Forming a breakway club?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Perryashburtongroves

Re: Forming a breakway club?

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

It looks a decent idea in principle but trying to attract Arsenal fans to a team in Addlestone in Surrey, with a stated aim of moving again later on to the other side of London is hardly going to spark the fires of interest in Arsenal fans living in north London, Hertfordshire or Essex is it? The whole things smacks of a plan hatched in the pub on a Friday night. Surely, they could have found a place to play in Hertfordshire. I can't see anyone really bothering with this and I can't see how it can be called a break away club when it's based miles away from Arsenal areas. AFC Wimbledon worked because their fans had no club left and FC United of Manchester worked because it was based in the Manchester area and could attract people who didn't want to go to Old Trafford. This Dial Square nonsense is just that, nonsense.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Self indulgent bollocks.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Yeah, its complete w a n k.

Are you telling me that there wasn't one single non league team in North, West or South London who would rent out their ground every other saturday ???

The gofundme is also stupid too - sell shares or at least advance season tickets to the fans to raise the start up cash. Then do all the usual fundraisers - 50/50, shirt sales website etc. etc. Look at Jersey Bulls FC - they are killing it in their first season in the lowest tier of football.

Herd

Post by Herd »

It sounds like a con ,a piss poor one at that.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:09 pm
Self indulgent bollocks.
That could be their motto. What is the Latin translation? :lol:

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:44 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Self indulgent bollocks.
Veni,vidi,bollocki

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

robbo10 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:49 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:44 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Self indulgent bollocks.
Veni,vidi,bollocki
Very good. Although maybe factually closer is

nemo venit, vidit nullus est bollocks

(nobody came, nobody saw, cos it was all a load of old bollox) :lol:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Can't say I blame them? Easy to knock it as self indulgent but they wouldn't be the only ones who think the club has totally lost its soul and identity with this wig wearing c.unt at the helm.....and he NEVER sells his franchises too so we are stuck with him until he dies.....at which point it will be handed to Josh anyway.

Dial Square FC - why not?

Herd

Post by Herd »

Arsenals history may have started from sarf London but we are and have been an Islington Club for 100 years !
Th Vast majority of attending fans come from or have close links to the surrounding 3-5 miles.
Any Breakaway club would need to be very close and there simply aren't any places available until you reach Barnet which s too far !
I have no idea even were Addlestone is but if I want to watch crap football I can still go to the Emirates ,no need to travel to Surrey !

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Herd wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:00 pm
Arsenals history may have started from sarf London but we are and have been an Islington Club for 100 years !
Th Vast majority of attending fans come from or have close links to the surrounding 3-5 miles.
Any Breakaway club would need to be very close and there simply aren't any places available until you reach Barnet which s too far !
I have no idea even were Addlestone is but if I want to watch crap football I can still go to the Emirates ,no need to travel to Surrey !
They could groundshare with wingate and finchley, until they can afford their own ground.

It has a 1590 capacity and its own art deco stand:

Either that or dulwich.

Herd

Post by Herd »

clockender1 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:31 pm
Herd wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:00 pm
They could groundshare with wingate and finchley, until they can afford their own ground.

It has a 1590 capacity and its own art deco stand:

Either that or dulwich.
Wow I had no idea this place even existed and yet its 2 miles down the road ,I had to look it up ,weirdorama !

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Btw any new club name would have to be impregnable to the plc's lawyers otherwise a simple cease and desist case could bankrupt any fledgling club. So any former name, or gunners, cannon combos etc would be non starter imho.

I think the best bet would be geographically based,

Highbury Fields FC ?

Avenell Gillespie FC ?

EIE FC ? :lol:

Finsbury Park & Highbury, FC ?

St Thomas' Old Boys FC ?

Avenell Road Supporters Enjoying New Alternative Leadership FC

:barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

clockender1 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:01 pm
Btw any new club name would have to be impregnable to the plc's lawyers otherwise a simple cease and desist case could bankrupt any fledgling club. So any former name, or gunners, cannon combos etc would be non starter imho.

I think the best bet would be geographically based,

Highbury Fields FC ?

Avenell Gillespie FC ?

EIE FC ? :lol:

Finsbury Park & Highbury, FC ?

St Thomas' Old Boys FC ?

Avenell Road Supporters Enjoying New Alternative Leadership FC

:barscarf:
:lol:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Still self indulgent bollocks.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Redarmy wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:10 am
StuartL wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:13 pm
Redarmy wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:04 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu May 29, 2014 12:54 pm
TheCook wrote:Progress is progress ; new ground, location, badge, motto etc ; get over it, it's the way the world works.

'But they are selling a Nike shirt for £100!'

No they ain't.

Never let facts get in the way of getting another dig in against the club.

This thread is a load of bollocks.
Tbh I've never gotten over losing the iconic crest with proper cannon and gothic font and motto and probably never will. The fact they replaced it with some marketing arsehole's simplified cartoon just makes it worse for me.

BUT;

It's still Arsenal. And I support Arsenal. Not Arsenal-Lite or Kind-of-Arsenal or some breakaway club by a few disgruntled fans. Fuck that. My associaton is as much about our history and our tradition as it is about the team or club that I watch now, it's the whole, not just elements of it.

Arsenal for life. 8)
Thats the spirit DB

I miss Quartz. :cry:
Are you too shy to tell him yourself :wink: :wink: :wink:

Hush, hush eye to eye