THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
GoonerMuzz

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by GoonerMuzz »

He's coming home, he's coming home, Wenger's coming home :barscarf: :barscarf:

Excuse while i go throw up :puke:

Yet again more smoke and mirrors from the club, tempt him back to be the devisive figure again thereby removing much of the fans growing ire towards the board and owners, they really are a canny bunch of *word censored*!!! :rubchin:
Last edited by GoonerMuzz on Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

For those of us that have almost given up entirely, this would be the final decision needed to ensure that we'll drop the word 'almost'

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:10 pm
He's coming home, he's coming home, Wenger's coming home :barscarf: :barscarf:

Excuse while i go throw up :puke:

Yet again more smoke and mirrors from the club, tempt him back to be the devisive figure again thereby removing much of the fans growing ire towards the board and owners, they really are a canny bunch of *word censored*!!! :rubchin:

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:35 pm
For those of us that have almost given up entirely, this would be the final decision needed to ensure that we'll drop the word 'almost'

Be careful Steve O - you can be labelled on here for such insubordination :shock:

Midz

Post by Midz »

augie wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:06 am
mcdowell42 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:00 pm
The Mirror claim the #Arsenal hierarchy are keen to welcome Arsene Wenger back to the Emirates & it is understood senior figures at the club have been making inroads to talk him into it. https://t.co/DIgFdEjG6E

This link is even better

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/footb ... l-21446892

The board want to bring him back in a bid to unite the fanbase :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit:

Please NO!

Midz

Post by Midz »

augie wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:06 am
mcdowell42 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:00 pm
The Mirror claim the #Arsenal hierarchy are keen to welcome Arsene Wenger back to the Emirates & it is understood senior figures at the club have been making inroads to talk him into it. https://t.co/DIgFdEjG6E

This link is even better

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/footb ... l-21446892

The board want to bring him back in a bid to unite the fanbase :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit:

Please NO!

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:07 am
xisstential wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:15 am
As much as we fought to get rid of him in the 2 years prior to him going, in some perverse way I wanted him there for the final year of his contract as I knew the chickens were coming home to roost and the roof was going to fall in on him. If you remember he won one away game in his last season, the final one at Huddersfield, we lost all the others. His last season would hav :wink: e been hellish and he would have had nowhere to hide. Instead he slunk off on full pay & left Emery with all the dross that he bought and the toxic culture he created. Spin, spin, spin and win, win, win for our Arsene

Got the job because he played charades well in his second language and impressed Dein & his wife :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Hmm just a little over the top there mate. :wink:

He got the job because he was an inspirational man that had vision and a plan and that plan won us two doubles and an unbeaten season playing the best football ever seen in the English fame.

Of course what he became was something very different and I think most honest right thinking people could agree on that. But let's not go totally revisionist here people.... :wink:
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/26680514

That chance meeting at Highbury and that game of charades was what made the initial impression. Of course Dein is blowing his own "visionary" trumpet in a backhand way as well.

Success is all about how you handle it....Wenger's initial success led to his greatest failure, the inability to take advice, reinvent himself or admit when he made a mistake. If he had left 10 years earlier his legacy would have been firmly intact and he would probably be managing somewhere. Instead his toxic "marriage" to AFC has led to this ghastly mess we are in.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

I'd rather have Smallpox and Polio make a comeback than that cûnt make any form of return.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

xisstential wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:45 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:07 am
xisstential wrote:
As much as we fought to get rid of him in the 2 years prior to him going, in some perverse way I wanted him there for the final year of his contract as I knew the chickens were coming home to roost and the roof was going to fall in on him. If you remember he won one away game in his last season, the final one at Huddersfield, we lost all the others. His last season would hav :wink: e been hellish and he would have had nowhere to hide. Instead he slunk off on full pay & left Emery with all the dross that he bought and the toxic culture he created. Spin, spin, spin and win, win, win for our Arsene

Got the job because he played charades well in his second language and impressed Dein & his wife :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Hmm just a little over the top there mate. :wink:

He got the job because he was an inspirational man that had vision and a plan and that plan won us two doubles and an unbeaten season playing the best football ever seen in the English fame.

Of course what he became was something very different and I think most honest right thinking people could agree on that. But let's not go totally revisionist here people.... :wink:
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/26680514

That chance meeting at Highbury and that game of charades was what made the initial impression. Of course Dein is blowing his own "visionary" trumpet in a backhand way as well.

Success is all about how you handle it....Wenger's initial success led to his greatest failure, the inability to take advice, reinvent himself or admit when he made a mistake. If he had left 10 years earlier his legacy would have been firmly intact and he would probably be managing somewhere. Instead his toxic "marriage" to AFC has led to this ghastly mess we are in.
You are not telling me anything I don't know mate. But it's a myth he brought nothing to Arsenal or the PL. He changed us as a club and he helped change the PL. Of course after that initial (mostly) successful decade he totally lost the plot and the owners let him run riot so they too are culpable - in my view even more culpable because they had the power and didn't sack him until 10 years too late.

It doesn't mean you supported his last decade of ruin by admitting he was a brilliant manager for most of that first decade.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:07 pm
I'd rather have Smallpox and Polio make a comeback than that cûnt make any form of return.
I'd rather catch smallpox and polio than see Wenger return. :|

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:07 pm

Fucking Right! :high5:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

xisstential wrote:
As much as we fought to get rid of him in the 2 years prior to him going, in some perverse way I wanted him there for the final year of his contract as I knew the chickens were coming home to roost and the roof was going to fall in on him. If you remember he won one away game in his last season, the final one at Huddersfield, we lost all the others. His last season would have been hellish and he would have had nowhere to hide. Instead he slunk off on full pay & left Emery with all the dross that he bought and the toxic culture he created. Spin, spin, spin and win, win, win for our Arsene

Got the job because he played charades well in his second language and impregnated Dein & his wife :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
sounds about right.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

According to the [ Mirror ] Arsene Wenger has agreed for a statue of himself to be made outside the Emirates Stadium #afc #arsenal

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:54 am
According to the [ Mirror ] Arsene Wenger has agreed for a statue of himself to be made outside the Emirates Stadium #afc #arsenal
Can we get a group together to tear the fucking thing down, like they did with statues of Saddam Hussein, Stalin and other narcissistic, megalomaniac dictators?

Clash

Post by Clash »

Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:40 am
mcdowell42 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:54 am
Can we get a group together to tear the fucking thing down, like they did with statues of Saddam Hussein, Stalin and other narcissistic, megalomaniac dictators?
Agreed 8)

Whether it happens or not, this fucking statue thing does my head in. Living, breathing people should not have statues. Whats the point when you can see the real thing? Its complete nonsense :banghead:

And anyway, George Graham and a number of others should be done before Wenger. Unless its a statue of him as a naked emperor surrounded by bowing devotees, holding a loadsamoney wad of cash and a wrecking ball. That would be appropriate. :roll: