City Banned from CL for 2 years

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
NickF

Re: City Banned from CL for 2 years

Post by NickF »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:12 am

Honestly, what is more of an achievement buying Vieira and Petit on a shoestring and turning them into world-beaters or spending hundreds of millions of pounds to bring the title back to Chelski for the first time in 50 years?
If you ask an Arsenal fan, the former.
If you ask a Chelski fan, the latter.

herbert

Post by herbert »

Man city a buisness?
:lol:

They made a profit of 10 mill in 1 season out of 12 seasons and that was after they cooked the books

Hobby ,the new sport of kings maybe ?
but if they were a buisness they would have gone bankrupt a long time ago

I

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Clash wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:44 pm
Good points there Augie.

Interesting 2011 quote from Tony Adams:
"I think that a significant factor, 90 per cent, in why we achieved so much is that Danny Fiszman invested £50m in the club and we were able to go to the next level," he said. "I got my first decent contract at the club, so did David Seaman, we were able to bring in Dennis Bergkamp – and that was before Arsène arrived – David Platt, Patrick Vieira, Nicolas Anelka, and were able to pay them – top players from around the world.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... r3z-addoor

So does this mean our best ever player was not bought with funds the club grew organically but instead with the fortune of a diamond dealer?

Well technically DB was purchased using a bank loan.....as was David Platt and the backing for the purchases was very much down to the financial standing of DD and DF.

Personally I can't be done with all the liberal pinko thinking on this subject. We live in a free market global economy so if Sheikh Rattle and Roll wants to sink a few billion into a club then so be it. Football sold it's soul years ago so as far as I can see it's a bit rich trying to get all sanctimonious about money in the game now.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Clash wrote:
Good points there Augie.

"I think that a significant factor, 90 per cent, in why we achieved so much is that Danny Fiszman invested £50m in the club and we were able to go to the next level," he said. "I got my first decent contract at the club, so did David Seaman, we were able to bring in Dennis Bergkamp – and that was before Arsène arrived – David Platt, Patrick Vieira, Nicolas Anelka, and were able to pay them – top players from around the world.

So does this mean our best ever player was not bought with funds the club grew organically but instead with the fortune of a diamond dealer?
https://www.transferleague.co.uk/arsena ... -transfers

With the greatest respect to our former illustrious captain, I don't think he would get a job as a financial analyst in the City of London. Those words are his opinions rather than concrete facts.

We barely spent £30m net in the transfer market over the 5 seasons from 95/96 to 00/01. Dennis Bergkamp was the highest-paid player in the PL when he joined the club, but even then there was incrementally more money coming into the game from sponsorships, tv and gate receipts.

Just to show how shrude David Dein was, look at some of these buys:

Freddie £3m
Kanu £4.5m
Petit £2.5m
Vieira £3.5m
Anelka £0.5m

And to top it off Anelka was sold for £23m. That allowed us to buy TH14, Davor Suker, Lauren and Silvinho and still balance the books!

I don't buy at any stage that Arsenal had a sugar daddy pumping in money that took us away from the competition because it wasn't like that.

Herd

Post by Herd »

For once I agree with Flush , for a start Fizman didn't inject anything into Arsenal beyond buying the shares and he only got involved because Dein didn't have the money to get the rest Ive said this before and its very true .
All Tony knows is that he got a decent contract after many years ,bless him !
Money was coming through massively increased TV revenues and rising gate receipts and in Wengers early years we did some great business which went on for a while ,remember we got a fortune when we moved Overmars and Petite on too ,the Anelka deal was a very very sweet one pure 23.5 million profit .
Wenger was at the top of his game in these times,he knew the market he knew the players it was his time and what a time it was !
As sad and as drawn out his demise was these times where golden for him and for us and I thank him for them because it was him that got all those wonderful players (except Berkamp) to our club to augment the rock solid defense he inherited !
If I die tomorrow I will still have seen the best football any league club has ever produced ,and it was done by my team The Arsenal !
RIP Arsenal 1886-2006 it was a good innings !

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:31 pm
Clash wrote:
Good points there Augie.

With the greatest respect to our former illustrious captain, I don't think he would get a job as a financial analyst in the City of London. Those words are his opinions rather than concrete facts.

We barely spent £30m net in the transfer market over the 5 seasons from 95/96 to 00/01. Dennis Bergkamp was the highest-paid player in the PL when he joined the club, but even then there was incrementally more money coming into the game from sponsorships, tv and gate receipts.

Freddie £3m
Kanu £4.5m
Petit £2.5m
Vieira £3.5m
Anelka £0.5m

And to top it off Anelka was sold for £23m. That allowed us to buy TH14, Davor Suker, Lauren and Silvinho and still balance the books!

I don't buy at any stage that Arsenal had a sugar daddy pumping in money that took us away from the competition because it wasn't like that.
C'mon Nutty you know that those same players would require at least a multiple of 10 on them in todays market so i'm not sure your argument holds weight in this instance. For the record i'm talking about at the start of their careers when they were bought not when they'd achieved what they did with us. Martinelli who is probably the modern equivalent of Anelka cost us £7-8M as an 18 year old.

Most sports these days aren't sports any more but entertainment businesses look at the prize money for Wimbledon or the amount of money made in sponsorship and diamond league appearances in Athletics.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:56 pm
I'll say it again. The court for Arbitration will knock it back to one season or suspend it altogether. :roll:

Still it was good to hear from Wenger on this. :lol:

:suicide:
His statement "they bought all our players" got me thinking could we have benefitted as an accomplice? Must be at least £75m gained in transfer fees.

Surely, the last 3 seasons is purgatory enough for our crimes of taking "dirty" money.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:44 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:31 pm
Clash wrote:
Good points there Augie.

Freddie £3m
Kanu £4.5m
Petit £2.5m
Vieira £3.5m
Anelka £0.5m

C'mon Nutty you know that those same players would require at least a multiple of 10 on them in todays market so i'm not sure your argument holds weight in this instance. For the record i'm talking about at the start of their careers when they were bought not when they'd achieved what they did with us. Martinelli who is probably the modern equivalent of Anelka cost us £7-8M as an 18 year old.

Most sports these days aren't sports any more but entertainment businesses look at the prize money for Wimbledon or the amount of money made in sponsorship and diamond league appearances in Athletics.
This is nothing to do with what they would cost today, but a question of whether Arsenal was bankrolled by Fizmans Diamond money. All I am doing is pointing out that we were self-sustained back then with a very small net outlay then but thanks to Dein especially got deals over the line.

If Arsenal gets two future World Cup winning players, in the summer for £25 and £35m respectively no one will be complaining will they? Instead we get duds like Xhaka and Mustafi (ok he loosely won it ha!) for that money,
Last edited by nut flush gooner on Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

goonersid wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:05 am
Let’s see how loyal “lightbulb head” will be now there’s no clge next season !
It might actually tempt him to stay, so he can hide behind the ban.
Fucking scumbag Chav club!
Hide what? He has nothing to prove to anyone, has been successful wherever he has been, Barcelona still wants him back.

Not very clever of him to refuse jobs from top clubs and money to back up transfer windows because Oliver from Shropshire wants him to 'prove' himself by taking Accrington Stanley to a PL win.

Money can take you to a certain point; the ability to work players your way, be effective and manifest an ideology that many, if not most football teams nowadays follow is what defines him, not 'he only wins because he can bring whoever he wants'. So can all other top clubs, can't see Everton being anywhere near successful although they spent 200+ in 2/3 windows.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Some peeps seem to be getting rather 'hot underthe collar' FFS..It's ONLY $hitty - fuckEM and all who sail in it/her/ etc :?

Clash

Post by Clash »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:28 pm
Some peeps seem to be getting rather 'hot underthe collar' FFS..It's ONLY $hitty - fuckEM and all who sail in it/her/ etc :?
Ah yes sir ... but without them we could easily have had to endure the following:

2011 - Stoke winning the FA Cup final :censored:
2012 - Another title for Manure zzzzzzzz :yawn:
2014 - The great SlippyG and ''Brendan'' winning the long awaited title :censored: :roll: :banghead: :twisted:
2018 - Mourinho winning a title at Manure :censored: :blah: :yawn: / Wenger getting another new contract for winning the League cup :barscarf:
2019 Klopp and Liverpool CL and PL double :censored: :roll: :banghead: :twisted: / that mouthy fat c—t Troy Deaney winning the FA cup :censored:

So you see they’re not so bad are they? :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Herd wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:40 pm
For once I agree with Flush , for a start Fizman didn't inject anything into Arsenal beyond buying the shares and he only got involved because Dein didn't have the money to get the rest Ive said this before and its very true .
All Tony knows is that he got a decent contract after many years ,bless him !
Money was coming through massively increased TV revenues and rising gate receipts and in Wengers early years we did some great business which went on for a while ,remember we got a fortune when we moved Overmars and Petite on too ,the Anelka deal was a very very sweet one pure 23.5 million profit .
Wenger was at the top of his game in these times,he knew the market he knew the players it was his time and what a time it was !
As sad and as drawn out his demise was these times where golden for him and for us and I thank him for them because it was him that got all those wonderful players (except Berkamp) to our club to augment the rock solid defense he inherited !
If I die tomorrow I will still have seen the best football any league club has ever produced ,and it was done by my team The Arsenal !
RIP Arsenal 1886-2006 it was a good innings !
Agreed on Wenger's early years. Too many on here have let their hatred of his latter years poison their memories of a truly great time in our history.

Also agree something died in the club in 2006. The move from our beloved Highbury was the metaphor for the death of proper Arsenal.

I know you didn't suggest that Rioch signed DB (like a few idiots still believe) but interestingly author Philip Auclare insists Wenger advised Dein to go buy DB as he was so unhappy in Italy and thus "gettable". The greatest thing Dein ever did was go get the DB. 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

As this is a bit of a financial thread I'm surprised my mate Flash isn't all over it. He loves a financial thread does Flash. Fucking loves it. :lol: :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:06 pm
As this is a bit of a financial thread I'm surprised my mate Flash isn't all over it. He loves a financial thread does Flash. Fucking loves it. :lol: :wink:
Maybe this'll get him to look!

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Nos89 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:21 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:56 pm
I'll say it again. The court for Arbitration will knock it back to one season or suspend it altogether. :roll:

Still it was good to hear from Wenger on this. :lol:

:suicide:
His statement "they bought all our players" got me thinking could we have benefitted as an accomplice? Must be at least £75m gained in transfer fees.

Surely, the last 3 seasons is purgatory enough for our crimes of taking "dirty" money.
Good point. Typical of the hypocritical old cûnt. Morally objecting to something but happy to take lots of money from it. A bit like making money from Apartheid South Africa and then deciding to blame them for making you a rich man. Never underestimate the double-standards of that man. Working for FIFA is about as perfect a job for a money mad, self-important egotist.