Palace (A) PL 11/01 @ 12:30

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
sk-gtfo

Re: Palace (A) PL 11/01 @ 12:30

Post by sk-gtfo »

augie

Post by augie »

markyp wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:52 pm
augie wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:21 pm
markyp wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:23 pm
Seriously the negativeity around this place just proves that most of you are just a bunch of moaning old women,youd moan if you were given a million quid! No improvement? You having a laugh? Can you not see what Arteta has done in a short space of time? today was admittedly a below par performance but ffs we played with 10 men away and came away with a point in awful conditions,are you honestly expecting us to be playing like liverpool right now? if you cant see that the defence is more organised or we arent giving the opposition anytime on the ball then I give up, for me considering what arteta is working with the only thing that's not quite clicking is the front 3 otherwise for a team made up of useless knuts artetas doing wonders for just 5 games .I for one didnt want him anywhere near our club but even I can see a massive improvement and give him a couple of windows and we will be challenging again.in the mean time I suggest most of you lot go and find another sport to follow as it seems you've just given up lock stock and barrel on arsenal and cant be happy EVER!

Today was below par. Last Monday night was a disgrace. The second have against the chavs was poor. The entire game against a Bournemouth team that had lost 8 in 9 was dire. Tell me again where the improvement is :? I think even you will admit that the fixture list arteta has had since joining has been generous, and that makes the run of results look worse imo

We arent giving the opposition any time on the ball ?? I think you mean that Torreira isn't giving the opposition any time on the ball, cpos the rest of the c.unts haven't improved one jot in that regard
Palace had 3 shots,not an improvement? Ok then augie what are you expecting right now from this team bearing in mind how dog shit we were up until about 3 weeks ago,go on tell me what you expect?

I love the way people like you come up with stats like that, but totally ignore stats like how many a championship team had against us last Monday night :roll:

Anyway to answer your question, I am expecting a manager to come in and start a rebuild that will take time. I want players who have heart, but I also want the team to be built around players who want to be here - playing a guy that has told the fans to fcuk off, and has told the manager that he doesn't want to be in the club, completely flies in the face of that imo.

If you flick back through my earlier posts you will see that I already acknowledged that this rebuild is gonna take time - what my last few posts have been about, is questioning those that claim that we have made big improvements under arteta, when the reality is that we haven't. We cant just make bold statements about improvements just cos we want it to be true, when the evidence suggests that the old failings are still very evident

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:09 pm
markyp wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:52 pm
augie wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:21 pm
markyp wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:23 pm
Seriously the negativeity around this place just proves that most of you are just a bunch of moaning old women,youd moan if you were given a million quid! No improvement? You having a laugh? Can you not see what Arteta has done in a short space of time? today was admittedly a below par performance but ffs we played with 10 men away and came away with a point in awful conditions,are you honestly expecting us to be playing like liverpool right now? if you cant see that the defence is more organised or we arent giving the opposition anytime on the ball then I give up, for me considering what arteta is working with the only thing that's not quite clicking is the front 3 otherwise for a team made up of useless knuts artetas doing wonders for just 5 games .I for one didnt want him anywhere near our club but even I can see a massive improvement and give him a couple of windows and we will be challenging again.in the mean time I suggest most of you lot go and find another sport to follow as it seems you've just given up lock stock and barrel on arsenal and cant be happy EVER!

Today was below par. Last Monday night was a disgrace. The second have against the chavs was poor. The entire game against a Bournemouth team that had lost 8 in 9 was dire. Tell me again where the improvement is :? I think even you will admit that the fixture list arteta has had since joining has been generous, and that makes the run of results look worse imo

We arent giving the opposition any time on the ball ?? I think you mean that Torreira isn't giving the opposition any time on the ball, cpos the rest of the c.unts haven't improved one jot in that regard
Palace had 3 shots,not an improvement? Ok then augie what are you expecting right now from this team bearing in mind how dog shit we were up until about 3 weeks ago,go on tell me what you expect?

I love the way people like you come up with stats like that, but totally ignore stats like how many a championship team had against us last Monday night :roll:

Anyway to answer your question, I am expecting a manager to come in and start a rebuild that will take time. I want players who have heart, but I also want the team to be built around players who want to be here - playing a guy that has told the fans to fcuk off, and has told the manager that he doesn't want to be in the club, completely flies in the face of that imo.

If you flick back through my earlier posts you will see that I already acknowledged that this rebuild is gonna take time - what my last few posts have been about, is questioning those that claim that we have made big improvements under arteta, when the reality is that we haven't. We cant just make bold statements about improvements just cos we want it to be true, when the evidence suggests that the old failings are still very evident
Absolutely correct mate. Love the Palace stat - that will be the same Crystal Palace team that barring Watford have scored fewer goals than everyone else.

There has been no improvement. Seems to me like the people that were desperate to get shot of Emery, are even more desperate to clutch at straws to justify that decision

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Cannon wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:37 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:25 pm
Cannon wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:14 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:54 pm
augie wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:42 pm
The number one priority should have been to get rid of the players who didn't want to be here - wasn't that his big statement at the press conference ? He had a player that the fans hated that wanted to leave the club, and had a german club willing to pay decent money to buy him, but this arrogant cock decides to keep him and boast about it from the rooftops :roll: :oops: :oops:
Now people seem to think its fine Arteta gives a clean slate to a bloke he must have (should have) watched dozens of times and already known about it
can you not read or should i repeat myself a third time? i don't think anyone is okay with xhaka being given another chance but that's how it works under a new manager.

what do you want us to do? protest and get banners out and totally disrupt the mood under the new manager?
Calm down Shirley/ Its not the 1950s. Video footage and endless statistics exist for every minute of every game Xhaka has played for us. Supposedly these super coaches turn up with a dossier on every single player. The days of a clean slate was when you couldn't judge a player because you hadn't watched him....or is Arteta arrogant enough to think he's the man who can turn that lumbering, dollop of shit into something special? If he does, then he's even more out of his depth than I thought to start with. There are managers out there who would be brave enough, confident enough and experienced enough to bomb the c.unt out of the door in this transfer window. Clean slate my arse
you're not being realistic. if you're expecting arteta to come in and disrupt the squad by dropping players before even giving them a chance then you're being irrational. klopp gave the likes of mignolet and karius a plethora of opportunities before they got the chop, pep did the same with demichelis, that's what happens under a new manager. arteta is giving xhaka a chance and it wouldn't be any different if allegri or ancelotti had come in.
You are not making sense. Here is a guy that has flipped the club and the fans off, who has stated that he wants to leave, an offer is on the table......and our new manager wants "to give him a chance" Ok...he's still crap, now what???

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Cannon wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:41 pm
augie wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:26 pm
Cannon wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
augie wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:42 pm
The number one priority should have been to get rid of the players who didn't want to be here - wasn't that his big statement at the press conference ? He had a player that the fans hated that wanted to leave the club, and had a german club willing to pay decent money to buy him, but this arrogant cock decides to keep him and boast about it from the rooftops :roll: :oops: :oops:
Now people seem to think its fine Arteta gives a clean slate to a bloke he must have (should have) watched dozens of times and already known about it
can you not read or should i repeat myself a third time? i don't think anyone is okay with xhaka being given another chance but that's how it works under a new manager.

what do you want us to do? protest and get banners out and totally disrupt the mood under the new manager?

Let me point out AGAIN, arteta said at his unveiling as manager that any player who didn't want to be in the club would not be kept - within 2 weeks xhaka went to arteta and told him that he wants to leave, and not alone did he refuse to sell him, but he has made him one of his main players in the team :roll: When you talk big and tough and then don't display the bollox to back it up, it makes you look like a total spineless c.unt .
it depends what you believe really. i also read that arteta told xhaka to his face that he wants him to stay and sees him as a key player but is planning to replace him behind his back. over the past week we've been linked with a few CM's and journo's have come out and said we are thinking about buying a CM so arteta could well be planning to strengthen that area.
What?!?!? There is an offer on the table.....why would you ask him to stay, then sell him "behind his back"?? Anyway in this day and age of Social Media and instant, rolling news, it's not even possible.

Cannon

Post by Cannon »

augie wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:59 pm
Cannon wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:46 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:39 pm
Cannon wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Calm down Shirley/ Its not the 1950s. Video footage and endless statistics exist for every minute of every game Xhaka has played for us. Supposedly these super coaches turn up with a dossier on every single player. The days of a clean slate was when you couldn't judge a player because you hadn't watched him....or is Arteta arrogant enough to think he's the man who can turn that lumbering, dollop of shit into something special? If he does, then he's even more out of his depth than I thought to start with. There are managers out there who would be brave enough, confident enough and experienced enough to bomb the c.unt out of the door in this transfer window. Clean slate my arse
you're not being realistic. if you're expecting arteta to come in and disrupt the squad by dropping players before even giving them a chance then you're being irrational. klopp gave the likes of mignolet and karius a plethora of opportunities before they got the chop, pep did the same with demichelis, that's what happens under a new manager. arteta is giving xhaka a chance and it wouldn't be any different if allegri or ancelotti had come in.
How comes Ancelotti got shot of Cenk Tosun within a week then?
that's a completely different situation. tosun was sold because he's well down the pecking order and surplus to requirements as everton have 3 other strikers ahead of him.

Prior to today, tosun has been in their matchday squad in 6 of their last 7 games - hardly well down the pecking order wouldn't you agree ? :rubchin:
how many minutes did he play? lol

he couldn't even get in the match day squad for a cup game against liverpool's kids last week.

Cannon

Post by Cannon »

xisstential wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:30 pm
Cannon wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
Cannon wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Here is a guy that has flipped the club and the fans off, who has stated that he wants to leave, an offer is on the table......and our new manager wants "to give him a chance"
under the previous manager.

a new manager came in and gave him a clean slate.

that's the norm.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Seriously think some of you need to take a step back and look at the whole situation the club is in.

Comparing Emery to Arteta is laughable, the manager with a wealth of experience couldn't get this team to stop chasing the ball like a bunch of school kids, couldn't stop them having hissy fits at being subbed, couldn't get a cohesive performance out the players, couldn't get them to prevent teams in 4 games in a row having 20+ plus attempts on our goal but you're saying the novice Arteta should somehow be doing much better.... you're having a laugh, its embarrassing :roll:

Arteta is where we're at as a club, as pointed out by someone above, Kroenke and his yes men have complete control of the club and this is exactly the sort of person they want in charge, young, easy to manipulate and control but with a unjustifiable but total belief in what he thinks he is capable of.

I said time and time again there was no point getting rid of Wenger whilst the parasite at the top was left alone, well as fans we reap what we sew, not only is Wiggy still here but he has complete control since Usmanov sold up and the appointment of Arteta, the retaining of Xhaka so we dont need to spend money on a suitable replacement, cheap trolley dash buys like Luiz rather than quality, long term buying plans like for Saliba, where we lose a year of his contract on loan to the owning club, well..... you all better get used to it because this is exactly the type of club 'The Arsenal' is nowadays.

Today's performance in reality was no worse than many away from home in the last 4 or 5 years, it might even be argued that it was slightly better, after all we didnt lose, but for people to expect massive improvement after 6 games with the same bunch of wankers in our strip being run by a total novice manager is short sighted and naive, if not downright wishful thinking.......we slated Luiz, Xhaka, Sokratis, Ozil, Kolasinac, AMN, amongst others when they were playing for Emery, most of them under Wenger too, these are the exact same players we said weren't fit to wear the shirt then, why expect them to do it now under Arteta?

Some on here are expecting miracles and then using it as an excuse to say the previous manager shouldnt have been sacked, c'mon he was woeful at the end and even if arguably he wasn't the main problem he was not able to turn thing around and improve things and had to go. Arteta is not the solution to our problems but retaining Emery wasn't either.

Cannon

Post by Cannon »

xisstential wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:34 pm
Cannon wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:41 pm
augie wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:26 pm
Cannon wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Let me point out AGAIN, arteta said at his unveiling as manager that any player who didn't want to be in the club would not be kept - within 2 weeks xhaka went to arteta and told him that he wants to leave, and not alone did he refuse to sell him, but he has made him one of his main players in the team :roll: When you talk big and tough and then don't display the bollox to back it up, it makes you look like a total spineless c.unt .
it depends what you believe really. i also read that arteta told xhaka to his face that he wants him to stay and sees him as a key player but is planning to replace him behind his back. over the past week we've been linked with a few CM's and journo's have come out and said we are thinking about buying a CM so arteta could well be planning to strengthen that area.
What?!?!? There is an offer on the table.....why would you ask him to stay, then sell him "behind his back"?? Anyway in this day and age of Social Media and instant, rolling news, it's not even possible.
i don't know, you'll have to ask arteta that. im just pointing out what a few journo's have said. the fact we've been linked with a few CM's this past week tells me there may be some truth in it.

the window has only just opened. who is to say xhaka will be here by the end of it.

Cannon

Post by Cannon »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:42 pm
Seriously think some of you need to take a step back and look at the whole situation the club is in.

Comparing Emery to Arteta is laughable, the manager with a wealth of experience couldn't get this team to stop chasing the ball like a bunch of school kids, couldn't stop them having hissy fits at being subbed, couldn't get a cohesive performance out the players, couldn't get them to prevent teams in 4 games in a row having 20+ plus attempts on our goal but you're saying the novice Arteta should somehow be doing much better.... you're having a laugh, its embarrassing :roll:

Arteta is where we're at as a club, as pointed out by someone above, Kroenke and his yes men have complete control of the club and this is exactly the sort of person they want in charge, young, easy to manipulate and control but with a unjustifiable but total belief in what he thinks he is capable of.

I said time and time again there was no point getting rid of Wenger whilst the parasite at the top was left alone, well as fans we reap what we sew, not only is Wiggy still here but he has complete control since Usmanov sold up and the appointment of Arteta, the retaining of Xhaka so we dont need to spend money on a suitable replacement, cheap trolley dash buys like Luiz rather than quality, long term buying plans like for Saliba, where we lose a year of his contract on loan to the owning club, well..... you all better get used to it because this is exactly the type of club 'The Arsenal' is nowadays.

Today's performance in reality was no worse than many away from home in the last 4 or 5 years, it might even be argued that it was slightly better, after all we didnt lose, but for people to expect massive improvement after 6 games with the same bunch of wankers in our strip being run by a total novice manager is short sighted and naive, if not downright wishful thinking.......we slated Luiz, Xhaka, Sokratis, Ozil, Kolasinac, AMN, amongst others when they were playing for Emery, most of them under Wenger too, these are the exact same players we said weren't fit to wear the shirt then, why expect them to do it now under Arteta?

Some on here are expecting miracles and then using it as an excuse to say the previous manager shouldnt have been sacked, c'mon he was woeful at the end and even if arguably he wasn't the main problem he was not able to turn thing around and improve things and had to go. Arteta is not the solution to our problems but retaining Emery wasn't either.
yeah good post.

im seeing more structure, players pressing together, more committed, hustling in packs.

i think most that are being negative are so because of pre-conceived ideas about arteta and the fact they just didn't want a complete novice in charge.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Two things that have been blindingly obvious for a while and will continue for the rest of the season at least stopped us winning that game:

1. This is a way of playing which requires exceptional fitness. The pattern of us playing well for 55-70 minutes and then falling off a cliff is going to continue.

2. If Torreira doesn’t play, we are going to really struggle.

augie

Post by augie »

Cannon wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:39 pm
xisstential wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:30 pm
Cannon wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
Cannon wrote:

Here is a guy that has flipped the club and the fans off, who has stated that he wants to leave, an offer is on the table......and our new manager wants "to give him a chance"
under the previous manager.

a new manager came in and gave him a clean slate.

that's the norm.

See this is where fans like you end up tripping themselves up - you claim that it is understandable that arteta gives xhaka a new chance cos all that shit happened under a previous manager, yet you are justifying everton for selling tosun cos he wasn't a starter for them, even though that too was under a previous manager :roll:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:42 pm

I don't disagree about Wiggy and I've said for years that him becoming majority shareholder was the start of the death of this club, and I maintain that he will get us relegated within the next few seasons.....possibly within the next year or two

So, if Arteta can't be expected to do any better why bother making the change? If it doesn't matter who the manager is under Wiggy why bother with the change?

Nobody was expecting miracles under Arteta. However, I'm not going to have people talking about a supposed huge improvement since he was appointed because for all but 30 minutes of the Chavs game, most of the United game and the second half against Leeds, the football has been sterile and boring and I can't see any improvement.

The fact remains that our points per game, goals per game, goal difference and league position have all worsened since he left. That isn't all down to Arteta and nor do I have a massive issue with Freddie.....it just proves to me that Emery wasn't the main issue at the club and not half as bad as he was made to be by many on here. He was in the middle of a bad run - it happens to the best of them - and we decided that the best remedy for a team languishing in mid table with limited transfer funds and a decade of carrying a loser's mentality was to appoint a bloke with zero managerial experience

Nothing would give any of us greater pleasure than having the words rammed down our throats if he goes on to do great things, but i'm more convinced than ever that it is a disasterous appointment. If we couldn't afford/attract Allegri, then as i said at the time we should have got a manager with a proven track record of instilling discipline and working miracles with little or no funds e.g. Dyche or Wilder

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Off the topic of the manager for a minute but the way we have been treated by referees this season has been nothing short of disgraceful.

The fact that it’s happening game after game shows there’s a clear agenda there and it’s not down to sheer incompetence. In our last 3 games against the chavs, United and today the opposition have been allowed to constantly foul with no punishment while every infringement we make results in an immediate yellow.

I was thinking is this a legacy of when Wenger would spend 90 minutes berating the officials up and down the country flapping his arms it is it more of a deep rooted dislike of the club?

No player has committed 5 fouls and not been booked in the league this season. Ayew committed 7 today and went unpunished. Maitland Niles saw yellow for his first foul today, a nothing incident on the touchline.

The Jorginho incident against the chavs which farcically saw our player booked rather than theirs sent off and even in the United game they constantly fouled us with impunity.

It’s a fucking disgrace and it’s about time it was pointed out.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Arteta said we totally switched off for the goal - which is completely unacceptable, and he's very unhappy about.

He is spot on. These are professionals who should be 100% focused, and 100% comitted.

Im encouraged that he can at least see our problems and is prepared to state them publicly.