Pompey (A) FA CUP 02/03 @ 19:45

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
mcdowell42

Re: Pompey (A) FA CUP 02/03 @ 19:45

Post by mcdowell42 »

Arteta on Maitland-Niles: "Ainsley needs to put his head down & work hard & show me every day in training that he wants it more than anyone else, he wants to play for this club & fight for his place" #Arsenal https://t.co/DWXsRSIs2s

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:17 am
Arteta on Maitland-Niles: "Ainsley needs to put his head down & work hard & show me every day in training that he wants it more than anyone else, he wants to play for this club & fight for his place" #Arsenal https://t.co/DWXsRSIs2s
I doubt the lazy *word censored* Ozil and his merry men show him anything like that so he can shove that comment back up his arse

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Great scenes - front row seat within spitting distance of the Pompey yoof chavs who classily decided to hurl abuse at Torreira while he was laying on the ground clearly in distress.

How we laughed when they resorted to "you're gonna win fuck all" at 2-0, followed by the forgotten but much loved little club classic "we support our local team". Yeah hope that keeps you warm at Wycombe and Gillingham you little fucknuggets!

Anyway, on to the game. Nice to some of the young lads take to the game well and see out a comfortable win and keep the season alive! Fair play to the new lad at the back too - towering big bloke but looked decent on the ball and very calm and collected. Fair enough it was only Pompey but first proper game in English football under the lights with the local Neanderthals giving it their all - thought he coped well and Luiz played well alongside him.

"Mike Dean, Mike Dean you're a c***", turning into "Mike Dean, Mike Dean you're a nonce" was another highlight of the evening. The jumped up fucker really doesn't like us does he?

Wemb-er-ley......Wemb-er-ley......... :barscarf: :barscarf:

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

I love it when SteveO is in a positive happy mood!!!

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:07 am
augie wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:43 pm
I swear to jesus the hypocrisy on here sometimes is amusing - from my recollections, mari is the ONLY player that hasn't been slated on here tonight, and yet I am labelled as negative :lol:
I didnt see the game so I am not questioning anyone's judgement on their performances, but if myself or a few other individuals criticised them like that, we would be wisely lambasted. Several have complained about arteta's team selection and the all round team display, but if we state that any improvements under arteta have been slight, we get rounded on by a lynching mob :roll:
Again from what you all say, tonight was another poor performance to add to the palace, burnley, Sheffield utd, dirty leeds and Bournemouth games
I think what you need to consider augie old chap is that some of us won't just blindly follow an agenda. Why should we pretend that Arteta got everything right if he didn't? Just to back up our argument that some things have improved slightly under him? That's not hypocritical it's just a reasoned balanced honest viewpoint.

Do I think Arteta has improved us slightly in defence? Yes. Do I think he was the best choice as manager? No. Do I think he gets everything right? No. It does not invalidate my viewpoint by admitting he has got some things right and some things wrong.

This is similar to the silly fucking nonsense we see on here where a couple of posters are so invested in their anti-Wenger personas they can't bring themselves to admit he was a brilliant manager in his first decade with us - when they would have loved him during that time. Admitting he was a great manager in that first decade does not invalidate the view that he was complete shit for the majority of the second decade. And yet some can't do that.

Now THAT is hypocrisy.

You are being very selective there buddy and you know it - my issue isn't with the posters who claim that we have seen marginal improvements in some area's, but is with those who keep trying to talk up the improvements beyond the reality of what we are seeing. A lot of the time the players are working harder, but some of the time the players revert to what we have seen frequently over the past few years where they don't bother at all and don't seem to give a flying fcuk. The results and overall performances have been nowhere near good enough - I accepted the performance against the chavs at home even though we got a runaround for the last hour of that match, cos I accepted the fact that we were playing a chav team riding high at that time, but the performances against teams near the bottom of the league have been nowhere near good enough, and if saying that means that I have an agenda then so be it

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:44 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:37 pm
Good news on Torreira it seems :barscarf:
No disrespect for the the little fella but he's soft as shit, every soft tackle he rolls around like he's been shot and one hard one and he was begging to be subbed, soft as shit.

He is not the answer to our ball winning midfield and I've said that since day dot, no wonder the managers don't pick him.

The only injury a scan would reveal is a split fanny ffs.
Spot on. He sometimes looks effective in the side because we have nobody else with his kind of game but he is way too soft.

The guy should be playing U15 football somewhere :rubchin:

Clash

Post by Clash »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:09 pm
Jesus Christ I forgot how much I hate Portsmouth and their fucking hysterical constant droning shit singing. It's not an atmosphere it's just a tedious fucking drone. :roll: :censored:
Well said mate, I'm glad someone pointed this out!

I couldnt post during the game but that ''atmosphere'' was driving me mad - a bit like those Greek fans we're all expected to admire so much :roll:

Atmosphere to me is about giving the team energy, roaring the players on as they drive forward, cheering every tackle and encouraging the whole team to get stuck in, intimidating the ref and just giving everyone that feeling that we're all on the same side etc.

It is NOT banging some fucking drum and singing the same song for 15 minutes regardless of whats happening on the pitch. Save the jolly sing songs for the pub or the concourse! How can that inspire players to perform? For all their famed atmosphere, the home records of teams like Portsmouth and Palace are shite so they're not exactly intimidating places to visit!

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

There's no way Arteta thinks Sokrites is a better option at RB than AMN, but as was widely suspected and now been confirmed by the manager, his attitude is being called into question ( and not for the first time either) so he's not being selected. Supposedly he's said he doesn't want to play right back anymore and he's paying the price for that as well as not doing it in training.

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

Clash wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:44 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Jesus Christ I forgot how much I hate Portsmouth and their fucking hysterical constant droning shit singing. It's not an atmosphere it's just a tedious fucking drone. :roll: :censored:
Atmosphere to me is about giving the team energy, roaring the players on as they drive forward, cheering every tackle and encouraging the whole team to get stuck in, intimidating the ref and just giving everyone that feeling that we're all on the same side etc.
So basically what happens in England - abuse the ref, get happy for a corner and start shouting when the team moves forward or brings a tackle :lol: :lol: :lol:

An atmosphere is what German teams bring to the table as well as Olympiacos/Galatasaray/Red Star and teams of that sort. Even the bottom of the table Panderborn from Bundesliga and Cologne from Bundesliga 2 have a better away atmosphere than 90% of PL teams.

None of what English teams bring is close to the aforementioned.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Rian1 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:09 pm
Clash wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
So basically what happens in England - abuse the ref, get happy for a corner and start shouting when the team moves forward or brings a tackle :lol: :lol: :lol:

An atmosphere is what German teams bring to the table as well as Olympiacos/Galatasaray/Red Star and teams of that sort. Even the bottom of the table Panderborn from Bundesliga and Cologne from Bundesliga 2 have a better away atmosphere than 90% of PL teams.

Ah yes mate but I try not to confuse noise for atmosphere if it’s just noise that is being made for the sake of it.

Most of what the Greek, Turkish fans produce is pointless in terms of helping their team win games and its monotonous to listen to. They’re almost just amusing themselves. Didn’t Galatasaray fans used to get in and start singing 4 hours before kick off or something?

We could learn some things from German football in the way they value the fans more over there but their atmosphere’s are still a bit too contrived for my liking.

English football has been sanitised in many ways so I am not making a case for there being great atmosphere’s here anymore ... but IMO at its best (which is admittedly mostly in the past) the British atmosphere was always the best because it reacted to what was happening on the pitch and it influenced what was happening on the pitch.

It was far more than just a backdrop of pre-rehearsed hand clapping, flag/scarf waving or being led by someone at the front with a megaphone to sing on cue!

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Rian1 wrote:
Clash wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

The authorities managed to kill off the atmosphere that used to exist when they did away with terraces. Now we are forced to sit to watch football and they wonder why the atmosphere at most PL grounds is shit. Mind you I'd rather have a shit atmosphere than a manufactured happy clappy Leicester style one. Some cu.nt next to me with a set of clappers, drum or a vuvuzela would finish football for me completely....well I'd probably end up with a ban after shoving the drum down their throat.

We are ripped off from start to finish when it comes to football in this country and to add insult to injury, after paying the highest prices in Europe - the Germans pay half of what we do and that includes Bayern - we usually end up watching a pile of shite these days. Football in this country chose money over atmosphere a long time ago so the majority of those who used to contribute thought bollocks to this and fu.cked off. Funnily enough all the new fans who wanted onto the footy bandwagon brought nothing to it. We have been well and truly gentrified so that's that I'm afraid. You'll get the odd game when it happens but not very often.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:35 pm
Rian1 wrote:
Clash wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

The authorities managed to kill off the atmosphere that used to exist when they did away with terraces. Now we are forced to sit to watch football and they wonder why the atmosphere at most PL grounds is shit. Mind you I'd rather have a shit atmosphere than a manufactured happy clappy Leicester style one. Some cu.nt next to me with a set of clappers, drum or a vuvuzela would finish football for me completely....well I'd probably end up with a ban after shoving the drum down their throat.

We are ripped off from start to finish when it comes to football in this country and to add insult to injury, after paying the highest prices in Europe - the Germans pay half of what we do and that includes Bayern - we usually end up watching a pile of shite these days. Football in this country chose money over atmosphere a long time ago so the majority of those who used to contribute thought bollocks to this and fu.cked off. Funnily enough all the new fans who wanted onto the footy bandwagon brought nothing to it. We have been well and truly gentrified so that's that I'm afraid. You'll get the odd game when it happens but not very often.
Great post Jock.

Agree with every word of that mate, well said 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clash wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:28 pm
Rian1 wrote:
Clash wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Ah yes mate but I try not to confuse noise for atmosphere if it’s just noise that is being made for the sake of it.

Most of what the Greek, Turkish fans produce is pointless in terms of helping their team win games and its monotonous to listen to. They’re almost just amusing themselves. Didn’t Galatasaray fans used to get in and start singing 4 hours before kick off or something?

We could learn some things from German football in the way they value the fans more over there but their atmosphere’s are still a bit too contrived for my liking.

English football has been sanitised in many ways so I am not making a case for there being great atmosphere’s here anymore ... but IMO at its best (which is admittedly mostly in the past) the British atmosphere was always the best because it reacted to what was happening on the pitch and it influenced what was happening on the pitch.

It was far more than just a backdrop of pre-rehearsed hand clapping, flag/scarf waving or being led by someone at the front with a megaphone to sing on cue!
Agreed 100% mate. Bang on the money. Every word. 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:02 am
rodders999 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:01 am
Augie you haven’t just rocked up in here, read the match comments and turned this into a persecution complex have ya?

:lol:

90% of what’s written on the internet is negative, isn’t that the whole point of it :wink:

(Hit me up in my DM’s for some smoking hot links to 90% of what’s viewed on it BTW).

I think you’re dislike for Arteta is ruining your enjoyment of things. I mean if you can’t enjoy the wins you’re gonna be fucking suicidal after the defeats.

9 changes from the other night, 6 lads from the academy getting game time, a clean sheet and into the quarter final.

Besides Mike Dean (dickhead), I enjoyed it anyway.

My comments are not persecution based at all

I honestly don't mind disagreements with most people on here so that isn't what it is about at all - my point was that people need to step back and actually read what they are saying and then tell me how it is any different than what I have been saying all along whenI am accused of having an agenda.
My comments were not slating arteta per se - I made the point that we will not see a whole lot of improvement because we are using players like xhaka, ozil and mustafi, so instead of lauding imaginary improvements we need to accept where we are with these players and stop looking for improvements that (mostly) are not there.
For the record I 90% back the team selection last night and wont have a got at him over it - I am not happy with his treatment of maitland-niles at all if I'm honest, cos I think that playing sokratis (or any of our centre backs) is a massive slap in the face for him. It seems that in arteta's eyes luiz is indispensable cos he plays every game regardless, whilst I would have played sokratis in there in his proper position and played maitland-niles at right full. That aside I am by and large on board with his outfield team selection (keeper I'm not sure on) - again I am consistant with what I said about the other games I listed in my prior post, in that we had a good enough line up to win that game easier, so the issues lie elsewhere
From what Arteta has said it seems AM-N needed to be brought down a peg or two. Typical of many of his generation I get the feeling he has a sense of entitlement that if not checked now will see him spend most of his career at Palace.

augie

Post by augie »

I can accept a manager taking issue with a players attitude and reprimand him over it, but I don't agree with how far he is taking it - for recent league games he has either remained on the bench throughout, or not even made the matchday squad once or twice. This is ok with me, but games like last night you have to play him or you lose him forever - you punish him in the league games and give him a taster for what he is missing in last nights game, to see if the player decides to knuckle down cos he wants to play more, cos at the moment he is being almost completely shut out.
My second issue would be that the manager is trying to show his bollocks by hammering the younger players, but at the same time being an absolute pussy with the senior players - that is not a big step from making him a cowardly bully :roll: :roll: Take on the under-performing senior players and clamp down on them and you send a message to every player in the club that this manager doesnt give a fcuk who you are or what you are earning, cos if you dont meet his demands you are in trouble - welcoming back players who have caused trouble behind the scenes this season, and in the process demoting those young players who had been trying to keep the club on track during that time, does not give the younger players the right message imo