Modern Football Bol**cks

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Jock Gooner

Re: Modern Football Bol**cks

Post by Jock Gooner »

Clash wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:00 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:34 pm

Mate, you're just pissed because Ashley Banjo called off his appearance on the show..... come on admit it :lol:
:lol: :lol: Hands up Jock, you got me there :oops: :lol:

The cancellation was a double blow really because not only is Banjo one of my favourite performers but his own Wenger / Future story was more true and much funnier too.
Honesty is always the best policy, we don't think any less of you for being a Diversity fan......just as long as you were never a groupie :lol:

Ah that'll be the story about how TOF taught Banjo and the boys how to dance.....that's a great story mate, especially when he tells it right from the beginning when he invented hip hop back in the late 70s when he was a young black man living in the bronx.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:50 pm
Clash wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:

Mate, you're just pissed because Ashley Banjo called off his appearance on the show..... come on admit it :lol:

The cancellation was a double blow really because not only is Banjo one of my favourite performers but his own Wenger / Future story was more true and much funnier too.
Honesty is always the best policy, we don't think any less of you for being a Diversity fan......just as long as you were never a groupie :lol:

Ah that'll be the story about how TOF taught Banjo and the boys how to dance.....that's a great story mate, especially when he tells it right from the beginning when he invented hip hop back in the late 70s when he was a young black man living in the bronx.
Was this just after he had invented Total Football for the Dutch? Fucking Legend.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:52 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Clash wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:

Was this just after he had invented Total Football for the Dutch? Fucking Legend.
:lol:

That would be about right, fits the timeline. Managed to squeeze both in before he discovered the 80s :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:56 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:
Clash wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:

That would be about right, fits the timeline. Managed to squeeze both in before he discovered the 80s :lol:

When you say "discovered" you obviously mean "created" right?

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:59 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:
Clash wrote:

Ooops sorry, completely the wrong word, my mistake.

Yes he 'created' the 80s.....was that on 6th or 7th day....he created the week too you know :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

If anybody had any doubts about how shit international football really is, then look no further than Iceland v turkey - turkey have now qualified for next summer's euro's, and Iceland are expected to qualify too, and this game was so devoid of quality it would make you want to gouge your own eyes out :roll: Both teams gave an outstanding exhibition of lying down and rolling around "in agony" as if taken out by some unknown sniper in the ground, and the turkish captain in particular was a disgrace :censored:

On the plus side, the turkish centre back at juve that we are linked with, looked really solid and strong in the air and made one great header off the line

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:04 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:59 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:

Ooops sorry, completely the wrong word, my mistake.

Yes he 'created' the 80s.....was that on 6th or 7th day....he created the week too you know :lol:

I did not know that! Silly me. I should have just assumed it really.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

so lets get this right - all proper football has to stop for TWO WEEKS whilst we have to endure matches such as Albania v Andorra and England playing countries who up until a few years ago didn't even exist.

Then between 28th November and 1st January we have to squeeze in EIGHT matches. Fucking joke :banghead: :banghead:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

So anyone else noticed these adverts by the EPL and Barclays saying how you're only a 'Real' fan if you support the whole club? Who the hell are they to decide who is a real fan! As with most of you I've followed the Arsenal since before the womens team were formed. I dont follow the junior teams much either :rubchin:

Interestingly the prices for the much vaunted womens England match at Wembley which had a near capacity crowd were on average 10% of the mens equivalent. When the womens game can generate the revenue of the mens and not rely on handouts from mens football then maybe just maybe I'll consider it equal. It took decades for the mens game to get to where it is, like it or loathe it's current form, why shouldnt womens football have to follow the same journey.

Women have slated mens football for years and in the mainstream completely ignored mens football, it has been a joke in the media/TV/film/books for decades that men are obsessed with football and women either tolerate it or hate it yet suddenly womens football should be lauded and accepted.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:09 pm
So anyone else noticed these adverts by the EPL and Barclays saying how you're only a 'Real' fan if you support the whole club? Who the hell are they to decide who is a real fan! As with most of you I've followed the Arsenal since before the womens team were formed. I dont follow the junior teams much either :rubchin:

Interestingly the prices for the much vaunted womens England match at Wembley which had a near capacity crowd were on average 10% of the mens equivalent. When the womens game can generate the revenue of the mens and not rely on handouts from mens football then maybe just maybe I'll consider it equal. It took decades for the mens game to get to where it is, like it or loathe it's current form, why shouldnt womens football have to follow the same journey.

Women have slated mens football for years and in the mainstream completely ignored mens football, it has been a joke in the media/TV/film/books for decades that men are obsessed with football and women either tolerate it or hate it yet suddenly womens football should be lauded and accepted.
the best thing to do with women's football is to ignore it - I am vaguely aware that Arsenal have a women's team and that's about it.
I would be more interested if they promoted reserve team football more to be honest.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

"Game management" or "in game management"

If ever the Bluffers Guide to Football was released, this bullshit phrase should be the first chapter. For the first 40 years of my life I never heard the fucking phrase mentioned once. Now every single thicko pundit from Lily Savage to Danny Fuckwit Murphy trips it out every time a team loses a lead or a defender makes a mistake.

Here's a tip - it doesn't make you sound intelligent. It makes you sound like Joey Essex tasting a fine wine......

Clash

Post by Clash »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:33 pm

If ever the Bluffers Guide to Football was released, this bullshit phrase should be the first chapter. For the first 40 years of my life I never heard the fucking phrase mentioned once. Now every single thicko pundit from Lily Savage to Danny Fuckwit Murphy trips it out every time a team loses a lead or a defender makes a mistake.

Here's a tip - it doesn't make you sound intelligent. It makes you sound like Joey Essex tasting a fine wine......
:lol: :lol: :lol: very true mate.

There’s also a few other trendy new words or phrases doing the rounds:

Coping with being closed down is now called ‘’beating the press’’. Simply having well trained defenders who know how to defend isn’t sufficient ... now you have to be ‘’resolute’’ as well. Instead of players trying extra hard to impress a newly appointed manager, thus creating a sudden improvement in results, it’s really the ‘’new manager bounce’’ :roll:

Also nobody toughens up anymore, they ‘’man up’’ . And just turning up somewhere isn’t enough either, it seems you have to ‘’rock up’’ these days :wink:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:

I thought "game management" was simply conveyed by the captain, manager or resident hardman giving two or three finger taps to his temple while looking around at the rest of his team. Frequently administered after your team have scored a goal for fear of conceding a quick equaliser. Clearly this practice has disappeared from the bowl as we have none of the personnel required to carry out this practice.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:57 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

I thought "game management" was simply conveyed by the captain, manager or resident hardman giving two or three finger taps to his temple while looking around at the rest of his team. Frequently administered after your team have scored a goal for fear of conceding a quick equaliser. Clearly this practice has disappeared from the bowl as we have none of the personnel required to carry out this practice.

We also have no one with anything on the other side of their own temporal bone, with which to decipher the meaning of the Captain's / Manager's finger tap.

As for the one undertaking the finger tap to his temple, there'd simply be a loud, echoey "boing" resonating around the stadium, much like the sound of a large empty urn being struck.

I believe that in Granit Xhaka's case, the sound was reminiscent of Big Ben tolling......it's why he rarely headed the ball.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:59 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:57 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

We also have no one with anything on the other side of their own temporal bone, with which to decipher the meaning of the Captain's / Manager's finger tap.

As for the one undertaking the finger tap to his temple, there'd simply be a loud, echoey "boing" resonating around the stadium, much like the sound of a large empty urn being struck.

I believe that in Granit Xhaka's case, the sound was reminiscent of Big Ben tolling......it's why he rarely headed the ball.
:lol: :lol:

Probably why his childhood nickname was "Clang". :D