Villa (H) Sun 22/09 @ 16:30

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
clockender1

Re: Villa (H) Sun 22/09 @ 16:30

Post by clockender1 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:43 pm
Emery: ''Xhaka is a very important player for us. He has a big commitment and he is improving. I am not asking people to support him but I am sure he is going to achieve the best things if the supporters help him.”

He ain't dropping Xhaka anytime soon. :banghead:
I dont get it at all. He played okay in a five on thursday but he cannot turn defence into attack, nor break up the play in a three.

He leaves Luiz vulnerable. Who i hope is a stop gap for Holding.

I can only think Dick is under pressure from the Board to protect the investment in Xhaka, especially as we cant even offload Mustafi or Ozil.

Once again, Dick says we have to do better defensively so he knows we are weak, but the players are not picking it up.

Its bloody frustrating.

wibble

Post by wibble »

Up level with West Ham and Leicester. One point ahead of Bournemouth.
Let the good times roll :barscarf:

This league really is shit

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

I was going to post at 2-1 down that even if some unlikely miracle happened and we came back to win (thank fuck for miracles by the way) then we need to get rid of Emery and the sooner the better.

Now first things first, well fucking played to dig out the win while behind with 10 men and the clock against us (9 of you discount that piece of shit Xhaka) but we are an absolute shambles out on the pitch.

We’ve scored 11 and conceded 10 so far this season, it’s fucking carnage. We won’t have any easy games were we put a game to bed early and are able to take the foot of the pedal with an eye to the next game because we are pissing in goals left right and centre. Before every game now you’re thinking we’ll need 3 to win.

The defence is a mess, the screen from midfield non existent and the two center backs are abysmal. Even after the joy and relief of getting the win today comes the depressing realisation that the good ship Arsenal is heading directly for the iceberg.

We just about avoided contact today but with average Unai at the wheel you just know we will be taking on water sooner or later. His baffling obsession with Xhaka, his inability to put together any sort of defensive structure, his pidgin English where nobody (players included by all accounts) has a fucking clue what he’s on about and the fact that his managerial style is insipidly beige means this is ending in tears, just a matter of how soon it all goes down in flames.

Happy Sunday peeps :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Emery's post match interview with BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49705154

Zanatos3

Post by Zanatos3 »

xisstential wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:54 pm
Fair play to Xhaka there , he jogged back alongside the bloke before giving up, not all the way mind, but a little way into the box at least. Nice to see some effort from our captain :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:
:tumbleweed: now you guys see what i've been talking about

Headline:Arsenal player ratings: Matteo Guendouzi inspires comeback; Granit Xhaka must be dropped
ByJames Benge
18:25, 22 SEP 2019
LINK
https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... i-16962914

Piece

Player Ratings

Granit Xhaka
That Arsenal fans turned on him so vocally when they cheered his substitution feels like a momentous moment. So did the fact the Gunners' midfield was better with 10 men and no Xhaka than 11 men and the Swiss midfielder. (3)

Midz

Post by Midz »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:08 pm
Emery's post match interview with BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49705154
I respect the fact that he conducts his interviews in English and he's definitely improving his language skills. Now if he could just do the same with the team we'd be happier.
That interview was quite endearing. I'm sure he said Adebayor at one point.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Winning after being twice behind and with 10 men .....wow

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Only watching the highlights now and that’s a fucking stonewall penalty at the end there.

Sokrites has turned from a solid performer last season into an absolute liability this time round. Himself and Luiz must be the worst central defensive partnership in the league. They’re toilet.

scotgooner

Post by scotgooner »

Haven’t read through everything yet but did see Augie saying we should sell Auba at the next opportunity?

I usually agree with 99% of what you say but you must be having a laugh with this one.

Not only is he a prolific goal scorer but he is helping the young players develop and every time he scores he celebrates in a way that shows Arsenal means something to him.

You are frighteningly wrong on this one Augie my good man.

Blim

Post by Blim »

rodders999 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:31 pm
Only watching the highlights now and that’s a fucking stonewall penalty at the end there.

Sokrites has turned from a solid performer last season into an absolute liability this time round. Himself and Luiz must be the worst central defensive partnership in the league. They’re toilet.
They are playing like the chuckle brothers , come to think of it the whole defence need sorting out and so does the manager.

General

Post by General »

Sokratis/Luiz is possibly the worst centre back partnership in the PL.

Blim

Post by Blim »

General wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:52 am
Sokratis/Luiz is possibly the worst centre back partnership in the PL.
Sokratis was playing well last season WTF has happened to him :?

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

scotgooner wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:28 am
Haven’t read through everything yet but did see Augie saying we should sell Auba at the next opportunity?

I usually agree with 99% of what you say but you must be having a laugh with this one.

Not only is he a prolific goal scorer but he is helping the young players develop and every time he scores he celebrates in a way that shows Arsenal means something to him.

He's (Augie) correct - me thinks. This year he's missed as many easy chances as he's scored. Sometimes that says more about how good a striker is as much as the goals he scores. Reminds me of the Wonder kid Theoooh !!. In his early Dortmund days he was magic.. How many years ago was that. We all lose it as we get older even park footballers.
As for the game - Lucky Arsenal. Can't wait for the young back 4, Bellend, Holding, Chambers & the scotsman. :barscarf: :barscarf:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Please tell me you didn’t just liken Aubameyang to Theo?

TELL ME YOU DIDN’T JUST DO THAT :shock:

augie

Post by augie »

scotgooner wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:28 am

The very MINIMUM we should expect from our players is 100% effort and work-rate ……………. auba was nowhere near 50%. I'm not advocating a Robbie savage type of player should be in there (before the midget mod jumps all over this :wink: ), but fcuk me at least make some effort for your team. What kind of message is it sending to the young players when he strolls through the game ? Does it tell them that when you are a superstar you dont have to work hard and your team-mates will do the work for you ?

It's easy be billy big bollox when the team is going well and you are getting on the end of the moves, but what about when the team is under pressure and needs you ? He is one of the more experienced players in the team, and when the team is struggling and maybe showing some panic as they are chasing the game, he needs to step up and lead them through that panic. When the crowd are getting edgy (like yesterday), simple things like running your nuts off and closing down clearances can help lift them when they see how much effort is being put in. The media like to harp on about how he misses laca alongside him cos they are close friends, but the reality is that he misses laca cos he does all the work for him and he isnt half the player without him.