What a shit decade (best/worst) merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Perryashburtongroves

Re: What a shit decade

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Players of the decade: Cazorla or Sanchez
Worst Players: Almunia, Santos, Squillaci, Sanogo, Chamakh, fucking hell, the list could go on and on
Best performances: Probably winning that FA Cup semi-final v City or the final v the Chavs, perhaps the 3-0 win over Manure a couple of years back or winning 2-0 at City in a Cazorla masterclass five or so years ago.
Worst performances: Fucking too many but stand outs include the league cup final against Birmingham, the maulings 8-2, 6-0, 5 whatever however many times. Losing 3-2 at Wigan after being 2-0 up with about five minutes to go, terrible performances season after season.
Best signing: Sanchez.
Overall rating: 4 out of 10. A decade of regression under 8 years of the worst management and 10 years of horrific decisions on and off the pitch.

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

SydneyGooner wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:59 pm
Best Player: Sanchez
Best Signing: Cazorla
Best Goal: Wilshere vs Norwich
Favourite Game: Beating Barcelona 2:1 at the Emirates
Favourite Moment: 20th April 2018 Wenger told to fuck off at the end of the season.

Sadly as I predicted back in 2015 this would be the first time since the 60's in which we would go a whole decade without winning a league title in our glorious history. The FA Cups were great but bitter-sweet at the same time because they only bought Wenger time he didn't deserve.
Shit decade but a good thread :barscarf:

Best player-Cazorla,wonderful two footed player and a snip at 15m,today under contract he would be worth 80m plus,joy to watch.
Best signing-Sanchez warrior of a player.always gave it everything and HATED losing,carried the team at times
Best goal-RVP v Everton,was at the game and was just a stunning strike.Wilshere team goal very good and a shout to Giroud v Palace insane strikes all,
Favourite game-Chelsea FA Cup final,Sanchez as above a warrior that day and Ramsey injury took a lot off him but scored and helped win two finals for us,
Favourite moment-Got to agree Wenger going,he should of gone years earlier and imo we stagnated and are paying for it now,

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Player of the decade - Sanchez. No competition if you’re being honest. Cazorla is rightly infinitely more popular than this guy, but Sanchez shone week in week out in a dreadful side.

Worst player - Xhaka or Mustafi. Two dreadful players who have played an unthinkable number of games for us and who have cost us time and time and fucking time again. Although in pure worst performances terms, Andre Santos was beyond belief. A fat Mexican wrestler masquerading as a professional footballer.

Best game/moment - Hull FA Cup final. We were dreadful for a lot of it (although less so than semi final against Wigan), but the best of the 6 finals I’ve been to in terms of what it meant to get that monkey of our back after all those years.

Worst game/moment - where to start? Birmingham LC final 2011, Bradford loss, various hammeringsat the hands of Liverpool, Chelsea and City. But hard to look past the 8-2 at Old Trafford.

Favourite goal - Rosicky at Spurs just pips Ramsey’s winner against Chelsea at Wembley.

Probably the biggest thing that I could say about the last decade is that I would opt for Wales for my favourite game/moment and goal, without a second’s hesitation. Never thought that would be the day.

DB10GOONER

Re: The Best and the Worst of the Decade

Post by DB10GOONER »

We don't need two threads about the decade gone kids. Merging this one into the other earlier one.

SydneyGooner

Re: What a shit decade (best/worst) merged thread

Post by SydneyGooner »

Even more so than when we only bought Cech in 2015 the £40m + £1 bid for Suarez in 2013 has got be the most embarrassing moment in the transfer market. We get Suarez that summer as our striker instead of lamp post Giroud and we would have won the league and the entire decade would have looked completely different.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

How can the most expensively acquired squad in Arsenal history produce the worst run of results in over 50 years? It is absolutely mind-blowing at the ineptness that we have witnessed from a very talent group of players. Hopefully, this coming decade will be a massive improvement on the last 10 years.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SydneyGooner wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:49 am
Even more so than when we only bought Cech in 2015 the £40m + £1 bid for Suarez in 2013 has got be the most embarrassing moment in the transfer market. We get Suarez that summer as our striker instead of lamp post Giroud and we would have won the league and the entire decade would have looked completely different.
No we wouldn't have. There was a lot more wrong with that team then just a misfiring average striker.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Beating Barcelona 2-1 in 2011 the purest highlight. Watching Jack outplay both Iniesta and Xavi was incredible and the future looked bright. Despite several hammerings over the years, 6-0 at Chelski, 5-1 at Anfield, and 4-0 at Southampton, not forgetting the 8-2, the lowest point for me was the 3-0 defeat by City last month. Never seen an Arsenal team play with less heart, quality and desire than in that game. To the point City took it easy on us because they could've easily humiliated us in our own back yard. To think 8 of the players that started in that game started the game against United and were a completely different team.
It took 18 years to win a league title last time we moved stadium, so here's to the title winning team of 2023/24 :barscarf: :barscarf:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

More worrying is the decade ahead!
Can honestly see those scouse bastards dominating English football for a large part of it!
Utd are a mess, chavs big spending days are over , citeh need a rebuild and even they will still be a small shite club!
As for us we can only hope for a rich foreign buyer to persuade the kroenkes to sell

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

goonersid wrote: More worrying is the decade ahead!
Can honestly see those scouse bastards dominating English football for a large part of it!
Utd are a mess, chavs big spending days are over , citeh need a rebuild and even they will still be a small shite club!
As for us we can only hope for a rich foreign buyer to persuade the kroenkes to sell
Was just about to post the exact same thing. If you think last decade was bad you ain't seen nothing yet!

Clash

Post by Clash »

I love that Wenger quote at the start of the decade about us being 2% away from domination. It’s incredible how accurate it turned out to be.

Hard to pick which one of our title winning seasons was the best during the 2010s.

Personally I would go for the 2011/12 season as things looked doomed when Almunia was poached by Madrid the previous summer. Fortunately that €80m was invested wisely and we were able to bring legends like Eboue, Song and Adebayor back to the club after stadium debt forced us to sell them to Barcelona.

Eboue’s one man performance in the 2014 CL final remains one of the great sporting moments of any decade. And the 15ft bronze statue is no more than he deserved. Only a fool would complain that the Bergkamp, Adams and Henry statues were melted down in order to make it.

Lord Wenger managing us to 5 titles, 3 CL’s, 6 FA cups and a super cup while at the same time working tirelessly with president G Weah in his role as vice-president of Liberia defies belief. Does the man ever sleep? It was also a very moving as well as humorous moment when the Pope himself knelt before Arsene.

But would any of this had been possible without humanitarian and animal lover, the great philanthropist himself, Sir Stan Kroenke? His selfless efforts and warm nature are not to be under-estimated. Waving his advisory fee to the Dalia lama is a sign of the mans class.

Sad to see Wenger go before the decade ended but our loss is NASA’s gain. I wish him luck on the solo Mars mission although deep down we all know he will not return. Sacrificing his life for the progress of mankind was always his true calling.

I shall certainly be raising a glass or two for this most memorable of decades :barscarf:

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Clash wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:52 pm

Lord Wenger managing us to 5 titles, 3 CL’s, 6 FA cups and a super cup while at the same time working tirelessly with president G Weah in his role as vice-president of Liberia defies belief. Does the man ever sleep? It was also a very moving as well as humorous moment when the Pope himself knelt before Arsene.
No Club World Championship.

Always knew he was useless

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clash wrote:
I love that Wenger quote at the start of the decade about us being 2% away from domination. It’s incredible how accurate it turned out to be.

Hard to pick which one of our title winning seasons was the best during the 2010s.

Personally I would go for the 2011/12 season as things looked doomed when Almunia was poached by Madrid the previous summer. Fortunately that €80m was invested wisely and we were able to bring legends like Eboue, Song and Adebayor back to the club after stadium debt forced us to sell them to Barcelona.

Eboue’s one man performance in the 2014 CL final remains one of the great sporting moments of any decade. And the 15ft bronze statue is no more than he deserved. Only a fool would complain that the Bergkamp, Adams and Henry statues were melted down in order to make it.

But would any of this had been possible without humanitarian and animal lover, the great philanthropist himself, Sir Stan Kroenke? His selfless efforts and warm nature are not to be under-estimated. Waving his advisory fee to the Dalia lama is a sign of the mans class.

Sad to see Wenger go before the decade ended but our loss is NASA’s gain. I wish him luck on the solo Mars mission although deep down we all know he will not return. Sacrificing his life for the progress of mankind was always his true calling.

I shall certainly be raising a glass or two for this most memorable of decades :barscarf:
:coffeespit: :lol: :lol:

I don't know about highlights of the decade but fucking post of the decade there Clash mate. I laughed out loud at a few of those "moments" in our glorious recent history! :lol: 8)

Can I ask a question? Is Wenger..... is he.... is he Jesus returned? :shock:

:wink:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Clash wrote:

You ungrateful bastard - clearly the mind plays tricks....you haven't even mentioned Calendar Year Champions 2013 have you? Have you forgotten that glorious 12 month period already :D

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Clash wrote:

Brilliant - Our very own Arsenal episode of 'Drunk History' as told by Clash :lol:

Just let me know when the sherry has finally run out and I'll get another bottle couriered over to you. Keep on it mate :lol: