other matches this weekend

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Gunner Rob

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by Gunner Rob »

Clash wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:42 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:45 pm
If Ancelotti is going to be a big success at Everton then he faces the sort of challenge that has faced Dick/Freddie/Arteta in terms of big match mentality - probably the only team ahead of us that I would confidently predict to get rolled over whenever they go to one of the top six clubs. Absolutely shocking big match away record, and making the Chavs look like Brazil 82 already :banghead:
Nice to see someone use Brazil 82 instead of Brazil 70.

I wasnt born in 1970 but that 1982 side are still the team I am most in awe of and that world cup is still the best one Ive seen. Football had more of an aura back then but it was a lesson early in life that cynical sides with more nous like Italy will often triumph over more talented opponents. Although if Brazil's main striker Reinaldo (sp?) hadnt been injured before the tournament and replaced by the average Serginho then they might have won it.
Socrates, Eder, Falcao....even though I was young i still remember that team more than any other Brazil side.
just 24 sides as well that World Cup - now that was a PROPER tournament 8)

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:50 pm
Clash wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
If Ancelotti is going to be a big success at Everton then he faces the sort of challenge that has faced Dick/Freddie/Arteta in terms of big match mentality - probably the only team ahead of us that I would confidently predict to get rolled over whenever they go to one of the top six clubs. Absolutely shocking big match away record, and making the Chavs look like Brazil 82 already :banghead:

I wasnt born in 1970 but that 1982 side are still the team I am most in awe of and that world cup is still the best one Ive seen. Football had more of an aura back then but it was a lesson early in life that cynical sides with more nous like Italy will often triumph over more talented opponents. Although if Brazil's main striker Reinaldo (sp?) hadnt been injured before the tournament and replaced by the average Serginho then they might have won it.
Socrates, Eder, Falcao....even though I was young i still remember that team more than any other Brazil side.
Best World Cup that I can remember was that one in 1982, I was seven in 1970 so I can remember that World Cup vaguely . Brazil were majestic , but came unstuck against the brilliant Italy in a game for the ages. Germany were cynical and their keeper Schumacher left a stain on the tournament. But France were the revelation..That semi final heartbreak against Germany was felt beyond France mainly because of Schumacher's assault on Battison.
Tardelli's celebration of his goal in the final is an iconic image..And England could have got to the final at least..Two big misses from Keegan and Brooking against Spain cost them a semi final place I think.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Villa getting a proper turdholing at Leicester

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

falkirk goon wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:43 pm
Villa getting a proper turdholing at Leicester
Weekend is over mate, best start a new thread :evil:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

How can the FA go ahead with the friendly against Italy when half of Italy is in lockdown and have banned supporters from attending Serie A matches? They are a money grabbing disgrace.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:08 am
How can the FA go ahead with the friendly against Italy when half of Italy is in lockdown and have banned supporters from attending Serie A matches? They are a money grabbing disgrace.
It won’t go ahead.
By the time we get to that match all football here in the UK will be behind closed doors at best.

All of italy is now locked down and all sport banned for foreseeable future.
They have also banned funerals, weddings.
All bars have even shut down.

That will be us next month - going to be grim as fuck

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:43 am
Nos89 wrote:
It won’t go ahead.
By the time we get to that match all football here in the UK will be behind closed doors at best.

I blame Brexit. :lol: :wink:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Bradywasking wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:58 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Clash wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Best World Cup that I can remember was that one in 1982, I was seven in 1970 so I can remember that World Cup vaguely . Brazil were majestic , but came unstuck against the brilliant Italy in a game for the ages. Germany were cynical and their keeper Schumacher left a stain on the tournament. But France were the revelation..That semi final heartbreak against Germany was felt beyond France mainly because of Schumacher's assault on Battison.
Tardelli's celebration of his goal in the final is an iconic image..And England could have got to the final at least..Two big misses from Keegan and Brooking against Spain cost them a semi final place I think.
All of that - plus the best England shirt in a lifetime. The only Ingerlund shirt I possess that 1982 retro vintage !

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:43 am
Nos89 wrote:
It won’t go ahead.

Fuckin hell rob, are you head of light entertainment on the BBC or something :? :lol:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

sorry for the doom and gloom but i don't understand the laid back attitude of many here - this is an out of control virus with no cure and it is not the flu!!

yes mainly it will kill off the oldies but there are otherwise fit and healthy young men in Italy currently in intensive care with this.
I have seen some of the planning in the UK for this and it is not good...ok better shut up now.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:45 am
sorry for the doom and gloom but i don't understand the laid back attitude of many here - this is an out of control virus with no cure and it is not the flu!!

yes mainly it will kill off the oldies but there are otherwise fit and healthy young men in Italy currently in intensive care with this.
I have seen some of the planning in the UK for this and it is not good...ok better shut up now.
Most of the top leagues are now playing games behind closed doors.

The PL will wait until Liverpool win it before making a decision

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:56 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:45 am

Most of the top leagues are now playing games behind closed doors.

The PL will wait until Liverpool win it before making a decision
Liverpool FC - proudly killing people since 1985

Clash

Post by Clash »

Bradywasking wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:58 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Clash wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Nice post BWK and interesting to hear you say that as someone who remembers both tournaments because I sometimes wonder if '82 is my favourite just because it was the first one I watched.

Those names Rob mentioned plus the likes of Zico too of course just sound magical. And yes France in 82 were a very good team. They won the euros 2 years later of course but England beat them 3-1 in the first game so we certainly had a good side too.

And as Rob pointed out it was only a 24 team tournament then too so maybe the quality was higher overall. The 1970s are painted as a failure for England because we didnt get to the 74 or 78 WC but I think those tournaments were for as few as 16 teams.

England missed out on the 1974 WC despite playing Poland off the pitch at Wembley in 73. Poland were Olympic champions from 72 and went on to the the Semi Final in 74 so they were a good side. And in 1977 England lost out to Italy (who went on to do well in Argentina) on goal difference. Maybe not good enough but definitely not the failure its made out to be.

People sometimes forget how much harder it used to be to qualify for world cups and Euros. Sadly now I couldn't give a damn for the most part! Is it 48 teams going to Qatar? :roll: :roll:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

48 teams will definitely kill the World Cup.

you have to then ask what is the point of the bigger nations going through a qualifying stage.

a shame - what used to be such a great event has gradually been destroyed by greed.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:24 pm
48 teams will definitely kill the World Cup.

you have to then ask what is the point of the bigger nations going through a qualifying stage.

a shame - what used to be such a great event has gradually been destroyed by greed.
I was wrong its 32 teams but that's still far too many.

But you're right its definitely been ruined by greed. We only have to look who's hosting it next time to see that :roll: