Anfield 89 (and other matches) rerun on tv

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Re: Anfield 89 (and other matches) rerun on t

Post by StuartL »

John F wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:23 pm
StuartL wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:42 am
John F wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:06 am
[qu :D ote=StuartL post_id=1140630 time=1590603690 user_id=2717]
https://ibb.co/KVZ3zZc

My match ticket and travel club boarding pass :barscarf: :barscarf:
What was it like in the streets after the game Stuart.I went to the Wimbledon home game and I remember just being totally despondent after that match I thought we had blown it and my mate was pissing me off as he was being annoyingly positive claiming we would get a result at Anfield.

I felt the same initially - after the Derby defeat and letting. In the equaliser v Wimbledon and then Liverpool smashing West Ham 5-1, leaving us a mountain to climb.

However, we had already been up to Anfield that season in the league cup and played them off the park but only got a 1-1 draw (Rocky’s stunner with little back lift)
The coach going up was incredible, singing all the way, maybe bravado but actual belief too.
We got in half way through the first half, after Bould’s headed chance and our fans didn’t stop singing (not that you would pick it up from the tv mic’s :rubchin: :roll:

At 1-0 I said to my mate Lee “we are going to fucking do this” and even after Micky T’s spurned chance I knew we would get one more - I refused to give up on the lads.

Afterwards our return journey was quieter than going up. as everyone had given their all, mentally and physically exhausted (but well worth it)

We wre the first coach back to Highbury and we were met like conquering hero’s by the few hundred that were still there at silly o’clock in the morning, handshakes, back slaps, swigs of drink and an impromptu conga through the coach and out the emergency exit. :barscarf: :barscarf:
:D I watched it again today and I think we had the better team on the pitch but at the time such was the media hype of all things Liverpool I thought we had blown it.I went to the Derby game as well and that was a shocker.
[/quote]

Saunders initial goal was a great strike - Tony got done all ends up and just kicked him for the penalty for his second - luckily Smith scored a late consolation to make it 2-1.

It played into our hands that Liverpool could draw, lose 1-0, and still win the league - the 2nd goal, so , so late was perfect timing :barscarf:

nut flush gooner

Re: Anfield 89 (and other matches) rerun on t

Post by nut flush gooner »

StuartL wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:23 pm
John F wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:23 pm
StuartL wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:42 am
John F wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:06 am
[qu :D ote=StuartL post_id=1140630 time=1590603690 user_id=2717]
https://ibb.co/KVZ3zZc

My match ticket and travel club boarding pass :barscarf: :barscarf:
What was it like in the streets after the game Stuart.I went to the Wimbledon home game and I remember just being totally despondent after that match I thought we had blown it and my mate was pissing me off as he was being annoyingly positive claiming we would get a result at Anfield.

I felt the same initially - after the Derby defeat and letting. In the equaliser v Wimbledon and then Liverpool smashing West Ham 5-1, leaving us a mountain to climb.

However, we had already been up to Anfield that season in the league cup and played them off the park but only got a 1-1 draw (Rocky’s stunner with little back lift)
The coach going up was incredible, singing all the way, maybe bravado but actual belief too.
We got in half way through the first half, after Bould’s headed chance and our fans didn’t stop singing (not that you would pick it up from the tv mic’s :rubchin: :roll:

At 1-0 I said to my mate Lee “we are going to fucking do this” and even after Micky T’s spurned chance I knew we would get one more - I refused to give up on the lads.

Afterwards our return journey was quieter than going up. as everyone had given their all, mentally and physically exhausted (but well worth it)

We wre the first coach back to Highbury and we were met like conquering hero’s by the few hundred that were still there at silly o’clock in the morning, handshakes, back slaps, swigs of drink and an impromptu conga through the coach and out the emergency exit. :barscarf: :barscarf:
:D I watched it again today and I think we had the better team on the pitch but at the time such was the media hype of all things Liverpool I thought we had blown it.I went to the Derby game as well and that was a shocker.
Saunders initial goal was a great strike - Tony got done all ends up and just kicked him for the penalty for his second - luckily Smith scored a late consolation to make it 2-1.

It played into our hands that Liverpool could draw, lose 1-0, and still win the league - the 2nd goal, so , so late was perfect timing :barscarf:
[/quote]

Six quid seems like a bargain these days doesn't it for a seat too. My North Bank Terrace season ticket around that time cost £90.

I was at the Derby and Wimbledon games when nutty hit that screamer with his right foot vs the Wombles I thought it was on. I mean he didn't touch the ball with his right foot all season and you get one of those pick that out moments.

But Wimbledon in those days were a right pain to play as Liverpool found out in the cup final 1987.