Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Unai Emery

Post by DB10GOONER »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:38 pm
General wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:44 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:33 pm
General wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:58 pm
Herd wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:51 pm
Just think of the festive atmosphere at the Corporates on Saturday ,it will be a wonderful family affair .
Theres plenty of people out there struggling to make ends meet and feed their families but this super rich talentless wanker throws a strop
and he's offered counselling ,you couldn't make this shit up .
I bet you Xhaka is rested or has picked up an injury and won't not even be present in the stadium this Saturday,if he does that's the end of him at Arsenal, however if he even has the balls to play or better still hold up a banner saying sorry ,he will win my respect for at least being a man about it !
The Club have made a huge issue of this on the website ,for me it's another rod for the back of the manager whose reign I think will soon be over .
The abuse has been going on for months now. His wife has recently given birth (days) and you have idiots sending him death threats and saying they hope his child dies etc. One of the worst fanbases in football can give out but cannot take. He has nothing to say sorry for.

What abuse are you referring to? At the bowl Xhaka doesn't get much in the way of abuse......until he made a tit of himself on Sunday.

There are and always have been the kind of idiots that send stupid messages / death threats in society and that's clearly wrong but that doesn't give him a pass for what he did. He has had several days to simply say sorry which wouldn't cut any slack with me but would be the socially acceptable way to give him a bit of breathing space but he has not taken that route and has simply changed his twatter pic to a Swiss national pic instead.

Do you think that other high profile people in all industries are immune to idiots having a pop or is it just poor old Xhaka who is the only recipient of such misplaced attention. Of course not but most of them get on with it and ignore the dross.

One of the worst fanbases in football - based on what exactly. I have read nothing but shit in the papers this week about the toxicity at the bowl and the fickle fan base from wan.ky reporters who don't pay a penny to watch the same crap that costs me well over a couple of grand for two tickets every year. Of course those pr.icks are being paid to go and write about an event that without us fickle fans ceases to exist which is often a conveniently forgotten fact. If AFC is a business then I am a customer and as a customer I and many more at the bowl are entitled to a service or a standard of quality which has been largely missing for the last 10 years...a bigger seat than I used to have at Highbury doesn't quite cut it for me.

So have a long hard think about jumping onto the media bandwagon of slagging the fanbase as an entirety rather than the usual small minority and do not confuse fickle with those fans who have been going for years and can recognise a shit.fest when we see one and are expected to continue paying for it.

Finally, you say he has nothing to say sorry for - that beggars belief, what planet do you live on?
I have no idea where you get your news but Xhaka has been targeted for months, both on and off the pitch, and it reached a crescendo on Sunday. What exactly was his crime? Playing badly or giving back some of the abuse? Some of these high-profile celebrities give it back in equal measure and Xhaka is no exception.

Let's not confuse the mediocrity on display which fans have a right to voice their displeasure about with incessant personal abuse borne out of frustration and perceived lack of effort. An ex Arsenal player whose name I won’t disclose stepped forward with the obligatory demand that he should apologise. Of course no apology forthcoming from this very same ex-player after he let of a volley of abuse from the changing rooms at Highbury following a dreadful team display.

By 2008 I'd seen enough and gave up going to the bowl regularly. I've been back occasionally over the years and it's terrifying to see what our fanbase has morphed into. No offence to the old school fans but I make no apologies when I say it's collectively one of the worst in football and the vast majority almost certainly started going after we moved. When we did the first Wenger out march 2 years ago, you had so called fans sitting on the parapets outside the bridge filming us as if we were freaks. It was a sight to behold.

Xhaka has nothing to apologise for as far as I’m concerned. Time lapse since incident suggests a lack contrition on his part and any apology would be purely symbolic to please the snowflakes and easily offended. Ultimately, he’s not good enough for this club and this is what needs to be addressed.

I think I would firstly question your sources on Xhaka. I speak with first hand experience of Xhaka's treatment at every home match since his arrival and some away fixtures too so I guess I can say that I speak with a fair degree of authority on the way he is received by fans at matches. Again, I had not heard any significant outpouring of frustration with Xhaka until Sunday. There have been many moments of exasparation with him but nothing worthy of the term "abuse" which you use.

He is clearly targeted on here as substandard but that is not reflected at the bowl or he would have been booed long before Sunday. Don't forget he was only given a bit by fans when he chose to just wander off the park on Sunday when we were having to chase a winner after his contribution to their second goal which was taking the piss. That turned to boos when he decided to spit the dummy. If he had trotted off the pitch then the whole incident probably wouldn't have happened so he brought it on himself and again the boos only started after he threw his strop. HIs lack of discipline, the needless yellow cards, the stupid challenges, the failures to track back, the repeated wayward passses - all his failings that we have witnessed and are well documented on here finally manifested themselves in that moment and he got a bit of what he deserved. As fans we have no other way of communicating our feelings so the basic boo is all we can offer up.

I don't accept that the vast majority of our fans started going after the move. You only have to look around the place and see the number of 40 - 50 somethings (and older) in the place to appreciate that there is still a majority of old school still there. I fully agree that some of the modern fan set are a huge embarrassment but then that is also a reflection of a snowflakey generation and is no doubt repeated across the country at other clubs too. Unfortunately as the Arsenal and being based in London we seem to be easy fodder for the media to highlight these clowns. Your experience of the march being filmed can't come as a huge shock to you as most kids (and a worrying amount of adults for that matter) feel the need to live their lives behind a phone camera - that's part of modern society which along with social media leads to the publicity / hysteria that surround current events.

Xhaka is not good enough for the Arsenal and should never have been at our club let alone our captain and that is a damning indictment on wenker, Emery and our current squad who voted for him. There are days when I can understand why people have chucked it in but a defence of Xhaka as some sort of a victim borders on the snowflakey in itself in my opinion. I couldn't care less if he apologises or not, that carries no weight with me but if he wanted a chance to carry on at the club in a stalemate truce like situation until he is shown the door then a quick apology would have worked in his favour. Now if Dick tries to bring him back he will raise further questions on the stability of his tenure and only serve to hasten his own exit no doubt accompanied by Xhaka too.
This 100%. 8)
Saved me a lot of typing there Jock. :wink:

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

Emery is going to get the boot at some point in the next two or three seasons the only question is when. It’s less the results and more the evidence that he hasn’t got a clue what he’s trying to do. Falling out with the star player and constantly relying on the bit of quality already at the club to dig him out of tactical ditches. A modern era Bruce Rioch. Also traces of David Moyes, a manager the whole world and his dog believed was ready to “move up a level” when in reality he was already at exactly the right level which was the reason he was flourishing.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

One of the saving graces for wanker was going on a flat track bully run to sneak top 4 and appease some of the more delusional elements of our fan-base. Emery could'nt pick up a win when the opposition was Sheffield United, Palace or l'pools B team. This is heading towards us being cast adrfit in 6th or 7th unless we get rid. It still amazes me that people are backing him.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

One of the things i find nonsensical with those who defend UE is the actual job he is doing, he is the head coach only. We rightly criticised Wenger over his all encompassing 'rule' of the club and everything within it, but the fact is that AW was doing far too much for one man which massively reflected in the dross on show on the pitch for season after season.

UE has none of that, he is the Head Coach only, he has a Technical Director, Footballing Director and a Business Director above him now so his one and sole job is to concentrate on training and preparing the team for match day and he can't get that right.

I'm not in any way defending Wenger because the man was an unmitigated egomaniacal arse who was left to run rampant by weak superiors for far too long but if there is any mitigation in comparison to his coaching over UEs it is that he was wrongly allowed far far more to do and that detracted from his main job,.

UE has to go, he is simply not up to the challenges of the Premier League, there are far less able coaches with weaker squads whose teams are outplaying his and that is a truly damning indictment of his ability.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

right I am going to hold my hands up here and say I was wrong about Emery.

I have been one of the few on here to defend him, despite growing evidence that he is not up to the job.
last night I finally realised that he hasn't got a clue. For me it comes to down to the defence. He just does not know how to set a team up to defend.
I have probably only been patient with him this long, because Wenger's teams were so bad at defending, I had got used to watching such rubbish! :D

But last night was just unbelievable. To let academy players just run through and score FIVE times against our more experienced team was embarrassing. Emery has managed to make our already crap defence even worse than before! :oops:

I was previously thinking that maybe Emery should be given until Christmas to sort things out, this morning I think he should be given until the next international break. 2 league games where we need a minimum of 4 points, if he doesnt get them then he should go. Mourinho has said he is available. I say get him in and get him to sort out the defence. For those that dont want him well he never stays anywhere for long anyway, so I would think he will only be here 2 years, but that will be time for him to sort the defence out and get us competing again.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

The reality is, it does not matter who played last night at the back for us, we would still have shipped 5. Had Liverpool played their first choice back four it's unlikely we would have scored at all. We would have left there as 5-1 or 5-0 losers

And as for Xhaka, he has left it to late to apologise and even if he did now it would be seen as something he has been told to do rather than what he feels is the right thing to do. How Emery now deals with this is going to cause more toxicity.

Ozil is obviously persona non grata but he didn't blatantly act out like this in front of millions of people. So how is Dick going to justify welcoming Xhaka back with open arms....and he will.

augie

Post by augie »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:32 am

I have been one of the few on here to defend him, despite growing evidence that he is not up to the job.
last night I finally realised that he hasn't got a clue. For me it comes to down to the defence. He just does not know how to set a team up to defend.
I have probably only been patient with him this long, because Wenger's teams were so bad at defending, I had got used to watching such rubbish! :D

But last night was just unbelievable. To let academy players just run through and score FIVE times against our more experienced team was embarrassing. Emery has managed to make our already crap defence even worse than before! :oops:

I was previously thinking that maybe Emery should be given until Christmas to sort things out, this morning I think he should be given until the next international break. 2 league games where we need a minimum of 4 points, if he doesnt get them then he should go. Mourinho has said he is available. I say get him in and get him to sort out the defence. For those that dont want him well he never stays anywhere for long anyway, so I would think he will only be here 2 years, but that will be time for him to sort the defence out and get us competing again.

If this c.unt comes in as manager of AFC then you can automatically dispense of auba, ozil, smith-rowe, Willock, saka and a few more into the bargain. Look at the type of football moaninho teams play and the type of players he likes, and you will see that talented ballers is not really his thing :roll: We would have a team full of matic type players, and if you think that emery has lost the dressing room, wait and see how long it will take to have 75% of the squad against him :roll:

I really, really don't want this c.unt anywhere near my club, and I don't care how bad things have got, they aint got bad enough to justify appointing that wa.nker :evil:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

augie wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:47 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:32 am

If this c.unt comes in as manager of AFC then you can automatically dispense of auba, ozil, smith-rowe, Willock, saka and a few more into the bargain. Look at the type of football moaninho teams play and the type of players he likes, and you will see that talented ballers is not really his thing :roll: We would have a team full of matic type players, and if you think that emery has lost the dressing room, wait and see how long it will take to have 75% of the squad against him :roll:

I really, really don't want this c.unt anywhere near my club, and I don't care how bad things have got, they aint got bad enough to justify appointing that wa.nker :evil:
100% Augie, as much as i want emery gone, theres no point in making an appointment doomed to fail and leave us in an even worse mess

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

This 100%. 8)
Saved me a lot of typing there Jock. :wink:
[/quote]

Most welcome but I can't help but think that I should have stuck with my first draft which read -

Xhaka is a cu.nt and I'm gonna boo him on Saturday if he plays.

More succinct :lol:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

cameron326 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:44 am
Emery is going to get the boot at some point in the next two or three seasons the only question is when. It’s less the results and more the evidence that he hasn’t got a clue what he’s trying to do. Falling out with the star player and constantly relying on the bit of quality already at the club to dig him out of tactical ditches. A modern era Bruce Rioch. Also traces of David Moyes, a manager the whole world and his dog believed was ready to “move up a level” when in reality he was already at exactly the right level which was the reason he was flourishing.
Nicely put.

Without Auba I wonder where Dick would be by now :rubchin:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:00 pm
cameron326 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:44 am
Nicely put.

Without Auba I wonder where Dick would be by now :rubchin:
Up shit creek and we'd be hovering around 15th on the league :shock:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Eddie Howe ?

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:20 pm
Eddie Howe ?
Arsene Who?

8)

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:37 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:20 pm
Eddie Howe ?
Arsene Who?

8)

All joking aside, for years I advocated getting rid of the senile French cock and cited possible replacements like horse teeth, pep, conte etc ……… what possibilities are out there now ? :rubchin: I dont believe that allegri (or any A list manager) would be interested in joining us, so where we are then is anybodies guess ? PV4 ? Howe ? Wolves manager ? Maybe some European manager ? Fcuk knows who we would go after, but we do need a new manager, and we don't need moaninho or wenker (or arteta and henry either)

NickF

Post by NickF »

xisstential wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:34 am
The reality is, it does not matter who played last night at the back for us, we would still have shipped 5. Had Liverpool played their first choice back four it's unlikely we would have scored at all. We would have left there as 5-1 or 5-0 losers
The defence has been poor for many seasons now. Can't remember the exact quote but when Emery joined he said something about winning games 4 - 3. This is the same as the last manager, neglecting the defence.

Until we get decent defenders AND organise them properly nothing is really going to change. It is kind of looking like Emery is going to be another Rioch, treading water until a better manager comes in.

As for Xhaka apology, personally I don't think it is necessary, he acted like an idiot in the heat of the moment. Unfortunately I would imagine we haven't seen the last of him. He is certainly part of the problem but he definitely isn't THE problem.