Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

OneBardGooner

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by OneBardGooner »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:34 pm
augie wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:16 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:56 am
I think Arteta could well be the right person for the job IF... IF He is given the financial backing by the wig wearing cuntbag so that he can buy at least 4 very good quality players especially in Defence and Mid-field. I know there are many managers (average at best) who given the right players/team could achieve results well above their perceived abilities, but I honestly think Arteta will succeed, if given the chance to buy the right players and get his tactics and playing methods instilled into the team.

Time will Tell. :|

How many managers in England could say the same thing ? Chris Wilder might claim that given the squad we have, and add 4 quality players to it, then he too could lead us back to success - I don't agree with that btw, but a good manager can take what he has to work with, improve them individually and as a team, and maybe making the team better than the sum of it's individual parts. People keep knocking the quality of the squad arteta has to work with and it is a cop out for me - we are nowhere near the level of players the top teams have, but are far better than what they are showing, and it is on arteta to get the maximum from those players, before he is given money to spend on players
Yes I agree with this.

up until now I have got behind Arteta - i think it is only fair to do so with a new Arsenal manager, and whilst the results haven't been the greatest you cant knock the fact that we have only lost once since he took over.

however he does now need to back up his solid start with some wins.
fail to beat Newcastle on Sunday and I think questions will rightly start being asked.
but for now I am fully supportive :barscarf:
Yeah! me too.. kinda like a Playtex Stick em out there bra! :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
I think Arteta could well be the right person for the job IF... IF He is given the financial backing by the wig wearing cuntbag so that he can buy at least 4 very good quality players especially in Defence and Mid-field. I know there are many managers (average at best) who given the right players/team could achieve results well above their perceived abilities, but I honestly think Arteta will succeed, if given the chance to buy the right players and get his tactics and playing methods instilled into the team.

How many managers in England could say the same thing ? Chris Wilder might claim that given the squad we have, and add 4 quality players to it, then he too could lead us back to success - I don't agree with that btw, but a good manager can take what he has to work with, improve them individually and as a team, and maybe making the team better than the sum of it's individual parts. People keep knocking the quality of the squad arteta has to work with and it is a cop out for me - we are nowhere near the level of players the top teams have, but are far better than what they are showing, and it is on arteta to get the maximum from those players, before he is given money to spend on players
I agree that a good manager should be able to get a higher level of performance from what his squad might achieve under a lesser manager.

And I agree with your disagreeing ( :D ) about the likes of Wilder in theory being able to do that. Straight off the top of my head I think of Fat Sam and Moyes two managers that did ok to goodish at small clubs getting them to punch above their weight to some extent, but then both shit the bed the minute they got a big or high pressure club job.

It takes a certain alpha personality as well as football knowledge etc to succeed at the big high pressure clubs and the likes of Wilder, Fat Sam, Curbishly, Pubis, Dyche, Redkrapp, Hughes, Moyes, etc etc don't have it - basically all the usual suspects from the Shit Managers Merry-go-round.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

augie wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

Pretty much, amazing how results orientated football fans are. They see a manager like Wilder and say he could do a good job at Arsenal. The Arsenal job is much bigger than anything Wilder has faced before. He has no ego's at Sheff Utd, some of their players are pinching themselves that they are playing in the PL and doing well. In my opinion this is a first season bounce, a lot of promoted teams have it. Lets see how things are this time next season when they start to have injuries etc and loss of form.

Nuno is the real deal, he's done fantastic job at wolves recruited well and got all his players into a style that is very attractive to watch. I would have taken him over Arteta personally.

In saying that Arteta has a chance to stamp his authority over the squad, this summer he has to be ruthless and get rid of players that have any potential to be disruptive to the group going forward. Ozil says things are much better under Arteta, that's only because he isn't getting the shit he used to get from Emery. Let's face it he had an easy ride under Wenger and Arteta needs to get him out the door imo. The same goes for Xhaka and Mustafi. I am not buying Mustafi having a few decent games as enough for him to stay at the club. Mustafi himself said the fans getting on his back affected his form, well that shows a lack of mental toughness for me.

We have some fantastic young players, probably the best group since the mid 80s. The only thing is none of them are defenders if we can compliment them with solid reliable defenders and a CDM then we have a chance of moving forward. We have to trust our young players now.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

My issue with Arteta is why would anyone expect him to be this strong willed manager who can iron out all the deficiencies when as a player he possessed many of the traits that made us weak. He was part of the problems under Wenger, he was a captain we used to malign for not being a leader of Adams or Vieira quality.

Some managers get fast tracked because they were great players themselves who exemplified the highest standards. Zidane & Pep did a few years coaching the B teams before getting the top job. Lampard is Chelsea boss two years into his career as a manager. Contrast to Klopp and Mourinho, and every other top manager who was a shit player - these guys grinded for at least a decade being an assistant before managing a small team, before prepossessing higher and higher. Arteta has been fast tracked to managing a top club with jack shit experience. However unlike the other three mentioned, Arteta cannot borrow from his playing days to install excellence in the team, for the simple reason who was never a great player.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:43 am
My issue with Arteta is why would anyone expect him to be this strong willed manager who can iron out all the deficiencies when as a player he possessed many of the traits that made us weak. He was part of the problems under Wenger, he was a captain we used to malign for not being a leader of Adams or Vieira quality.

Some managers get fast tracked because they were great players themselves who exemplified the highest standards. Zidane & Pep did a few years coaching the B teams before getting the top job. Lampard is Chelsea boss two years into his career as a manager. Contrast to Klopp and Mourinho, and every other top manager who was a shit player - these guys grinded for at least a decade being an assistant before managing a small team, before prepossessing higher and higher. Arteta has been fast tracked to managing a top club with jack shit experience. However unlike the other three mentioned, Arteta cannot borrow from his playing days to install excellence in the team, for the simple reason who was never a great player.
Except most of that bit in red is not true is it. :roll: :lol:

Stupid Teeth didn't grind "for at least a decade being an assistant". He retired as a player in 2001 and was handed the Mainz managers job straight away. Then after he got them relegated and quit he was handed the Dortmund managers job straight away.

Moron-hio was as much a translator as he ever was an assistant coach to Bobby Robson.

Still never let the soccerball myth of Trampy Shipman and Moron-hio get in the way of the truth huh? It's like when people hail them as two of the all time greats but conveniently ignore the fact any success they had at the top level was dependent upon being handed insane funding to buy that success. Stupid Teeth is approaching 500 million spent on the victims alone ffs.

Neither are fit to be spoken of in the same sentence as Chapman or GG or Paisley or Shankley or Rednose. Or even Wenger in his first 10 years - before the lobotomy. :lol:

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... rteta.html

Ozil having a dig......so what's his personal excuse for still being so poor now that he can't blame Emery anymore???

Gotta love one of the Headers "Arsenal have lost just one of Arteta's seven Premier League games in charge"

Had it been a negative article it would have read "Arsenal have won just one of Arteta's seven Premier League games in charge" :? :? :?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

xisstential wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:48 am

Ozil having a dig......so what's his personal excuse for still being so poor now that he can't blame Emery anymore???

Gotta love one of the Headers "Arsenal have lost just one of Arteta's seven Premier League games in charge"

Had it been a negative article it would have read "Arsenal have won just one of Arteta's seven Premier League games in charge" :? :? :?
And when the meejia turn on Arteta they'll go down that very road. Football reporters are absolute scum.

The Ozil thing is so indicative of the entitled modern footballer. Back in the day if you weren't lighting up the league with your performances you kept your mouth shut. Nowadays you get players like Ozil being overpaid and underperforming and they feel they have every right to be in the press passing comment and judgement. Someone needs to tell him get your own house in order before you comment on others.

HerbertChapman

Post by HerbertChapman »

xisstential wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:48 am

Being a touch selective there mate. That article does actually say we've only won one. :lol:

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:29 pm
wilson2.0 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:43 am

Except most of that bit in red is not true is it. :roll: :lol:

Stupid Teeth didn't grind "for at least a decade being an assistant". He retired as a player in 2001 and was handed the Mainz managers job straight away. Then after he got them relegated and quit he was handed the Dortmund managers job straight away.

Moron-hio was as much a translator as he ever was an assistant coach to Bobby Robson.

Still never let the soccerball myth of Trampy Shipman and Moron-hio get in the way of the truth huh? It's like when people hail them as two of the all time greats but conveniently ignore the fact any success they had at the top level was dependent upon being handed insane funding to buy that success. Stupid Teeth is approaching 500 million spent on the victims alone ffs.

Neither are fit to be spoken of in the same sentence as Chapman or GG or Paisley or Shankley or Rednose. Or even Wenger in his first 10 years - before the lobotomy. :lol:

Ridiculous to deny Klopp's quality. Liverpool went from outsiders in England to the point where its viable to suggest they are the best team in Europe right now. Better than Barcelona, Madrid, Bayern, Juventus, PSG. You can buy players with money, but thats about it. For all the money Klopp has spent whats our excuse? PEA 50m, Lacazette 50m, Ozil 42m, Xhaka 34, Mustafi 35m, Pepe 72m, Saliba the 30m euro signing who we loaned out, Tierney. All that and still behind Sheffield United.

When Liverpool signed a defender from Southampton for 75m I thought it was mental. But they have made it work and are about to win the Premier League following last seasons Champions League success.

The money argument is turning bullshit. Sure it helps but every club is spending these days, even we are churning out massive signings. But where has it got us? We spent 100m on Pepe and Saliba last summer for almost no impact. Saliba on loan, and Pepe still adjusting.

Once 11 players walk onto the pitch money means nothing. When Liverpool players walk into the pitch they play with intensity to the point they have literally won over 95% of the games they have played this year. Where as our players walk into the pitch and just wally around and maybe they get a win.

Does Arteta posses the same level of intensity and character to drill that into our squad? I would say Arteta will offer a cheap imitation of Gaurdiola.

If we had sacked Wenger in 2015 and hired Klopp, then I dare say we might be 20 points clear this year. Because in 2015 we were better than Liverpool.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I feel people's frustration and pain around the current situation, but in the end it's all if's, but's and maybe's. The reality is, we have an owner who is a cuntt.
A young untested manager who has (for me) shown he just might have the potential and abilities to become a good manager; whether that's with us or another team at some point in the future is another matter.

The situation we find ourselves in is a direct mirror of what the game has become (all about the money and glamour), which is itself a mirroring of society and the world at large.

Everything is short-fix, plastic, shallow shyte.

augie

Post by augie »

Btw, can I also say to all those who dismissed the possibility of having PV4 as our manager when emery was sacked, that he now has Nice just 5pts off champions league places in French league 8)

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

augie wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:02 pm
Btw, can I also say to all those who dismissed the possibility of having PV4 as our manager when emery was sacked, that he now has Nice just 5pts off champions league places in French league 8)
PV4, would have been my preferred long term choice.
Worry now is that he will go to Citeh and thus probably never be an Arsenal manager!
On Arteta? I’ve seen more to be optomistic about than to be pessimistic! If ever a manager needed a summer transfer window, then it’s Arteta!
Klopp and the victims?
It’s all too painful!
However to try and belittle or undermine what they may possibly achieve this season, is simply sour grapes and senseless denial!
Like it or not, (and believe me I don’t) if they continue on this winning run and stay unbeaten, then it will surpass anything I am aware of anywhere in top level football and will blow our Invincibles out of the water!
VAR, shit league, bla bla bla!
It’s fucking awful having to witness this success, but to put it down? Is nothing short of embarrassing and tbh, quite fucking pathetic!
And I doubt there are many on here who loathe those c u n t s more than me!

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
For which he will shortly be hailed as a hero no doubt......unlike that old dinosaur Wilder who has Sheffield United 2 points off the CL

augie

Post by augie »

goonersid wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:42 pm
augie wrote:
Worry now is that he will go to Citeh and thus probably never be an Arsenal manager!
On Arteta? I’ve seen more to be optomistic about than to be pessimistic! If ever a manager needed a summer transfer window, then it’s Arteta!
Klopp and the victims?
It’s all too painful!
However to try and belittle or undermine what they may possibly achieve this season, is simply sour grapes and senseless denial!
Like it or not, (and believe me I don’t) if they continue on this winning run and stay unbeaten, then it will surpass anything I am aware of anywhere in top level football and will blow our Invincibles out of the water!
It’s fucking awful having to witness this success, but to put it down? Is nothing short of embarrassing and tbh, quite fucking pathetic!

Can I say this with almost absolute belief, I don't know of a single other manager in world football that would pick mustafi ahead of sokratis, or pick xhaka ahead of torreira, or pick nketieh ahead of martinelli - that he is doing all 3, gives me almost no confidence that he is gonna be a success. People can talk about him needing a transfer window, but anyone that thinks that xhaka is better than torreira should not be allowed anywhere near a transfer kitty

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

augie wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:07 pm
goonersid wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:42 pm
augie wrote:
Klopp and the victims?
It’s all too painful!

Can I say this with almost absolute belief, I don't know of a single other manager in world football that would pick mustafi ahead of sokratis, or pick xhaka ahead of torreira, or pick nketieh ahead of martinelli - that he is doing all 3, gives me almost no confidence that he is gonna be a success. People can talk about him needing a transfer window, but anyone that thinks that xhaka is better than torreira should not be allowed anywhere near a transfer kitty
Augie, I know you’re still smarting over Emery, but I do agree Torreira is better than Xhaka, but I also think he wants away and has more off field issues!
Nketieh is young and games like today are ideal to blood him! Martinelli has hardly been starved of playing time under Arteta!
As for Mustafi, even I can’t make a case for him :lol: