Who would you like to see as next manager POLL

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Who would you like to see as next manager

Poll ended at Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:04 pm

Arteta
No votes
Allegri
50%
Bergkamp
3%
Enrique
No votes
Freddie
3%
Mourinho
9%
Vieira
12%
Rodgers
15%
Santo
3%
Ten Hag
6%

Total votes: 34

DB10GOONER

Re: Who would you like to see as next manager POLL

Post by DB10GOONER »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:09 am
Lads, pv4 recently stuck up for xhaka, he will be just as soft on our players as others before him, it's a pc world and you can't bully players anymore.

You'd hope that the players would have so much respect for him that they'd run through a brick wall for him, he also has to convince them that tactically he is astute, then he will start to get somewhere.

I personally think if they give it to him it's a clever ploy by the board, they know he will be given a very long time if things are not improving, I.e two seasons of mid table mediocrity could be accepted.

What then? Appoint Tony Adams so that gives them another two years.of fan acceptance.

Get a proven manager in to sort out this mess because it's too much for a rookie imo.
Agreed with that. But I'd go further and say that as great a player as Paddy was he was never a true strong leader as he was too quiet on the pitch. Most of his former team mates said that about him - he was quiet but led by example. Which is fine to a certain degree as a player and captain but no use as a manager as he wont be on the pitch to "lead by example". Getting your message across as a manager is completely different to being a good footballer that inspires the players around you on a pitch.

Also this nonsense about him "terrifying" players? Stop ffs. The one time anyone called his bluff and genuinely took on his hard man image he wilted and carried on like a little bitch. :oops:

augie

Post by augie »

If you could believe anything the sun print :roll:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... it-clause/

They say that we are making contact with Leicester over his contract clause, but also say that we are focusing on out of contract managers that would cost the c.unts nothing - which is it ffs ? :roll: :banghead: :banghead:

Clash

Post by Clash »

If Rodgers leaves Leicester for a bigger job in the next year or two then it proves he is nothing but a treacherous cunnt.

What happens if when he's our manager the likes of Bayern or R Madrid start showing interest? He'd walk out on us on too!

No fucking way should we be showing any interest in this man!

augie

Post by augie »

Clash wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:29 am
If Rodgers leaves Leicester for a bigger job in the next year or two then it proves he is nothing but a treacherous cunnt.

What happens if when he's our manager the likes of Bayern or R Madrid start showing interest? He'd walk out on us on too!

I'm not saying Rodgers is the right man for us, but if he was then that stuff wouldn't really bother me - we are not on the level of real or Bayern (and probably never will be), so we gotta accept that in the vast majority of situations, players and managers would always want to join those clubs if given a chance. The only way we can combat that reality is if we actually build a club competing for and ambitious to win the big prizes, and make it players and managers WANT to stay with us. A lack of ambition and drive within the squad is a lot of the reason why we have sucked as badly as we have for a long time, so lets not knock people for having ambition

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Clash wrote:

He is that anyway mate! :lol: :wink:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Clash wrote:

In fairness Clash the only way that BM or RM would be showing interest is if Brenda was being successful which at our place with our current crop is going to take one of those miracle things. He'd be tied into his contract which you whack a fucking great big release clause into and that is about all you can do with manager retention these days.

I'd be quite happy to have the problem whereby another club actually wanted our manager from us as I think it's fair to say we are a long way off from that particular problem a the moment :lol:

I've never really taken to the guy but he's had a positive effect at other clubs so there is a part of me that is a little bit interested to see if he could do anything with our lot. #Brendancurious :oops: :shock: :lol:

Clash

Post by Clash »

augie wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:59 pm
Clash wrote:

I'm not saying Rodgers is the right man for us, but if he was then that stuff wouldn't really bother me - we are not on the level of real or Bayern (and probably never will be), so we gotta accept that in the vast majority of situations, players and managers would always want to join those clubs if given a chance. The only way we can combat that reality is if we actually build a club competing for and ambitious to win the big prizes, and make it players and managers WANT to stay with us. A lack of ambition and drive within the squad is a lot of the reason why we have sucked as badly as we have for a long time, so lets not knock people for having ambition
Fair points Augie. It just wouldn't sit easy with me knowing that we're being used as a stepping stone to bigger and better things by someone like Rodgers.

I probably should be used to the stepping stone thing by now though after some of the players we've let go in the last decade or so :roll:
OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:02 pm
Clash wrote:

He is that anyway mate! :lol: :wink:
:lol: true true 8)

Clash

Post by Clash »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:12 pm
Clash wrote:

In fairness Clash the only way that BM or RM would be showing interest is if Brenda was being successful which at our place with our current crop is going to take one of those miracle things. He'd be tied into his contract which you whack a fucking great big release clause into and that is about all you can do with manager retention these days.

I'd be quite happy to have the problem whereby another club actually wanted our manager from us as I think it's fair to say we are a long way off from that particular problem a the moment :lol:

I've never really taken to the guy but he's had a positive effect at other clubs so there is a part of me that is a little bit interested to see if he could do anything with our lot. #Brendancurious :oops: :shock: :lol:
Yeah I see what you're saying Jock!

An Arsenal manger being poached is not something that's ever ever happened before as far as I know. They're either sacked or they croak :shock: Perhaps it would make a nice change for our manager to genuinely be in demand elsewhere rather than just pretending he was :lol:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Clash wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:17 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Clash wrote:

An Arsenal manger being poached is not something that's ever ever happened before as far as I know. They're either sacked or they croak :shock: Perhaps it would make a nice change for our manager to genuinely be in demand elsewhere rather than just pretending he was :lol:

For all that I'd still be underwhelmed if he rocked up at our place :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

Here's a shock ……….. mr vanilla advocating the nice everybody likes him candidate :roll:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... e-spaniard

The thing that amuses me is that all the articles are saying that we have little chance of getting top 4 this season, but we are only 7 points off top 4 having been shit all season, so why are people saying that we have no chance ? Smudger is suggesting that we forget about top 4 this season and give Freddie the rest of the season, but surely a good manager could come in and organise that team and make up 7 measley pts ?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Now that Emery IS actually Gone, can the Poll be refreshed/re-jigged so people have a chance to vote on what manager they now think is realistically possible?

Thanks

OBG

Clash

Post by Clash »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:30 pm
Now that Emery IS actually Gone, can the Poll be refreshed/re-jigged so people have a chance to vote on what manager they now think is realistically possible?

Thanks

OBG
If Freddie picks anymore teams like he did yesterday maybe Emery can be added to the re-jigged Poll so we can vote to bring him back :barscarf:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Clash wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:38 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:30 pm

Thanks

OBG
If Freddie picks anymore teams like he did yesterday maybe Emery can be added to the re-jigged Poll so we can vote to bring him back :barscarf:
Would have to start a new poll, the 1 I originally set up had an expiry date which has passed.

augie

Post by augie »

I do understand the suggestion that we cant rush this appointment and need to get it right, but at the same time I do 100% believe that we need to get the appointment done soon. Today's media are reporting that Freddie will be bringing in people (like gilberto) to make up his backroom/coaching team, but unless he is given the job full time (hope not) then that should not be allowed to happen.

For the last 6 months or so I have been taking the piss out of manure and the chavs for basically turning their management and coaching staff into what looks like an old players reunion, and now I am really worried that Freddie would do the same if he is appointed full time manager. Sentimentality and emotion should not be factors when we pick our manager and coaching staff

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

Clash wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:17 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Clash wrote:

Wasn't the Real Madrid interest for Wenger genuine back when he was actually an elite league winning manager?