ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
mcdowell42

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by mcdowell42 »

BREAKING: David Luiz has been unable to agree a contract extension with the club and will be leaving Arsenal on a FREE in the summer. [SKY]. https://t.co/xsbTVLS6K0

Despite claims of a 2-year deal being signed initially. It was actually just a ONE year deal according to Sky.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:13 pm
BREAKING: David Luiz has been unable to agree a contract extension with the club and will be leaving Arsenal on a FREE in the summer. [SKY]. https://t.co/xsbTVLS6K0

Despite claims of a 2-year deal being signed initially. It was actually just a ONE year deal according to Sky.
Hope this is true,fuck him off the wage bill the useless chav ringpiece that he is 8)

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

falkirk goon wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:34 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:

Hope this is true,fuck him off the wage bill the useless chav ringpiece that he is 8)
Yep hope he is gone been a real disaster,yet another bad signing from Chelsea to add to the list 8m quid fee and over 5m in wages what a bad deal be it a year or two.I reckon Arteta would of kept him but like many clubs anyone clubs can get rid of they really don't need they will,gravy train over and not before time.

John F

Post by John F »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:15 am
John F wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:42 am
Does anyone know what is happening with Saka and his contract.
a few weeks back there were reports that he was close to signing
I am a bit worried that with all this spare time the club have yet to get him to sign especially as there are rumours of other clubs interested in him.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

mcdowell42 wrote:

Surprised to read it was only a 1 year deal, thought it was a two year deal. I will be a disappointed to see him go as he was starting to show the leadership and playing qualities his experience can bring to this squad. It's unfortunate he joined at such a challenging time for the club. The anti-chav chat about him is a bit immature. He is a quality player and won major trophies in England and european competitions, and was beginning to understand what Arsenal is all about. Watch that interview with Wrighty and you can tell he was beginning to understand the culture of the club under Arteta. I'd still play him in DM ahead of xhaka and torreira, the so called quarter back role.
This squad need a guiding experienced winning leading hand. Thats why I'd go for players like Luiz, Fabregas and David Silva to come in for a couple of years and drive that winning mentality into the squad. We simply do not have a squad with the mentality to win a league title. It's the mistake both Liverpool and Manure have made before us. Arteta knows how to win league titles as a coach, he needs a hand out on the pitch.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:39 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:

Surprised to read it was only a 1 year deal, thought it was a two year deal. I will be a disappointed to see him go as he was starting to show the leadership and playing qualities his experience can bring to this squad. It's unfortunate he joined at such a challenging time for the club. The anti-chav chat about him is a bit immature. He is a quality player and won major trophies in England and european competitions, and was beginning to understand what Arsenal is all about. Watch that interview with Wrighty and you can tell he was beginning to understand the culture of the club under Arteta. I'd still play him in DM ahead of xhaka and torreira, the so called quarter back role.
This squad need a guiding experienced winning leading hand. Thats why I'd go for players like Luiz, Fabregas and David Silva to come in for a couple of years and drive that winning mentality into the squad. We simply do not have a squad with the mentality to win a league title. It's the mistake both Liverpool and Manure have made before us. Arteta knows how to win league titles as a coach, he needs a hand out on the pitch.

Firstly, luiz is a quality footballer ........ but an average defender

Secondly, arteta knows how to win a league ?? I could be the cone man on a team including aguero, david silva, kompany, fernandino and win leagues without learning jack shit :roll: When he shows he can win a league with players of the quality that we have, then you can boast about his coaching successes

Btw, your suggestion that we return to a plan built around aging veterans like luiz, cesc and silva is not the way to go imo - if arteta is the coach that many claim him to be (not me btw), then he should be able to take players like guendouzi and martinelli, saliba etc, and develop them into quality players who are hungry to improve and win

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 1:34 pm
Nos89 wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

Secondly, arteta knows how to win a league ?? I could be the cone man on a team including aguero, david silva, kompany, fernandino and win leagues without learning jack shit :roll: When he shows he can win a league with players of the quality that we have, then you can boast about his coaching successes

Btw, your suggestion that we return to a plan built around aging veterans like luiz, cesc and silva is not the way to go imo - if arteta is the coach that many claim him to be (not me btw), then he should be able to take players like guendouzi and martinelli, saliba etc, and develop them into quality players who are hungry to improve and win
I'm not suggesting to build around experience title winning players, its to have them in the squad. It cannot be denied that wenger's three title teams benefitted from having players with a league title winning mentality already at the club, that knew how to the win the league.
We have a squad that has a cup winning mentality, not a league winning mentality.
Professional's that have a league winning mentality tend to take it with them. Milner at Liverpool, Toure at City, I still think Kevin Richardson played a more significant role in the squad of '89 then he is given credit for.
Arteta may or may not be the coach we want, but he is intelligent enough to have picked up a few tips from Pep on how to win the league. We could have a Brian Kidd or Steve McClaren, or we could have another Pep, who learnt from Cryuff. Who'd have thought Stroller would become Gaddaffi?

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

The Athletic say it cost #Arsenal up to £24m to sign David Luiz for one season. This breaks down as an £8m transfer fee to Chelsea, as much as £6m to intermediaries to fix everything up, & the rest on the Brazilian defender’s £10m a year salary. https://t.co/ZiA6KnTpqZ

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

augie wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 1:34 pm
Nos89 wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

Secondly, arteta knows how to win a league ?? I could be the ice cream cone man on a team including aguero, david silva, kompany, fernandino and win leagues without learning jack shit :roll: When he shows he can win a league with players of the quality that we have, then you can boast about his coaching successes

I don't think it's so much a 'Claim' Augie, more a hope...at least it is for me...He seems to have something about him that hints at his having what it takes to become a very good manager, though of course time and results will tell.

I remember when his name was strongly linked with the Arsenal manager's job after they'd got rid of TOF, and suddenly they appointed Emery. I was not confident at all in Arteta becoming the new manager, but having seen what appears to be a Change of the Players attitudes and a grittier determination by the squad, who for the first time in ages actually play as a team rather than a bunch of 'individuals' gives me hope that he will indeed become a success and so make Arsenal FC successful again.

As long as he gets a fair crack of the whip AND the financial support he is definitely going to need so he can mold the team to his liking AND get rid of the dead wood, of which there is plenty, then for me the future looks far rosier than it ever did under Emery.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 10:08 am
The Athletic say it cost #Arsenal up to £24m to sign David Luiz for one season. This breaks down as an £8m transfer fee to Chelsea, as much as £6m to intermediaries to fix everything up, & the rest on the Brazilian defender’s £10m a year salary. https://t.co/ZiA6KnTpqZ
£24m for a 1 year contract? So we pay over the odds and lose him on a free?

Absolutely insane deal. Which idiot thought that was a good use of our limited funds?

Cant blame Arsene and Ivan anymore. It’s scary that these things aren’t improving!

augie

Post by augie »

g88ner wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:04 am
mcdowell42 wrote:

Absolutely insane deal. Which idiot thought that was a good use of our limited funds?

Cant blame Arsene and Ivan anymore. It’s scary that these things aren’t improving!

I agree that the cost of the deal is scandalous and somebody should be reprimanded for it

Overall I'm not sure where I stand on luiz, and am not sure where I think we should be going from here - he clearly isn't a top quality defender, but neither are any of our other existing centre backs. He would be walking out the door on a free which would leave us one defender down without money to replace him. His wage (by our standards) isn't outrageous imo, so I'm not sure if I am veering towards keeping him for another year (no increase in wages and no signing fee though). It is clear (and has been for a decade) that our centre back department needs a massive upgrade, but this summer we look more penny less than in any time in our history, so I would assume that no big signing is incoming. We are being heavily linked with upamancano (I'd prefer Tah from Leverkusen), but where are we going to get funds to buy him when we have saliba's fee and more installments on the pepe deal due this summer ? This brings me back to my feeling that we might be better off keeping luiz for another year if we are potless, and maybe sell some of the other centre backs (mustafi and sokratisand the greek lad) so that we may get in some (limited) funds to help upgrade the squad

augie

Post by augie »

g88ner wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:04 am
mcdowell42 wrote:

Good to see you back buddy btw :barscarf: :barscarf:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

David Luiz wasn't a success at Arsenal and this was flagged on this forum and elsewhere when he signed. I think his heart is in the right place but so was Carl Jenkinson's but that wasn't a good reason to pick him. I hope Luiz goes, the transfer fee was too much, the wages too much but it is the alleged £6m fee for agents that I find most disturbing. Surely Arsenal FC have enough bad history with agents . Not suggesting it was illegal but certainly immoral.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

As soon as Mislintat went we fell into the grips of super agents as described in the following .
https://paininthearsenal.com/2020/05/31 ... r-problem/

John F

Post by John F »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sky sports are claiming according to his agent that Luiz wants to stay and milk the Arsenal has been fund and there is a high chance that he will be here next season.