Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

Re: Unai Emery

Post by SteveO 35 »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:52 am
The board and owner 100% behind him, of course they are because they don't want to pay him off.

When is the wiggy out campaign ever going to start?

When all the supporters groups got together during the summer I thought that the wheels were starting to turn.
Our sad case fans can't see beyond the manager can they?

Fooled by a transfer window that was better than nearly all of the previous ones (wouldn't be hard would it) whilst failing to realise its the sort of investment that West Ham and Everton have been outperforming. Pepe paid for over 5 years, a cast off on loan from Madrid, someone from the SPL that none of the top teams in this country were interested in, an 18 year old from Brazil. Oh, chuck in the Chavski cast off too. The way our trendy beards reacted you'd have thought we signed Alysson and Van Dijk (I think thats what you call an effective transfer window).

Of course it would have helped if the previous C.unts In Arms (Gazidis and Wenger) had actually tied some of our better players to long term deals (Alexis, Ramsey) so that we'd have had some additional funds to invest

I still can't understand why people think this squad is somehow equipped to be in the top 4. Everyone above us, including Sheffield United, have a better defence and I don't care whether Mourinho, Allegri or Dyche got the job......until someone takes a wrecking ball to the back line, signs a proper right back (not a converted winger), the sort of commanding CB that has been missing for years, and a proper shielding player in front of them (yeah not the Swiss dollop that shit for brains spent 32m on), this team will continue to concede goals

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:32 am
Arsenal bosses “100%” behind Unai Emery, deny considering change or talking to candidates, plan to review in summer. Kroenkes + execs offering full support, won’t react to “noise”, feel results will improve atmos & think #AFC on right path. @TheAthleticUK: https://t.co/rXXrMAtd9a
Yes as expected...think it will be end of season he will be on his way

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Señor I Can’t Beleive it’s Not Wenger.

9 outta 10 people can’t tell the difference!

Fucking useless C.UNT :banghead:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

#AFC are adamant their project is sound, well-planned and will bring success, provided the external atmosphere allows it to do so [@David_Ornstein]

External atmosphere, so it's our fault.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

I still think his days are numbered and will be sacked soon!
I take what the press say with a huge pinch of salt and various sources contradicting each other! Some suggesting meetings with possible successors others claiming he has the boards backing!
I’ve never known a manager not given the full support of the board one day, only to be sacked shortly afterwards!
One thing is for sure though, the hostility towards Emery from the fans will continue to grow because there is no way on God’s earth that this phoney us going to turn things around in the coming weeks!

Clash

Post by Clash »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:04 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
The board and owner 100% behind him, of course they are because they don't want to pay him off.

When all the supporters groups got together during the summer I thought that the wheels were starting to turn.

Fooled by a transfer window that was better than nearly all of the previous ones (wouldn't be hard would it) whilst failing to realise its the sort of investment that West Ham and Everton have been outperforming. Pepe paid for over 5 years, a cast off on loan from Madrid, someone from the SPL that none of the top teams in this country were interested in, an 18 year old from Brazil. Oh, chuck in the Chavski cast off too. The way our trendy beards reacted you'd have thought we signed Alysson and Van Dijk (I think thats what you call an effective transfer window).

Of course it would have helped if the previous C.unts In Arms (Gazidis and Wenger) had actually tied some of our better players to long term deals (Alexis, Ramsey) so that we'd have had some additional funds to invest

I still can't understand why people think this squad is somehow equipped to be in the top 4. Everyone above us, including Sheffield United, have a better defence and I don't care whether Mourinho, Allegri or Dyche got the job......until someone takes a wrecking ball to the back line, signs a proper right back (not a converted winger), the sort of commanding CB that has been missing for years, and a proper shielding player in front of them (yeah not the Swiss dollop that shit for brains spent 32m on), this team will continue to concede goals
All absolutely true mate.

I’m not defending Emery but he wasn’t simply just the wrong choice meaning a sudden change in management can put everything right . It goes much deeper than that.

Looking at our team, with perhaps 3 or 4 exceptions, we are actually just a collection of poor players, with a weak mentality. The reason our results are not very good is because we are not very good.

Maybe they’re not getting coached properly or whatever ... but there is no point denying how inadequate the players really are.

What we are most certainly not, is a great team that is being held back just from being badly coached. And so getting Emery out and someone similar in like Enrique will change nothing much.

Listening to Tony Adams yesterday was a reminder how different the mentality of the whole club is now compared to when he was there. I would love people who know what the real Arsenal is about working at the club so that there are certain standards in place - the way they do it at Bayern. And I mean the real Arsenal - not that hideous distorted monstrosity Wenger created. But I just cannot see a way this will ever happen. I can’t envisage any future scenario where we are not paying a price for selling our soul.

The axis of evil, Kroenke, Wenger and Gazidis did so much damage that I cannot see a way back for Arsenal any time soon.

augie

Post by augie »

Clash wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:10 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:

I’m not defending Emery but he wasn’t simply just the wrong choice meaning a sudden change in management can put everything right . It goes much deeper than that.

Looking at our team, with perhaps 3 or 4 exceptions, we are actually just a collection of poor players, with a weak mentality. The reason our results are not very good is because we are not very good.

Maybe they’re not getting coached properly or whatever ... but there is no point denying how inadequate the players really are.

What we are most certainly not, is a great team that is being held back just from being badly coached. And so getting Emery out and someone similar in like Enrique will change nothing much.

Listening to Tony Adams yesterday was a reminder how different the mentality of the whole club is now compared to when he was there. I would love people who know what the real Arsenal is about working at the club so that there are certain standards in place - the way they do it at Bayern. And I mean the real Arsenal - not that hideous distorted monstrosity Wenger created. But I just cannot see a way this will ever happen. I can’t envisage any future scenario where we are not paying a price for selling our soul.

The axis of evil, Kroenke, Wenger and Gazidis did so much damage that I cannot see a way back for Arsenal any time soon.

Have to say that I am not buying that at all - take citeeh and the victims out of it, and Tierney, bellend, lacazette and aubamayueng would walk into every other team in the league, whilst leno, guendouzi, pepe and torreira would get into most teams. I agree 100% that they are embarrassingly weak mentally, but saying that they aint good enough is giving them an out that they do not deserve. Emery is at fault for his tactical and team selection fcuks (and they are increasing weekly :roll: ), but the players have down tools and are not trying enough imo, and that should be acknowledged instead of pinning 100% of the blame on emery :roll: :roll: Lest we forget, these players are employed and paid by AFC not emery fc, and their lack of effort is killing the club not just emery

augie

Post by augie »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Arsenal bosses “100%” behind Unai Emery, deny considering change or talking to candidates, plan to review in summer. Kroenkes + execs offering full support, won’t react to “noise”, feel results will improve atmos & think #AFC on right path. @TheAthleticUK: https://t.co/rXXrMAtd9a

Everything is too quiet for any change of manager to be imminent, and that has been obvious all week.

Clash

Post by Clash »

augie wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:49 pm
Clash wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:10 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:

Have to say that I am not buying that at all - take citeeh and the victims out of it, and Tierney, bellend, lacazette and aubamayueng would walk into every other team in the league, whilst leno, guendouzi, pepe and torreira would get into most teams. I agree 100% that they are embarrassingly weak mentally, but saying that they aint good enough is giving them an out that they do not deserve. Emery is at fault for his tactical and team selection fcuks (and they are increasing weekly :roll: ), but the players have down tools and are not trying enough imo, and that should be acknowledged instead of pinning 100% of the blame on emery :roll: :roll: Lest we forget, these players are employed and paid by AFC not emery fc, and their lack of effort is killing the club not just emery
Aren’t we pretty much saying the same thing Augie? i.e. not pinning 100% of the blame into Emery but also the players?

I wasn’t trying to give the players an ‘’out’’ as such .... I just think if the players are mentally weak, or the type to down tools, then for me, they aren’t good enough or deserving enough to play for Arsenal, in the same way a player lacking ability isn’t good enough. So I totally agree with your last sentence.

The way some people appear to think is that if it wasn’t for Emery we’d have a really good side. But if that was the case, wouldn’t they produce a really good performance every so often, despite who the manager is? We never see that from this set of players for whatever reason so I have no confidence that a different manager will get much more out of them. Emery is taking us nowhere and needs to go of course ... but I think we’ll just see more of the same when he’s replaced unless the personnel (and with that the overall mentality) on and off the pitch is also changed.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I actually think unless we keep losing every single match, he'll be here into the New Year at least.

In terms of the squad i agree with whats been said above, we individually have some decent players but what occurs to me watching them week in week out is exactly that, they are 'individuals', they seem to lack an understanding of team play. Laca, Auba and Ozil were very guilty at times of not getting their heads up yesterday and running into blind alleys or trying too much individually when other easier options were on.

The same goes at the back, players need to step up in circumstances where the Coaches directive is not working, passing out from the back and constantly getting closed down, then get it to fuck up the park, stop making the situation worse by doggedly sticking to instructions that arent working, this happens game after game. The manager has responsibility in telling them to play like this but players have responsibility to say fuck this it isnt working, deal with it on the pitch and take the flak afterwards. The team has 4 Captains, at least 3 of them were playing yesterday but none of them took responsibility.

Again senior players need to accept responsibility as well, the younger players yesterday were making mistakes, Guendozi especially, but not one of the older more experienced players took it upon themselves to take charge and rectify it. Much as i dislike Emery there is only so much he can do from the sidelines, lets be honest back in the day if a player was fucking up Mr Arsenal and others would have sorted it out there and then on the pitch and this is a major factor in our obvious lack of leadership.

Emery is a failure as far as i am concerned but the players are equally to blame in some circumstances and this isn't just the ex-Wenger players but also the ones who have come in since he left. None of them are performing for the Club, Fans or Manager as far as i am concerned.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

You only have to look at the options available to us as captain to know what a deep rooted losing culture set in at the club years ago......hardly a surprise when the previous cock openly stated how captaincy was "overplayed" and favoured rotational leadership. Never a more proud moment than natural leader Manuel Almunia wearing the armband after all :banghead: :banghead:

Bringing in a culture from outside these shores with no experience of the PL was always going to be a risk, and if you look at most of them that come here without experience of the PL it takes them by shock. Conte was an exception but one who inherited a Chelsea team that had been PL and CL winners not long previously and retained a winning core. Pep, Klopp, Podgie all took some time to get used to it, and in the case of the first too a shed load more money and/or prize assets to be sold that earned them £millions (unlike the pricks that run our club they managed to tie a few players to long contracts)

One prediction I'm prepared to make is that if we bring in another manager with no experience, then things will get worse before they get better. Even Allegri will struggle at first because unless he can turn Chambers or Sokratis into Chiellini, he simply won't have the personnel at his disposal

When GG came in he drove out all the lightweights and money grabbers and built a defence from battle hardened players from lower ranked teams, and a midfield centred around the club's bright young talents. Wenger also swept out a load of popular players like Merson in his early days - either adapt to these methods or fuck off. Emery actually did a reasonable job of getting rid of a whole load of c.unts one way or the other over the last couple of windows......but hasn't built a proper defence

If we are going to make a change in manager, then in my opinion it needs to be a guy who will build a defence first (and importantly given the funds to do so.......in which case a Conte or Allegri would be great), or someone who needs to shit miracles on a limited budget. In that case, Dyche or Wilder would be far better equipped than some of the gold digging cocks listed on the poll

wibble

Post by wibble »

augie wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:54 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:

Everything is too quiet for any change of manager to be imminent, and that has been obvious all week.
Yeah I’ve no doubt that he’s here until the end of the season

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

We’ve got Emery
Unai Emery
And when he speaks no one can understand
A gromless fucking shite
He’s Arsene Wenger Lite
We’ve got Unai Emery :barscarf:
Last edited by rodders999 on Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:48 pm
Rian1 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:42 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:22 pm
It’s confirmed: Raul Sanllehi is already in the hunt for a new head coach and has been in touch with Luis Enrique [@Kike_Marin_]
From one subpar manager to another, what the hell is Raul doing. I know the market is dry for managers but goodness me don't go to him, he is no better than what we have now.

I also hope Raul's connections aren't limited to Spain, that's where keeps going.
Now don't know much about him, think someone said he doesn't speak English, but he's won the CL, Spanish title twice, and 2 of their fa cups.
It's the same as UE but without CL, instead EL. Only because a manager has won CL it will not replicate what he can do with us, we have CL quality around the team but nowhere near to survive the last 16 with the likes of Bayern, PSG, City, Liverpool and Real.

UE's communication problem is a big barrier between the players and tactics, it is evident because he is tactically shouting for the whole 90 minutes. I love the passion and the fact that it's not AW where he sits down and does nothing, he is trying but whatever he is saying it has to be drilled in the training ground. In-game shouting is to change the gameplan, not enforce it.

He is good for a team that has the budget and foundation (Allegri and UE are the same). We have the latter, not the former. We need someone tactically good that can work with shit to mid tier to high quality players (Rodgers, Ten Haag and Junyent)

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

rodders999 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:01 pm
We’ve got Emery
Unai Emery
When he speaks no one can understand
A gromless fucking shite
He is our Wenger Lite
We’ve got Unai Emery :barscarf:
OOOOH don't tempt the away fans to sing this next time (if he gets to the next away game)