Palace (A) PL 11/01 @ 12:30

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Palace (A) PL 11/01 @ 12:30

Post by DB10GOONER »

Just reshowed it. Never a red. Fucking ludicrous. The oppo player put his foot in quicker to where Boomerang went to get the ball.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

It's not reckless it's not high it's not at pace he hasn't gone at the players leg..... fucking game is dead.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

SteveO not sure how you make out we’ve gotten worse since Emery left? You already forgotten games away at Watford where we conceded 30+ chances or getting the run around at home from all the relegation fodder?

We’re a thousand miles away from where we need to be but the shit being produced from Emery certainly ain’t what we’re missing.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:43 pm
Just reshowed it. Never a red. Fucking ludicrous. The oppo player put his foot in quicker to where Boomerang went to get the ball.
The upside is Martinelli will probably have to start now....a chance to showcase his talents as he eyes a potential summer exit. :? :cry:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:46 pm
SteveO not sure how you make out we’ve gotten worse since Emery left? You already forgotten games away at Watford where we conceded 30+ chances or getting the run around at home from all the relegation fodder?

We’re a thousand miles away from where we need to be but the shit being produced from Emery certainly ain’t what we’re missing.
Have to agree. We are still miles from where we need to be absolutely but Emery was clueless no matter how likeable he was.

Cannon

Post by Cannon »

just highlights the need to bring in players and transform our squad.

we seem to have found a good manager in arteta, he has a clear philosophy and we're playing with strategy in place but he needs the players to execute his system.

players like sokratis offer nothing, he's garbage and we need to upgrade. i also don't think we're right in the middle of the park, i like torreira but we need someone better next to him.

the signs are there. now let's back him in the transfer windows.
Last edited by Cannon on Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

xisstential wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:47 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:43 pm
The upside is Martinelli will probably have to start now....a chance to showcase his talents as he eyes a potential summer exit. :? :cry:
I was hoping we'd keep him under Madrid's radar. That's looking fucked now..... :|

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

rodders999 wrote:

As my post said - lower points average, worse goal difference. I also saw the first half against a Championship side on Monday where they had 13 attempts on goal

Forgive me for not seeing the massive improvement

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

I don't yearn for the days of Emery, just like I don't for the days of Wenger but I dunno about Arteta? I don't think he brought enough muscle or presence to the job. The managers have been lined up as targets, the real problem is the Kroenke's...…..it's a Catch 22, they will not employ high profile managers who will make demands so we are going to be stuck with middle managers which equates to a mid table team.

Lets just hope we don't eventually end up on the Allardyce, Pardew, Warnock, etc, spinning wheel. Or, God forbid, a Wenger return.

Cannon

Post by Cannon »

rodders999 wrote:

i agree with this.

i was really disappointed with the appointment of arteta but im happy to eat humble pie and say ive been quietly surprised at how we've fared under him so far. from conceding 20+ shots every game and never dominating any part of matches to having spells where we control games and coming away disappointed at not getting 3 points.

but the biggest thing for me is tactically we look a lot better than before. there's structure and organisation to our game, joe cole done some brilliant analysis pre-match highlighting how we set up differently on and off the ball compared to the previous regime. putting these things in place takes time, especially when there's been zero tactics in place for 10+ years. arteta isn't teaching the baby to run, he's teaching it to walk.

im excited to see what he can do with time and his own players.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:53 pm
rodders999 wrote:

As my post said - lower points average, worse goal difference. I also saw the first half against a Championship side on Monday where they had 13 attempts on goal

Would you really rather that Dick was still in charge?

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Cannon wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:05 pm
rodders999 wrote:

i agree with this.

i was really disappointed with the appointment of arteta but im happy to eat humble pie and say ive been quietly surprised at how we've fared under him so far. from conceding 20+ shots every game and never dominating any part of matches to having spells where we control games and coming away disappointed at not getting 3 points.

but the biggest thing for me is tactically we look a lot better than before. there's structure and organisation to our game, joe cole done some brilliant analysis pre-match highlighting how we set up differently on and off the ball compared to the previous regime. putting these things in place takes time, especially when there's been zero tactics in place for 10+ years. arteta isn't teaching the baby to run, he's teaching it to walk.

His obsession with not letting Xhaka leave is a scathing indictment. I don't buy this crap about there not being anyone else. If we started every game with 10 men it would make very little difference. He is that poor, he might as well not be there.....you could even argue that there are times when we would be better off with 10 men.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Just like when any new manager gets appointed, we all want him to do well but I seriously think people are seeing what they want to see

When Emery left, Freddie had a chance to create the bounce......and there wasn't one. We won one game - producing 15 mins decent football at West Ham - despite playing Norwich, Brighton, Standard Liege and a managerless Everton. I'll forgive him the Man City trouncing. We showed no improvement in any of those games

Since then we have drawn 1-1 at Bournemouth who have been getting walloped left, right and centre, lost to Chelsea having played woefully from the minute Lampard made the one big change after 35 minutes, beat Man U in our one decent performance since he took over, before 45 minutes of the worst football I've seen all season against a Championship side and scraping a 1-0 win. Then today - which was a piss poor game against a Palace team playing Kelly, Cahill, Tomkins and Riedewald at the back.

People say we're not conceding the same number of chances - watch the first half of the Leeds game

People say we look more dynamic - today was as flat as a pancake long before the sending off

People say he's getting a tune out of certain players - well the same usual lazy fuckers away from home (Lacazette, Ozil, Pepe) all looked absolutely shite today again

Today was every bit as awful as anything in Dick's one and a bit years. We can't beat Bournemouth or Palace away - that's like Wenger's last season

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:18 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:53 pm
rodders999 wrote:

Would you really rather that Dick was still in charge?
Instead of Arteta? Yes, absolutely. If you gave me the option of replacing him with someone like Allegri, then not.

Cannon

Post by Cannon »

xisstential wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:19 pm
Cannon wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:05 pm
rodders999 wrote:

i agree with this.

His obsession with not letting Xhaka leave is a scathing indictment. I don't buy this crap about there not being anyone else. If we started every game with 10 men it would make very little difference. He is that poor, he might as well not be there.....you could even argue that there are times when we would be better off with 10 men.
yeah the one negative out of this is that xhaka looks like he's staying and it's purely down to timing. had arteta been appointed after january xhaka would be long gone. but arteta has come in and given everyone a clean slate and i can see where he's coming from.

in terms of xhaka he's looked better recently but he'll always let you down so it'll only be a matter of time. rumours are we want to strengthen CM so hopefully they're aware and putting things in place behind the scenes but first and foremost we need to sort the defence out. build the foundations from the back with a top centre half like upamecano, plus we have saliba coming in the summer. once we have the central defence sorted we can look at other areas like right back/centre mid/replacing ozil.