Sheffield United|Home|PL|Saturday 18th January|3pm KO

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

Re: Sheffield United|Home|PL|Saturday 18th January|3pm KO

Post by SteveO 35 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:10 am
One of the fittest, best organised teams in the league. Fantastic work rate and attitude but also zip the ball around at a high pace - been very impressed every time I've seen them. Of course it helps having hundreds of millions to spend and a trendy manager from Portugal to achieve it...... :banghead:

The huge improvement set to continue as we draw 1-1 again
Well that was hard to predict wasn't it?

Loving the massive improvement!

90 minutes of tedious, sterile shit to rival anything that the previous three managers dished up - worse in fact. A trip to the dentist was more pleasurable than this. I wonder if the super coach can get us to string more than 3 passes together any time soon

What a desperate situation. No doubt we'll conjure up a deadline day loan signing cast off that nobody else wants.

Clash

Post by Clash »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:06 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
One of the fittest, best organised teams in the league. Fantastic work rate and attitude but also zip the ball around at a high pace - been very impressed every time I've seen them. Of course it helps having hundreds of millions to spend and a trendy manager from Portugal to achieve it...... :banghead:

90 minutes of tedious, sterile shit to rival anything that the previous three managers dished up - worse in fact. A trip to the dentist was more pleasurable than this. I wonder if the super coach can get us to string more than 3 passes together any time soon

What a desperate situation. No doubt we'll conjure up a deadline day loan signing cast off that nobody else wants.
Pretty much spot on Steve. Sheff Utd were not as good as they have been in other games though and if they had been they probably would have won yesterday.

I opted out of going to the games against Chelsea and Man United (watched them on TV instead) and was told by someone who was there how good the atmosphere was and how the players responded etc. Well it wasn't like that yesterday - it was back to the slow turgid sideways shite that I cannot stand. All played out against the backdrop of a bored crowd who were feeling the cold because the game was so bad.

The players we have are just not suited to play a high-tempo pressing game on a consistent basis so its gonna take a lot of time and clever work in the market to change that.

:yawn:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Clash wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:12 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:06 am
SteveO 35 wrote:

Pretty much spot on Steve. Sheff Utd were not as good as they have been in other games though and if they had been they probably would have won yesterday.

I opted out of going to the games against Chelsea and Man United (watched them on TV instead) and was told by someone who was there how good the atmosphere was and how the players responded etc. Well it wasn't like that yesterday - it was back to the slow turgid sideways shite that I cannot stand. All played out against the backdrop of a bored crowd who were feeling the cold because the game was so bad.

The players we have are just not suited to play a high-tempo pressing game on a consistent basis so its gonna take a lot of time and clever work in the market to change that.

:yawn:
Agreed mate - I didn't think Sheffield United were at the races until the last 20 minutes and would have won if that effort had been shown earlier. Its come to the stage now where a below par Sheffield United only need turn up for 20 minutes and they can nick a point off of us. The league table doesn't lie at this stage of the season - we're where we deserve to be, but unlike some of those around us we are going backwards as they get stronger. Relegation this season is probably wide of the mark but the same manager and broadly the same players next season and we'll be in the lower half for the entire season

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

It should of been a pen on Pepe,but Mike Dean in his 500th game :censored: was never going to have that call rightly overturned VAR is selective and yet again we have been done over.

The only VAR calls IIRC in this dogshit season go clearly for us was Auba being a foot onside and getting given as a goal against Utd,comical decision from the linesman.The retaken pen v felllow strugglers Norwich also.

Well yesterday was frankly awful neither GK had much to do much like against Palace,tightening up at the back but our play going forward is sterile Lacazette has been awful this season his hold up and link play has seen so many moves break down,Ozil no goals or assists in the league this season his selection,weight of pass yesterday when he should of played Martinelli in twice yesterday wasteful.

I don't think I know we are in for a really couple of hard seasons,we played a team yesterday who are that play for each other and fight all the way and actually play some decent football,we are a reflection of our owners,bang average.

This season other than Martinelli and to a lesser extent Saka who has played well out of position,the team just looks full of overpaid,average players I have left Auba out he has done his job,he will be off in the summer and I can't blame him.

The club is a mess but I hope we keep going with young players than some of the signings we are linked with.....that has what it has come down to a couple of teenagers and a good prospect in Saliba coming in.

Oxfordroad80s

Post by Oxfordroad80s »

Were shit, the clubs fucked...

End of :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Oxfordroad80s wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:53 pm

You seem like you're "Happy" about it. ???

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:28 pm
Oxfordroad80s wrote:

Have my suspicions about this one too OB :roll:

herbert

Post by herbert »

rodders999 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:40 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Oxfordroad80s wrote:

With that username at a guess I would say he his a 50 to 60 yr old gunner who has a soft spot for Kenny Jackett and fond memorys of being in Manchester in the 80s :D

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Now the team is more organised and we are conceding less shots on goal, Leno's is showing his vulnerability as an average goalkeeper. Surely he is at fault for conceding that goal in an Almunia like fashion. He has saved load when the team was conceding loads of shots but now that issue appears to have been resolved, Leno is still making mistakes in conceding goals. This was an issue that went unnoticed when he's conceded 1 or 2 goals after facing 20 plus shots. He's still conceding goals even though he's facing considerably less shots.
Not losing is a good habit to form. The attacking side of the game will be impacted whilst we get the defensive side of our game right. We've said it for years that a league winning team builds it's foundation in a strong defence. Arteta has started that process so lets be thankful for that. The very thing Wenger lost sight of and emery didn't bother with.

Cannon

Post by Cannon »

Nos89 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:59 pm
Now the team is more organised and we are conceding less shots on goal, Leno's is showing his vulnerability as an average goalkeeper. Surely he is at fault for conceding that goal in an Almunia like fashion. He has saved load when the team was conceding loads of shots but now that issue appears to have been resolved, Leno is still making mistakes in conceding goals. This was an issue that went unnoticed when he's conceded 1 or 2 goals after facing 20 plus shots. He's still conceding goals even though he's facing considerably less shots.
Not losing is a good habit to form. The attacking side of the game will be impacted whilst we get the defensive side of our game right. We've said it for years that a league winning team builds it's foundation in a strong defence. Arteta has started that process so lets be thankful for that. The very thing Wenger lost sight of and emery didn't bother with.
i have the same concerns about leno. when he first arrived i was excited but he's turned out to be average. he has brain fart moments and that instils doubt in our defence, which is the last thing we need. he's certainly not in the bracket of what liverpool and city have, i mean how much better than martinez is he? they're about the same id say.

also agree about us improving defensively, i was watching our back line when sheffield united had the ball yesterday and it was refreshing to see a straight bank of 4. it's been a long time since ive seen that so they're definitely working on that in training. one thing that frustrates me though is our defenders don't engage enough... for their goal, luiz had an opportunity to engage with their player to prevent the cross but he didn't, he backed off. and we've done that numerous times this season which has led to opposition goals.

in general our defenders back off too much. hopefully that gets fixed soon.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
Oxfordroad80s wrote:

He's being watched. :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:22 am
rodders999 wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
Oxfordroad80s wrote:

I've got the shovels and the bag of lime ready DB!. Just say the word. :D

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:59 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
Oxfordroad80s wrote:

I've taken Friday off work - hand me a shovel :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
Oxfordroad80s wrote:

:lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:30 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

I've taken Friday off work - hand me a shovel :lol:
:lol: