Olympiacos H Thurs 27th Feb, 8pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Nos89

Re: Olympiacos H Thurs 27th Feb, 8pm

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:50 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:45 pm
Gutted, absolutely gutted. Still in shock at that Auba miss in the 122 minute. Can't even think about slagging off the players. Something we haven't seen in European competition for a few years. I guess the culling can begin.

Problem is where do you start ? No way auba signs a new contract now - if the positivity kept going for the next 6 weeks or so, and we were still in this cup, then MAYBE he starts to believe we can make champions league (through this competition) or see's sufficient progress to convince him to sign a new deal. The whole arse will fall out of our season now - we have a squad devoid of backbone at the best of times, so it wouldn't surprise me if the wheels come right off now starting with pompey Monday night
I'd like to think the opposite. Think the problem in last two seasons is that the players thought they had a back up of getting into the CL by winning this competition. That's gone now. There's only one way in and thats through the league. The team are more than capable of pulling back 7 points. They should've finished 3rd last season but for the negligence and miss placed confidence of winning the europa league of the manager.
The arse fell out of our season in September, it being currently being reconstructed.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

HerbertChapman wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:47 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:32 am
HerbertChapman wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:24 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:18 am
HerbertChapman wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:47 pm

Erm no...Just stating my opinion of the quality of a player regardless of his age. I'll say the same about Rhys Nelson. I don't feel the need to "out" Xhaka, Mustafi, Ozil, Leno, Luiz et al. And notice that I haven't "outed" Saka or Martinelli? Both young players too. Why's that you think?
Willock is a player with potential. Have you forgotten about his cameo goal against Pool earlier this season?

All in all, Willock isnt a player who has had a bad season. As I said he's finding his feet, in a team that is devoid of confidence. I for one want to see him in a team with a more stable defence before making a decision on his ability.

What does Martinelli and Saka have to do with anything? We are talking about Willock, and you've outed him on the basis of a handful of games.
A handful of games? The lad's made 48 appearances in total. :lol:

And I mentioned Saka and Martinelli as you seemed to accuse me of unreasonably "outing" a young player.
Come on you know as well as anyone this is his break through year. He's been involved in 31 games this season, a lot of them from the bench.

It's ridiculous to make a judgement on a young player, who hasn't done anything wrong unlike the more established players like Luiz tonight perhaps?

You are being completely unreasonable in outing Willock, he wasn't a major factor in our loss tonight it was the defence again.
So you think I'm basing my opinion on just tonight's game and not the entire 48 appearances? Oh dear. :lol:

And anyway, my original post was as much about Jonathan Pierce as it was Willock.
Now your just taking words out of my mouth. If you wanna go at players over a period of time look at the real culprits, I haven't heard one gooner have a pop at Willock. He isn't remotely responsible for this seasons shambles.

Whatever way you look at it, we lost last night because of our defences inability to defend crosses and a stupid moment of madness from our goalkeeper. And yet you highlight what a shit commentator says about Willock. Utter madness.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Maybe a trivial issue but I felt Arsenal over celebrated Aubameyang's goal .Arteta should have been down the line screaming at the players to get into position and concentrate.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

What I'd like to know how a 6ft6 CB gets so much space to run into, without a single 1 of our players noticing.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Any Idea when soares will be fit? Bellerin is finished, I blame his vegan lifestyle :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:05 am
Any Idea when soares will be fit? Bellerin is finished, I blame his vegan lifestyle :lol:
Is she a vegan? No wonder she has no pace anymore. She probably runs out of steam just moisturising her face. :roll: :lol:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Joking aside he has lost the one thing he did have - pace. He lost just about every 50-50 tackle last night and its so easy to go round him its untrue. Contributed fuck all going forward either. There would be enough takers out there for him too - get rid of the useless fucker and take Lacazette and Ozil with him

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:30 am
Upon reflection going out at this stage could be a blessing for our league position and a major focus an push for top 4. Only 7 points away. That's the Arsenal way isn't it. Go out of Europe in februay/march. Sneak into top 4 and win the FA Cup. Although, a season out of Europe could actually do more good than harm. The season Chelski didn't qualfy for Europe, they won the league the following season. Liverpool have made a European final every season and improved league performance every season after not qualifying for European football.
Although, the immediate teams above us are as average and inconsistent as we have been, but we seem better equipped now with a decent coach.
Can I have a drag of whatever you've been smoking. Only 7 points with back to back games against Wolves, Leicester, Spurs and Liverpool to come plus the likes of Southampton away where we never win these days. This season is carrying on the way it did for the last 7 games under Emery. There will be more games like last night and i doubt we will finish higher than 8th

Going out in Feb/March was just about acceptable in the Europe's top competition against the likes of Bayern and Barca. Wenger and Emery managed to find a way to get us to the semi final and final of this one, but the cone man / super coach has truly excelled himself managing to get bundled out in the round of 32 in the Thursday night cup. If that turns into a blessing in disguise it will be if Pompey knock out us out too and the season blows up in smoke, and the owners recognise what a disastrous appointment they've made

Theres a reason why the 7 PL managers younger than him in history haven't gone beyond a second season
Last edited by SteveO 35 on Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Bellerin - can’t defend, can’t attack, can’t run. One of the worst performances I can remember from a player in a long time and we’ve had some shit ones. The sight of him plodding back after pissing away possession 70 yards up the pitch was a tragic one.
Last edited by rodders999 on Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:36 am
mcdowell42 wrote:
Joking aside he has lost the one thing he did have - pace. He lost just about every 50-50 tackle last night and its so easy to go round him its untrue. Contributed fuck all going forward either. There would be enough takers out there for him too - get rid of the useless fucker and take Lacazette and Ozil with him
Ah yes, Bellend and his much fabled pace. For all the talk about it, we haven't seen much evidence of it, a converted winger who hardly ever has the balls to take on a LB and would rather check and play the ball back time and time again. A bit like that other pace merchant wally of whom I lost count of the number of times he used to skin the LB.

I've said it for the last couple of seasons we should have cashed in on Bellerin when there was talk of a £50M move.

I have never felt as apathetic about the Arsenal as I do now. This club no longer has anybody that I feel any connect with - it hasn't for a while now to be honest but it has finally reached that point for me. Ground, Board, Coaches, Team......nothing. There was hope with Emery for a while and now we have Arteta, both of them are honsest guys and people can moan about them all they like but the reality is that it's just a complete shitshow at our place these days and it all comes back to wiggy.

augie

Post by augie »

Ray C wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:35 am
Load of bollocks, why does Pepe come inside everytime he gets the ball ??. George Graham would love it. He's doing the fullback's job for him just like the old Arsenal back 4 of years gone by !!. With a retreating defence the only way is wide, fast & cross it from the bye line. At least try to see what he can do on the left hand side. Lacozette & Ozil should have been replaced at half time. :barscarf: :barscarf:

Cos every fcuking manager we have had since he joined, has pandered to him and played him in his preferred right wing position - I don't think that I have ever seen a winger as one footed as this dope is :roll: Every defender knows that all they have to do is show him down the line cos he wont even attempt to shoot or cross on his right foot :evil: If he is that one sided, then he needs to be put on the left wing for the good of the team, cos at least he will have more space on his left foot to cross the ball instead of being forced into a crowd when he cuts inside now

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:43 am
Nos89 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:30 am
Upon reflection going out at this stage could be a blessing for our league position and a major focus an push for top 4. Only 7 points away. That's the Arsenal way isn't it. Go out of Europe in februay/march. Sneak into top 4 and win the FA Cup. Although, a season out of Europe could actually do more good than harm. The season Chelski didn't qualfy for Europe, they won the league the following season. Liverpool have made a European final every season and improved league performance every season after not qualifying for European football.
Although, the immediate teams above us are as average and inconsistent as we have been, but we seem better equipped now with a decent coach.
Can I have a drag of whatever you've been smoking. Only 7 points with back to back games against Wolves, Leicester, Spurs and Liverpool to come plus the likes of Southampton away where we never win these days. This season is carrying on the way it did for the last 7 games under Emery. There will be more games like last night and i doubt we will finish higher than 8th

Going out in Feb/March was just about acceptable in the Europe's top competition against the likes of Bayern and Barca. Wenger and Emery managed to find a way to get us to the semi final and final of this one, but the cone man / super coach has truly excelled himself managing to get bundled out in the round of 32 in the Thursday night cup. If that turns into a blessing in disguise it will be if Pompey knock out us out too and the season blows up in smoke, and the owners recognise what a disastrous appointment they've made

Theres a reason why the 7 PL managers younger than him in history haven't gone beyond a second season
You stand more chance of getting corona virus than getting hold of the toxins that have entered this mans body!

Wengerballs

Post by Wengerballs »

Artetas shooting himself in the foot with puzzling team seections and dumb substitutions the way Emery did. Martinellis been on fire but it took 105 to bring him on and take off the useless bearded Laccatard who is clearly on the wine too much. Willock our first substitution...wtf? And where is the new big Brazilian defender we just signed? Is he injured? Luiz is old, his legs had gone and he was exhausted in extra time.

Skooner

Post by Skooner »

Hard to find anything positive to say about last night, poor all night with issues all over the pitch.

What should happen now is that preparations start for next season immediately. And that should mean things like more game time for the likes of Martinelli and Nketiah, keep playing Ceballos to determine if he is worth investing in permanently. Obviously the defence is still an issue but in some ways the biggest nut to crack for Arteta is find some creativity from the midfield, we'll no doubt have to suck up one more season of Ozil in the squad until his contract is up but he isn't a solution to that issue, he finds space but spends all his time going sideways, taking the easy way out. I can't see anyone in the squad that looks like a good possible bet for that number 10 role.

No idea what we should do with Pepe, in theory lots of raw ingredients to work with but he needs an incredible amount of coaching to get him to do anything useful.

I think/hope this time next year the defence will look a lot different that it does right now, Tierney on the left, possibly Chambers/Saliba in the middle. And as lots of people have said, decisions need to be made about Bellerin, he's never been the greatest defender but his speed did at times get us out of trouble, I suspect he'll still be first choice next season and the club are hoping these issues are basically the hangover from a long term injury but we need a strong alternative.

HerbertChapman

Post by HerbertChapman »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:12 am
HerbertChapman wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:47 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:32 am
HerbertChapman wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:24 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:18 am

Willock is a player with potential. Have you forgotten about his cameo goal against Pool earlier this season?

All in all, Willock isnt a player who has had a bad season. As I said he's finding his feet, in a team that is devoid of confidence. I for one want to see him in a team with a more stable defence before making a decision on his ability.

What does Martinelli and Saka have to do with anything? We are talking about Willock, and you've outed him on the basis of a handful of games.
A handful of games? The lad's made 48 appearances in total. :lol:

And I mentioned Saka and Martinelli as you seemed to accuse me of unreasonably "outing" a young player.
Come on you know as well as anyone this is his break through year. He's been involved in 31 games this season, a lot of them from the bench.

It's ridiculous to make a judgement on a young player, who hasn't done anything wrong unlike the more established players like Luiz tonight perhaps?

You are being completely unreasonable in outing Willock, he wasn't a major factor in our loss tonight it was the defence again.
So you think I'm basing my opinion on just tonight's game and not the entire 48 appearances? Oh dear. :lol:

And anyway, my original post was as much about Jonathan Pierce as it was Willock.
Now your just taking words out of my mouth. If you wanna go at players over a period of time look at the real culprits, I haven't heard one gooner have a pop at Willock. He isn't remotely responsible for this seasons shambles.

Whatever way you look at it, we lost last night because of our defences inability to defend crosses and a stupid moment of madness from our goalkeeper. And yet you highlight what a shit commentator says about Willock. Utter madness.
You obviously don't visit this forum much then. :lol:

Nowhere have I said Willock was responsible. I'm just saying that in my opinion he isn't good enough. Our recent past is littered with players that come through the ranks and just aren't good enough. You're the one putting words in my mouth.