CoronaVirus / Adolf Putin / The Apocalypse etc

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: CoronaVirus Latest

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nick Bendtners Ego wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:36 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:25 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:02 am
Any update on DB10?

Hope he's recovering well
Cheers buddy and big congrats on the new baby!

I'm feeling a lot better. Cough gone, fever gone, throat still a tad sore but bearable, and the shallow breathing is improving with a course of steroids and antibiotics.

Finally got tested last Thursday and just waiting for the results. The whole process is a bit of a mess tbh. First they were sending a team to my house. Then they texted me from one of those automated ticketing services telling me to go to a health centre giving me about 30 minutes to make a one hour journey. No contact number provided. I spent about 4 hours on the phone getting transfered around various health service departments and my GP with no one knowing who I needed to reschedule with. Finally by luck I got through to a public health team and got rescheduled. I understand the demand for testing is unprecedented and the front line staff are under huge pressure but its a complete mess of a system.

The test is a bit unpleasant. They swab the back of your throat (I gagged - rodders would have been ok :wink: ) and they swab up your nose right into the sinus. That was really uncomfortable.

Fingers crossed on a negative so I can get back to work. Although even that might end up being from home the way things are going.

Anyhoo hope you are all OK Gooners and stay healthy. 8)
Great to hear you're on the mend DB10! That's what you get for swallowing that big bird's tongue from the office that you speak of :wink: Hope the clan are safe and well also. Feck rushing back to work man, take a deep breath and enjoy it all as could have been worse. Work will still be there in a week or a month for ya.

P. S if you need any Milk, lube or anal beads dropped to the door we'll sort it for you! :wink:
Cheers. And giggity. :) :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Andrew wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:40 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:25 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:02 am
Any update on DB10?

Hope he's recovering well
Cheers buddy and big congrats on the new baby!

I'm feeling a lot better. Cough gone, fever gone, throat still a tad sore but bearable, and the shallow breathing is improving with a course of steroids and antibiotics.

Finally got tested last Thursday and just waiting for the results. The whole process is a bit of a mess tbh. First they were sending a team to my house. Then they texted me from one of those automated ticketing services telling me to go to a health centre giving me about 30 minutes to make a one hour journey. No contact number provided. I spent about 4 hours on the phone getting transfered around various health service departments and my GP with no one knowing who I needed to reschedule with. Finally by luck I got through to a public health team and got rescheduled. I understand the demand for testing is unprecedented and the front line staff are under huge pressure but its a complete mess of a system.

The test is a bit unpleasant. They swab the back of your throat (I gagged - rodders would have been ok :wink: ) and they swab up your nose right into the sinus. That was really uncomfortable.

Fingers crossed on a negative so I can get back to work. Although even that might end up being from home the way things are going.

Anyhoo hope you are all OK Gooners and stay healthy. 8)
If you can't go back to work will you be able to manage financially, or will it leave you a bit short?

:rubchin:

[Sorry, i know I'm not in the elite but once I thought about it I couldn't help myself - like the bishop with the actress. Glad to hear that you're on the mend.]
:lol: :lol:

You are now mate! :D :wink:

Herd

Post by Herd »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:27 am
Good news (Hopefully) DB! :high5: .

Hang in there NutFlush - Maybe start writing that book you always meant to get around to doing? :wink:

Rodders would have swallowed the swab and the hand attached to the end of it! :lol:

Something from the Good Old(ish) days

Boro vs THE Arsenal 98 / 99 season (I'm sure I can see Herd in the crowd in the opening 30 seconds or so!) :?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSOAwRTA2fE
Cheeky boy I was at the game but was in the home section.
One of my old industry buddies was a director of a shipping agency on Teesside and they had 4 season tickets. The smoggies were not amused at all ,and me bieng me they had their noses rubbed in it.
Just shows you how good Anelka was ,shame he didn't stay,him and Henry would have ripped the league apart for years. Brian Robson fucking hates us with a passion.

Herd

Post by Herd »

The so called lockdown is a joke , theres a building site next to me building luxury apartments . All day there are deliveries arriving . None of them with masks or gloves . Our Hosptals are so short of protective equipment that many will fall I'll. Their children are at school they will get infected . What's the fucking point ?

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

Herd wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:11 pm
The so called lockdown is a joke , theres a building site next to me building luxury apartments . All day there are deliveries arriving . None of them with masks or gloves . Our Hosptals are so short of protective equipment that many will fall I'll. Their children are at school they will get infected . What's the fucking point ?
Spot on Herd. Currently working on social housing refurbs and none of it is essential and can’t be put on hold. But we are being told to carry on and observe the 2m rule (joke!). And not everyone is the most hygienic. Govt statement was NOT enough. Companies are interpreting it to suit their own means and putting lives at risk. Hopefully we’ll hear about the help for the self-employed soon.
Stay safe everyone.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

I put a message on here that I strongly suspected that my daugher had caught the virus in Paris over the New Year and somebody else posted at that time that they felt they had also had it earlier than the first reported UK cases.

A study by the boffins at Oxford Uni reckons that Corona was here by Mid Jan at the latest. Knowing what a lying bunch of cu.nts the Chinese are and what an incompetent shower of wan.kers most governments are, my money is on the boffins being right.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11249302/ ... g-january/

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:06 pm
I put a message on here that I strongly suspected that my daugher had caught the virus in Paris over the New Year and somebody else posted at that time that they felt they had also had it earlier than the first reported UK cases.

A study by the boffins at Oxford Uni reckons that Corona was here by Mid Jan at the latest. Knowing what a lying bunch of cu.nts the Chinese are and what an incompetent shower of wan.kers most governments are, my money is on the boffins being right.

I mentioned before that my brother had all the symptoms back in the first week of Jan.

It has been in Ireland since Christmas. Everyone saying There's a bad flu going around and that was it. It just didn't have a name

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Can anyone make a case as to why a sky installer and someone else who works in insurance are considered “key workers” and therefore made to still go to work ?

In the case of the sky installer he’s actually working inside peoples houses - absolute Madness.

Lock yourself away, they won’t be happy till we all get the “Chinese virus”

I’m lucky, I live in my own, work on my own , can work of sorts from home and will still be paid my normal wage (I’m assuming)

Stay safe, look after yourselves and your families and keep away from the idiots, selfish arseholes !

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:29 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:06 pm

I mentioned before that my brother had all the symptoms back in the first week of Jan.

It has been in Ireland since Christmas. Everyone saying There's a bad flu going around and that was it. It just didn't have a name

Ah sorry it was your brother not you. I guess this just goes to show how important testing is as both the UK and Ireland could be further into this shit than the offical figures suggest. Then again hospitals would surely have seen a rise in admissions which hasn't been confirmed (or denied). Seems a bit shortsighted that there hasn't been a request from local healthcare to try and establish what people were experiencing before the virus was named. Mind you I guess they would be inundated by hypochondriacs with colds.......that reminds me how are you DB....feeling better mate :wink:

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

Please sign this petition to ensure self-employed people get the same help as PAYE. Thanks all.
Just copy and paste into your browser. Looks like something may be done this week but we need to make sure.

https://www.change.org/p/self-employed- ... his-crisis

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

My missus had a dry persistent cough for about 3 weeks around the end of January, bet that’s what it was!

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

Well this is all fucking shite. Feels like we're in a film but as extras doing fuck all except sitting around waiting to see what happens and waiting to take our chances with the little bastard while all the action gets played out behind the corridors of power. I'm sure if you're a politician or a scientist though it's what dreams are made of.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

StuartL wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:09 pm
Can anyone make a case as to why a sky installer and someone else who works in insurance are considered “key workers” and therefore made to still go to work ?

In the case of the sky installer he’s actually working inside peoples houses - absolute Madness.

Lock yourself away, they won’t be happy till we all get the “Chinese virus”

I’m lucky, I live in my own, work on my own , can work of sorts from home and will still be paid my normal wage (I’m assuming)

Stay safe, look after yourselves and your families and keep away from the idiots, selfish arseholes !
I'm a manager for a utility company , we install smart meters so obviously the same situation as the sky guy, we have stopped all non emergency work now and we are all furloughed apart form 60 engineers nationwide for emergencies as from Monday.
Sky engineers will be seen as essential for broadband though for people working from home.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I dont get the dozy fuckers in the media complaining about the lack of PPE or testing kits, the scale of this thing is unprecedented and no government, procurement department or logistic chain in the world was prepared for this eventuality. Every country in the world right now is trying to get their hands on the same things and there is no way manufacturers can step up production in the short term to meet demand on the scale required.

Its utterly shit we're in this mess but the massive media hype and sensationalism is not helping at all, yes people got it wrong but saying I told you so 200 times a day doesn't improve things and just creates more pressure on those who are actually trying to sort things out. Inevitably more poor fuckers are going to die but to insinuate that their deaths are avoidable somehow is to totally misunderstand what we are dealing with. Italy and Spain went into lock down early but are experiencing high numbers of deaths Germany were later but have as yet have nowhere near the number of their fatalities, is there a major difference in preparedness, ability, training of their medical services? Is it down to different social factors, economy or what?

I spoke with my mates wife who is the virologist on Tuesday and she still adamantly believes there is something odd about this virus, its acting like both an RNA and a DNA virus at the same time. China lied through their teeth about this and it is costing many lives, I hope their government is somehow or other eventually held accountable although I am doubtful :rubchin:

augie

Post by augie »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:04 am
I dont get the dozy fuckers in the media complaining about the lack of PPE or testing kits, the scale of this thing is unprecedented and no government, procurement department or logistic chain in the world was prepared for this eventuality. Every country in the world right now is trying to get their hands on the same things and there is no way manufacturers can step up production in the short term to meet demand on the scale required.

Its utterly shit we're in this mess but the massive media hype and sensationalism is not helping at all, yes people got it wrong but saying I told you so 200 times a day doesn't improve things and just creates more pressure on those who are actually trying to sort things out. Inevitably more poor fuckers are going to die but to insinuate that their deaths are avoidable somehow is to totally misunderstand what we are dealing with. Italy and Spain went into lock down early but are experiencing high numbers of deaths Germany were later but have as yet have nowhere near the number of their fatalities, is there a major difference in preparedness, ability, training of their medical services? Is it down to different social factors, economy or what?

I spoke with my mates wife who is the virologist on Tuesday and she still adamantly believes there is something odd about this virus, its acting like both an RNA and a DNA virus at the same time. China lied through their teeth about this and it is costing many lives, I hope their government is somehow or other eventually held accountable although I am doubtful :rubchin:

I'll give you my opinions on the above -

1. There is an Italian chip shop beside us and I spoke to the son (early 20s) when it was just starting to breakout in Italy and I asked him if it was anywhere near where his mother and father were from - in the midst of the conversation he told me that there are a large number of Chinese people and businesses (restuarants and clothes shops) in Italy and that Chinese people were continuing to flow into Italy unchecked off the boats even at that time. I really don't give a flying if I am labelled as racist again for saying this, but even if you don't shut your borders straight away, you surely stop people flowing into your country from the place where the virus was created and at it's most rampant (at that time). It should also be acknowledged again that the Italians are very much a touchy feely race of people, and all this kiss kiss greetings amongst themselves would certainly have helped the virus spread.

2. By all accounts germany has the highest number of hospitals to population ratio in Europe - it is also said that they hospitalised people much, much earlier to limit the community spread of the virus. Lastly, whether we like to admit it or not, the german people and mentality is like a machine - in most situations the efficiency and compliance of the german people would put Ireland and the uk to shame. Over in our countries there has been an attitude of dismissiveness about the virus, whilst their government and people gave the virus the respect it deserved quicker.

3. I believe that this virus is man made - maybe I watched 24 (with jack bauer) for too long, but I certainly believe that on occasions governments will allow/encourage bad things to happen, with selfish motives in mind. When this virus began to break out first, the eyes of the world were watching china and their treatment of hong kong protestors, and china did not like their world watching and interfering in their business - is it coincidence that this outbreak came at the right time to divert peoples focus from hong kong ? Maybe it is just a coincidence on that point, but I still believe that this virus was man made and purposely released