VAR

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: VAR

Post by DB10GOONER »

HerbertChapman wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:29 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:59 pm
HerbertChapman wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:37 pm
Clash wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:17 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:10 pm
Well contrary to popular belief it would appear that TOF still has one brain cell rattling about upstairs. He is proposing to do the obvious and rewrite the offside law for next season so that an attacker is onside as long as any part of the body that he can score with ( :shock: ) is level with the defender. If we are lumbered with VAR then this is a step forward at least and will make the cu.nt referees in the PL put their slide rules away. No more offside armpits or big toes :roll:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... fside-var/
:D

It would be an improvement but wont it instead be a case of the slide rule coming out to prove someone is onside instead of offside?

Maybe we should have kept Iwobi. Part of that massive backside would be onside at all times wherever he is on the pitch :roll:
Yep exactly. It will just be swapping the farthest forward part of the body to the farthest back. So it would be his armpit is onside instead of his armpit is offside. Can't see any improvement gained from it myself.

Er.....it's a goal :roll:
Er.....I'm referring to the VAR officials drawing their little lines on the screen. :roll:
Er...... Er...... I have nothing. :banghead:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:47 pm

Unless somebody has the nous to ditch VAR then this is still the better outcome from a wanky decision and we want goals. It will be far easier to see that a player is definitely onside from a first look at a call so I'll take that all day long over the current bs.
I'd still 100% rather we got rid of the game killing shit that is VAR but if we have to have this VAR shit - and let's be honest the fucktards that run football will never admit they got it wrong - then I agree this rule change should improve this one aspect of the current mess. :|

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:23 pm
HerbertChapman wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:29 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:59 pm
HerbertChapman wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:37 pm
Clash wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:17 pm

It would be an improvement but wont it instead be a case of the slide rule coming out to prove someone is onside instead of offside?

Maybe we should have kept Iwobi. Part of that massive backside would be onside at all times wherever he is on the pitch :roll:
Yep exactly. It will just be swapping the farthest forward part of the body to the farthest back. So it would be his armpit is onside instead of his armpit is offside. Can't see any improvement gained from it myself.

Er.....it's a goal :roll:
Er.....I'm referring to the VAR officials drawing their little lines on the screen. :roll:
Er...... Er...... I have nothing. :banghead:
:lol:

Well that's a first.......almost :lol:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Fuck that why should you pampered pussy midfielders and attackers get even more of an advantage, if you finger nails offside its offside, christ a defender breathes on you these days you go down like a cheapside whore. Arsenal built title winning teams around the offside rule and now you effectively want to scrap it..... cry me a river if you cant stay onside :wink:

VAR proves definitively if someone is offside, it shit if it's a big toe but it's still offside, the blind *word censored* on the sideline get it wrong constantly, think Auba against the Manc scum and you want to go back to trusting them.... for excitement sake???

Wengers name on the suggestion alone should put all of you off but I guess not :roll:

HerbertChapman

Post by HerbertChapman »

One decent thing imo is the broadcasting of the conversation between the Ref and VAR officials. And the subsequent order that the Victims and the Mancs must install big screens in their grounds.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Bournemouth robbed again , they have upset the referees by complaining about a referees professionalism and now be be relegated,because every decision will go against them.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Herd wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:25 am
Bournemouth robbed again , they have upset the referees by complaining about a referees professionalism and now be be relegated,because every decision will go against them.
Yes they were. On their second disallowed goal even if it was handball , which I didn't think it was, a full 15 seconds passed between the alleged handball and the goal at the opposite end. Not a long time I know, but think back to Liverpool's goal against Wolves ar Anfield over the festive season. Van Dijk controlled the ball with his arm,before playing a seventy yard pass to Lallana who shouldered it to Mane who scored.. In his post match interview Conor Coady said he asked the referee why Van Dijk's handball wasn't taken into consideration and the referee replied it was too far away to influence the goal.(paraphrasing there). Three touches after his handball it is a goal but was too far away to influence the play...
In 2009, 2014 and last season the FA, Premier League and media worked themselves into a frenzy at the thought of Liverpool winning the title. Every assistance was given, how many offside goals last season???
VAR was supposed to go beyond any doubts in terms of impartiality and human error..Instead it has failed miserably for MOST clubs. Bournemouth yesterday a prime example. In my opinion VAR has only served to confirm the bias towards a handful of clubs. No coincidence that two of those clubs are the media darlings.

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

We wouldn't mind if they got everything right or were consistent. If PEA at Palace was a red then yesterday's at the bridge not even being a yellow is farcical. Then the farce at Burnley and I begin to wonder if top flight football is dead as a spectacle, or whether far east gambling syndicates have increased their reach beyond turning off floodlights now and then.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Well VAr increases the opportunity for corruptionand our game is not immune to corruption of that I am sure .
The Burnley game was fixed yesterday without question.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Herd wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:59 pm
Well VAr increases the opportunity for corruptionand our game is not immune to corruption of that I am sure .
The Burnley game was fixed yesterday without question.
Exactly. This was the point I was making after the very dubious VAR decision after the france v Cameroon at the womens world cup last year. It's open to abuse. If VAR was a woman, they'd be a support group, varnet.com and a bunch of men in jail for DV.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Surprised not to have seen a more recent update to this thread from all those outraged by the technology

2 points gained against West Ham, 1 at Old Trafford for a matter of seconds

Can we go back to blowing up a pigs bladder and having a tape instead of the crossbar though.....much more fun

Clash

Post by Clash »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:35 am
Surprised not to have seen a more recent update to this thread from all those outraged by the technology

Can we go back to blowing up a pigs bladder and having a tape instead of the crossbar though.....much more fun

For a change the technology benefited us but the negative side of VAR was still there to see as the long, silent wait in the ground was ridiculous. Especially when it turned out that it was a really straightforward decision that only needed 1 replay. I just cannot understand why it took 3-4 minutes to reach a verdict.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clash wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:26 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

For a change the technology benefited us but the negative side of VAR was still there to see as the long, silent wait in the ground was ridiculous. Especially when it turned out that it was a really straightforward decision that only needed 1 replay. I just cannot understand why it took 3-4 minutes to reach a verdict.
Exactly. ^^^^ 8)

Ffs VAR finally got one right and it was so obviously onside it didn't fucking even need VAR - and still the shit system took 5 fucking minutes to make the decision. Absolute nonsense of a system killing the game for everybody except towel flicker fans who are used to watching players stand around for up to 5 minutes at a time. What next? Should we introduce compulsory arse fingering so we can be even more like the tedious shit that is rugby? :roll:

Fuck VAR. :censored:

Clash

Post by Clash »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:19 pm
Clash wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:26 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

Exactly. ^^^^ 8)

Ffs VAR finally got one right and it was so obviously onside it didn't fucking even need VAR - and still the shit system took 5 fucking minutes to make the decision. Absolute nonsense of a system killing the game for everybody except towel flicker fans who are used to watching players stand around for up to 5 minutes at a time. What next? Should we introduce compulsory arse fingering so we can be even more like the tedious shit that is rugby? :roll:

Fuck VAR. :censored:
hahaha :lol:

Now that handshakes have been banned it might be the right time to introduce that 8)

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

They have just introduced on field wanking.