Double 70/71 - lucky or awesome?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
robbo10

Re: Double 70/71 - lucky or awesome?

Post by robbo10 »

falkirk goon wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:21 am
robbo10 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:39 pm
falkirk goon wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:52 am
robbo10 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:42 am
Not sure about Arsenal being lucky in 71 but I know my old man was,I was born 9 months after the double was completed! :barscarf:
So was I :barscarf:
I'm February 2nd 72!
And if him picking me up from my aunts after the 79 Cup final was anything to go by I'm amazed the fucker managed it,we walked from Islington back down Southgate Road and Kingsland Road to Shoreditch and he literally staggered all the way! :oops:
Im February 20th 72 and feeling every bit of my 48yrs :lol:
Lucky for you that he managed eh :lol: what a final 79 was to watch as a kid :barscarf:
On the 71 double..definitely awesome :barscarf: it was some achievement 8)
Yeah an amazing final,the whole family round the tele,boiling hot day,great result....

Tell me about it,knees,back and neck all fucked!

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

StuartL wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:02 am
robbo10 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:27 pm
StuartL wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:25 am
robbo10 wrote:
falkirk goon wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:52 am

So was I :barscarf:
I'm February 2nd 72!
And if him picking me up from my aunts after the 79 Cup final was anything to go by I'm amazed the fucker managed it,we walked from Islington back down Southgate Road and Kingsland Road to Shoreditch and he literally staggered all the way! :oops:
And what was the name of your first pet Robbo ?

:barscarf:
Gilmour,a Basset hound names after my favourite geetar player!
Great,

And your mothers maiden name ....... :rubchin:
Hold on hold on,I see what your doing here,Are you one of these Nigerian princes who need my bank details and security question passwords? :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

robbo10 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:24 am
StuartL wrote:
robbo10 wrote:
StuartL wrote:
robbo10 wrote:

I'm February 2nd 72!

Great,

Hold on hold on,I see what your doing here,Are you one of these Nigerian princes who need my bank details and security question passwords? :lol:
A girl I used to work with got the other end of that - not a Nigerian prince but a Nigerian dole sponger that got her pregnant, got citizenship, and promptly fucked off on her! :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

As regards the original question: awesome.

Every team that wins the league or a Double will have moments of luck but will have won it because they were the best team consistently in relation to the other teams.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

robbo10 wrote:
StuartL wrote:
robbo10 wrote:
StuartL wrote:
robbo10 wrote:

I'm February 2nd 72!

Great,

No no my friend, all is well I have your date of birth, first pet, favourite football team, music for very valid friendship reasons.

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:29 pm
robbo10 wrote:
StuartL wrote:
robbo10 wrote:
StuartL wrote:

Great,

A girl I used to work with got the other end of that - not a Nigerian prince but a Nigerian dole sponger that got her pregnant, got citizenship, and promptly fucked off on her! :lol:
Doh!

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Watched the FA Cup semi-final versus Stoke yesterday. A fantastic game of football and blimey, leaving it late to say the least. I wish Dennis had the spirit of Peter Storey in the 1999 semi-final. Last minute penalty against the joint best goal keeper in the world. That goes in and it would've been another Arsenal double, and not a manure treble.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:39 am
Watched the FA Cup semi-final versus Stoke yesterday. A fantastic game of football and blimey, leaving it late to say the least. I wish Dennis had the spirit of Peter Storey in the 1999 semi-final. Last minute penalty against the joint best goal keeper in the world. That goes in and it would've been another Arsenal double, and not a manure treble.
You had to bring that up?! :banghead:

Two games I've never been able to watch back are that semi and Paris 06. If a football show shows that stupid goal by Incest Giggity Giggs then I turn that show off. Forever. Fuck that. Will never understand why one of THAT back 4 of all back 4s did not crease the incestuous arsehole. :roll: :censored:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Interesting aside to that semi in 99.

A mate of mine in London told me he nearly got into a kicking session with 2 black dudes that night when he yelled at Giggity Incest Giggs on the TV in his local boozer "fuck off Half Monkey!"

The two black dudes thought he was being racist and referring to Giggity Incest boy being mixed race. He wasn't and had to very carefully explain that it was a reference to Incest Ryan's stupidly hairy body. :|

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:58 am
Nos89 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:39 am
You had to bring that up?! :banghead:

Two games I've never been able to watch back are that semi and Paris 06. If a football show shows that stupid goal by Incest Giggity Giggs then I turn that show off. Forever. Fuck that. Will never understand why one of THAT back 4 of all back 4s did not crease the incestuous arsehole. :roll: :censored:
I always stop watching it once DB10 misses the penalty, whenever its repeated, always good seeing keane get sent off. I can never watch the 2001 cup final, cheated out of that one. It's funny that Henchoz fucking dive and handball save never gets mentioned during talk of the "Owen" cup final.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Whenever I watch highlights of games during the 70/71 season, and of that era, Bob Wilson, always goes down injured and has Fred Street running on with the magic sponge/ spray. Was there ever a game when Wilson didn't roll around injured?
He does the same in '73 semi final, and the 5-1 hammering against wolves in '72

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

That's because Wilson used to dive, hands outstretched at opposition players feet when they had the ball, brave as fúck he was. :shock:

He famously did exactly that in a 4-0 home win 70-71 against George Best dribbling in on goal having beaten the defenders! :barscarf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLTar8CxcAc

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Almunia is a clown wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:36 pm
That's because Wilson used to dive, hands outstretched at opposition players feet when they had the ball, brave as fúck he was. :shock:

He famously did exactly that in a 4-0 home win 70-71 against George Best dribbling in on goal having beaten the defenders! :barscarf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLTar8CxcAc
100% Truly brave keeper, remember the Best incident and that we won....think thats when the Nortbank were signing "come up the Northbank"
And the United fans crossed the pitch, not many made it in but probably regret it, either getting chucked out or battered (may have been another time, not 100% on that, TBH forgot it was 4-0)

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Started off well that season at home beat WBA 6-2 & a few more 4-0's vs Forest & Everton the previous seasons champions, unbeaten in league at Highbury with draws against Dirty Leeds, Palace & Southhampton. :barscarf:

Went most home games as a 10 year old with mates, even done a few jibs vs Southampton & Stoke, plus going aways at WHU & Swamp with mates older brother, semi replay vs Stoke at Villa Park on GreyGreen coaches booked up at Nags Head travel agents. :mrgreen:

Only my second season going games, I thought it was 'gonna continue, trophies every season! :roll:

Chavs home game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efc4OcG9nDs

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

The more I watch footage I watch of this first double team, the more respect I have for them. I've had the double vcr which is limited highlights of the season doesn't really give you a full picture. Thanks to replays of vintage MOTD and ITV equivalent which is regional commercial channels, where they show 20 minute highlights of matches, gives a much better profile of a great team. Dogged, brave, determined and a very, very good footballing team.

Given I'm of the age of 1988/89 league winning team and that era maybe I never had the full appreciation of the first "double" team I should have.