Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
OneBardGooner

Re: Unai Emery

Post by OneBardGooner »

We need to start the hunt for a new manager NOW!

Allegri is on a 12 month sabbatical - Get him for the end of the season, or sooner of he will join.

John F

Post by John F »

John F wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:50 pm
Dick is well known for boring the pants off his players by playing endless videos of how they can improve their game.Has he not learnt from watching videos on how his past teams defended and now how Arsenal defend ,perhaps he watches endless runs of the well known defensive video Debbie does Dallas instead which would explain how the defence continues to not pick up the opposition players near the box until they are down their throats and nodding one in.
Someone give him the right video of all the defensive fuck-ups under his management quickly .

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

I called him out over the football we played during the great unbeaten run last year.

I called him out for putting the mickey mouse ropey cup before securing a top four finish last season.

I literally make a tit of myself at matches going mental when Leno continues to play it short at the back.

I now pray that we concede corners rather than get goal kicks.

The fu.ckwit continues to persist with Xhaka.

He allowed Luiz to come to our club.

He went for Pepe instead of a CB.

I didn't want to make kneejerk reactions about Dick but while I want him to do well he is making a tit of himself far too often.

Bottom line is I really only want the Arsenal to do well so if that is beyond Dick then we need him to go.

If Allegri is available for next season then the powers that be better be having a good old think about how we are going forward. You have to be prepared to review progress, look at all the evidence and if you are wrong then admit it and make the necesssary changes.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:44 pm

Allegri is on a 12 month sabbatical - Get him for the end of the season, or sooner of he will join.
We’re in the exact same position we were with wenger (except we owe emery diddly fucking squat)
I don’t give a fuck who comes in, what’s important is that we get shot of what isn’t working!
I don’t care if we need to change managers 6 times in the next 3 seasons!
What’s important is to recognise incompetence and failure to get the basics right , like this clown has failed from day one!
What’s important is that we’re not stuck in the nostalgic idealism that we’re not a club that changes it’s manager every 6 months
What’s important is that we are a club that will change it’s manager every 6 months until we get it right!!
I’m fucked off with “moral soap box “ posters like anti fucking brexiteers attempting to protect us from ourselves.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

rodders999 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:33 pm
The 4-4 at Newcastle was the day Wenger was dead to me. Today’s 2-2 signals Emery’s demise.

He hasn’t a fucking clue, just saw this on Twitter-

“Arsenal have conceded 59 goals in 43 Premier League games under Unai Emery”

:roll:
Has to be a sackable offence

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:44 pm

He wont join a club with modest ambition, just because we spent a few quid (and it was a few quid) in the summer doesn't mean we're suddenly ambitious, he's already turned us down before we got Emery because we were not prepared to spend the money required to get us back to being really competitive.

If we had ambition we'd have sacked Emery in the summer, but instead we let him stay on another year, why?, because KSE don't want to pay any compensation out and would rather just let his contract run down.

We're a f*cking cheapskate operation from top to bottom, rapidly losing interest in whatever we do.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

Today was incredibly bad, firstly when a shit Watford team has 31 shots on you, you know you fucked up tactically. Add to that his insistence on getting an already shit defence to play out from the back and you start to wonder, how the fuck is this guy managing our club. Then above everything, he still thinks Xhaka is the answer, despite proving he is beyond shit, weekly. Everything is pointing towards getting rid of Emery and no matter how early in the season it is, reality needs to hit home, sooner rather than later.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

We seem to be playing 5-a side football rules on a full size pitch.
Centre backs aren't ball players, our midfielders aren't defending or creating.
Our best players on the pitch aren't getting the ball.
Emery may well be coaching the players but who is giving out the tactical instructions???
I don't believe I saw Seville play like that ever.
The defenders are getting pulverised in the media, by fans and pundits. Yet, they are only following direction they are given, surely one of them or two of them need to make an on the pitch decision.
I might even put a proper paragraph together, but I 'm too fucking annoyed :banghead: :banghead:

bunch

Post by bunch »

I think that the only way Emery wont see out the season is if it becomes clear that we wont get top 4 under him AND it is possible that another manger could turn it around. So if by start of the new year top 4 looks unlikely then we might see a change.

If we dont get top 4 this season, pretty sure he will be gone. Even if we do, he may be gone anyway as his contract has a break clause at 2 years I have heard. So getting rid of him will not require a pay off.

The way the club is set up now the manager should be viewed as similar to a player; talent to be used but discarded quickly when better options are available.

I also get the impression that the manager isnt responsible for buying and selling players. He'll state his requirements for additions and who in the current squad can be let go but the decisions on allocation of cash on transfers and wages is above him.

These two things are a HUGE change from the bulk of the Wenger years.

Now, the manager's responsibilities are coaching, tactics, team selection and in-game management. Yesterday at Watford was a clear fail on at least 3 of those four major responsibilies.

More days like yesterday, and we've seen these failings from Emery last season as well, and he will be gone at the end of the season, top 4 or no. It just adds to the impression that he isnt getting the most out of the talent available to him.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

i remain right behind Emery.

Firstly just a reminder that we have Stan Kroenke in charge, so nothing is going to change very quickly , and even if it does then we won't get anyone any better than Emery.

Secondly we all know that the defence is a makeshift one at the moment - Holding, Bellerin and Tierney will gradually come in. Yes if we still concede goals like yesterday then there is a problem, but I am prepared to wait and see when they all come in.

Thirdly we all knew it was going to take time to recover from the Wenger era. This is another work in progress season.
Lets see if Pepe improves as he adapts to the PL.

augie

Post by augie »

As I said already, right now I am barely on the fence as to whether emery should go or not, but what I will say is this ………. I cannot face another period of sustained bickering amongst Arsenal fans over whether a manager should be sacked or not. Last time it happened it drained every bit of energy and passion I had for the club (something I still haven't fully recovered), so if it came to a choice between sacking him or going through it again, then I would sack him.

Two quick pointers I will disagree with though -

1. Jock blamed him for buying pepe over a centre back - transfers are done above him now and of that there is no doubt

2. sid says that he doesn't care if we change managers 6 times in 3 years, and I would suggest that continually changing managers is giving us no chance of getting back to where we need to be - any future new manager has to be given time

Herd

Post by Herd »

We made Watford look like Liverpool today ,the shape was all wrong again but in the first half we created 3 clear chances and took two of them.
Instead of consolidating we decide to have a go at playground tactics where half the team goal hang and the others cluster around their own goal area leaving acres of empty space in between .
You can blame Maitland Niles but he's out of position and was often left to deal with two players ,you can blame Socratis but he's been told to play out from the back ,ditto with Side Show Bob ,you can Blame Davis Luiz because he needs to give up a goal a game ,but then he shouldn't be on the pitch ,ditto with Xhaka .
No for me it ends with Emery ,he simply doesn't do defense and quite frankly doesn't seem to do much except fuck up week in week out
Every Manager needs time to adjust but his tactics are too easily read and countered !
His use of subs yesterday had me baffled ?
His Team selection, and tactics he clearly demonstrate that he doesn't know how to operate in the Premier League .
I never thought I'd ever see another manager/coach at Arsenal talk such utter shit at a press conference after Wenger either but I find that he is outwengering wenger with his bull !
No Point in Sacking him now but end of the season he needs to go unless there's a radical change in direction !
On another note the more I see of Pepe the more I see Gervinho !

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

After the Spurs game - where to be fair we did show some genuine bottle to come back and play like that - I just realised that we will be doing the same thing next year, in 2 years time, in 3 years time etc under Emery.

He is a likeable bloke, he has made quite consistently good signings, we are playing some ok stuff and we might have a tiny bit more bottle (although that’s not saying much). It would take anybody time to really turn around this team and even with time then we don’t have the budget to expect to bridge the gap to City and Liverpool.

But we are just as appalling defensively as we have been, we are absolute powderpuff on the road and we still lack leadership. He inexplicably keeps playing Xhaka and when they’re all fit he will spend the rest of the season trying to crowbar our best attacking players into a 4-5-1 system that doesn’t fit them with our most effective attacker by far stuck out on the wing where he does little. Bringing on Willock and Nelson yesterday when we were sinking was staggering.

I would give him more time to work with his squad as I don’t think sacking him now would really do any good, but I am firmly of the view that he is not the best option for us and that we should be keeping an eye out for a manager this year. Although we won’t.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

The 2007/8 Derby team that got relegated with just 11 points were the worst premier league side of all time. After the first 5 games of that season they'd allowed opposition teams to have 82 shots on their goal, after 5 games this season we've allowed 96 on ours.

That's how bad Emery is on defense and we're getting worse. Get rid.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

augie wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:16 am
As I said already, right now I am barely on the fence as to whether emery should go or not, but what I will say is this ………. I cannot face another period of sustained bickering amongst Arsenal fans over whether a manager should be sacked or not. Last time it happened it drained every bit of energy and passion I had for the club (something I still haven't fully recovered), so if it came to a choice between sacking him or going through it again, then I would sack him.

Two quick pointers I will disagree with though -

1. Jock blamed him for buying pepe over a centre back - transfers are done above him now and of that there is no doubt

2. sid says that he doesn't care if we change managers 6 times in 3 years, and I would suggest that continually changing managers is giving us no chance of getting back to where we need to be - any future new manager has to be given time
The point i’m making Augie is that we shouldn’t hold back from sacking a manager mid season if it clearly isn’t working.
I obviously don’t want 6 managers in 3 years, but I’d prefer that to persisting one day longer than necessary with a manager who isn’t up to the job!