ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:31 pm
For me Fabregas sits in the same category as Brady. Left for a bigger club. No doubt it'll start a war amongst the Irish contributors to the forum. Brady bailed out on the club, and went to West Ham after Arsenal opened the door for him to return. How is he forgiven and Fabregas isn't?

Don't get me started on the hypocrisy towards O'Leary, the clubs record appearance holder, stayed for years when others deserted even though he was considered one of the finest CB's in Europe, throughout the 1980's.
I don't recall Brady staging his own TV show demonstrating how much he "loved Arsenal"?

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

There was only so much steam for television programmes in those days.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

A11M11 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:43 pm
There was only so much steam for television programmes in those days.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Quality. 8)

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Nos89 wrote:
For me Fabregas sits in the same category as Brady. Left for a bigger club. No doubt it'll start a war amongst the Irish contributors to the forum. Brady bailed out on the club, and went to West Ham after Arsenal opened the door for him to return. How is he forgiven and Fabregas isn't?

Don't get me started on the hypocrisy towards O'Leary, the clubs record appearance holder, stayed for years when others deserted even though he was considered one of the finest CB's in Europe, throughout the 1980's.
You won't start a war with this Irish contributor over your views on Liam Brady. I resented him leaving Arsenal , because I am , and was then, an Arsenal fan. I saw Brady as an Arsenal player not as an Irish one. Actually as a teenager I resented people assuming I supported Arsenal because of the Irish players. Still he was a world class player and my username is because of that and not his nationality..I hoped that someday he would play for Arsenal again because I thought the club was in his heart. I hated him in a West Ham shirt.
O'Leary was a great servant and player but I cringe when I see him on TV these days , he is so nice and sweet. His time at Leeds pissed me off, "his babies"..yeah Bowyer and Woodgate were cute kids. DB mentioned his antics after the title costing game in '99 but a year or so later we lost there again to a Oliver Dacourt free kick..After the game O'Leary goaded Robert Pires by blowing kisses at him, Pires reacted calling O'Leary " a whore" in French..O'Leary went crying to a journalist from Ireland saying Pires insulted him and it was so soon after his (O'Leary's ) father had died . The journalist was a well known cliche merchant in Ireland and he made a mountain out of the story

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Bradywasking wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:57 am
Nos89 wrote:

You won't start a war with this Irish contributor over your views on Liam Brady. I resented him leaving Arsenal , because I am , and was then, an Arsenal fan. I saw Brady as an Arsenal player not as an Irish one. Actually as a teenager I resented people assuming I supported Arsenal because of the Irish players. Still he was a world class player and my username is because of that and not his nationality..I hoped that someday he would play for Arsenal again because I thought the club was in his heart. I hated him in a West Ham shirt.
O'Leary was a great servant and player but I cringe when I see him on TV these days , he is so nice and sweet. His time at Leeds pissed me off, "his babies"..yeah Bowyer and Woodgate were cute kids. DB mentioned his antics after the title costing game in '99 but a year or so later we lost there again to a Oliver Dacourt free kick..After the game O'Leary goaded Robert Pires by blowing kisses at him, Pires reacted calling O'Leary " a whore" in French..O'Leary went crying to a journalist from Ireland saying Pires insulted him and it was so soon after his (O'Leary's ) father had died . The journalist was a well known cliche merchant in Ireland and he made a mountain out of the story

Like you when I was a kid I couldn't understand why any player would want to leave Arsenal. Players didn't leave Arsenal, they were sold. My only real memory of Brady as a player is for west ham, scoring the goal that knocked us the FA Cup and running into the west ham crowd to celebrate. Not too different from O'Leary with Leeds, probably worse as he ran past the travelling support celebrating.
To put it into context Brady was my Cashley, so whilst I respect him as a great player there's always that lingering feeling of betrayal.
Mind you it was a great goal he scored that day.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:15 pm
Bradywasking wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:57 am
Nos89 wrote:

Like you when I was a kid I couldn't understand why any player would want to leave Arsenal. Players didn't leave Arsenal, they were sold. My only real memory of Brady as a player is for west ham, scoring the goal that knocked us the FA Cup and running into the west ham crowd to celebrate. Not too different from O'Leary with Leeds, probably worse as he ran past the travelling support celebrating.
To put it into context Brady was my Cashley, so whilst I respect him as a great player there's always that lingering feeling of betrayal.
Mind you it was a great goal he scored that day.
I suppose when I started supporting Arsenal in 1972 the club were on the back of a double and played in the Cup final that season..Then there was a runners up finish in 1973. After that there was a nosedive until the run to the 1978 FA Cup Final. For a young lad surrounded by Liverpool fans Brady was the only bright spot in a couple of seasons when relegation was more on our minds than title challenges.
So yeah I resented him going , even if I consoled myself that he was going to Italy for "footballing reasons ". However I could never hate him as a person they way we did with Cole or RVP. For the above reasons.
For me there is an element of what if with Brady, Liverpool were dominating the league for years, Nottingham Forest were the only ones who stopped them doing five in a row..However in the first season after Brady left Liverpool had an off season in the league and Aston Villa came from virtually nowhere to win the title . Arsenal finished third with an unbeaten home record. Indeed Villa won the title after being outplayed and beaten at Highbury. What if Brady had stayed for one more season? Would it have made the indifference in a Leicester City type of season. ?
We will never know obviously.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

I loved Cesc as a player and still love him, I don't give a f.cuk that he went to Chelsea because Wenger didn't want him back. He carried Arsenal through years of shiteness in midfield and gave us a lot of 'highs' and I think he genuinely does love the club. Unlike someone like RVP who did pretty much fuck all for us after years of injuries and then f.ucked off to the Manc scum giving it large to the media. Wan.ker of the highest order.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

TeeCee wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:44 am
I loved Cesc as a player and still love him, I don't give a f.cuk that he went to Chelsea because Wenger didn't want him back. He carried Arsenal through years of shiteness in midfield and gave us a lot of 'highs' and I think he genuinely does love the club. Unlike someone like RVP who did pretty much fuck all for us after years of injuries and then f.ucked off to the Manc scum giving it large to the media. Wan.ker of the highest order.
And BT brings the *word censored* in as pundit for our matches :censored:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Rabiot and Coutinho linked again.

Does that mean we're getting rid of Ozil and Torreira? All gone quiet on the mass exodus predicted. Maybe Arteta has galvanised something within the squad that makes them wants to stay.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:28 pm

Does that mean we're getting rid of Ozil and Torreira? All gone quiet on the mass exodus predicted. Maybe Arteta has galvanised something within the squad that makes them wants to stay.
Would have to spend at least 100mil for them so that's a no go.

Anyway if the Newcastle sale goes through then that is where both them players will end up

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:

Torreira maybe, but ozil will not be going anywhere until his contract runs out :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I suspect that the outgoings will be largely made up of young players like guendouzi, maitland-niles and holding (all linked with leaving in the past few days) - if it happens we will be pissing away any hopes some of us had of the club having a proper plan of building a young hungry team, and we will probably see a return of the policy of signing former quality players here to pad their retirement plans :roll:

augie

Post by augie »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:18 pm
Nos89 wrote:

Anyway if the Newcastle sale goes through then that is where both them players will end up

No chance - Coutinho will def be available on loan cos no c.unt will spend big on him, and rabiot is a player that they will be keen to get rid of and everyone knows that so it will affect the price. Rabiot was trouble at psg, he is causing trouble at juve, and will likely cause trouble at whatever club he goes to - that would be a no from me then. He actually might end up at manure in a swap deal for Pogba - one moody French c.unt replacing another moody French c.unt :roll: Of course there is a possibility that somewhere along the line the penny will drop with rabiot and he will get his head straight, and if that day comes then some club will be happy cos he is a good player.
Btw a ramsey pogba swap is also a real possibility

John F

Post by John F »

Does anyone know what is happening with Saka and his contract.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

John F wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:42 am
Does anyone know what is happening with Saka and his contract.
a few weeks back there were reports that he was close to signing

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:20 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:18 pm
Nos89 wrote:

No chance - Coutinho will def be available on loan cos no c.unt will spend big on him, and rabiot is a player that they will be keen to get rid of and everyone knows that so it will affect the price. Rabiot was trouble at psg, he is causing trouble at juve, and will likely cause trouble at whatever club he goes to - that would be a no from me then. He actually might end up at manure in a swap deal for Pogba - one moody French c.unt replacing another moody French c.unt :roll: Of course there is a possibility that somewhere along the line the penny will drop with rabiot and he will get his head straight, and if that day comes then some club will be happy cos he is a good player.
Btw a ramsey pogba swap is also a real possibility
Yep, it almost feels like Juve got Ramsey for this reason. And probably why he went there. Learning from RVP's direct move to united. They were after him on a free last year. But that is Juve's style sign players on free and selling on a year or two later.