More cuts at the Arsenal

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Herd

More cuts at the Arsenal

Post by Herd »

Since the beginning of the season ,Arsenal have been shedding scouts left right and center and cutting wages ,now today another 10 have gone and many wonder if this will be the end .
We are now down to a bare bones crew and the next thing to be scaled down is our youth team and academy spending which will result in more lay offs.
From the few people I know within the club nowadays the picture looks bleak and is in a state of constant turmoil with Stan ordering the budget to be trimmed and trimmed again.
Now of course the Virus hasn't helped anyone but the actions of the club will make us more and more dependent on Agents ,Great for Raul bad for us as we will be sold even more overpriced and under skilled duffers .
My only hope is that Arteta will stay strong as he seems to be the only person at the club who knows what he's doing !

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Re: More cuts at the Arsenal

Post by StuartL »

Herd wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:13 pm
Since the beginning of the season ,Arsenal have been shedding scouts left right and center and cutting wages ,now today another 10 have gone and many wonder if this will be the end .
We are now down to a bare bones crew and the next thing to be scaled down is our youth team and academy spending which will result in more lay offs.
From the few people I know within the club nowadays the picture looks bleak and is in a state of constant turmoil with Stan ordering the budget to be trimmed and trimmed again.
Now of course the Virus hasn't helped anyone but the actions of the club will make us more and more dependent on Agents ,Great for Raul bad for us as we will be sold even more overpriced and under skilled duffers .
My only hope is that Arteta will stay strong as he seems to be the only person at the club who knows what he's doing !
Little point in having scouts with no matches going on to scout players is there ?

I’d have thought scouts are on a season by season contract anyway ?

Maybe an overhaul of our scouting policy is well overdue if you look at some of the players purchased, nowhere near the required standard.

John F

Post by John F »

I thought we would be in a stronger position then most after this virus as we have a good crop of youngsters coming through but my worry at the moment is that stan is going to cash in on some of them starting with Saka.It does appear to be very short sighted to get rid of scouts and cutting back on the youth team.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

At this point in time it makes economic sense to scale back on the scouting network. They cannot travel, and there are no players playing to scout. It might be a temporary suspension of scouting network. Surprised it hadn't happen sooner.
I'd be much more concerned if they started to scale back the youth and academy staff. We've had this before under Graham. Quality of players coming through dropped considerably.

augie

Post by augie »

I would have more respect for the club if they sold auba (but not for measly £20m though) and kept the scouts in place, than have this cull which will change the direction of the club for years to come - I think that it is disgraceful that with all the money the premier league generates, there are still people losing their jobs, and it is especially disheartening when you see it happen in your own club :cry: :cry:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Dividends and Director bonuses need to be paid from somewhere, not to mention Ozil's wages :rubchin:

shu

Post by shu »

One week of ozil's pay might pay the wages of ten scouts for one year , how the fuck can that be right !!!! if it was me I would pay it of my pay

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Back in the 70's & 80's Arsenal had scouts all over Britain & Ireland, I think most were part time, some were ex players & coaches working in local football with a connection to the club.

I assume that's not the case nowadays? Although the idea of someone based locally looking for talent might not be as important as it once was.

Talented players under 10 often have management & agents before they pick a club from what I've seen?

One things for sure, the clubs youth policy, with a few exceptions has been dreadful for a very long time! :banghead:

Herd

Post by Herd »

The club is in a ruinous state with clowns running it ,I genuinely worry about where we are and where we are going !
Only Arteta has a clue amongst all the management muppets he wont stay if they don't get with him !