Who would you like to see as next manager POLL

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Who would you like to see as next manager

Poll ended at Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:04 pm

Arteta
No votes
Allegri
50%
Bergkamp
3%
Enrique
No votes
Freddie
3%
Mourinho
9%
Vieira
12%
Rodgers
15%
Santo
3%
Ten Hag
6%

Total votes: 34

mcdowell42

Re: Who would you like to see as next manager POLL

Post by mcdowell42 »

.@David_Ornstein on the latest 'Ornstein & Chapman Podcast':

- the decision to sack Emery had already been made pre-Eintracht.
- Winning the game may have delayed the announcement, but Emery was essentially a "dead man walking" going into the game.

Ornstein: "There's a feeling from a few people I've spoke to that #AFC don't want to spend heavily on this appointment."

More not being able to spend heavily than not wanting to (you don’t always get every word right when recording ‘live’). As I said, Arsenal need to be careful with FFP & missing CL again (given transfer spending, high wage bill, revenue implications etc) could make it a real issue

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

The Mail say Arsenal’s hunt for a new manager is being hindered by a limited budget that is proving off-putting to many of the leading contenders. Emery was paid £4m-a-year... a salary #Arsenal are willing to improve, but not to the level demanded by the European elite.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

#Arsenal are also paying the price for missing out on Champions League qualification for 3 successive years, creating a revenue shortfall that even reaching the final of the Europa League last season did not offset.

As a result of such financial limitations #Arsenal may be forced to turn to an inexperienced manager to replace Emery, such as Ljungberg if his spell as caretaker is successful or more likely Mikel Arteta. https://t.co/v1VhmH3VEw

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Goal claim #Arsenal have contacted former Valencia coach Marcelino over the vacant manager's job. https://t.co/S7r9EZGqo8

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

The Mirror claim #Arsenal fear they will not be able to lure Brendan Rodgers away from Leicester despite him having a release clause. Rodgers has a long standing admiration of Arsenal but after taking soundings, they believe the timing is wrong & they will not be able to get him. https://t.co/plt9vQD3Ix

augie

Post by augie »

The board are gonna make an absolute bollox of this mess, and of that I have no doubt.

Two weeks ago when poxychino's was sacked, old tax dodging harry was on tv within the hour suggesting that levy would have already had a manager lined up before he sacked him, cos that was the way levy had acted when he sacked the twitcher - of course within hours the old arrogant portugese cock was announced and redkrapp was proven right. I remember thinking at the time that it didn't feel right to approach other managers before you sack your existing manager, but now I am beginning to wonder if I was wrong thinking that way.

We sacked emery 5 days ago - we have no manager in place yet, we don't seem to have made a concrete offer to anyone, and if we are honest the club probably haven't even got a clue who they want to be the next manager :roll: We are drifting along under the control of a guy that had zero managerial experience before last Friday, and whose first team selection offers fcuk all in the line of encouragement. There is a very real possibility that he will be left in charge for the remainder of the season - you can argue that such a move would allow them the time necessary to make the big decision, but you could also question if they want him to get the job full time and are waiting to see if he will play himself out of contention.

I continue to go on record as saying that under no circumstances should this job be left until the summer - for example, if allegri (my preferred choice) declares that he will not take any job until next summer, then he should be struck off their list of options and they should proceed with the next name on the list. Despite what some would have you believe we ARE still in the hunt for top 4 - we are currently 6 points off top 4 despite not having won a game in almost 2 months, and really after a shocking run like that we should be nowhere near top 4. I absolutely believe that appointing a quality manager NOW (or in next week or 2) will see a much changed and improved AFC in the second half of the season, and really 6pts isn't a huge gap.

Failure to appoint a full-time manager now, or appointing a novice manager (arteta or Freddie) now, is tantamount to our club hoisting a huge white flag in the air and surrendering - they can talk big about ambition/Arsenal DNA/excitement or whatever they like, but no amount of talk can mask a club bottling a decision (by not appointing a full time manager) or by going cheap (by going with Freddie or arteta), and all these "star players" will see these decisions for what they are, and no player in the age group of auba and laca will be prepared to wait around while a novice manager spends the next 18 months-2 years learning his job

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

augie wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:06 pm
The board are gonna make an absolute bollox of this mess, and of that I have no doubt.

Two weeks ago when poxychino's was sacked, old tax dodging harry was on tv within the hour suggesting that levy would have already had a manager lined up before he sacked him, cos that was the way levy had acted when he sacked the twitcher - of course within hours the old arrogant portugese cock was announced and redkrapp was proven right. I remember thinking at the time that it didn't feel right to approach other managers before you sack your existing manager, but now I am beginning to wonder if I was wrong thinking that way.

We sacked emery 5 days ago - we have no manager in place yet, we don't seem to have made a concrete offer to anyone, and if we are honest the club probably haven't even got a clue who they want to be the next manager :roll: We are drifting along under the control of a guy that had zero managerial experience before last Friday, and whose first team selection offers fcuk all in the line of encouragement. There is a very real possibility that he will be left in charge for the remainder of the season - you can argue that such a move would allow them the time necessary to make the big decision, but you could also question if they want him to get the job full time and are waiting to see if he will play himself out of contention.

I continue to go on record as saying that under no circumstances should this job be left until the summer - for example, if allegri (my preferred choice) declares that he will not take any job until next summer, then he should be struck off their list of options and they should proceed with the next name on the list. Despite what some would have you believe we ARE still in the hunt for top 4 - we are currently 6 points off top 4 despite not having won a game in almost 2 months, and really after a shocking run like that we should be nowhere near top 4. I absolutely believe that appointing a quality manager NOW (or in next week or 2) will see a much changed and improved AFC in the second half of the season, and really 6pts isn't a huge gap.

Failure to appoint a full-time manager now, or appointing a novice manager (arteta or Freddie) now, is tantamount to our club hoisting a huge white flag in the air and surrendering - they can talk big about ambition/Arsenal DNA/excitement or whatever they like, but no amount of talk can mask a club bottling a decision (by not appointing a full time manager) or by going cheap (by going with Freddie or arteta), and all these "star players" will see these decisions for what they are, and no player in the age group of auba and laca will be prepared to wait around while a novice manager spends the next 18 months-2 years learning his job

In most businesses you always have the next man lined up, that's a given as part of forward planning.

Our board haven't a clue what to do because as much as they want a new manager on the cheap and without having to pay any compensation they are scared shitless that the inexperienced option may well screw up and cost them money - ie Freddie or Arteta.

The safer option of an experienced man is going to cost them and big time - Allegri will demand a salary and funds in the transfer market while it would appear that Brenda's release clause will cost a few quid before his salary which will also be a few quid.

So they find themselves in limbo and probably hoping that Freddie can buy them some time and maybe the results to justify an appointment.

I bet that wiggy's advisers in his other business interests know what they are doing and act quickly when required. Wiggy hasn't a clue what to do with us though and probably doesn't have that much trust in the likes of Sanllehi and Edu at the moment.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Latest odds on our next permanent manager with Paddy Power

Arteta 11/4

Freddie 3/1

Marcelino 7/2

Allegri 5/1

Rodgers 10/1

Howe 14/1

Pochettino 14/1

Others 20/1 or more

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

footballitalia
@footballitalia
UPDATE: Radio Marte ( @_SiGonfiaLaRete ) claim #Napoli have already decided to sack Carlo Ancelotti after the final #UCL group game and hire Gennaro Gattuso https://www.football-italia.net/147204/ ... ll-gattuso … #SerieA
I'd take Ancelloti for a few years to steady the ship and get us back into the CL.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:44 pm

Arteta 11/4

Freddie 3/1

Marcelino 7/2

Allegri 5/1

Rodgers 10/1

Howe 14/1

Pochettino 14/1

Others 20/1 or more
Jesus sideways shitting Christ. Surely Curbishly is in with a shout then? :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I'm pretty sure Allegri has stated he deffo won't be available until May as he is learning English and wants to start his next job fresh in preseason and not having inherited someone else's shit storm mid season. Personally I'd wait for him.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:48 am
mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:44 pm

Arteta 11/4

Freddie 3/1

Marcelino 7/2

Allegri 5/1

Rodgers 10/1

Howe 14/1

Pochettino 14/1

Others 20/1 or more
S
Jesus sideways shitting Christ. Surely Curbishly is in with a shout then? :lol:
Howe managed a team for seventy minutes against ten men last night and still lost. He has done a great job at Bournemouth but he wouldn't at Arsenal. Nice guy but so was Emery.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Ornstein: 'Freddie Ljungberg stands a chance, don't know how big a chance. I do think it will be an external candidate and I do think that despite not being in a huge rush or panic, they will look to do it sooner rather than later'

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:08 am
I'm pretty sure Allegri has stated he deffo won't be available until May as he is learning English and wants to start his next job fresh in preseason and not having inherited someone else's shit storm mid season. Personally I'd wait for him.

And leave Freddie in charge until then ? Even after his team selection last Sunday ?? :shock: :shock:

A new manager is "allowed" a mistake or 2 in his first match in charge, but to make so many obvious stupid decisions in one game, makes me question if he is fit to manage a kids team. Horrendous team selection and tactics

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

what you have to think about is the mindset of the people in charge at the club.

1. they did not want to sack Emery because of the pay off - if he had scraped a win against Southampton he would probably still be here

2. one of the reasons they sacked Emery was because in Ljungberg they had a cheap replacement in place who ideally could keep the club going until the summer

3. if Freddie flops then they will need to find a cheap alternative because Kroenke won't pay for a top manager, as the club are not trying to compete for the league title anymore - they just make out they are to keep the gullible season ticket holders happy