Pompey (A) FA CUP 02/03 @ 19:45

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

Re: Pompey (A) FA CUP 02/03 @ 19:45

Post by SteveO 35 »

Maitland Niles is an absolute clusterfuck of a right back which is why I was adamant that signing a RB should have been priority number 1 at the start of the season. Ballerina is an injury prone converted winger who could never defend or cross a ball anyway (and now seems to be paceless too). We let Jenko and Lichsteiner go on the basis of being not good enough ever and too old........then we signed nobody! Dick's biggest mistake of his reign

Absolutely no issue with him dropping AMN or fucking him off altogether if he can't raise his game. The rare occasions he's been given a go in midfield he's been fucking awful there too, so let him go if he really wants

If Cedric isn't the answer then we need to find someone who is, otherwise that side of the field will still have that gaping hole for another year

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:07 pm
Maitland Niles is an absolute clusterfuck of a right back which is why I was adamant that signing a RB should have been priority number 1 at the start of the season. Ballerina is an injury prone converted winger who could never defend or cross a ball anyway (and now seems to be paceless too). We let Jenko and Lichsteiner go on the basis of being not good enough ever and too old........then we signed nobody! Dick's biggest mistake of his reign

Absolutely no issue with him dropping AMN or fucking him off altogether if he can't raise his game. The rare occasions he's been given a go in midfield he's been fucking awful there too, so let him go if he really wants

If Cedric isn't the answer then we need to find someone who is, otherwise that side of the field will still have that gaping hole for another year

Maitland-Niles isn't good enough at right back for the level we need to be at, BUT he is a much better fit at right full than sokratis,

Secondly people seem to forget that he showed a great deal of potential playing in centre midfield earlier in his career, and now he is viewed as a "not good enough right back" - for that reason I understand why he wants to revert to central midfield where he is most comfortable, cos his career is slowly drifting down the shitter as he plays out of position. Is he good enough to play central midfield for us ……… I don't know tbh, but I would certainly support playing him there ahead of Willock and xhaka, and maybe then we will get enough of a sample size to see if he is good enough to play at a club of this level.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

:barscarf: BBC Highlights :barscarf:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/51714662

Mike Dean what a CEEEUUUNNNTTT! :box:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:07 am
augie wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:43 pm
I swear to jesus the hypocrisy on here sometimes is amusing - from my recollections, mari is the ONLY player that hasn't been slated on here tonight, and yet I am labelled as negative :lol:
I didnt see the game so I am not questioning anyone's judgement on their performances, but if myself or a few other individuals criticised them like that, we would be wisely lambasted. Several have complained about arteta's team selection and the all round team display, but if we state that any improvements under arteta have been slight, we get rounded on by a lynching mob :roll:
Again from what you all say, tonight was another poor performance to add to the palace, burnley, Sheffield utd, dirty leeds and Bournemouth games
I think what you need to consider augie old chap is that some of us won't just blindly follow an agenda. Why should we pretend that Arteta got everything right if he didn't? Just to back up our argument that some things have improved slightly under him? That's not hypocritical it's just a reasoned balanced honest viewpoint.

Do I think Arteta has improved us slightly in defence? Yes. Do I think he was the best choice as manager? No. Do I think he gets everything right? No. It does not invalidate my viewpoint by admitting he has got some things right and some things wrong.

This is similar to the silly fucking nonsense we see on here where a couple of posters are so invested in their anti-Wenger personas they can't bring themselves to admit he was a brilliant manager in his first decade with us - when they would have loved him during that time. Admitting he was a great manager in that first decade does not invalidate the view that he was complete shit for the majority of the second decade. And yet some can't do that.

Now THAT is hypocrisy.
Top post 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

When is the draw for the Q.Finals lads? :?

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

AMN is a dreadful right back. He will never hack it at this level, even if he is played where he wants.

To be honest I’d take Sokratis over him at RB; and he is an awful option there.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:39 pm
Tomorrow night after the Sheffield Wednesday v Manchester City game.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Good win for the club. Yes, it was only league 1 (division 3) Portsmouth but it could've have been a tricky one given their home form this season. Loved the way we just controlled the second half. A bit boring but so effective. Could've done with that against olympiacos from the clubs "superstar" big earners.
Slightly confused over the support for AMN on here. He's mostly been labelled shit and shouldn't play for the club again, yet when the manager calls him out, he gets everyone's backing. Personally, I thought he was doing a great job as a covering RB. He's certainly a talent.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:07 pm
Good win for the club. Yes, it was only league 1 (division 3) Portsmouth but it could've have been a tricky one given their home form this season. Loved the way we just controlled the second half. A bit boring but so effective. Could've done with that against olympiacos from the clubs "superstar" big earners.
Slightly confused over the support for AMN on here. He's mostly been labelled shit and shouldn't play for the club again, yet when the manager calls him out, he gets everyone's backing. Personally, I thought he was doing a great job as a covering RB. He's certainly a talent.

I THINK, and I could be wrong here, but I think that I was the only one backing maitland-niles :( As I said previously, I dont know yet if he is good enough to play for AFC, but I sure as shit would like to see him given a chance in his proper position before discarding him as trash. I will say though that he should be willing to play right full if we need him to fill in - he would be entitled to question if the manager (whoever that manager is) is going to give him a chance in the centre midfield spot in the near future, and if the answer is no then he should look to leave in the summer

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

augie wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:06 pm
Nos89 wrote:

I THINK, and I could be wrong here, but I think that I was the only one backing maitland-niles :( As I said previously, I dont know yet if he is good enough to play for AFC, but I sure as shit would like to see him given a chance in his proper position before discarding him as trash. I will say though that he should be willing to play right full if we need him to fill in - he would be entitled to question if the manager (whoever that manager is) is going to give him a chance in the centre midfield spot in the near future, and if the answer is no then he should look to leave in the summer

I've been fairly neutral about AMN as I think he has lagely done an ok job while playing out of position. He hasn't really offered much else as a RB in the way that say Saka has managed to do under the same circumstances in a short space of time though. I can't remember which game it was at home last year when he got a move into midfield but he played reasonably well for the short period he was in there before another injury/sub in the match forced him back to RB. I can only guess that UE and MA have had a look at him in midfield during training and haven't been convinced by him.

Given the various issues and problems we already have, I don't see a guy with a decent amount of PL experience being an overly pressing matter at this time. I'm sure that the coaching staff are capable enough to straighten him out if that needs doing. Certainly agree that I would ike to see him given a proper chance in midfield.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Bradywasking wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:56 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:39 pm
Tomorrow night after the Sheffield Wednesday v Manchester City game.

Cheers mate. :barscarf: #COYG :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I certainly never backed AM-N as I think he is complete shit. He's way out of his league (sic) in the PL.

With some young players you see a spark of raw talent and you accept they are currently shit or inexperienced and may come good. With others you see nothing in their game to indicate this.

I place AM-N in the same category as I correctly placed Comedy Eboue, Bendtner, Comedy Iwobi, JET, Song and Legohead Denilson - utter gash.

I don't rate Willock at all but he has 100% more chance of making it at the top level than AM-N.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Having said that I've nothing against the lad and would love to see him come good at the Arsenal (obviously). He's not a bullshitter the way Comedy Iwobi was, he is just not at the required level psychologically or technically.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Away to Sheff Utd is our reward :roll:

Arteta will have to have them up for that .

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:06 pm
Nos89 wrote:

I've always backed him, even at RB. I've compared him to michael thomas in the past, who cut his teeth playing RB for a couple of season, was branded as not good enough then had 3 great seasons in his preferred midfield role before being shipped out by Graham in his quest for european glory. AMN is a talent and that is why he got through to the first team in an unfamiliar role. Although, he hasn't got the same engine as willock, (or thomas to carry on that comparison). I still would like him to make it as regular but he has to settle for a squad place and then find a way of working his way into the first team. He's been offered a short cut into the first team and turned his nose up at it. If that's his attitude he is not doing his talent justice. I'd have ahead of xhaka in the midfield if he had the right attitude. But then, I'd have Mustafi ahead of xhaka in midfield, so I guess it's not saying a lot. With Torreira injured he has to look at this as his opportunity to play in his best position, as a sub.