Select your title winning team

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Re: Select your title winning team

Post by StuartL »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:34 pm
Seaman
Lauren Adams Campbell Cole
Parlour Vieira Pires
Bergkamp
Wright Henry

Wrighty was an out and out goalscorer, Henry didn't mind assisting. Those two could easily play together.
Parlour ahead of Freddie because he was more versatile, and Pires slightly ahead of Overmars as he stayed longer, won 2 league titles, and was technically much better player than Overmars.
Lauren ahead of Dixon, mainly because he took the most important penalty of the 2002 campaign, vs Spurs at home to give us a vital victory in the title run in.
Campbell just ahead of Keown as he gave us a different defensive strength. Keown and Adams were similar in style.
Cole ahead of winterburn because he became the best left back in the world whilst wearing an Arsenal shirt. Arsenal were wrong in how they dealt with him, but Wenger believed Clichy would be become a better player. The Cole / Gallas swap deal cost us a league title in 2007/08 season.
I went 4-4-2 and had Freddie instead of Wright, had I gone 4-3-1-2 or 4-3-3 your team selection is spot on.

Just shows how many class players we had during that period, so many tough calls.

Clash

Post by Clash »

No mention of Alan Smith?

2 league titles in 3 seasons, 2 golden boots in those seasons ... scored the vital first goal at Anfield in '89 and a quality assist for the crucial second! :barscarf:

If we are talking purely about winning titles then for me Smudger beats Wrighty - who only won one title and missed most of the second half that season through injury.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

:rubchin: (jeeezuss this is NOT easy)

4 - 3 - 3

Seaman

Dixon . Adams . Campbell . Cole

Bergkamp . Vieira . Gilberto . Overmars

Anelka . Wrighty . Henry

wibble

Post by wibble »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:57 pm

4 - 3 - 3

Seaman

Anelka . Wrighty . Henry
Bergkamp on right wing?

Also you’ve selected 12 players and that’s just cheating!

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

wibble wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:09 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:57 pm

4 - 3 - 3

Seaman

Anelka . Wrighty . Henry
Bergkamp on right wing?

Also you’ve selected 12 players and that’s just cheating!
no it's not it's called WINNING! :D :lol: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Seaman

Dixon Adams Campbell Cole

Pires Vieira Ljunberg

Bergkamp Henry Wrighty

Couldn't leave Wrighty out he scored a hat load in a declining team before Rioch/Wenger turned things around.

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

Clash wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:41 pm

2 league titles in 3 seasons, 2 golden boots in those seasons ... scored the vital first goal at Anfield in '89 and a quality assist for the crucial second! :barscarf:

If we are talking purely about winning titles then for me Smudger beats Wrighty - who only won one title and missed most of the second half that season through injury.
Unfortunately Clash, Smudger never played in a premiership title winning team - football only started back in 199 whatever it was.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

StuartL wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:10 am
Clash wrote:

Unfortunately Clash, Smudger never played in a premiership title winning team - football only started back in 199 whatever it was.
Alan Smith used to get a lot of stick from Gooners back in the day, for the life of me I can't remember why but he wasn't as prolific for Arsenal after we won the league in 91. Of course, he scored that great goal in Copenhagen but he was anything but a starter that season.

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:23 am
StuartL wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:10 am
Clash wrote:

Alan Smith used to get a lot of stick from Gooners back in the day, for the life of me I can't remember why but he wasn't as prolific for Arsenal after we won the league in 91. Of course, he scored that great goal in Copenhagen but he was anything but a starter that season.
He sacrificed himself as the target man to accommodate Wrighty - Smith was so good at holding the ball up and laying it off. Considering how few of his goals were pelanties (copyright. Chris Waddle) his scoring record is superb.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Clash wrote:

Smith did a great job but ahead of wright, henry and DB10? Two men who broke the club record goal scorer and the man who enabled them to do it. He won more golden boots than wrighty, and I felt a bit sorry for wrighty when henry took the record off him so soon after getting it himself, especially when you consider Bastin's record had stood for more than 50 years.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Nos89 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:08 pm
Clash wrote:

Smith did a great job but ahead of wright, henry and DB10? Two men who broke the club record goal scorer and the man who enabled them to do it. He won more golden boots than wrighty, and I felt a bit sorry for wrighty when henry took the record off him so soon after getting it himself, especially when you consider Bastin's record had stood for more than 50 years.
Cant disagree with any of that Nos ... I think I just misread or misunderstood the question :oops:

Firstly I didn’t spot it was PL era only ( :roll: ) until StuartL kindly pointed it out! And I also understood it to mean contributions to title winning Arsenal sides. Hence elevating Smith to DB & TH status and above Wright (while excluding even bigger legends such as Walcott and Giroud :barscarf: )

I love Wrighty as much as anyone but he was unlucky in many ways that he peaked right in the middle of the period where we had stopped challenging for the title. I am not one of those who think him coming was detrimental to the team though. What was detrimental to the team during most of his time at the club was allowing the midfield to become devoid of creativity – something which makes Wrighty's scoring record all the more remarkable.