other matches this weekend

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by augie »

I don't know English politics as well as you lot obviously, but is there a political party that used to be aligned with the national front ? I seem to remember in the early days in the soulless bowl, some party or national front lads, were handing out leaflets/fliers at the away fans entrance before a chelski or shammers game

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

I thought UKIP were known to be a bit on the far right of centre!! But they are more recent than you’re talking about.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Watching Spuds v Brighton on Premier...Screen turned a mustard colour and then the odds for the next Arsenal manager popped up on the screen, during play..
Spuds have just equalised after Brighton looking reasonably comfortable.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Absolute bullshit from Souness and Dalglish to say they cannot recall any racism during their time in the game. Dalglish was the Liverpool manager that signed Barnes, who then had bananas thrown at him by both sets of fans on Merseyside (as already pointed out on here). And Souness signed Mark Walters for Rangers, who was pelted with bananas from Celtic fans. The cameras focused in on loads of them along the line at the side the pitch in front of the ‘’jungle’’.

There’s no way these two could have missed these incidents so there is no excusing that kind of (selective) memory lapse :roll: Sometimes it’s better to say nothing.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:24 am
I don't know English politics as well as you lot obviously, but is there a political party that used to be aligned with the national front ? I seem to remember in the early days in the soulless bowl, some party or national front lads, were handing out leaflets/fliers at the away fans entrance before a chelski or shammers game
It was the BNP (Brtish National Party). The started around the mid-seventies and were prevalent in south east London. Headquarters were in welling so Millwall and West Ham would've been the closest teams.

I may be sufferring from the same kind of selective memory but I started going to Arsenal matches in 1988 and I cannot recall hearing or witnessing racsim from the North Bank. A bit of anit-semitism aimed at spurs fans but that soon stopped when through various fanzines running pieces on Jewish Arsenal supporters. In fact the only occasion i recall racist chanting from Arsenal supporters was the occasion of that adebayor incident at City.
From what I understand, Arsenal supporters always self-managed any racial slurs from within the camp, if you get my drift. :box: :box:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

A good question raised about the incident with Fred at the Manchester derby, why didn't Sterling lead a player walk off after witnessing the racist gesture aimed at Fred by a city supporter with sterling a few feet away?

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Well done fwank. Losing 2-0 at home to Southampton 😆

Ziegler1988

Post by Ziegler1988 »

clockender1 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:30 pm
Well done fwank. Losing 2-0 at home to Southampton 😆
No doubt they'll brownhole us on Sunday though

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:44 pm
augie wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:24 am
It was the BNP (Brtish National Party). The started around the mid-seventies and were prevalent in south east London. Headquarters were in welling so Millwall and West Ham would've been the closest teams.

I may be sufferring from the same kind of selective memory but I started going to Arsenal matches in 1988 and I cannot recall hearing or witnessing racsim from the North Bank. A bit of anit-semitism aimed at spurs fans but that soon stopped when through various fanzines running pieces on Jewish Arsenal supporters. In fact the only occasion i recall racist chanting from Arsenal supporters was the occasion of that adebayor incident at City.
From what I understand, Arsenal supporters always self-managed any racial slurs from within the camp, if you get my drift. :box: :box:

I started a few years before you and likewise cannot recall hearing racism in the ground which I must admit was quite an achievement in the late 70s. Like many London fans, I went to school with black kids, asian and chinese too for that matter and can always remember there being black lads around the place at Highbury. It was just normal.

There was bucketloads of y*d chanting in the North Bank, although that was always anti-scum rather than genuine anti-semetic which sounds daft but is how it was.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Liverpool destroyed Leicester City tonight but at 1-0 Leicester City were getting a bit of a lift and had threatened to threaten Liverpool a few times.Then Liverpool get a penalty that frankly would not be given against Liverpool. They are the best team by a mile and will win the title but you would get sick of decision after decision going their way.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Those fuckers are going to go unbeaten and break the 49 game unbeaten run to boot :banghead:

Just read they’ve taken 79 points from the last 81 available. That’s fucking incredible :shock:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Also just goes to show what a shit show the rest of the league is when the chavs are fourth yet are as close to bottom side Norwich as they are to Liverpool and the victims have a fucking game in hand to boot :banghead:

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

They've played pretty much the same eleven for the last two seasons straight and only now they're starting to pick up injuries. That's more luckier than what ever happens on the pitch.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

rodders999 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:48 pm
Those fuckers are going to go unbeaten and break the 49 game unbeaten run to boot :banghead:

Just read they’ve taken 79 points from the last 81 available. That’s fucking incredible :shock:
Thought last night at Leicester City would be the night their unbeaten run would possibly end. Thought the trip to Qatar would catch up with them , sadly I was wrong. For the first time I am fearing an invincible season for them.
I posted about two weeks ago that I thought a defeat was imminent for them because of the trip etc, may revise that now.

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

Bradywasking wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:26 am
rodders999 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:48 pm

Thought last night at Leicester City would be the night their unbeaten run would possibly end. Thought the trip to Qatar would catch up with them , sadly I was wrong. For the first time I am fearing an invincible season for them.
I posted about two weeks ago that I thought a defeat was imminent for them because of the trip etc, may revise that now.
They'll lose to City at the Etihad when the league is sown up in early April.