Brighton (A) postponed due to The Apocalypse.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
g88ner

Re: Brighton (A) postponed due to The Apocalypse.

Post by g88ner »

We really are in serious trouble here.

An awful defence, a talentless midfield and a flaky set of forwards. There’s not much character either.... and no money to improve things.

People criticise Arteta but honestly this set of players are utter dogshit.

Worrying times.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

g88ner wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:15 pm

An awful defence, a talentless midfield and a flaky set of forwards. There’s not much character either.... and no money to improve things.

Worrying times.
Is this the weakest set of players in the last 40 years? I reckon so. That last season of GG was miserable but at least we had a decent defence, keeper and Ian Wright up front. This squad is 4/10 across the board.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Fuck it before I go I'm having me another told you so moment.... :wink:

Getting rid of Wenger was never enough and not the right priority at the time. Wenger was the battle. Wiggy the war. Wenger was the symptom. Wiggy the disease. And here we are with Wenger gone and we are actually now far far worse than we were under Wenger and in a worse position.

We will never recover until wiggy is gone. The cùnt is killing our club.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I'm firmly in the we're fucked camp but i'm still not fully in the it's all Arteta's fault like some, yes he hasn't imposed anything on us and hasn't improved us visibly either but ffs he has been left this bunch of absolute dogshite to try to do something with. As said above he'll be gone by Christmas and some of these shit players will still be here and some of the worst culprates will have engineered a move away in the mean time.

We cannot move forward without a complete change around and Wiggy will never spend the funds required so whoever ends up taking over the shit show will be in even deeper shit further down the line.

augie

Post by augie »

g88ner wrote:

Worrying times.

Which is all well and good, but some fans (not aiming that at you) hung emery out for doing more than this with those same players :?

Anyway, as average as this squad is, there is still a better starting 11 in there than arteta is picking, and not playing martinelli at all should result in his p45

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:23 pm
I'm firmly in the we're fucked camp but i'm still not fully in the it's all Arteta's fault like some, yes he hasn't imposed anything on us and hasn't improved us visibly either but ffs he has been left this bunch of absolute dogshite to try to do something with. As said above he'll be gone by Christmas and some of these shit players will still be here and some of the worst culprates will have engineered a move away in the mean time.

We cannot move forward without a complete change around and Wiggy will never spend the funds required so whoever ends up taking over the shit show will be in even deeper shit further down the line.
The squad is shite but he continuously picks the complete shite to play

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:20 pm

Getting rid of Wenger was never enough and not the right priority at the time. Wenger was the battle. Wiggy the war. Wenger was the symptom. Wiggy the disease. And here we are with Wenger gone and we are actually now far far worse than we were under Wenger and in a worse position.

There were a few of us on here who also said this at the time and constantly got shouted down that Wenger had to be the priority, well that worked out well :roll: Wiggy has strengthened his hold on the club and shut down any opportunity he can be ousted, the only way he'll sell up is when HE feels it is not a worthwhile investment. As long as he can make at least some money out of the 'Enterprise', i refuse to call it a football club these days, he stays on and things will continue to get worse.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:26 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:20 pm

There were a few of us on here who also said this at the time and constantly got shouted down that Wenger had to be the priority, well that worked out well :roll: Wiggy has strengthened his hold on the club and shut down any opportunity he can be ousted, the only way he'll sell up is when HE feels it is not a worthwhile investment. As long as he can make at least some money out of the 'Enterprise', i refuse to call it a football club these days, he stays on and things will continue to get worse.
I remember you being one of them Muzz.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

augie wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:24 pm
Which is all well and good, but some fans (not aiming that at you) hung emery out for doing more than this with those same players :?

Anyway, as average as this squad is, there is still a better starting 11 in there than arteta is picking, and not playing martinelli at all should result in his p45
I’m frustrated with the lack of game time (zero) that Martinelli is getting because he’s so talented, energetic and a far better option than nketiah IMO

That said, do I think Martinelli would make a difference to our results? Not really. We’re awful :lol:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

And if he picked different players and they played shite he'd get rock all for that too.... he didn't buy these players. Emery and Wenger did but some people still blame him for not being able to get them playing well, there are one or two good players, a couple of decent ones and bunch of piss-taking bastards for the rest, fucking hell old red nose couldnt get this lot playing decent football :banghead:

Arteta should never have been appointed but who the fuck looking in from the outside would want to take on this bunch of useless *word censored*, ffs Ancelloti went to Everton instead of us, that tells a story in itself.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:31 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

And if he picked different players and they played shite he'd get rock all for that too.... he didn't buy these players. Emery and Wenger did but some people still blame him for not being able to get them playing well, there are one or two good players, a couple of decent ones and bunch of piss-taking bastards for the rest, fucking hell old red nose couldnt get this lot playing decent football :banghead:

Arteta should never have been appointed but who the fuck looking in from the outside would want to take on this bunch of useless *word censored*, ffs Ancelloti went to Everton instead of us, that tells a story in itself.
But the thing is that he doesn't pick different players. He chooses to stick with the same old shit

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

It's not Arteta's fault he isn't experienced enough or good enough, but it is a fact

As I said when he was appointed......there were something like only 7 or 8 managers of his age or younger appointed in PL history and none of them lasted more than 18 months.

It's all very well doing a Pep and taking over the club you served as a player with an academy full of the best players in the country and a guaranteed place in the CL every year. Its another thing taking over a team in free fall with the worst owner in the league and tuppence ha'penny to shit miracles with. Precisely the reason why we needed someone like Dyche. We're not a top 4 team anymore. We don't need a manager with European experience. We need a modern day George Graham to work with the very limited resources he's got and at least get a team to scrap and fight and grind out results. Palace somehow manage it, as do Burnley. Both of those clubs have far less than we do to manage with, and both could be above us imminently.

The difference is that they don't pretend to be big boy clubs who can rock up at any ground and tip tap the ball around and get results. They know they have to work twice as hard as the top 10 teams just to get a draw. The sooner our fans, our board and manager wake up to the reality of where our standing in the game is, the better. Until then keep trying to be a poor man's Man City and watch us struggle to stay up within the next year or so

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fuck this I'm off out to spend 30 minutes punching the shit out of the heavy bag in the garage - or "rodders' missus" as it's also known.

Yeah I went there!! :shock:

:D :wink:
She walked in at full time and asked me the score. Told her we lost and she fucked off pronto and hasn’t been seen since.

She knows me so well :lol:

Clash

Post by Clash »

Another dreadful result and questionable selection, although it was a nice goal from Pepe. And for Brighton's winner, why do so many keepers come off their line like Martinez did? If he stays on his line there is very little chance of any player scoring from where he scored from!

As for the manager, he is there to make the sum of the team better than its parts. Wenger wasnt doing that for the last decade (in fact he was doing the opposite) and Arteta isnt doing it now either. I think he is too inexperienced at the moment to make the sort of impact we need a manager to make and get more out of this admittedly limited squad. It looks like it was a mistake appointing him but making mistake after mistake is what our club do these days.

The whole thing feels so lifeless and aimless.
Last edited by Clash on Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

I'm not sure Allegri would improve Arsenal at this time such is the mindset allied to the lack of talent at the club..
Arteta may be out of his depth but he is the level of manager a mid table club with zero ambition will get..Looking over our shoulder now instead of looking ahead..Would fear for Arsenal in a dog fight against clubs used to scrapping for survival.
Last edited by Bradywasking on Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.