Double 70/71 - lucky or awesome?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Nos89

Double 70/71 - lucky or awesome?

Post by Nos89 »

During this time when nothing else is happening with football, I've been watching some old classic matches from the late 1960's to early 1970's. There were some great teams around and the football was top quality. Amongst these great teams only one team completed a league and cup double, The Arsenal. They were a ball playing team and achieved something that no other team were able to in a golden age of football. There was Don Revie's "dirty" Leeds, who were a brilliant football playing team, Shankly's Liverpool, Busby's Manchester United, absolute legendary managers with equally legendary teams. Amongst this Bertie Mee's Arsenal were the only team to complete a domestic double. The League Cup was considered just as irrelevant then as it is now, if not more so.
When you consider that since the premier league started in 1992, the domestic double has been completed 7 times by 4 teams should put The Arsenal achievement in '71 ahead of everything else.
Or did we get lucky with it being a post world cup '70 season, and the great Leeds (won the Fairs Cup), Liverpool and Manure, possibly include Chelsea, (who won the CWC in '71) in that era of teams ,were off the boil? A bit like Leicester in 2016.

A11M11

Re: Double 70/71 - lucky or awesome?

Post by A11M11 »

GK 1 Scotland Bob Wilson
RB 2 Northern Ireland Pat Rice
LB 3 England Bob McNab
RM 4 England Peter Storey Substituted off 64'
CB 5 Scotland Frank McLintock (c)
CB 6 England Peter Simpson
LM 7 England George Armstrong
CM 8 Scotland George Graham
ST 9 England John Radford
ST 10 England Ray Kennedy
CM 11 England Charlie George
Substitutes:
MF 12 Scotland Eddie Kelly

Not a duff budgie amongst them ,
We could do with Armstrong's crossing ability on the run and corners too and McLintock , Simpson and of course Storey would add the bite that we miss in midfield now albeit he would probably now get sent off on a regular basis.
They were not lucky , just too good for the others and those two days at Tootenham and Wembley have stayed with me ever since.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Wouldn't say Arsenal were lucky in 70/71...They were coming off the back of a European triumph of sorts.. The Fairs Cup was not a recognised UEFA competition apparently.
I wasn't old enough to appreciate it, but watched enough of the videos and DVDs etc to know football then was brutally strong and you only got what you truly earned.
There was a magical aura about that team, the majestic shirts and Highbury itself added to it
ps I can only count six doubles in the Premier League era..Manure 3 Arsenal 2 Chavs 1..

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Bradywasking wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:27 pm
Wouldn't say Arsenal were lucky in 70/71...They were coming off the back of a European triumph of sorts.. The Fairs Cup was not a recognised UEFA competition apparently.
I wasn't old enough to appreciate it, but watched enough of the videos and DVDs etc to know football then was brutally strong and you only got what you truly earned.
There was a magical aura about that team, the majestic shirts and Highbury itself added to it
ps I can only count six doubles in the Premier League era..Manure 3 Arsenal 2 Chavs 1..
city last season

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:15 am
During this time when nothing else is happening with football, I've been watching some old classic matches from the late 1960's to early 1970's. There were some great teams around and the football was top quality. Amongst these great teams only one team completed a league and cup double, The Arsenal. They were a ball playing team and achieved something that no other team were able to in a golden age of football. There was Don Revie's "dirty" Leeds, who were a brilliant football playing team, Shankly's Liverpool, Busby's Manchester United, absolute legendary managers with equally legendary teams. Amongst this Bertie Mee's Arsenal were the only team to complete a domestic double. The League Cup was considered just as irrelevant then as it is now, if not more so.
When you consider that since the premier league started in 1992, the domestic double has been completed 7 times by 4 teams should put The Arsenal achievement in '71 ahead of everything else.
Or did we get lucky with it being a post world cup '70 season, and the great Leeds (won the Fairs Cup), Liverpool and Manure, possibly include Chelsea, (who won the CWC in '71) in that era of teams ,were off the boil? A bit like Leicester in 2016.
Wouldn’t call it lucky, they played in a league where virtually any team could beat any other, Stoke were a good outfit beat us 5-0 late in the season, we crept past them in the cup semi with a very late penalty from a handball on the line and Banks didn’t move for Storey’s ice cool penalty.
It was WBA who beat Leeds to let us back in.

We maybe ground out a few results, but that is will to win, resilience (didn’t want to put mental strength !)

I was too young (2) to know anything about it, but loved to read and absorb it all when I was old enough, would have been the time in history I would have gone back in time for.......until George E Graham came along and gave me the greatest night / week / month / season my life :barscarf:

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

I was at SHL on the Monday and Wembley on the Saturday and that week is as strong in my memory now as it was just after it happened. There was luck involved but that is true for most season's champions. Also, there was the strange mathematical conundrum of goal average rather than goal difference which meant we had to beat the scum or draw 0-0. Any score draw would have sent the trophy to Revie's thugs so the last couple of minutes at SHL were exhilarating and terrifying in equal measure. The pitch invasion was incredible. :barscarf:

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

Not sure about Arsenal being lucky in 71 but I know my old man was,I was born 9 months after the double was completed! :barscarf:

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Bradywasking wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:27 pm
The Fairs Cup was not a recognised UEFA competition apparently.
Fairs Cup was a FIFA executive committee creation & administered by them so nothing to do with UEFA. It is recognised by FIFA as a major trophy honour .

Arsenal beat Ajax in the semi, who then won the next 3 European Cup finals. so much for a second rate completion that Barca won 3 times, Man Utd & Chavs couldn't get past the semi's!

It's only the bitter & twisted Middlesex Swamp vermin who try to say it doesn't count! :cussing:

As for the lucky double wining side , I don't think so Bob Wilson was the goalkeeper of the season & the team never knew when they were beaten. :barscarf:
Last edited by Almunia is a clown on Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

robbo10 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:42 am
Not sure about Arsenal being lucky in 71 but I know my old man was,I was born 9 months after the double was completed! :barscarf:
So was I :barscarf:

NickF

Post by NickF »

No one who wins the league is lucky.

Everyone had to play everyone else home and away so if you finished top you've deserved it IMO.

You can argue about teams being poor but you would have still earned more points than anyone else.

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

falkirk goon wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:52 am
robbo10 wrote:
I'm February 2nd 72!
And if him picking me up from my aunts after the 79 Cup final was anything to go by I'm amazed the fucker managed it,we walked from Islington back down Southgate Road and Kingsland Road to Shoreditch and he literally staggered all the way! :oops:

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

robbo10 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:39 pm
falkirk goon wrote:
robbo10 wrote:
I'm February 2nd 72!
And if him picking me up from my aunts after the 79 Cup final was anything to go by I'm amazed the fucker managed it,we walked from Islington back down Southgate Road and Kingsland Road to Shoreditch and he literally staggered all the way! :oops:
And what was the name of your first pet Robbo ?

:barscarf:

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

StuartL wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:25 am
robbo10 wrote:
falkirk goon wrote:
robbo10 wrote:
I'm February 2nd 72!

Gilmour,a Basset hound names after my favourite geetar player!

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

robbo10 wrote:
falkirk goon wrote:
robbo10 wrote:
I'm February 2nd 72!
Im February 20th 72 and feeling every bit of my 48yrs :lol:
Lucky for you that he managed eh :lol: what a final 79 was to watch as a kid :barscarf:
On the 71 double..definitely awesome :barscarf: it was some achievement 8)

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

robbo10 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:27 pm
StuartL wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:25 am
robbo10 wrote:
falkirk goon wrote:
robbo10 wrote:
I'm February 2nd 72!

Gilmour,a Basset hound names after my favourite geetar player!
Great,

And your mothers maiden name ....... :rubchin: