Manure (H) New Years Day 8pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: Manure (H) New Years Day 8pm

Post by augie »

Great result. Great first half performance. Ballsy second half performance 8) :barscarf:

Torreira was absolutely outstanding tonight - yes luiz had a super game too, but torreira was on a different level tonight :bowing21: :bowing21:

As a team tonights performace was immense - easy to work hard when you are playing well and everything is going for you, but in the second half we were under the cosh and battoned down the hatches and worked hard to keep them out. Kolasniac is an absolute car crash waiting to happen - he gets booked early (harshly it has to be said), but still goes in and gives away 2 more stupid cheap free kicks in the first half, plus he is too handsy with opposition players for my liking.

Ozil wasnt as prominent today as he was against the chavs, but he still played well and actually worked harder when he went into the number 9 position after laca went off.
Similarly xhaka did better tonight too - more disciplined both positionally and in the tackle, and it is playing a big part in making us more solid as a unit

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Thought we looked good for the majority of the match tonight, even when people legs started to go we kept our shape and kept running, yes fitness is a problem but that can he improved especially as the schedule eases up a bit in the new year. Credit where credit is due Ozil was very good tonight and kept running and hustling something you dont see often enough from him, Luiz was good and kept talking and organising the backline, Laca and PEA kept running but you could see they were both shot by 70 mins, Laca desperately needs a goal. Torriera was excellent again and is back to playing how he did when he joined us, AMN wasn't quite as bad as usual and Sokratis put in some good challenges.

Overall it was a good performance and you can definitely see a better attitude and discipline from the players, if they can gradually bring their fitness up then just maybe we might have a decent 2nd half of the season. Small steps I know and too early to get excited but there are definite signs of improvement and most of the players seem to be buying into whatever Arteta is saying.

Finally I fucking love doing over the Manc Scum COYG :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Arteta says Xhaka has told him that he's going to stay at #Arsenal. https://t.co/oEmLvuCR0n

Is there a tin hat emoticon on here. :lol:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

northbank123 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:22 pm
Bradywasking wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:20 pm
goonertux wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:57 pm
Dare I say it but Xhaka had a good game!
Yes he had.. No harm in saying it either....
Last 4 games he hasn’t been a disaster. Which is great praise by his standards.

He has also not been particularly good and has still given the ball away needlessly around the edge of our own box.

Still, let’s not be greedy.
Have to be honest but I thought Guendouzi was more of a liability when he came on..Would love Xhaka to move on and would love to see Guendouzi develop into a top class midfielder at Arsenal , but tonight Xhaka wasn't so bad..

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:13 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:07 pm
Absolutely damning interview form side show about Emery there.
Missed it, what did he say?
Said we can’t fully play as Arteta wants us to yet because the fitness levels aren’t up to it. Also commented how it’s so much better playing with happiness rather than the sadness of before :shock:

One thing I will say for certain is that they weren't happy before because they didn't want emery - the blame for that lies with them as much as it does emery

The fitness issue could be from a number of things - we have prima donna players who in recent months have shown a complete lack of willingness to work during the games, and maybe that attitude was also on display at training and if you don't train hard you will never be fit. The lack of fitness could also be as a result of the training they were doing under emery - some managers spend far too much time on technical drills etc and the fitness training suffers as a result. As I said, it could be for a number of reasons

augie

Post by augie »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:50 pm
Arteta says Xhaka has told him that he's going to stay at #Arsenal. https://t.co/oEmLvuCR0n

Is there a tin hat emoticon on here. :lol:

There goes my hopes of bringing in some transfer funds :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Probably the best performance I've seen from an Arsenal team since the 2017 Cup final. Players that have let us down in the last 18 months actually looked decent.
Auba led from the front. Lacazette worked hard but desperately needs a goal. Pepe looked like he could've roasted Shaw had he had the courage to take him on more often. Ozil stood up to be counted which is a surprise, usually a game he goes missing, but he just got better and stronger as the game went on.
Surprised with Nelson who looked way of the pace for a Premier League player, thought he was quicker.
Torreira showed his fighting qualities and fitness. Think there are a few players with a mental barrier that they need to break through. Thought Luiz was gonna burst into tears in the post match interview.
That's a marker for Arteta.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Mikel Arteta: "Kolasinac wasn't ready but said if you need me, I'll play. Same with Pépé."

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

Tonight was exactly what the doctor ordered. We were aggressive, tenacious and had an actual plan. I didn't want Arteta, but since he took over we shit ourselves in front of goal to deny us the win against Bournemouth, had Pawson and Leno to deny us against Chelsea and then won tonight, Arteta is obviously having an impact. As others have said, watching Luiz in that post match interview was beyond telling. Emery was a broken record to this squad and all they needed was a fresh face giving them instructions. Anyway what a win COYG :barscarf: On a side-note i hope that *word censored* Lingard enjoyed his 15 minutes of fame in the past as even Stevie Wonder can see he's shit and will be with a relegation threatened side soon.

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Think we need to give Nelson a chance, he did well in Germany but we know playing in the pl is very different . Many experienced European club players struggle for a season so it’s no surprise if a young player takes a while to adapt
It’s a quiet house tonight here :D :D
How many times have we beaten them in the last 6 years I can only remember the game 2 (?)years ago where again Ozil was sublime

Clash

Post by Clash »

BFG4 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:36 pm
Tonight was exactly what the doctor ordered. We were aggressive, tenacious and had an actual plan. I didn't want Arteta, but since he took over we shit ourselves in front of goal to deny us the win against Bournemouth, had Pawson and Leno to deny us against Chelsea and then won tonight, Arteta is obviously having an impact. As others have said, watching Luiz in that post match interview was beyond telling. Emery was a broken record to this squad and all they needed was a fresh face giving them instructions. Anyway what a win COYG :barscarf: On a side-note i hope that *word censored* Lingard enjoyed his 15 minutes of fame in the past as even Stevie Wonder can see he's shit and will be with a relegation threatened side soon.
Nice post mate! I am feeling a lot better all of a sudden.

Of course it could all change very quickly but for tonight and the next few days at least it feels good.
Theoperator wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:39 pm
Think we need to give Nelson a chance, he did well in Germany but we know playing in the pl is very different . Many experienced European club players struggle for a season so it’s no surprise if a young player takes a while to adapt
It’s a quiet house tonight here :D :D
How many times have we beaten them in the last 6 years I can only remember the game 2 (?)years ago where again Ozil was sublime
I'm pretty sure we beat them in Feb / Mar 2019 under Emery (having lost to them at home in the FA cup).

But yeah I know what you mean. They're shite and we havent beaten them anywhere near often enough!

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Bradywasking wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:50 pm
northbank123 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:22 pm
Bradywasking wrote:
goonertux wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:57 pm
Dare I say it but Xhaka had a good game!
Yes he had.. No harm in saying it either....
Last 4 games he hasn’t been a disaster. Which is great praise by his standards.

He has also not been particularly good and has still given the ball away needlessly around the edge of our own box.

Still, let’s not be greedy.
Have to be honest but I thought Guendouzi was more of a liability when he came on..Would love Xhaka to move on and would love to see Guendouzi develop into a top class midfielder at Arsenal , but tonight Xhaka wasn't so bad..
Not a time for negatives, but Guendozi and Nelson will hopefully be fringe players

What the fuck has happened to Luis and Ozil....have to keep up that level of form, been impressive

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

So many positives last night and so much to admire..For me the biggest single positive was the shape of the team throughout. Also the workrate and discipline shown in the face of the cynical and provocative fouling by Man Utd players, Fred in particular.
Surprises were the performance of Luiz and Xhaka to a lesser degree. Aubameyang became a left back when Saka was caught upfield was something we wouldn't have seen a month ago. There also seems to be lessons taken onboard from Arteta's first two games, for example holding the shape compared to Sunday after Chelsea equalised. Admittedly it is easier hold the shape when you are two goals ahead instead of when you concede a late equaliser. We did concede ground early in the second half which was a worry but United's much hyped up attack in reality didn't lay a glove on us. Ole looked like Emery in his last few days at Arsenal, sat there unable to change things and also not knowing how to.
There is a lot to do and feet should be firmly kept on the ground, there are good signs but there are pitfalls ahead. Arteta has gone through the full range in three games, his team have rescued a point threw away at least a point and then held onto three points comfortably.
No banging a drum about corners turned but certainly and hopefully a lifting of the negativity.
Footnote on the last two games at home,on both occasions the referee has been dreadful from.an Arsenal point of view. United were cynical and at time dirty last night, Fred in particular. Maguire not far behind and I don't think United received one yellow card.

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

StuartL wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:14 pm
Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:41 pm
Something wonderfully Sunday morning pub league about Torreira having a drink and a snack on the pitch.
Maybe if it was a pint and a burger, with a fag on the go :D
Brings back memories of Hackney Marshes round the Fevers after the game for a pint & eels. Not on the pitch though.
The game was OK too !!.
3 more points today in our relegation battle most welcome. Torreira was great. :barscarf: :barscarf:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Bradywasking wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:27 am
So many positives last night and so much to admire..For me the biggest single positive was the shape of the team throughout. Also the workrate and discipline shown in the face of the cynical and provocative fouling by Man Utd players, Fred in particular.
Surprises were the performance of Luiz and Xhaka to a lesser degree. Aubameyang became a left back when Saka was caught upfield was something we wouldn't have seen a month ago. There also seems to be lessons taken onboard from Arteta's first two games, for example holding the shape compared to Sunday after Chelsea equalised. Admittedly it is easier hold the shape when you are two goals ahead instead of when you concede a late equaliser. We did concede ground early in the second half which was a worry but United's much hyped up attack in reality didn't lay a glove on us. Ole looked like Emery in his last few days at Arsenal, sat there unable to change things and also not knowing how to.
There is a lot to do and feet should be firmly kept on the ground, there are good signs but there are pitfalls ahead. Arteta has gone through the full range in three games, his team have rescued a point threw away at least a point and then held onto three points comfortably.
No banging a drum about corners turned but certainly and hopefully a lifting of the negativity.
Footnote on the last two games at home,on both occasions the referee has been dreadful from.an Arsenal point of view. United were cynical and at time dirty last night, Fred in particular. Maguire not far behind and I don't think United received one yellow card.
Begining to think there is a ref conspiracy TBH...Maguire and Fred got away with murder
So quick to book kolasinac after 2 minutes when they must have replicated same foul many times with no booking
Ozil was raked down the back of his leg by Maguire in front of the ref and not even a foul given
Ref was totally fucking useless