Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

OneBardGooner

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by OneBardGooner »

rodders999 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:28 am
augie wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:23 am
Am I the only one that is getting pissed off with arteta continually going on about bonding with the fans in the media
Yes, yes you are.

8)

:rubchin:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

Changing the formation after our first win in yonks is the type of thing that emery would have been panned for, and yet nobody mentioned it all :roll:
Ludicrous decision imo

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

We won Augie, I guess he is experimenting, though agree we dont want endless Emery style experiments to go on.

I will take 1-0 anytime :lol:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

augie wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:04 pm
Changing the formation after our first win in yonks is the type of thing that emery would have been panned for, and yet nobody mentioned it all :roll:
Ludicrous decision imo

We won.

bunch

Post by bunch »

Did he change the formation? I saw 4 at the back, Sokratis at RB was an eye-opener though, Guendouzi for Torreira, Nelson for Auba.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:04 pm
Ludicrous decision imo
I'd imagine something popped up in training that made him decide to change it slightly to accomodate the players that he would be starting with. For me (if that is what happened) that's a huge positive. Wenger and Dick (to a lesser extent) were obsessed with wedging players into a system that many of the players were not suited to. A pragmatic manager looks at the players he has and picks the system / formation to get the best he can out of the players rather than rigidly sticking to a system and forcing players into it regardless of their ability to play in that system.

And in fairness we won. 8)

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

The biggest thing was that we missed Torreira. He has been excellent last few games - always showing deep for the ball, disciplined, tenacious out of possession in hassling opponents and winning the ball back. Even Xhaka has looked ok next to him as he hasn’t had to look for possession under pressure and has been able to mop up loose balls and passes caused by Torreira.

We were just utterly rudderless in the middle of the pitch yesterday - Xhaka and Guendouzi are not a PL midfield pairing. And as poor as the defenders were individually in that first half, it was back to the good old days of waving opposition midfielders through and leaving us stretched in 4v4 / 3v3 type situations far too often.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Laca said last night that tets was angry as he had warned them that Leeds would press hard and they ignored him.

I love the fact that there was a lot of shouting and it worked and the players actually responded.

Arteta just learned a bit about the team and their lack of self motivation. Hopefully, he can put that into every game now.

Another win, another clean sheet - one goal conceded in three games, and unbeaten in three.

Not bad so far given our super poor quality and attitude. He might just be turning around the oil tanker.

Clash

Post by Clash »

clockender1 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:00 am
Laca said last night that tets was angry as he had warned them that Leeds would press hard and they ignored him.

I love the fact that there was a lot of shouting and it worked and the players actually responded.

Arteta just learned a bit about the team and their lack of self motivation. Hopefully, he can put that into every game now.

Another win, another clean sheet - one goal conceded in three games, and unbeaten in three.

Not bad so far given our super poor quality and attitude. He might just be turning around the oil tanker.
We lost to Chelsea and conceded two :(

Let's hope you're right about the oil tanker though - nice analogy :D

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Clash wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:24 am
clockender1 wrote:

There definitely seems to be a little bit of something changing, it is tiny at the moment but it is there, i would prefer Glacial Shift to Oil Tanker Turning but i'm a pedantic bastard.

I said i'd give him 8 games to see where he is heading and he is half way into that already so i may have been a little optimistic because the change is still very small at the moment but we'll see if he can change things significantly or not

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Clash wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:24 am
clockender1 wrote:

Ah fuck. Completely forgot about that game. We were totally robbed there and deserved a draw.

I thinks its the right analogy - the whole club needs turning around. Which we knew.

The players should go out fired up, aggressive, hungry to get the ball and fight for it. Yesterday showed that that mindset is not embedded in the club at all.

I played mens football to a reasonable level for four clubs, and every single dressing room pre-match was the same - geeing each other up, getting lairy, bigging yourself up to win the very first ball, first header, first 50/50, the captain shouting 'keep it tight today lads' , lads booting the walls to get the blood going.

The intent was to dominate physically from the very first whistle - as GG said, you fight to win the right to play your football.

If, and its a big if, Arteta can put the fight back in the club, instead of this quiet calm 'just go out and play' bollocks, then he could turn the club round quite quickly.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Senior player admitting that they ignored the manager's tactics. Maybe, it wasn't all down to emery. Fair plat for Arteta's reaction, never had him down as a shouter, throwing the proverbial tea cups. First time since 2012 an arsenal manager has lost it with his players at half time. Again, another marker set down Arteta.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

After watching the first half, I must admin I was 'Concerned' (at how Bad we were), but to see that the team came out for the 2nd half like a different 11 players (well almost) and turn it all around was such a relief (oooh! missus :oops: ). Also, to know that he gave them all a Bollocking is extremely Gratifying and does indeed give me hope that he might (I said 'might' - okay Sid so cool yer jets) :D :wink: and that maybe, just maybe Arteta might just be the correct choice for manager.

Time Will Tell :|

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:53 pm
Senior player admitting that they ignored the manager's tactics. Maybe, it wasn't all down to emery. Fair plat for Arteta's reaction, never had him down as a shouter, throwing the proverbial tea cups. First time since 2012 an arsenal manager has lost it with his players at half time. Again, another marker set down Arteta.
Thing is when he's on the touchline - Besides being 'animated' He has that Dead Serious Look on him (like Pepe it has to be said) He is quick to laughter in the pre & post match interviews where it is warranted, but you can tell he takes NO SHYTE and will dropm the axe on someone if it is needed.

Arteta Whooaaa Whooaaa Ohh!

He's got Captain Scarlet Hair!

Arteta Whooaaa Whooaaa Ohh!

He kicks butt and he don't care! :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Post Match presser with Arteta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCgn6k3AwAI

When asked about the first half...."No! I was NOT Happy" Damn Straight Mikel you tell em son 8)