Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SydneyGooner

Re: Unai Emery

Post by SydneyGooner »

This is a great post that I found elsewhere that really does put things in perspective
Pep's first season at City. The summer he arrived, on top of already having players like Aguero, D. Silva and De Bruyne he spend £190m on transfers to further strengthen his squad. Yet at the end of the season he just about managed to get in the top 4. Only finishing 3 points ahead of us in fifth. At times that season his team looked clueless, getting thumped 4 or 5 nil against Everton. Some people were already sure he would never succeed in England, his tiki taka football wasn't suited to the PL, or without Messi he wasn't anything special anyway. The points tally was even less than 4 of the 5 seasons prior to Pep joining City. So you could even make an argument City weren't even progressing under Pep.

Klopp took over Liverpool with just 8 league games played, went on to finish 8th that season. Imagine that? Below West ham and Southampton even. I wonder what the reaction would be to Emery if he finished that low in his first season. 2nd season Klopp just about made top 4, by a single point. He still hadn't sort out a lot of their problems. A small minority of Liverpool fans were getting vocal, saying Klopp's limit was probably top 4 because he couldn't sort out the defence even if his life depended on it.

These two managers are arguably the 2 best managers in this era, yet even they needed time to turn things around. Incidentally both of them had small minority of their fans questioning them early on. I know fans don't usually do patience. It is always sack at the first hint of struggle, get excited for next one, then repeat same process.

I'm not saying Emery is anywhere close to these two, I'm saying it takes time to see if he can be a success or not. End of this season is the right time. Criticise a particular aspect of his managing, no doubt he has made a lot of mistakes, but it is still too early to make a definite judgement that he is a clueless chancer and start to call him all kind of names.

Skooner

Post by Skooner »

SydneyGooner wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:50 am
This is a great post that I found elsewhere that really does put things in perspective
Pep's first season at City. The summer he arrived, on top of already having players like Aguero, D. Silva and De Bruyne he spend £190m on transfers to further strengthen his squad. Yet at the end of the season he just about managed to get in the top 4. Only finishing 3 points ahead of us in fifth. At times that season his team looked clueless, getting thumped 4 or 5 nil against Everton. Some people were already sure he would never succeed in England, his tiki taka football wasn't suited to the PL, or without Messi he wasn't anything special anyway. The points tally was even less than 4 of the 5 seasons prior to Pep joining City. So you could even make an argument City weren't even progressing under Pep.

Klopp took over Liverpool with just 8 league games played, went on to finish 8th that season. Imagine that? Below West ham and Southampton even. I wonder what the reaction would be to Emery if he finished that low in his first season. 2nd season Klopp just about made top 4, by a single point. He still hadn't sort out a lot of their problems. A small minority of Liverpool fans were getting vocal, saying Klopp's limit was probably top 4 because he couldn't sort out the defence even if his life depended on it.

These two managers are arguably the 2 best managers in this era, yet even they needed time to turn things around. Incidentally both of them had small minority of their fans questioning them early on. I know fans don't usually do patience. It is always sack at the first hint of struggle, get excited for next one, then repeat same process.

I'm not saying Emery is anywhere close to these two, I'm saying it takes time to see if he can be a success or not. End of this season is the right time. Criticise a particular aspect of his managing, no doubt he has made a lot of mistakes, but it is still too early to make a definite judgement that he is a clueless chancer and start to call him all kind of names.
Generally agree with this. No one is claiming Emery is one of the top managers out there but fans are so quick to conclude whether a manager is going to work or not. The criticism of his continued perseverance with Xhaka is completely justified, but his thinking might be that he wants to have a central midfielder with experience and that has been around the club for a while and Xhaka is the only current player that fits that brief. We've had a huge turnover of the squad since he arrived just over a year ago so keeping some continuity is possibly his goal.

There is also the question of who we'd bring in to replace him that is likely to get instant results with a squad in transition (and when I say instant i mean something like significantly improving the defence within a 12 month period). It certainly will be interesting to see how things play out next summer, particularly if someone like Allegri is available and makes noises about wanting to come to England, with our chances ironically better of enticing him if Emery gets us into the top 4.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SydneyGooner wrote:

Was agreeing with that until the fucking idiot claimed Stupid Teeth was one of the 2 best managers of this era. :oops:

Fuck no he is not.

Bottled 6 out of 7 finals. Hasn't won the PL. Was fucking blessed to win the worst CL competition in 20 years and extremely blessed to scrape through the final against the only manager in the world that is a bigger bottler ffs. :roll:

Modern fucking fans. :oops: :roll:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

SydneyGooner wrote:

Whilst there are some valid comparisons in this article it fails to detract the from the fact that we managed to drop 11 points out of our last 15 and blew our chances of getting 4th when in actuality we should have finished 3rd comfortably. Even Wenger never managed to bottle the end of a season quite so spectacularly, although he did try plenty of times.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

SydneyGooner wrote:

maybe I'm wrong but I can't remember Pep or the other numpty continuously picking a weak starting 11.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

SydneyGooner wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:51 am
Barring a calamitous fall down the table between now and the end of the season he's not going anywhere. So like the Despotic, Arrogant cuntbag said...

:?

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:54 pm
SydneyGooner wrote:

Whilst there are some valid comparisons in this article it fails to detract the from the fact that we managed to drop 11 points out of our last 15 and blew our chances of getting 4th when in actuality we should have finished 3rd comfortably. Even Wenger never managed to bottle the end of a season quite so spectacularly, although he did try plenty of times.

Agree that it is too early to call him a clueless chancer. Two things that do concern me -

Xhaka. Why has he seen through Mustafi but fails to see through this tit.

At the end of last season Dick had a choice to make over the ropey cup or top 4 at his first attempt. He chose the ropey cup and while he couldn't have guessed that we would implode the way we did after Everton he made his choice. He went after the 'glory' of the ropey cup, a competition consisting of none of Europe's top teams and with a piddly financial reward when he would have been better served finishing the league strongly and securing CL. That would have been a successful first year and resulted in serious cash from the CL which could have led to a proper CB signing this summer too. Going forward into this season from that platform would have given him a real chance of getting somewhere and certainly there would have been renewed interest in the CL as opposed to the utterly pointless second rate ropey cup.

There can be a fine line between success and failure and I can't help but think that Dick sometimes makes life overly difficult for himself.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:53 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
SydneyGooner wrote:

Agree that it is too early to call him a clueless chancer. Two things that do concern me -

At the end of last season Dick had a choice to make over the ropey cup or top 4 at his first attempt. He chose the ropey cup and while he couldn't have guessed that we would implode the way we did after Everton he made his choice. He went after the 'glory' of the ropey cup, a competition consisting of none of Europe's top teams and with a piddly financial reward when he would have been better served finishing the league strongly and securing CL. That would have been a successful first year and resulted in serious cash from the CL which could have led to a proper CB signing this summer too. Going forward into this season from that platform would have given him a real chance of getting somewhere and certainly there would have been renewed interest in the CL as opposed to the utterly pointless second rate ropey cup.

There can be a fine line between success and failure and I can't help but think that Dick sometimes makes life overly difficult for himself.
Tbh I don't really care if he stays for all this season and next, I've never been so bored of football as I am now, players on zillions of pounds a year and a lot of those show no passion for their club whatsoever.

I've had sky (and more recently bt sports) for as long as I can remember until recently when I thought, fuck this, I'm gonna save myself hundred squid a month and fuck em off.

It wasn't just because of the players, sky's decision to keep employing spit the Scouse and their obsession with torturing us with all these jumped up, subsidised "washer uppers", (they're even fuckin up the cricket commentary too :roll: ), well that's just too much for this guy.

I still play football, cricket and I kayak a lot so I'm not even missing it.

If I want to torture myself watching The Arsenal then i have an app on my firestick which I pay 45 quid for the whole year and it has all the sports channels, films and even midget porn db :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:32 am
Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:53 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
SydneyGooner wrote:

Tbh I don't really care if he stays for all this season and next, I've never been so bored of football as I am now, players on zillions of pounds a year and a lot of those show no passion for their club whatsoever.

I've had sky (and more recently bt sports) for as long as I can remember until recently when I thought, fuck this, I'm gonna save myself hundred squid a month and fuck em off.

It wasn't just because of the players, sky's decision to keep employing spit the Scouse and their obsession with torturing us with all these jumped up, subsidised "washer uppers", (they're even fuckin up the cricket commentary too :roll: ), well that's just too much for this guy.

I still play football, cricket and I kayak a lot so I'm not even missing it.

If I want to torture myself watching The Arsenal then i have an app on my firestick which I pay 45 quid for the whole year and it has all the sports channels, films and even midget porn db :wink:
:lol: :lol:

Do any of your old movies pop up on it you dirty little Ewok? :wink:

But just for arguments sake where would one purchase this dwarf porn gadget? Purely for arguments sake like.

And then I can argument my guts out. :lol: :wink:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

A bit harsh on Klopp. His team only lost one match all season, finished on 97points yet still came second to a team that completed a domestic clean sweep in England for the first time ever. Whether you like the club or not Klopp has galvanised Liverppol FC, close to the heights they held when I was growing up.
The other coaches to come near Guardiola and Klopp are mourinho, conte, simone and ancellotti. One of whom could have been our manager over the last two years. Personally, my preference would have been ancellotti but I was and still am happy with Emery. A few on this forum were hoping for Tuchel, Emery's predecessor at PSG, yet he has achieved less in his first season than emery did at PSG.
I suppose you can add Allegri but he inherited an already successful Juventus team and carried it on. It would be interesting to see how he deals with a tougher league in Spain or England.
The Xhaka blind spot is a similar situation to Klopp and Henderson. He must give something to the squad and have the respect of his peers.

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:42 pm
SydneyGooner wrote:

Was agreeing with that until the fucking idiot claimed Stupid Teeth was one of the 2 best managers of this era. :oops:

Fuck no he is not.

Bottled 6 out of 7 finals. Hasn't won the PL. Was fucking blessed to win the worst CL competition in 20 years and extremely blessed to scrape through the final against the only manager in the world that is a bigger bottler ffs. :roll:

Stop embarrassing yourself.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:27 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:42 pm
SydneyGooner wrote:

Fuck no he is not.

Stop embarrassing yourself.
Oh dear. I've upset a modern fanboy. :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:50 am
A bit harsh on Klopp. His team only lost one match all season, finished on 97points yet still came second to a team that completed a domestic clean sweep in England for the first time ever. Whether you like the club or not Klopp has galvanised Liverppol FC, close to the heights they held when I was growing up.
Don't agree mate. He's a good manager on his day certainly. Nothing more. Certainly not a great manager. This media myth of Stupid Teeth and Poxychinos being elite level great managers is silly. Great managers win leagues. There is no way around that no matter how much it upsets the modern social media obsessed fanboys. :wink:

When did you grow up btw? The late 90s? :wink: The great mouser teams won leagues. Heaps of them. And they did not bottle cup finals for fun.

The PL is at its lowest quality level for years. Stupid Teeth has a one dimensional team built around the astounding attacking qualities of 3 players and one very good defender that still shits the bed if you run at him. Anyone that honestly thinks the mousers won that CL last season based on quality is fucking delusional. It was the weakest CL in 20 years. They were steeped in luck and were beyond blessed to get the scum and their super elite bottler in the final.

You take any one of that front 3 out of that victims team and they are scrapping for top 4 at best.

This modern silly shit of elevating everyone to legend and genius level based as much on petsonality as results is ridiculous.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:11 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Don't agree mate. He's a good manager on his day certainly. Nothing more. Certainly not a great manager. This media myth of Stupid Teeth and Poxychinos being elite level great managers is silly. Great managers win leagues. There is no way around that no matter how much it upsets the modern social media obsessed fanboys. :wink:

When did you grow up btw? The late 90s? :wink: The great mouser teams won leagues. Heaps of them. And they did not bottle cup finals for fun.

The PL is at its lowest quality level for years. Stupid Teeth has a one dimensional team built around the astounding attacking qualities of 3 players and one very good defender that still shits the bed if you run at him. Anyone that honestly thinks the mousers won that CL last season based on quality is fucking delusional. It was the weakest CL in 20 years. They were steeped in luck and were beyond blessed to get the scum and their super elite bottler in the final.

You take any one of that front 3 out of that victims team and they are scrapping for top 4 at best.

This modern silly shit of elevating everyone to legend and genius level based as much on petsonality as results is ridiculous.
I'm flattered by your presumption :)
It's easy to dismiss Klopp's credentials as a manager because of who he manages. Made three european finals in a consecutive season which we've only managed in 19 years, and turned round a 26 point deficit in one season and got a splintered set of supporters back onside.
Now unless emery delivers the europa league, a domestic cup and a top 3 finish, he'll never get the support or kudos klopp gets.
In 2016 would we have accepted klopp as our manager, abso-fucking-lutely.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:41 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:11 pm
Nos89 wrote:

I'm flattered by your presumption :)
It's easy to dismiss Klopp's credentials as a manager because of who he manages. Made three european finals in a consecutive season which we've only managed in 19 years, and turned round a 26 point deficit in one season and got a splintered set of supporters back onside.
Now unless emery delivers the europa league, a domestic cup and a top 3 finish, he'll never get the support or kudos klopp gets.
In 2016 would we have accepted klopp as our manager, abso-fucking-lutely.
It's your youthful good looks. :D

Being totally honest here I wouldn't have taken Klopp. At that point Wenger's record of trophy wins was far superior and Wenger had totally gone to shit by then. I'd have jumped at Allegri or Simeone or Pep certainly but not Stupid Teeth.

Klopp is a "personality" manager not a true football tactician - he motivates players and sets a nice tone on the training ground but gets found out on the big occasions by tactically astute managers. No top world class manager bottles 6 out of 7 finals. If he manages to win 2 PL titles within a 5 year period I'd hold my hands up and say he is a top manager because that's what the top managers do - they win the league and then build another team if need be and go win it again.

As for getting the horrendously cunty victims fans back on board? Any gobshite that can wear a mouser baseball cap and kiss the badge and act like a bit of a lad would get those shallow braindead murdering vermin back onside. :wink: