Palace (A) PL 11/01 @ 12:30

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

Re: Palace (A) PL 11/01 @ 12:30

Post by SteveO 35 »

Cannon wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:30 pm
xisstential wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:19 pm
Cannon wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:05 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:46 pm
SteveO not sure how you make out we’ve gotten worse since Emery left? You already forgotten games away at Watford where we conceded 30+ chances or getting the run around at home from all the relegation fodder?

We’re a thousand miles away from where we need to be but the shit being produced from Emery certainly ain’t what we’re missing.
i agree with this.

i was really disappointed with the appointment of arteta but im happy to eat humble pie and say ive been quietly surprised at how we've fared under him so far. from conceding 20+ shots every game and never dominating any part of matches to having spells where we control games and coming away disappointed at not getting 3 points.

but the biggest thing for me is tactically we look a lot better than before. there's structure and organisation to our game, joe cole done some brilliant analysis pre-match highlighting how we set up differently on and off the ball compared to the previous regime. putting these things in place takes time, especially when there's been zero tactics in place for 10+ years. arteta isn't teaching the baby to run, he's teaching it to walk.

im excited to see what he can do with time and his own players.
His obsession with not letting Xhaka leave is a scathing indictment. I don't buy this crap about there not being anyone else. If we started every game with 10 men it would make very little difference. He is that poor, he might as well not be there.....you could even argue that there are times when we would be better off with 10 men.
yeah the one negative out of this is that xhaka looks like he's staying and it's purely down to timing. had arteta been appointed after january xhaka would be long gone. but arteta has come in and given everyone a clean slate and i can see where he's coming from.

in terms of xhaka he's looked better recently but he'll always let you down so it'll only be a matter of time. rumours are we want to strengthen CM so hopefully they're aware and putting things in place behind the scenes but first and foremost we need to sort the defence out. build the foundations from the back with a top centre half like upamecano, plus we have saliba coming in the summer. once we have the central defence sorted we can look at other areas like right back/centre mid/replacing ozil.
So basically, Xhaka was on his way out under Emery......but now has a stay of execution under Arteta and we're all cool with that?

Saliba was signed under Emery's regime and would have been available to him too. He also would have completed the clear out of some of the other shit that Arteta has been lumbered with too having already wiped millions off the wage bill

Cannon

Post by Cannon »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:33 pm
Cannon wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:30 pm
xisstential wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:19 pm
Cannon wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:05 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:46 pm
SteveO not sure how you make out we’ve gotten worse since Emery left? You already forgotten games away at Watford where we conceded 30+ chances or getting the run around at home from all the relegation fodder?

We’re a thousand miles away from where we need to be but the shit being produced from Emery certainly ain’t what we’re missing.
i agree with this.

i was really disappointed with the appointment of arteta but im happy to eat humble pie and say ive been quietly surprised at how we've fared under him so far. from conceding 20+ shots every game and never dominating any part of matches to having spells where we control games and coming away disappointed at not getting 3 points.

but the biggest thing for me is tactically we look a lot better than before. there's structure and organisation to our game, joe cole done some brilliant analysis pre-match highlighting how we set up differently on and off the ball compared to the previous regime. putting these things in place takes time, especially when there's been zero tactics in place for 10+ years. arteta isn't teaching the baby to run, he's teaching it to walk.

im excited to see what he can do with time and his own players.
His obsession with not letting Xhaka leave is a scathing indictment. I don't buy this crap about there not being anyone else. If we started every game with 10 men it would make very little difference. He is that poor, he might as well not be there.....you could even argue that there are times when we would be better off with 10 men.
yeah the one negative out of this is that xhaka looks like he's staying and it's purely down to timing. had arteta been appointed after january xhaka would be long gone. but arteta has come in and given everyone a clean slate and i can see where he's coming from.

in terms of xhaka he's looked better recently but he'll always let you down so it'll only be a matter of time. rumours are we want to strengthen CM so hopefully they're aware and putting things in place behind the scenes but first and foremost we need to sort the defence out. build the foundations from the back with a top centre half like upamecano, plus we have saliba coming in the summer. once we have the central defence sorted we can look at other areas like right back/centre mid/replacing ozil.
So basically, Xhaka was on his way out under Emery......but now has a stay of execution under Arteta and we're all cool with that?

Saliba was signed under Emery's regime and would have been available to him too. He also would have completed the clear out of some of the other shit that Arteta has been lumbered with too having already wiped millions off the wage bill
im not okay with it but that's the way it is. a new manager comes in and gives everyone a clean slate. that's standard and it would have been the same under allegri, jose or poch so you can't blame arteta for that.

in the longer run i don't think xhaka will be at the club but as mentioned, the number one priority should be the defence. it's awful.
Last edited by Cannon on Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

We had a good half an hour again but hopefully tets learned once again that an axis of luiz, kolasinac, sokratis and xhaka is not technically, fitness or disciplined enough to dominate for large parts of both halves.

He has to go to the board tonight for a DM and CB regardless of the Torreira injury.

Pepe or Martinelli are now going to get their chance - unless Eddie is still available ?

augie

Post by augie »

Have to agree with Steve O when he says that people are seeing what they want to see when boosting arteta up - I know that we have some players who are not good enough, and I know that we have a lot of players that don't have a winning mentality, but where are the improvements that some claim to be seeing ? :? Does laca look any better than he did before he arrived ? Is pepe looking any better than he did in the first 4 months of the season ? Is kolasniac any better defensively ? Is xhaka giving away less stupid free kicks ? Are we showing any more bottle and belief than we did prior to arteta's arrival ?

The reality is that we are still the same brittle, mentally weak rabble that we have seen prior to his appointment, and we have seen as much shit performances under his management as we did prior to his arrival. I had no probs with the club moving emery on, but arteta has not shown to be any improvement - some can rightly claim that it will take him time to turn it around and that I can agree with, but those who claim that the improvements are already there are deluded imo

augie

Post by augie »

The number one priority should have been to get rid of the players who didn't want to be here - wasn't that his big statement at the press conference ? He had a player that the fans hated that wanted to leave the club, and had a german club willing to pay decent money to buy him, but this arrogant cock decides to keep him and boast about it from the rooftops :roll: :oops: :oops:

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

The big miss was Torreira's injury - changed the whole dynamic of the 2nd half and Mateo was unable to fill the key role that he was carrying. Torreira was all over Zaha the first half, the midfield had no joy and Meyer was going sideways -- a shame because a 1-0 win would've done it for us but another season of no joy at SP.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

clockender1 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:38 pm
We had a good half an hour again but hopefully tets learned once again that an axis of luiz, kolasinac, sokratis and xhaka is not technically, fitness or disciplined enough to dominate for large parts of both halves.

He has to go to the board tonight for a DM and CB regardless of the Torreira injury.

Pepe or Martinelli are now going to get their chance - unless Eddie is still available ?
Once again???.....how long is it going to take him......we all know it, so should he. This is absurd... Xhaka is that much of a liability that if we had 5 or 6 better players, a world class manager could set the team up from the off to beat half the teams in the PL with 10 men. He is not just a passenger, a lot of the time he is a liability..... but Arteta has decided to cling on to him and expect us to laud him for it :banghead: :banghead:
Last edited by xisstential on Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:42 pm
The number one priority should have been to get rid of the players who didn't want to be here - wasn't that his big statement at the press conference ? He had a player that the fans hated that wanted to leave the club, and had a german club willing to pay decent money to buy him, but this arrogant cock decides to keep him and boast about it from the rooftops :roll: :oops: :oops:
....and in this day and age when he would have watched Xhaka hundreds of times. Unforgiveable if he stays and he will

People were getting angry that Dick was considering recalling him temporarily for the first team. Now people seem to think its fine Arteta gives a clean slate to a bloke he must have (should have) watched dozens of times and already known about it

Ziegler1988

Post by Ziegler1988 »

12 points away from safety :barscarf:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Craig Pawson failed to send Jorginho off for a second yellow when Arsenal played Chelsea. As a punishment, he was made fourth official for his next game. Now he’s overturned Aubameyang’s yellow to a red. #CRYARS https://t.co/12oFGEZ2YP

markyp

Post by markyp »

Seriously the negativeity around this place just proves that most of you are just a bunch of moaning old women,youd moan if you were given a million quid! No improvement? You having a laugh? Can you not see what Arteta has done in a short space of time? today was admittedly a below par performance but ffs we played with 10 men away and came away with a point in awful conditions,are you honestly expecting us to be playing like liverpool right now? if you cant see that the defence is more organised or we arent giving the opposition anytime on the ball then I give up, for me considering what arteta is working with the only thing that's not quite clicking is the front 3 otherwise for a team made up of useless knuts artetas doing wonders for just 5 games .I for one didnt want him anywhere near our club but even I can see a massive improvement and give him a couple of windows and we will be challenging again.in the mean time I suggest most of you lot go and find another sport to follow as it seems you've just given up lock stock and barrel on arsenal and cant be happy EVER!

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

markyp wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:23 pm
Seriously the negativeity around this place just proves that most of you are just a bunch of moaning old women,youd moan if you were given a million quid! No improvement? You having a laugh? Can you not see what Arteta has done in a short space of time? today was admittedly a below par performance but ffs we played with 10 men away and came away with a point in awful conditions,are you honestly expecting us to be playing like liverpool right now? if you cant see that the defence is more organised or we arent giving the opposition anytime on the ball then I give up, for me considering what arteta is working with the only thing that's not quite clicking is the front 3 otherwise for a team made up of useless knuts artetas doing wonders for just 5 games .I for one didnt want him anywhere near our club but even I can see a massive improvement and give him a couple of windows and we will be challenging again.in the mean time I suggest most of you lot go and find another sport to follow as it seems you've just given up lock stock and barrel on arsenal and cant be happy EVER!
For what?? I think it will be 2 seasons until we are challenging just for Top 4. Is that really what we have become....to get back to where Wenger left us??? We are not "challenging again" for anything worthwhile, whilst the Kroenke's own the club.

AND, let us not forget, United and Chelsea, nor the tots are very good atm, yet all above us. We have got a marathon ahead of us...…. just to get to Top 4. And as for us in the CL.....doesn't bear thinking about :oops: :oops: :oops:

Ernie71

Post by Ernie71 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:22 pm
Craig Pawson failed to send Jorginho off for a second yellow when Arsenal played Chelsea. As a punishment, he was made fourth official for his next game. Now he’s overturned Aubameyang’s yellow to a red. #CRYARS https://t.co/12oFGEZ2YP
Anyone who doesnt think Aubameyang's tackle was a red card needs a guide dog

Cannon

Post by Cannon »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:54 pm
augie wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:42 pm
Now people seem to think its fine Arteta gives a clean slate to a bloke he must have (should have) watched dozens of times and already known about it
can you not read or should i repeat myself a third time? i don't think anyone is okay with xhaka being given another chance but that's how it works under a new manager.

what do you want us to do? protest and get banners out and totally disrupt the mood under the new manager?

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

Ernie71 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:39 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:22 pm
Anyone who doesnt think Aubameyang's tackle was a red card needs a guide dog
Agreed. He meant no harm, the ball was away when he went in and it was stud-ankle contact. Still a red.