Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Unai Emery

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:38 pm
The xhaka selection stunned me tbh - a lot of fans are supporting Freddie cos he is "a proper Arsenal man", but I'm not sure how a proper Arsenal man would accept xhaka's actions and reinstate him into the team :shock: :shock: I know people will come back with the "we all make mistakes" shite, but for me there are lines you don't cross and xhaka not only crossed those lines, but he feels absolutely entitled and correct for doing so :censored:
Crossed the line? The gormless fucker danced back and forward across that line like it was the fucking hokey cokey and then dragged his reenghole all over it too for good measure. :censored:

Herd

Post by Herd »

You are misunderstanding what I am saying Herd - I'm not saying that Freddie had equal say or indeed any say in the way the good ship emery was being run, but what I am saying is that he was there and has seen first hand the liabilities that xhaka and mustafi have been for a long, long time and he should know better that to reinstate them to the starting team. For me there are only 2 possible reasons why Freddie restored them to the starting line up -

1. Pandering to the senior players in the squad lest they undermine him - this is what I suspect to be the case. Basic dressing room management involves getting the biggest players to be in your corner - that is all well and dandy if those players had been performing to the required level, but if you are viewed to be ass kissing players who are seen as a virus in the team, then you are on very dodgy ground with the fans from day one.
2. The ultimate nightmare scenario is that Freddie restored them to the line up because he believes that they are good enough - if his judgement/assessment of players that have been blatantly shit for a long time now is that poor, then really we are fcuked if he is left in charge. There is literally no circumstances which option 2 is acceptable
I fully agree he's between a rock and a hard place I believe we have a toxic team ,which Emry inherited tried to deal with and failed ,I thought I mentioned that ,my point is that he has to deal with it as he sees fit and as Ive said I hope he can at least stabilise us
I don't think that he genuinely believes they were the best available , but perhaps that my wishful thinking and he shouldn't but if as you say option 2 is correct then we are doomed again !
He is on a very short fuse and that could have longer term issues as the board might panic and take in the first cant that comes on the market !
We are short on quality in midfield and in defense none of our back line are playing well and some just aren't up to standard !
If it were me I would play 4321 sit torriera in front of the back 4 and not play out from the back but hey Im just a punter !
I wish Freddie the very best . I've bottled out of going now will watch it at home !

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

If he wants to stay in England, Everton job is more to the level he'll be good for at this moment of time.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:03 am
If he wants to stay in England, Everton job is more to the level he'll be good for at this moment of time.
Similar level to us?. :roll:

augie

Post by augie »

So it turns out that emery wasn't the only reason that this team has been underperforming, and all isn't well in the world again after his sacking :rubchin:

Clash

Post by Clash »

augie wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:50 am
So it turns out that emery wasn't the only reason that this team has been underperforming, and all isn't well in the world again after his sacking :rubchin:
Yep!

Maybe part of the problem was that our players were not capable enough, intelligent enough and disciplined enough to play the type of football he wanted? Whatever that type of football was. I’m not sure anyone knew in the end. But perhaps he kept trying so many different things because the limitations of the players meant nothing he tried worked?

Not trying to offer a defence for the mistakes he kept making but I don’t think he can be as bad what we saw either.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Clash wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:12 am
augie wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:50 am
Yep!

Maybe part of the problem was that our players were not capable enough, intelligent enough and disciplined enough to play the type of football he wanted? Whatever that type of football was. I’m not sure anyone knew in the end. But perhaps he kept trying so many different things because the limitations of the players meant nothing he tried worked?

Not trying to offer a defence for the mistakes he kept making but I don’t think he can be as bad what we saw either.

The one or two who think that Emery was the problem are kidding themselves. £100M pissed away on the likes of Mustafi, Xhaka and giving Ozil a salary that equates to the value of a new sigining. There is the root cause of our problems. Chambers not good enough, bellend can't defend to save his life, square pegs round holes blah blah fu.cking blah. Emery or whoever was responsible for the subsequent buys hasn't exactly covered themselves in glory but the rot had set in well before that.

Well if we can persuade a half decent manager to sign up then we'll find out whether it's all Dick's fault but watching that clueless shite last night has me suspecting that it's not going to be that easy to implement a system with our weakminded squad. I can't remember a midfield displaying less creativity than last night since the good old days of Morrow, Hillier and Selley.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Ultimately you can blame whoever you like for the football team, Freddie, UE or OGL but for me the blame sits squarely above all of them for the state the club currently finds itself in.

The problem now remains the same as it was when people on here were working their balls off to get rid of OGL, the *word censored* above who allow these situations to be prolonged time after time :rubchin:

For them it seems it's not about the football, EPL position, being in Europe or even us fans...... these *word censored* only care about the 'Greenbacks' :banghead:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:03 am
WHAT!!!??? Ohhh! So he's going for a promotion? :?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:05 pm
Ultimately you can blame whoever you like for the football team, Freddie, UE or OGL but for me the blame sits squarely above all of them for the state the club currently finds itself in.

The problem now remains the same as it was when people on here were working their balls off to get rid of OGL, the *word censored* above who allow these situations to be prolonged time after time :rubchin:

For them it seems it's not about the football, EPL position, being in Europe or even us fans...... these *word censored* only care about the 'Greenbacks' :banghead:
100% CORRECT. And always has been since our chicken shyte board decided to sell their shares at a very nice profit to someone whom was originally described as being ' His Sort' and how they "wanted nothing to do with him"

Yeah! Not until they realised what a fuckinng massive profit they could make and still be kept on the board and get their annual bonus for doing fuckk all.

Lord Harris. Board Member.
Ken Friar. Board Member.
Chips Keswick. Board Member

Buncha CUN.TS Sold us Down The River. :cussing:

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:26 am
I can't remember a midfield displaying less creativity than last night since the good old days of Morrow, Hillier and Selley.
Morrow & Selly, along with McGoldrick, :shock: played in & won a European trophy, the CWC Final in '94. :barscarf:
Something the current crazily overpriced midfield is totally incapable of doing judging by the total shite I witnessed in Baku. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Hillier must have been hanging round Copenhagen airport carpark on a previous engagement? :rubchin:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Almunia is a clown wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:52 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:26 am
I can't remember a midfield displaying less creativity than last night since the good old days of Morrow, Hillier and Selley.
Morrow & Selly, along with McGoldrick, :shock: played in & won a European trophy, the CWC Final in '94. :barscarf:
Something the current crazily overpriced midfield is totally incapable of doing judging by the total shite I witnessed in Baku. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Hillier must have been hanging round Copenhagen airport carpark on a previous engagement? :rubchin:
One of my favourite one nils to the Arsenal, 70 mins of panic as we got battered but held on followed by a great nights drinking in Copenhagen. That other master of creativity John Jensen had picked up a ban so that was why one of the dynamic duo got a game and that useless twat McGoldrick only got the last 3 minutes as I recall which was about 3 minutes more than he was worth :lol:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:05 pm

Doing what exactly...? :lol: :wink:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Those hoping that Freddie would have shit miracles by now will one day understand that Dick needed two whole seasons and four windows to sweep the shit out of the door.

We will never know whether Saliba would have been the answer to his prayers or whether Pepe would have produced the "second season" wizardry that some of our greatest players in history had to wait for after joining from Ligue 1 and initially finding it tough.

Perhaps if the board hadn't let Ramsey and Alexis run their contracts down we might have bagged £100m to rebuild a defence that looks the worst in the league. Maybe if the previous cock hadn't tied our biggest underachiever to a massive £350k per week contract we could have signed three players within that budget

We will see how the next poor incumbent fares when he walks through the door expected to outgun all before him.

The only way we will ever go back to being a CL team again is if it is someone with a completely different mindset who can pull off a Leicester style miracle. We will be consistently outspent by the likes of Wolves and Everton and as we can see in the case of the former we are behind them, and in the case of the latter once they appoint a decent manager and supply him with the funds wasted by Silva it is only a matter of time before they do

One day we will realise that Emery wasn't so bad. I wonder how many managers it will take before that happens

Clash

Post by Clash »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:20 pm
Those hoping that Freddie would have shit miracles by now will one day understand that Dick needed two whole seasons and four windows to sweep the shit out of the door.

We will never know whether Saliba would have been the answer to his prayers or whether Pepe would have produced the "second season" wizardry that some of our greatest players in history had to wait for after joining from Ligue 1 and initially finding it tough.

Perhaps if the board hadn't let Ramsey and Alexis run their contracts down we might have bagged £100m to rebuild a defence that looks the worst in the league. Maybe if the previous cock hadn't tied our biggest underachiever to a massive £350k per week contract we could have signed three players within that budget

We will see how the next poor incumbent fares when he walks through the door expected to outgun all before him.

The only way we will ever go back to being a CL team again is if it is someone with a completely different mindset who can pull off a Leicester style miracle. We will be consistently outspent by the likes of Wolves and Everton and as we can see in the case of the former we are behind them, and in the case of the latter once they appoint a decent manager and supply him with the funds wasted by Silva it is only a matter of time before they do

One day we will realise that Emery wasn't so bad. I wonder how many managers it will take before that happens
I agree, although inevitably there are some morons out there that are actually started to suggest the same about Wenger - even though it is because of Wenger that we are years away from being properly competitive again. Several managers will come and go in the next 10-15 years or so but the malaise that set in under that fraud did so much damage that it was impossible for for someone to just come in and repair it within a year or two. It will take an age or someone very special to cleanse us.

I do think it got to the stage where Emery had to go because the players had given up on him. However, I think that says as much, if not more, about the mentality of them than it does about Emery. Apart from a few exceptions, our squad of players are looking more and more like a spoiled, pampered bunch of weaklings.

That's not to say Emery wasnt making mistakes but if the stories of players being ''bored'' by his video analysis are true then who do we blame for that? There is no way of knowing what it was like but maybe it was also that the players would just rather be at home playing their computer games or updating their profiles on social media etc. than studying their opponents? And maybe that's why it bored them?

Also, Emery gets sacked for poor results and performances ... but what about the idiot that signed that berk David Luiz? And spent £72m on a winger when we needed a CM? I very much doubt those were Emery's choices but he was still the one who paid the price.

Quite likely Emery was never the right man for us ... but the position we find ourselves in now is well over 10 years in the making and there is no quick or obvious fix! And I can see it getting worse before it starts to get better because instilling the much needed different mindset like you suggest SteveO, just doesnt appear to be in the clubs thinking.

And until it is and someone acknowledges that Wenger's negative influence needs to be eradicated from every part of the club and takes the necessary steps to do it, then nothing will change.