VAR

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Post Reply
User avatar
augie
Posts: 26166
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: VAR

Post by augie »

Someone explain this to me please -

72 mins gone in the scum game and ward-prowse scythes (nobody uses that phrase anymore :rubchin: ) down celso and gets a yellow card, but var hold up the game to check in see if it should have been a red card (how they thought that is beyond me :roll: ) - if they can review a yellow to see if it should have been a red, how can they not intervene when jorginho should have got a second yellow last sunday ? Coincidentally the same thing happened again today when another chavs player (kovacic) should have got a second yellow - are they making up the rules as they go along ??

User avatar
GoonerMuzz
Posts: 4283
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:53 pm
Location: Defending is optional

Re: VAR

Post by GoonerMuzz »

augie wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:37 pm
Someone explain this to me please -

72 mins gone in the scum game and ward-prowse scythes (nobody uses that phrase anymore :rubchin: ) down celso and gets a yellow card, but var hold up the game to check in see if it should have been a red card (how they thought that is beyond me :roll: ) - if they can review a yellow to see if it should have been a red, how can they not intervene when jorginho should have got a second yellow last sunday ? Coincidentally the same thing happened again today when another chavs player (kovacic) should have got a second yellow - are they making up the rules as they go along ??
Yes Augie, yes they are, and if you're one of the in favour teams you'll get the decisions whether VAR is referred to or not.

Clash
Posts: 2701
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: VAR

Post by Clash »

augie wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:37 pm
Someone explain this to me please -

72 mins gone in the scum game and ward-prowse scythes (nobody uses that phrase anymore :rubchin: ) down celso and gets a yellow card, but var hold up the game to check in see if it should have been a red card (how they thought that is beyond me :roll: ) - if they can review a yellow to see if it should have been a red, how can they not intervene when jorginho should have got a second yellow last sunday ? Coincidentally the same thing happened again today when another chavs player (kovacic) should have got a second yellow - are they making up the rules as they go along ??
You mean you've only just noticed? :D

VAR has changed nothing. Its just a different method of making inconsistent decisions and creating as many controversies :roll:

Red Snapper
Posts: 914
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:57 pm

Re: VAR

Post by Red Snapper »

And now they've overturned a red card in the Wham game. Looked a bad foul to me but the player was called back and changed to yellow card. I imagine the ref asked for a revue but I had the sound off due to that female summariser with the voice that makes you think four inch nails are being hammered into your ears and every screeched sentence is a cliché.

User avatar
northbank123
Posts: 12260
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:05 am
Location: Newcastle

Re: VAR

Post by northbank123 »

That was a fucking shocking tackle by Cresswell. Clearly went in to put one on the guy, horribly high and could have done him serious damage.

Is that seriously a clear and obvious mistake by the referee, just because he lightly brushed the ball on the way through trying to cripple the bloke?

User avatar
StuartL
Posts: 6574
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 8:22 pm
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day and I’m feeling good

Re: VAR

Post by StuartL »

northbank123 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:06 pm
That was a fucking shocking tackle by Cresswell. Clearly went in to put one on the guy, horribly high and could have done him serious damage.

Is that seriously a clear and obvious mistake by the referee, just because he lightly brushed the ball on the way through trying to cripple the bloke?
I thought “getting a touch to the ball” was no longer enough to justify a dangerous challenge or going through someone.

“They don’t know what they’re doing, they don’t know what they’re doing”

User avatar
bunch
Posts: 564
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:08 pm
Location: UK

Re: VAR

Post by bunch »

VAR only get involved in straight red card decisions. Jorginho's foul last week should have been a yellow, which would have seen him walk, but it was never a straight red so no VAR involvement.

User avatar
Bradywasking
Posts: 5932
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:14 am

Re: VAR

Post by Bradywasking »

VAR DECISION..Sheffield United's goal tonight has been disallowed..

User avatar
DB10GOONER
Posts: 48450
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland.
Contact:

Re: VAR

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bradywasking wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:44 am
VAR DECISION..Sheffield United's goal tonight has been disallowed..
:lol:

User avatar
Perryashburtongroves
Posts: 7624
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 6:18 pm
Location: At the start of a glorious era.

Re: VAR

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

northbank123 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:06 pm
That was a fucking shocking tackle by Cresswell. Clearly went in to put one on the guy, horribly high and could have done him serious damage.

Is that seriously a clear and obvious mistake by the referee, just because he lightly brushed the ball on the way through trying to cripple the bloke?

Reckless and likely to injure was all the rage a few years back and stopped all these silly *word censored* sitting there defending horrific tackles and thuggish behaviour by claiming that he played the ball so what's the problem. If you go jumping in to tackles or throwing yourself at someone's knee or ankle, it doesn't matter one bit whether you touch a tiny bit of the ball or not.

falkirk goon
Posts: 2975
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:33 am
Location: In a darkened room

Re: VAR

Post by falkirk goon »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:00 am
Bradywasking wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:44 am
VAR DECISION..Sheffield United's goal tonight has been disallowed..
:lol:
Ain't that the depressingly depressing truth..would be interesting to see how the table would really look if all the dodgy tickles here and there certain teams have had hadnt happened.

Jock Gooner
Posts: 2773
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:53 am

Re: VAR

Post by Jock Gooner »

I read an article in the press yesterday by the guy behind VAR.

He basically said that Mike Riley is misinterpreting the use of VAR and that the "clear and obvious" principle means that an offside being checked should be clear and obviously wrong for it to be given and a goal ruled out. They apparently have never proposed the level of cun.tishness which Riley has applied to checking offisides with his graphs, dotted lines, slide rules, protractors etc. Funny that eh :roll:

They are going to re-issue a really thick guidelines dossier to the FAs probably in the hope that someone hits Riley over the head with it.
Last edited by Jock Gooner on Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jock Gooner
Posts: 2773
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:53 am

Re: VAR

Post by Jock Gooner »

falkirk goon wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:31 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:00 am
Bradywasking wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:44 am
VAR DECISION..Sheffield United's goal tonight has been disallowed..
:lol:
Ain't that the depressingly depressing truth..would be interesting to see how the table would really look if all the dodgy tickles here and there certain teams have had hadnt happened.
One of the papers did that the other day - the victims would be top by 5 points as I recall.

User avatar
DB10GOONER
Posts: 48450
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland.
Contact:

Re: VAR

Post by DB10GOONER »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:13 pm
I read an article in the press yesterday by the guy behind VAR.

He basically said that Mike Riley is misinterpreting the use of VAR and that the "clear and obvious" principle means that an offside being checked should be clear and obviously wrong for it to be given and a goal ruled out. They apparently have never proposed the level of cun.tishness which Riley has applied to checking offisides with his graphs, dotted lines, slide rules, protractors etc. Funny that eh :roll:

They are going to re-issue a really thick guidelines dossier to the FAs probably in the hope that someone hits Riley over the head with it.
Hang the fuck on there buddy. Just let me get this right. Are you implying that Manchester Mike Really might be...... a bit of a cùnt? Well, I never! :shock:

:lol: :wink:

User avatar
northbank123
Posts: 12260
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:05 am
Location: Newcastle

Re: VAR

Post by northbank123 »

“The guy behind VAR” haha it’s using a TV screen to make decisions, he’s hardly Thomas Edison.

But clearly the offside thing is ludicrous, apparently other countries just look at it on the TV and say “yeah that’s quite obviously wrong” or it doesn’t get overturned.

Post Reply