ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
GoonerMuzz

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Laca's finishing is the problem, too often he gets into good positions and then either takes one touch too many and his shot is closed down or he fluffs the shot but at times his positional play and ability to turn people is very good. Often he is more in the game than PEA but doesnt have the same impact. The problem with PEA is he is very mercurial, he disappears from games too often but then suddenly scores a goal. His goal scoring is the only reason I'd want to keep him, but without his goals we'd have even more serious problems.

It's a quandary that needs solving because I'd also like to see Martinelli have much more game time but PEA obviously gets the position and Pepe also seems to get the nod over him, and again for me Martinelli is the better of those two right now.

I'm convinced that all of our strikers would perform better if our midfield and defense were more solid, quicker and better at distribution. Again all our issues are inter dependant, our defense is poor and therefore often sits too deep, this causes the midfield to sit further back creating too big a gap to the front players which means by the time they get the ball too them the opposition has had time to reorganise and plug the gaps we should be exploiting. This must be very annoying for the forwards and too often you can see their frustrations on the pitch. From a psychological point of view it means they are overthinking every chance or trying toò much and this is what is causing so many poor attempts.

Until the issues through the defense and midfield are resolved either by replacement or coaching the strike rate wont improve.

Redstar

Post by Redstar »

So far the biannual talk or Ozil leaving hasn't really emerged. Maybe the scumbag press have finally realised no one will fall for the guesses on this any more.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:57 pm
Laca's finishing is the problem, too often he gets into good positions and then either takes one touch too many and his shot is closed down or he fluffs the shot but at times his positional play and ability to turn people is very good. Often he is more in the game than PEA but doesnt have the same impact. The problem with PEA is he is very mercurial, he disappears from games too often but then suddenly scores a goal. His goal scoring is the only reason I'd want to keep him, but without his goals we'd have even more serious problems.

It's a quandary that needs solving because I'd also like to see Martinelli have much more game time but PEA obviously gets the position and Pepe also seems to get the nod over him, and again for me Martinelli is the better of those two right now.

I'm convinced that all of our strikers would perform better if our midfield and defense were more solid, quicker and better at distribution. Again all our issues are inter dependant, our defense is poor and therefore often sits too deep, this causes the midfield to sit further back creating too big a gap to the front players which means by the time they get the ball too them the opposition has had time to reorganise and plug the gaps we should be exploiting. This must be very annoying for the forwards and too often you can see their frustrations on the pitch. From a psychological point of view it means they are overthinking every chance or trying toò much and this is what is causing so many poor attempts.

Until the issues through the defense and midfield are resolved either by replacement or coaching the strike rate wont improve.
Agree with all of that. I would say though that Arteta seems to have identified the positional issue because from the chav game on you can see we are trying to keep that two rows of defence and midfield within touching distance as the ball moves up and down the pitch. Of course it doesn't always work as this type of disciplined approach is totally new and foreign to so many of our players. But it bodes well that Arteta has identified it and is obviously trying to address it.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Rumours abounding that we are 'in for' Barcawhores Umtiti.

Hope not he is Injury Ridden to poxville and back.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Granit Xhaka will stay at Arsenal due to Arsenal demanding a high price for him according to @DiMarzio

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:59 pm
Granit Xhaka will stay at Arsenal due to Arsenal demanding a high price for him according to @DiMarzio

I think our very own Rodders has the low down on this:

"Just my opinion mind, but I reckon the Hertha Berlin transfer which was mooted for January has now already been agreed for the summer. I can't really see another explanation for such a turnaround and the Chambers injury is the reason why." (Rodders & Barry White)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Umtiti sounds like an old punchline from some comedy show years ago Little Britain or the Fast Show..... "titty mommy um titty....". :lol:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Arsenal and Man Utd are both interested in signing Samuel Umtiti.

Arsenal still haven’t made a new bid for Dayot Upamecano, but it is expected sooner rather than later. Barcelona now in the hunt for him too.

Nathan Ake, Lewis Dunk & Boubacar Kamara also on Arsenal’s shortlist.

wibble

Post by wibble »

I see smith-Rowe has joined Huddersfield on loan. Good luck to him, hopefully he gets decent game time

augie

Post by augie »

wibble wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:20 am
I see smith-Rowe has joined Huddersfield on loan. Good luck to him, hopefully he gets decent game time

Agree, but is huddersfield the best we can do for him ? When nketieh went out on loan it was to leeds, and now we are on the verge of sending him to another club challenging for promotion (Bristol city), but we are sending smith-rowe to a team in 20th place and fighting relegation :?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:08 am
wibble wrote:

Agree, but is huddersfield the best we can do for him ? When nketieh went out on loan it was to leeds, and now we are on the verge of sending him to another club challenging for promotion (Bristol city), but we are sending smith-rowe to a team in 20th place and fighting relegation :?
More concerning for me is that we have a threadbare squad and hopefully will be fighting on three fronts when the window closes. Smith Rowe has had regular FA Cup and EL game time in recent seasons - not sure what going to Huddersfield is going to do for him or us

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:43 am
augie wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:08 am
wibble wrote:

More concerning for me is that we have a threadbare squad and hopefully will be fighting on three fronts when the window closes. Smith Rowe has had regular FA Cup and EL game time in recent seasons - not sure what going to Huddersfield is going to do for him or us
The only thing I can think of is a relegation scrap will toughen him up maybe ? To have to fight for the ball, to regain and chase if you have conceded possession.

Think he is talented but then so have many others previously and not made it.....

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I can't believe that more people aren't outraged by the lack of a proper RB in the entire squad. To me its what cost us the EL final and numerous other big games, but generally people seem content to see Maitland Niles getting rinsed there every week, and the hope that Supermodel Hector is going to come back and solve our woes

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

ESR going on loan is baffling for me, Willock is in more need of a loan spell as he is truly woeful when he plays, but even more so when you consider as bad as Ozil is if he suffered an injury Willock would be the only replacement left in the system Arteta wants to play :rubchin:

I also agree with SteveO we have a shit RW playing at RB and a shit CB, Sokratis, as the back up now Chambers is injured. Unless Bellerin has had a hair transplant during his injury I cant see him improving even when he is back to full fitness, his time under Wenger broke what was potentially a great player........AKB huh :banghead:

To be honest we have huge deficiencies all over the park, not just in defense, Xhaka, Dozer, Willock, Ozil, Pepe, Reiss-Nelson, Laca and even PEA are hardly setting the league alight in fact if I'm honest the only players I'd definitely keep right now are Leno, Torriera, Saka and Martinelli :banghead:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:15 pm
ESR going on loan is baffling for me, Willock is in more need of a loan spell as he is truly woeful when he plays, but even more so when you consider as bad as Ozil is if he suffered an injury Willock would be the only replacement left in the system Arteta wants to play :rubchin:

I also agree with SteveO we have a shit RW playing at RB and a shit CB, Sokratis, as the back up now Chambers is injured. Unless Bellerin has had a hair transplant during his injury I cant see him improving even when he is back to full fitness, his time under Wenger broke what was potentially a great player........AKB huh :banghead:

To be honest we have huge deficiencies all over the park, not just in defense, Xhaka, Dozer, Willock, Ozil, Pepe, Reiss-Nelson, Laca and even PEA are hardly setting the league alight in fact if I'm honest the only players I'd definitely keep right now are Leno, Torriera, Saka and Martinelli :banghead:
When you sum it up like that it's not hard to see why we're closer to the drop zone than the CL places (in terms of points). Once Aubameyang walked today, I looked at the entire team and thought "right....who is going to take this game by the scruff of the neck" and I was pinning myself on an 18 year old coming off the bench. When he did come off he put Pepe, Ozil and Lacazette to shame. The one plus point with Auba's red is that we should get to see more of Martinelli and I hope he uses the opportunity to push Lacazette out of the side once Auba returns. I'd stick Martinelli out wide and Auba down the middle

I also go back to the much fabled youth system we have here. I hear so much about it, but are we really saying that we don't have a centre half or RB worthy of the name anywhere within our academy capable of challenging has beens, never will be's and players being played out of position consistently?