Who would you like to see as next manager POLL

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Who would you like to see as next manager

Poll ended at Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:04 pm

Arteta
No votes
Allegri
50%
Bergkamp
3%
Enrique
No votes
Freddie
3%
Mourinho
9%
Vieira
12%
Rodgers
15%
Santo
3%
Ten Hag
6%

Total votes: 34

mcdowell42

Re: Who would you like to see as next manager POLL

Post by mcdowell42 »

According to the Mirror, Mikel Arteta is the man #Arsenal want to replace Emery. The former Arsenal midfielder is keen on the move & Pep Guardiola, who may have blocked the switch, is open to Arteta furthering his career in frontline management. https://t.co/YzZluvSPtq

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Under different circumstances City wouldnt be able to let Arteta go but Guardiola appears to have an ideal replacement for Arteta waiting in the wings. Thats van Bronckhorst who's been working for the City Group since the summer & is spending increasingly more time at the Etihad. https://t.co/JBLRBEI0DF

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

falkirk goon wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:46 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:19 pm
Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:57 pm
just proper fuck off, you're not scoring, I'm grinding you down or putting you out of the game and I'm not leaving my half of the pitch until the game's over defending.
:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:
I concur with your barscarf concurring :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:
Fucking give me no nonsense defenders putting reducers on the opposition danger men and footing it into row Z when required 8) :barscarf: El reengholes passing it out from the back carry on was a fucking disgrace :oops:

I love it when you talk defending :lol:

The express are reporting that PV has been contacted by the club.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... 3/arsenal/

I'm begining to come round to the idea of PV if we can't get Allegri. I'd like to see some of our little flowers try to explain their defending to him as PV takes them by the neck and gently knocks their bonce against the dressing room wall to encourage them to do better. Can't quite see Arteta scaring the bejesus out of anyone.

augie

Post by augie »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:27 am
falkirk goon wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:46 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:19 pm
Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:57 pm
just proper fuck off, you're not scoring, I'm grinding you down or putting you out of the game and I'm not leaving my half of the pitch until the game's over defending.
:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:
I concur with your barscarf concurring :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:
Fucking give me no nonsense defenders putting reducers on the opposition danger men and footing it into row Z when required 8) :barscarf: El reengholes passing it out from the back carry on was a fucking disgrace :oops:

I love it when you talk defending :lol:

The express are reporting that PV has been contacted by the club.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... 3/arsenal/

I'm begining to come round to the idea of PV if we can't get Allegri. I'd like to see some of our little flowers try to explain their defending to him as PV takes them by the neck and gently knocks their bonce against the dressing room wall to encourage them to do better. Can't quite see Arteta scaring the bejesus out of anyone.

And maybe I am wrong for having a similar opinion, but I just see arteta as one of these style over everything else managers, and the kind of guy that would want the dressing rooms painted in some soft pastel colours to assist "life is good" message that he will be preaching to everyone :roll:
We really need a manager that has some real control and presence in the club - I know that the days of bollocking players to the verge of tears is gone, but we can still have a manager that demands accountability from the players and is in total control. Words cannot express how absolutely opposed I am to arteta (and Freddie) getting the job on a permanent basis

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Lads, pv4 recently stuck up for xhaka, he will be just as soft on our players as others before him, it's a pc world and you can't bully players anymore.

You'd hope that the players would have so much respect for him that they'd run through a brick wall for him, he also has to convince them that tactically he is astute, then he will start to get somewhere.

I personally think if they give it to him it's a clever ploy by the board, they know he will be given a very long time if things are not improving, I.e two seasons of mid table mediocrity could be accepted.

What then? Appoint Tony Adams so that gives them another two years.of fan acceptance.

Get a proven manager in to sort out this mess because it's too much for a rookie imo.

Clash

Post by Clash »

I share the reservations g88ner has about Allegri. Learning a new language and a new league on top of all the other problems he’ll have to sort out might be something he could handle better than Emery did ... but because of witnessing that for the last 18 months, I am not as pro Allegri as I was in the summer of 2018. I favour someone who knows Arsenal or at least knows English football.

And the more I think about it there is something about Vieira taking the job that I like. We never recovered on the pitch from him leaving and while he obviously will not be playing he will be in the dressing room. He’s also an imposing figure so just seeing him in his suit on the touch line during games should be inspiring for both the players and the fans. Zidane had that same presence I think.

We still need a big change in personnel on the pitch though, regardless of who the manager is. Right now I do not feel much of a lift. Thats nothing against Freddie ... it’s just that I know we are limited to using the same underwhelming set of players for the time being and I think too many of them are beyond reach in terms of mentality and responding to coaching.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

On the subject of Allegri's English don't lose sight of the fact that he is very clearly spoken. Listen to him interview in English last summer - I posted the link earlier - and while he was sometimes searching for the right word you could understand every word that he said. There is none of the spanish accent thing going on with him (or Italian accent thing in his case). Since then it's been reported that he has stepped up his English lessons so I think he will be just fine on the language front. I just have a hunch that he fancies manure over us.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

The Times say #Arsenal’s interest in Nuno Espirito Santo as a replacement for Unai Emery has cooled significantly. https://t.co/VqyyHsX3Hm

Sources claim that the #Arsenal board do not feel the Portuguese is the right fit or profile for the club. They are looking for a communicator who can convince in managing players & tactics, talking to the media & supporters, & selling the club to a global audience.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

The guy at Watford just got the sack again :lol:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Apparently there are reservations at the club about Allegri because he interviewed poorly last time. What a fucking joke.

We are on about hiring a football manager, not a fucking Deputy Head of Marketing. Basically Emery has gone in and sold them a load of bullshit about his 'vision', playing attractive football and the Arsenal DNA, and all that bullshit.

This modern day idea that we are a club who MUST play the most beautiful football in the world is a nonsense.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

What about that bloke with a beard who walks on water and changes water into wine? Is he available? :? Becaue

we

Need

a

MIRACLE. :( :oops:

augie

Post by augie »

I could go all naïve and claim that the guy was probably just answering a question, but lets be honest here and say that it sure seems to be that Rodgers is sending a "come and get me message to The Arsenal"

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... -contract/

:fishing: :fishing:

It's funny how, after Freddie's dogshite team selection today, every other candidate looks a lot more appealing :rubchin:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

People underestimate the pull of managing a huge club like Arsenal. Before you even think about the money.

But Rodgers is probably the one manager at a much smaller club who I think we’d have a difficult time attracting. Leicester are well set - other than Vardy, their side is packed with youth.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Sounds like there might be an approach for Rodgers. He's not going to spend too long at Leicester as they may have a good squad but not big enough for an ambitious manager who's last wtwo clubs are Liverpool and Celtic.
Forgot he's got Kolo Toure as his assistant. There's the Arsenal link.

Still think Rafa Benetiz (who will be available in couple of weeks) is the right manager for us at this point in time.
Last edited by Nos89 on Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:01 pm
What about that bloke with a beard who walks on water and changes water into wine? Is he available? :? Becaue

we

Need

a

MIRACLE. :( :oops:
We could get him for Christmas but he'll probably be gone by Easter