CoronaVirus / Adolf Putin / The Apocalypse etc

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Jock Gooner

Re: CoronaVirus Latest

Post by Jock Gooner »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:10 am
Jock Gooner wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:10 pm

I think when we look back you will see a government who were trying to balance the 80% will be fine against the NHS being over run against civil liberties against trashing the economy. Then against all of that you've suddenly got Prof Never Got a Prediction Right Ever telling them that everyfucker will die if they don't lockdown. The question isn't why did they listen to him, it's why the fuck after all his previous balls ups was he ever in a position to be allowed to contribute. I suspect we could have locked down 3 weeks before Germany and we would still have had more deaths than them. Age and obesity are both major factors and I have no doubt we will have far far more of the latter than the Germans. Can anyone really put a figure on lives saved in a pandemic when in reality they know next to bugger all about the virus. It's a rather sweeping statement to point the finger and claim that individuals are costing lives but I suppose it fits the narrative.

Remember one of the Oxford models which got ridiculed for basing an outcome on covid having been here a month earlier than officially recognised i.e. arrived in December rather than end January. It took a while to come out but we eventually got back to numerous cases in France in December and there are athletes from the Wuhan Military games in October who talk about severe flu like illnesses. Whether the authorities have been behind the curve on the origin of the virus or were trying to cover it up or are just plain stupid is anyone's guess.
One country I look at when I hear people saying we shouldn't crash the economy and allow herd immunity to do its thing in Sweden. Until a few weeks back the so-called "experts" were lauding Sweden with it's liberal attitudes to social distancing and the general policy of not closing down the economy whilst its neighbours Finland and Denmark had lockdowns similar to us. The death rate per mill in Sweden is 360, Finland is 55 and Denmark is 97. Lockdown clearly stops more people being killed.

Germans are fat, make no bones about it. I have been there twice (Munich and Frankfurt) and based on what I see in their traditional restaurants there's no reason to think they would be any more healthy than we are (dumplings and slabs of meat with gravy are standard). That's before we start looking at their beer consumption. In saying that obesity is a massive issue in this country, as are Vitamin D deficiencies which I think sooner or later will finally hit someone's desk in government. There are many respected medics on social media banging the Vitamin D drum. If you are deficient in Vit D/Overweight and get COVID it's a grim prospect.

You're 100% right in wanting an economy that will allow your kids to thrive rather than suffer, but I suspect the economy is going to crash anyway based on what other countries around the world are doing. In saying that it shouldn't be at the expense of the older generations. The problem with University attendance these days is everyone goes, back in the day it used to be a privilege rather than a right. So 30 years ago it wouldn't be an unfair statement to say most of the talented people in the country were graduates. I have recently come across young people in their 20s who left school after their A-Levels that are much more streetwise and business savvy, than a lot of graduates. Plus this isn't the first generation who have had it bad only to find an economy in a state when they left University. One of my mates graduated in 1991, he was unemployed for 9 months before accepting a job with the local council processing OAP bus passes, then he got a job in an HR dept of a local hospital. Today he is a Senior HR Manager in a hospital in Kettering. The problems your kids might face are nothing new IMO.

With regards to football, I said this before but trying to finish this season might just kick the problems the pandemic is causing into next season. Especially with fixture pile ups if we have a second wave.

Sweden now has the highest death rate per capita so from that perspective it can be argued they got it wrong however I suspect that if their economic hit is a fraction of ours then privately some of the Swedes might have a different view. If their economy tanks too then they really will have got it wrong big time.

Who says we should continue to put the older generations ahead of the futures of the young. Just because half of them are as thick as mince doesn't mean that it's right to continue to screw them over so the older generations can continue to have it all their own way. It's not just about universities, it's about all school leavers this year and quite possibly for a number of years to come. Whilst I am lucky enough to be able to bankroll my kids without any financial issues I fear you are underplaying the hand that the school leavers of today are being dealt. If the predicted recession of all recessions is what awaits us all then then the problems faced are going to be on a whole different level as opposed to 'nothing new IYO'. Then the debate about whether it was the right way to go will start in earnest.

It's interesting to see that after weeks of telling us that there is no way that more than a small number of people have had covid that they are suddenly estimating that London could be as high as 17%. Give them another couple of weeks and who knows what the next figure will be.

Football - honestly couldn't give two fu.cks about football until we reach a stage when it goes back to normal. Empty grounds, piped crowd noise, mollycoddled footballers.....just don't care, not interested.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

So when is that weasel Cummings going to resign?

If he doesn’t then all trust in the government is lost and we are on the verge of anarchy.

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:01 am

If he doesn’t then all trust in the government is lost and we are on the verge of anarchy.
Was there any trust in this shower of shite Government anyway before this latest show of contempt from a purely evil turd of a man?
The whole lot of them are a disgrace and constantly lie and fail to answer any questions properly. Anyone who voted for this mob of self interested arseholes needs to severely look at themselves.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

goonertux wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:52 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:

Was there any trust in this shower of shite Government anyway before this latest show of contempt from a purely evil turd of a man?
The whole lot of them are a disgrace and constantly lie and fail to answer any questions properly. Anyone who voted for this mob of self interested arseholes needs to severely look at themselves.

Oh, so you don't see yourself as a liberal or a leftie :lol: :lol:

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:53 pm
goonertux wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

Here we go again, Jock? No, I don’t see myself as a leftie or Liberal. Don’t like to be labelled. Just don’t like lying, self-interested greedy politicians who are only in it for financial gain and not the good of the people. ie Johnson, Cummings, Gove, Patel, and particularly Rees-Mogg (the worst of all of them!)

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

goonertux wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:50 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
goonertux wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

Here we go again, Jock? No, I don’t see myself as a leftie or Liberal. Don’t like to be labelled. Just don’t like lying, self-interested greedy politicians who are only in it for financial gain and not the good of the people. ie Johnson, Cummings, Gove, Patel, and particularly Rees-Mogg (the worst of all of them!)
Not like labour man Tony Blair, estimated £60 million net worth according to the Telegraph

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Have a look at the Kinnocks while your at it. Nett worth betwen 4 and 5 million 2019.

And then of course :- Police urge MP Stephen Kinnock to comply with coronavirus lockdown rules after visiting dad on birthday

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2020-03- ... -birthday/

He can get his coat at the same time.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

goonertux wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:
goonertux wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

:lol: Just calling it as it is. You can't stand the right wing press and you can't stand tory MPs.

Thats's fair enough.......BUT guess what....you're a bleedin leftie without a doubt :lol: :lol:

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:17 pm
goonertux wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:
goonertux wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

:lol: Just calling it as it is. You can't stand the right wing press and you can't stand tory MPs.

Thats's fair enough.......BUT guess what....you're a bleedin leftie without a doubt :lol: :lol:
Ever heard of the middle ground Jock? Also known as free thinking! Not a fan of Diane Abbott, Sadiq Khan, or a lot of what Corbyn stood for. Don’t have to be right or left!

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

goonertux wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:49 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:17 pm
goonertux wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:
goonertux wrote:

Ever heard of the middle ground Jock? Also known as free thinking! Not a fan of Diane Abbott, Sadiq Khan, or a lot of what Corbyn stood for. Don’t have to be right or left!

The middle ground....a bit of a fallacy that in politics today. Also known as being indecisive. Most of us can think for ourselves and that usually results in gravitating towards either the left or right. Better one of those options than vote for a bunch of no hopers like the liberals or the SNP and wasting a vote though.

If you don't like lefties or tories then you must spend an awful lot of time disappointed by politicians.

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

Again, a massive generalisation. You don’t have to remain solely Left or Right. Sometimes a leader comes along that appeals for one reason or another. Personally I think Tony Benn and John Smith were real men of the people and would have made great Prime Ministers, similarly Kenneth Clarke until he was kicked out by Johnson, along with many others, for not toeing the party line. I just detest liars, hypocrites, self servants, little Englanders and racists/xenophobes who have got this country into the mess we are in now.

augie

Post by augie »

Have I stumbled onto the Brexit thread by accident ? :? :banghead:

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

augie wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:20 am
Have I stumbled onto the Brexit thread by accident ? :? :banghead:
This discussion was originally about how completely shite the Government has handled the whole of the virus crisis. Jock then seemed to insist it was a left/right thing and reraised that old chestnut. I think we can all agree whether you are ‘left’, ‘right’ or an individual, this Government stinks and the whole Scummings scandal and their support for him is just the latest example.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

goonertux wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:30 am
Again, a massive generalisation. You don’t have to remain solely Left or Right. Sometimes a leader comes along that appeals for one reason or another. Personally I think Tony Benn and John Smith were real men of the people and would have made great Prime Ministers, similarly Kenneth Clarke until he was kicked out by Johnson, along with many others, for not toeing the party line. I just detest liars, hypocrites, self servants, little Englanders and racists/xenophobes who have got this country into the mess we are in now.

Not a massive generalisation at all, just a fact borne out by most elections that people tend to veer left or right in politics. Most accept their fate but you see yourself as a 'freethinker' which is debatable. That said I had you classed as a leftie and from your comments above I am pleased to see I was correct. You detest everybody who doesn't fit your opinion by sounds of it and from that list that just about includes every poltician that ever walked the earth, right or left.

shu

Post by shu »

Jock , you are doing a great job of building up a profile of him haha , really he he is a far left Corbyn lover (though he says not), but liking Tony Ben says it all . And more importantly he Is a remainder , so loser :D

But seriously whatever government that would be in would have a difficult job , we just have to hope there is a answer somewhere.