ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Clash

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by Clash »

When you have the sort of scouting network and wide reaching knowledge Wenger always boasted about having, I can just about understand how some good players could still be overlooked .... but how the f-ck do you end up buying the likes of Mustafi, Xhaka, Kolasinac, Perez etc. ? And how do you also not know how to properly use the few decent signings like Podolski and Arshavin? :roll:

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

TeeCee wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:29 am
We paid £72M for Pepe because we have to pay in installments, if we 'had' the money up front we could probably have got him for £50-60M.
Sorry mate but that’s rubbish.
So you think they would not have accepted a lower offer if we paid £50M up front rather than £20M?, I've got enough experience in purchasing to know if someone can pay up front they have a distinct advantage, cash flow etc.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:28 am
Which we could have comfortably afforded if we had spent £5M less on Kante and put that money towards wages :rubchin:
Our fee for Xhaka was quoted as being between £30-35M, Chelsea's fee for Kante was £32M, a £60K a week difference in pay over 3 years is approx. £9M, so it is likely they paid more for Kante than we did for Xhaka.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:26 am
Jock Gooner wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:28 am
Which we could have comfortably afforded if we had spent £5M less on Kante and put that money towards wages :rubchin:
Our fee for Xhaka was quoted as being between £30-35M, Chelsea's fee for Kante was £32M, a £60K a week difference in pay over 3 years is approx. £9M, so it is likely they paid more for Kante than we did for Xhaka.

I recall the fee for Xhaka being reported as £35M and if TOF was involved the chances are it was closer to £35M than £30M. Checking online the figures quoted for Xhaka range from "in the region of £30M" to "£35M" which unfortunately precludes accuracy in any calculation.

I did say that we could have comfortably afforded Kante based on any transfer difference going towards his wages and bearing in mind TOF shelled out £35M for Mustafi at the same time I don't think affordability is really an issue.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:58 pm

I recall the fee for Xhaka being reported as £35M and if TOF was involved the chances are it was closer to £35M than £30M. Checking online the figures quoted for Xhaka range from "in the region of £30M" to "£35M" which unfortunately precludes accuracy in any calculation.

I did say that we could have comfortably afforded Kante based on any transfer difference going towards his wages and bearing in mind TOF shelled out £35M for Mustafi at the same time I don't think affordability is really an issue.
It wasn't an issue because we had a big cash surplus at the time as it was shortly after we got out of the crippling commercial deals which we signed up for in order to finance the corporate bowl, again though I really see it as futile to blame Wenger, he shouldn't have been there, it was down to our terrible owner who allowed this to happen under his watch (well he wasn't really watching was he?).

Now we have to pay in installments for Pepe which will cost us £15-20M extra and all this because we now have very limited cash reserves thanks to our useless owner not watching what was going on in Wenger's senile years.

If we don't get top 4 this season I think we'll probably be a EL/midtable club for the forseeable future, anyone who thinks a new manager will fix Arsenal is living in la-la land.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:29 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:58 pm

It wasn't an issue because we had a big cash surplus at the time as it was shortly after we got out of the crippling commercial deals which we signed up for in order to finance the corporate bowl, again though I really see it as futile to blame Wenger, he shouldn't have been there, it was down to our terrible owner who allowed this to happen under his watch (well he wasn't really watching was he?).

Now we have to pay in installments for Pepe which will cost us £15-20M extra and all this because we now have very limited cash reserves thanks to our useless owner not watching what was going on in Wenger's senile years.

If we don't get top 4 this season I think we'll probably be a EL/midtable club for the forseeable future, anyone who thinks a new manager will fix Arsenal is living in la-la land.
Yes it's grim when we're discussing the financing of Kante and his wages.

Quite agree that we are going to slide down the table if we fail to get top 4. The right new manager would do better than Dick but maybe not enough to correct the problems quickly enough.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I wondered how long it would be before we'd have to take players from one of Stan's other sporting franchises. If true it surely must boost 'both' clubs and having nothing to do with the financial side of things :rubchin:

https://football-talk.co.uk/154212/mls- ... tial-move/

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:37 pm
I wondered how long it would be before we'd have to take players from one of Stan's other sporting franchises. If true it surely must boost 'both' clubs and having nothing to do with the financial side of things :rubchin:

'Bertie' Bassett is obviously top quality....be a sweet signing and all sorts of players should be given a chance.i'm buzzing with this news :barscarf: :roll: :lol:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

BREAKING: Lucas Torreira has told Arsenal that he wants to leave the club in January but the Gunners doesn't want to sell the player and will held talks with him & his reps very soon. #SSN #AFC

Herd

Post by Herd »

Topside Northbank wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:47 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:

'Bertie' Bassett is obviously top quality....be a sweet signing and all sorts of players should be given a chance.i'm buzzing with this news :barscarf: :roll: :lol:
Our defense could do with a Tight End and a Point Guard ,if he wants to give us a hand !

clummo123

Post by clummo123 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:27 pm
BREAKING: Lucas Torreira has told Arsenal that he wants to leave the club in January but the Gunners doesn't want to sell the player and will held talks with him & his reps very soon. #SSN #AFC
The boy hasn't seemed to settle in at all, let's be honest. Anyone that doesn't want to be here can do one imo. There isn't one of the current crop I'd fight to keep.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Topside Northbank wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:47 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:

:lol:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

clummo123 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:51 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
The boy hasn't seemed to settle in at all, let's be honest. Anyone that doesn't want to be here can do one imo. There isn't one of the current crop I'd fight to keep.
It would be interesting to know whether he hasn't settled because of Dick not playing him or whether he just hasn't settled here. But as you say, not worth keeping and who knows we might actually buy a proper DM......or not :roll:

clummo123

Post by clummo123 »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:30 pm
clummo123 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:51 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
It would be interesting to know whether he hasn't settled because of Dick not playing him or whether he just hasn't settled here. But as you say, not worth keeping and who knows we might actually buy a proper DM......or not :roll:
When the earlier reports about him were doing the rounds he was quoted as saying he didn't like the weather here, it was much better in Italy. I'd say it's a combination of both lifestyle and footballing factors.

And of course our abhorrent treatment of Xhaka that brought him to tears on the touchline (allegedly). :roll:

Midz

Post by Midz »

mcdowell42 wrote:
You can't blame him if it's for football reasons as he's been Dicked around something silly. Tbf I thought he was all right when he first came and given the chance to play regularly rather than benched and subbed, I think he'd do ok.