Who would you like to see as next manager POLL

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Who would you like to see as next manager

Poll ended at Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:04 pm

Arteta
No votes
Allegri
50%
Bergkamp
3%
Enrique
No votes
Freddie
3%
Mourinho
9%
Vieira
12%
Rodgers
15%
Santo
3%
Ten Hag
6%

Total votes: 34

augie

Re: Who would you like to see as next manager POLL

Post by augie »

goonersid wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:10 am
I think Arteta was their first choice to replace Wenger! but the widespread negative reaction on social media etc, was causing them concern! So when Emery came along he was a perfect get out!
That turned out to be a disaster, so I reckon the board have come to the conclusion that they should have stuck to their initial instincts, rather than be swayed by others

Granted we are but a small section of the AFC fanbase, but it is telling that he has zero votes here out of 34, so I think that it is fair to say that support for the plan to appoint him hasn't increased - actually in all likelihood support for his appointment will probably have gone down now because most Gooners believe that we need a more experienced manager now cos we are in an awful state, where as w weren't as bad back then

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

augie wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:52 am
goonersid wrote:
I think Arteta was their first choice to replace Wenger! but the widespread negative reaction on social media etc, was causing them concern! So when Emery came along he was a perfect get out!
That turned out to be a disaster, so I reckon the board have come to the conclusion that they should have stuck to their initial instincts, rather than be swayed by others

Granted we are but a small section of the AFC fanbase, but it is telling that he has zero votes here out of 34, so I think that it is fair to say that support for the plan to appoint him hasn't increased - actually in all likelihood support for his appointment will probably have gone down now because most Gooners believe that we need a more experienced manager now cos we are in an awful state, where as w weren't as bad back then
I agree Augie, it!s like sticking 2 fingers up to the fans.
I will however back him, until convinced otherwise, although I have a feeling he might surprise!

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

augie wrote:
goonersid wrote:

Agreed.
I think he could have been a better appointment originally than Emery but in the current situation I fear he might not be what is required.
he will need time - and he doesnt have it!

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:55 am
Alan Stubbs on Arteta: "He’s got an opinion, he had that as a player. He wasn’t afraid to say something if things weren’t right on the pitch. He’s one of them, who if somebody crosses him, I dont think he’d have a full blown argument with them, but they won’t be at the club long" https://t.co/3sCMPorSL8
Smudger in the press yesterday said he had heard that Arteta has a bit of a ruthless streak in him :shock: Doesn't come across that way but I hope that smudge is right.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Mikel Arteta gave an emotional speech to Man City players/staff at Etihad Campus this morning before leaving to complete formalities of appointment as Arsenal head coach. #MCFC training taking place now without him. Arteta to be presented by #AFC on Friday https://t.co/Q57Wg3ra2i

Midz

Post by Midz »

From SSN

"City are resigned to losing Arteta and will not stand in his way, but are expected to be less than flexible when it comes to both the amount of compensation and the payment schedules agreed with Arsenal."

:D We could be waiting another 3 weeks with the way our assholes, I mean board, deal with things.
And as they're trying to get money from us we could be waiting even longer.
What a shambolic joke of a club we have!

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

The Independent claim one of Mikel Arteta’s first tasks at #Arsenal will be to either convince big players to stay or overhaul his squad. The Independent has been told that Aubameyang actively wants to leave, reflecting a growing mood in the squad. https://t.co/RqReEhPsfy

Ljungberg told the hierarchy too many of the players didn’t care, & that was unlikely to change until a permanent appointment was made. Both Ljungberg & key officials are said to have been taken aback by just how much the players have dropped off & how slack some attitudes were. https://t.co/dsV0b406KD

Aubameyang wants to join a club he feels can better challenge for the top trophies quickly, & has little desire to commit to a medium-term project. Lacazette & Xhaka are among others considering their future, but several sources say its a feeling spreading among “half the squad”. https://t.co/vPWgx33GAB

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Midz wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:39 pm
From SSN

"City are resigned to losing Arteta and will not stand in his way, but are expected to be less than flexible when it comes to both the amount of compensation and the payment schedules agreed with Arsenal."

:D We could be waiting another 3 weeks with the way our assholes, I mean board, deal with things.
And as they're trying to get money from us we could be waiting even longer.
What a shambolic joke of a club we have!
We are a joke outfit from top to bottom.
For such a shower of tight bastards they don't half like pissing millions upon millions up the wall..

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

After watching a couple of interviews with Arteta from 2014, 2015 I'm slowly coming round to idea of him being a manager that will breath some life into the club.
In both interviews he's still a player but was very clear about his management style and the expectation as a manager he's have of his players. It was refreshing to hear and hopefully he can step up to his own expectation. I liked the way he spoke about what it takes to be a player at Arsenal, whilst still a player.
Maybe, coming from the generation of supporters who witnessed our greatest period in our modern history, wanting players from that period to be back at the club is a bit rose-tinted. Arteta is a post-Highbury player who I enjoyed watching play for us and he knows the stadium and training set-up well. It's only 3 years since he left. Maybe, just maybe he will bring back to the club an identity we lost after he left. The fact his hair has not changed in 20 years scares me, Hopefully, he'll do the same to a few lightweights in the squad. I bet he makes Xhaka cry in the first month.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

goonersid wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:13 pm
augie wrote:
goonersid wrote:

I agree Augie, it!s like sticking 2 fingers up to the fans.
I will however back him, until convinced otherwise, although I have a feeling he might surprise!

Me too! Sid.

2020 Wish List: Arsenal vs Scum in FA Cup Final and we turn the fuckerss Over ! :barscarf:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:28 pm
The Independent claim one of Mikel Arteta’s first tasks at #Arsenal will be to either convince big players to stay or overhaul his squad. The Independent has been told that Aubameyang actively wants to leave, reflecting a growing mood in the squad. https://t.co/RqReEhPsfy

Ljungberg told the hierarchy too many of the players didn’t care, & that was unlikely to change until a permanent appointment was made. Both Ljungberg & key officials are said to have been taken aback by just how much the players have dropped off & how slack some attitudes were. https://t.co/dsV0b406KD

Aubameyang wants to join a club he feels can better challenge for the top trophies quickly, & has little desire to commit to a medium-term project. Lacazette & Xhaka are among others considering their future, but several sources say its a feeling spreading among “half the squad”. https://t.co/vPWgx33GAB
Their attitude is obvious by their performances. Someone like Freddie may never have witnessed that sort of attitude before. Auba is past 30 years old so he is running out of time, and a player of his calibre should be playing in the Champions League. Henry did the same when he realised he wasn't going to win the champions league with us post 2006. Lacazette, Ozil and Xhaka can go, given their poor performances. In Ozil's case he may have to leave the Premier League after pissing off the Premier League's biggest customer.
AT least Auba is scoring goals. How has he got 11 goals this season when the team behind him has been so poor? Keeping him till the end of the season is critical to our push to hit the top 4. Looking at the fixtures ahead it is not an impossible task, just need a manager in place before the weekend.
I actually long for the days of being flat track bullies, at least it gave us a modicum of success.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

This all seems rather Tardy and Un-professional (by AFC) If you ask me....

In fact it all sounds Arse backwards - Surely the professional and legal route is to approach/speak with the club, then agree terms with said employee, who then says Farewell to his colleagues... :?

Could this be yet another PR/F8ckUp by the board/Arsenal transfer team? :?

BBC:

"Arsenal's legal team have been in contact with their Manchester City counterparts over Mikel Arteta becoming the next Gunners boss, but there is still no agreement in place.

Arteta has said his farewells to City staff, with the expectation being that he will be unveiled on Friday.

The Spaniard remains under contract as City are still waiting for Arsenal to offer to pay compensation.

Interim boss Freddie Ljungberg had his news conference cancelled on Thursday.

City remain angry at how Arsenal have conducted themselves since Sunday.

The Gunners failed to mention their interest in the 37-year-old succeeding Unai Emery despite the two teams meeting at the Emirates, but then sent two senior officials to Manchester for a late night meeting with Arteta following the champions' 3-0 win in London.

There has still been no call from anyone in a senior position at Arsenal to City, who do not blame Arteta as he has kept manager Pep Guardiola fully informed."

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

mcdowell42 wrote:
dropped off & how slack some attitudes were. https://t.co/dsV0b406KD

Seriously who the fuck cares if all our players fucked off, tbf while I was watching the game against city I thought they already had :roll:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

The Mirror say there was some bemusement at #Arsenal amid claims they had not formally spoken to City about their interest in Arteta. Raul Sanllehi has known Txiki Begiristain for more than 20 years. They have been in regular contact & even spoke before the weekend.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:44 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:

Their attitude is obvious by their performances. Someone like Freddie may never have witnessed that sort of attitude before. Auba is past 30 years old so he is running out of time, and a player of his calibre should be playing in the Champions League. Henry did the same when he realised he wasn't going to win the champions league with us post 2006. Lacazette, Ozil and Xhaka can go, given their poor performances. In Ozil's case he may have to leave the Premier League after pissing off the Premier League's biggest customer.
AT least Auba is scoring goals. How has he got 11 goals this season when the team behind him has been so poor? Keeping him till the end of the season is critical to our push to hit the top 4. Looking at the fixtures ahead it is not an impossible task, just need a manager in place before the weekend.
I actually long for the days of being flat track bullies, at least it gave us a modicum of success.
i had to read this twice just to check what you had actually put :lol: