Standard Liege (H) EL 03/10 @ 20:00

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: Standard Liege (H) EL 03/10 @ 20:00

Post by augie »

A few days ago someone on here was suggesting that it might be a good idea to drop leno and play martinelli ………….. I'd say tonights performance has that person having a serious rethink :rubchin: The guy was all over the place on crosses and certainly didnt inspire confidence on a night that he didnt have much to do.

Pepe's body language on the pitch is every bit as bad as his performances on the pitch .......... in other words it has been shit :roll: FFS can someone give this guy a bollocking and let him know that, even if he hasnt hit form yet, showing a bit of passion and work-rate will buy him time with the fans until he settles in. He looks like he does not give a shit, and he plays like it too

Btw, maitland-niles might have complained about playing right full, but he was never a right winger so dont claim that he was played in his proper position tonight either. He was a centre midfielder and he was a promising one at that - if he was to fail and not make it with us then I would prefer if he was playing in his best position and found to be not good enough.

clummo123

Post by clummo123 »

clummo123

Post by clummo123 »

Was never very good with Photoshop, sorry. :lol:

clummo123

Post by clummo123 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:31 pm
Is it just me or does R-Nelson not look all that :?
Nope, not just you.

Willock has the potential to be a player. Nelson has the potential to be the new Iwobi.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Even after a 4-0 sauntering win in the Europa League there is still negativity against our own players.

The team looked well balanced, performed solidly and kept another clean sheet. I thought Nelson, Willock and AMN played well enough. Star of the show was Tierney. He looks like a proper left back in the mould of Winterburn and Cole. Martinelli looks like a proper player too. The back four looked organised and comfortable. Even Mustafi looks a more confident player in this cup team. I didn't see any silly lunging tackles from him. They stayed on their feet and defended as you'd expect them too. Torreira was the only one that made a couple of dodgy tackles, which in the Premier League may well have been given as free kicks.

I bet this cup team beats the league starting XI every week.

Good to see Bellerin although he'll need a few more matches before he's up to speed. Good performance, good game management and a lot of positives that hopefully will roll over onto Sunday.

clummo123

Post by clummo123 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:39 pm
4-0. 8)
:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :lol:

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

Enjoyed watching this lot play much more than the weekend mob. Chambers in for Mustafi and we might have a team for the future. 4-0 will do nicely. :barscarf: :barscarf:

NickF

Post by NickF »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:49 pm
Good match, no injuries, clean sheet , four goals plenty of chances and some excellent performances. Teirney, Holding and Hector making 90 mins is a good thing for us too :barscarf:
I thought exactly the same, however you'd think we lost with (usual) moaning. Just enjoy the win and discuss the negatives tomorrow...

Herd

Post by Herd »

A full back who can cross that's a novelty we havent had since Ashley Cole left us .
Je looks good but we havent seen him defend yet.We ripped Liege Apart with ease. Enjoyable game.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

4-0 at home? meh... i remember back in 1993 when we hammered Liege 7-0 away, with 10 Englishman and a Dane 8) :barscarf:

even Eddie mcgoldrick (my favourite player at the time :oops: ) scored a goal!

those were the days 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

g88ner wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:13 am
4-0 at home? meh... i remember back in 1993 when we hammered Liege 7-0 away, with 10 Englishman and a Dane 8) :barscarf:

even Eddie mcgoldrick (my favourite player at the time :oops: ) scored a goal!

those were the days 8)
Fuck you tennis boy! :box: Snowy McGolderick was not Ingerlish - he was a Plastic Paddy. I think his mother's cousin once drank an Irish Coffee and he qualified for us. 8)

:lol: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Martinelli and Tierney were superb. An easy win against a shit team but an enjoyable match to watch. Every time Tierney lifted a cross into the box I just kept getting 1990s flashbacks - I think that was the last time I saw a left back whip in so many perfect crosses.

Nelson and AMN both looked complete shit again. Forget the playing out of his position excuse for AMN he hasn't even got the basics of touch and pass right.

I feel sorry for Pepe because he's now at that stage where he is trying too hard to do the right thing in and around the box and when there's two or more options on he is feeling his own pressure and his head goes. His confidence looks shot.

Good to see Holding back. Hopefully he can get back to where he was before his ACL went.

Bellend.... I dunno.... first game back so gotta cut him some slack but he just seemed like the old Bellend that trots forward with the ball, won't put the afterburner on and take his man down the line, and then turns in or back and short passes the responsibility away. Jury still out I suppose....

Anyway a great win and an enjoyable game to watch. 8)

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:31 am
Martinelli and Tierney were superb. An easy win against a shit team but an enjoyable match to watch. Every time Tierney lifted a cross into the box I just kept getting 1990s flashbacks - I think that was the last time I saw a left back whip in so many perfect crosses.

Nelson and AMN both looked complete shit again. Forget the playing out of his position excuse for AMN he hasn't even got the basics of touch and pass right.

I feel sorry for Pepe because he's now at that stage where he is trying too hard to do the right thing in and around the box and when there's two or more options on he is feeling his own pressure and his head goes. His confidence looks shot

Good to see Holding back. Hopefully he can get back to where he was before his ACL went.

Bellend.... I dunno.... first game back so gotta cut him some slack but he just seemed like the old Bellend that trots forward with the ball, won't put the afterburner on and take his man down the line, and then turns in or back and short passes the responsibility away. Jury still out I suppose....

Same here. It was almost painful watching him try too hard. We have to remember that he's a young fella in a new culture and league. Martinelli had every right to go for his hattrick at the end but sadly blocked pepe from a certain goal. That's football I suppose. Hopefully the rest of the team are helping him off the pitch

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:58 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:31 am

I feel sorry for Pepe because he's now at that stage where he is trying too hard to do the right thing in and around the box and when there's two or more options on he is feeling his own pressure and his head goes. His confidence looks shot

Same here. It was almost painful watching him try too hard. We have to remember that he's a young fella in a new culture and league. Martinelli had every right to go for his hattrick at the end but sadly blocked pepe from a certain goal. That's football I suppose. Hopefully the rest of the team are helping him off the pitch
I actually thought Pepe was quicker than he seems to have been this season in some of our games. Don't know if thats because he is thinking too hard and worrying about ball retention but haven't really seen him stretch any defenders apart from Van Dijk maybe.

With less time on the ball in the PL, it will take time for him to get going. He is under pressure though, people are already questioning the £72m fee, a pressure he has never had before in his life. Personally, I give him a season to get settled. Its still early doors.

augie

Post by augie »

I just don't see this "trying too hard" thing is coming from with pepe - for me he saunters around uninterested :?