Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

Jock Gooner

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by Jock Gooner »

augie wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:25 am
Nos89 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:06 am
My huge concern is not with arteta, it is with the board, Will they support him? Have they told him to filter out the "international" stars because the club is skint?
His comment about Auba's contract was very telling. He said something along the lines of I want him to stay, its up to the club to make him feel wanted. I always thought the manager was the club. He's obviously been told to forget transfer targets, you'll get what you get given. This will kill the club in the long run.
In my opinion, he should be allowed to filter through the squad and establish who he can trust and keep. He worked with Nelson, Nketiah, willock and AMN when he was doing his coaching badges and knows their talents. Admittedly, we are not getting relegated, we are not hitting top 4, we do have a shot at the FA Cup. He must be given the time, without criticism, for the remainder of this season to tinker with the team to make sure we are stronger and better next season. His only target for the league is to finish above totteringham.

The problem with that is that what exactly what emery was doing when he got axed - I would go so far as to say that he was doing an exceptional job of turfing out the sub-standard shit we had when he joined us first, and was well on his way to removing the last serious cancers we have in the club. He was doing much better than arteta is and that still didnt save him, so why should arteta be treated any differently ?

Arteta shouldn't be treated any differently. He was never the answer to Emery but the problem is if we bin Arteta then who is realistically going to be next. We become a revolving door club for managers because there is no guarantee that they would get the next appointment right. We are still paying a very heavy price for the Ozil, Xhaka and Mustafi debacle both financially and on the pitch (or not in Ozil's case).

Add to that the ongoing inability to put together a competent centre back pairing and the apparent waste of credit on Pepe and we as a club are just utterly clueless. There doesn't appear to be one of the board/management who has any idea how to take the club forward which comes back to the wig wearing parasite imo. Any of our kids who finds a proper club showing any interest would be mad not to get out and I wouldn't blame them one bit for doing so.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:22 pm
augie wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:25 am
Nos89 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:06 am
My huge concern is not with arteta, it is with the board, Will they support him? Have they told him to filter out the "international" stars because the club is skint?
His comment about Auba's contract was very telling. He said something along the lines of I want him to stay, its up to the club to make him feel wanted. I always thought the manager was the club. He's obviously been told to forget transfer targets, you'll get what you get given. This will kill the club in the long run.
In my opinion, he should be allowed to filter through the squad and establish who he can trust and keep. He worked with Nelson, Nketiah, willock and AMN when he was doing his coaching badges and knows their talents. Admittedly, we are not getting relegated, we are not hitting top 4, we do have a shot at the FA Cup. He must be given the time, without criticism, for the remainder of this season to tinker with the team to make sure we are stronger and better next season. His only target for the league is to finish above totteringham.
The problem with that is that what exactly what emery was doing when he got axed - I would go so far as to say that he was doing an exceptional job of turfing out the sub-standard shit we had when he joined us first, and was well on his way to removing the last serious cancers we have in the club. He was doing much better than arteta is and that still didnt save him, so why should arteta be treated any differently ?
I actually miss the days when we didn't have a clue what was going on inside the club, business was done in a proper manner. There is a mole or two at the club, destabilising it and they need to be smoked out and got rid of. Since, we've moved to the director of football structure nothing stays within the club walls.
But in those days there were 'Arsenal' people at the club who knew what they were doing. What is abundantly obvious now is that no fucker at the club has a clue what they are doing. There doesn't need to be a mole to see what is going on, it's there for all to see.

Herd

Post by Herd »

I think he's between a rock and a hard spot .
He has a squad with a seriously bad attitude,short on reliable defenders and midfielders, a limited budget no control of who he buys and sells and a shambolic senior management !
I am however worried about his choices to play and what seems to be a complete lack of a playing style !

BTW What could have been the answer to Emry ???

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Arsenal have generally stumbled upon success rather than planning it. Aside from Chapman-Allison-Whitaker, the other triumphs have been because of good youngsters coming through together, or in Wenger's case the recruitment of a number of players he was aware of. Arteta does have a good number of youngsters coming through, but they are not as good as those coming through at Chelsea and Manchester City. Arteta does not have the knowledge of players from elsewhere. Unless Arsenal are prepared to spend big, Arteta will fail.

augie

Post by augie »

arrgee wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:43 pm
Arsenal have generally stumbled upon success rather than planning it. Aside from Chapman-Allison-Whitaker, the other triumphs have been because of good youngsters coming through together, or in Wenger's case the recruitment of a number of players he was aware of. Arteta does have a good number of youngsters coming through, but they are not as good as those coming through at Chelsea and Manchester City. Arteta does not have the knowledge of players from elsewhere. Unless Arsenal are prepared to spend big, Arteta will fail.

Dont agree with that at all - all the chavs have coming through is the vastly over-rated mason mount and the scottish kid billy something (cant think of his second name), whilst the chavs have what I consider the most over-rated player in england in foden. Who else have either got after that ? We have saka, martinelli, guendouzi, nelson, smith-rowe, and you could throw in names like torreira and tierney who are in their early 20s. The difference between those clubs and us is that they dont depend on young players coming through, and can play 2 or 3 alongside proven quality players - we need more young players to come through and be good enough

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

arrgee wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:43 pm
How do you know what Arteta's knowledge of players elsewhere is like?
All you have to do nowadays is pick up a copy of world soccer, and play FIFA to get an idea of players around the world. In actual fact that is how we are now scouting players. Unfortunately, Raul Sanelhi hasn't bought an updated FIFA since 2012.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

augie

Post by augie »

That's all well and good, and I agree with pretty much all of it, but this is a guy that was a wenger defender right up until the end - why did he not question the amount of money that wenger pissed away on sub-standard shite like the armenian pussy, the swiss cock in midfield, the washed up helmet head, and the joke that is mustafi ? Maybe if he hadnty of wasted so much money on 3rd rate garbage the club would be in a healthier state now, and those bull.shit transfers were done by one man and one man only (hint he is an arrogant french cock0 so legrove cant put that on raul or any super agent. Look closer to home legrove my good man, cos this kind of malaise doesnt happen overnight

There is no defending those new contracts though :oops: :oops: :cry: :cry: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

augie

Post by augie »

A decent read (although very little new info in it), but it suggests that AFC are intent on going with the Dortmund model based around young players, when everything arteta does, and every rumour around the club, suggests that it is going to be young players shown the door this off season :roll:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Nothing much of anything in this piece however I must admit to being stunned by the finishing piece to the article -

"the question is how low do we have to go before someone at KSE pays attention and makes the necessary changes to push Arsenal back to the top?

A question for the ages, fingers crossed it’s answered soon."

Christ, what dream world is this guy living in. Anybody want to tell him the bad news.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

The Arteta love in is officially over. All this bullshit that was doing the rounds back in Jan/Feb about the supposed big improvement being truly exposed

He got a 30 minute reaction at home to the Chavs and one home game against Man Ure - the extent of the new manager bounce

Now he is dealing with exactly the same problems Emery had to deal with i.e. a bunch of yellow bellied, overpaid wankers who have celebrated underachievement for years.....not to mention endless injuries and a prick of an owner

Lets see if he's as bold as his predecessor in alienating senior players......or whether he wants to be their mate. If he is bold enough to take the first option (which I sincerely doubt), hopefully this time round our fickle fans will recognise that it will take a year or two of sacrificing some of these wankers before a squad overhaul and rebuild will truly be complete. We could have course continued down that path anyway, but oh no.....lets press the panic button

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:14 pm
The Arteta love in is officially over. All this bullshit that was doing the rounds back in Jan/Feb about the supposed big improvement being truly exposed

He got a 30 minute reaction at home to the Chavs and one home game against Man Ure - the extent of the new manager bounce

Now he is dealing with exactly the same problems Emery had to deal with i.e. a bunch of yellow bellied, overpaid wankers who have celebrated underachievement for years.....not to mention endless injuries and a prick of an owner

Lets see if he's as bold as his predecessor in alienating senior players......or whether he wants to be their mate. If he is bold enough to take the first option (which I sincerely doubt), hopefully this time round our fickle fans will recognise that it will take a year or two of sacrificing some of these wankers before a squad overhaul and rebuild will truly be complete. We could have course continued down that path anyway, but oh no.....lets press the panic button

I think that he has shown that he is going the opposite route - restoring proven overpaid shite, and start squeezing out the younger players. Players with big reputations are the one's that appease a lot of modern day fans - look at the ozil situation as a case in point, cos fans STILL call for him to be in the team on bad days as though a player with his rep will make everything alright :roll: The reality is that ozil has contributed the square root of fcuk all in the last few years for us - the counter argument to that is of course than many of our younger players havent proved yet that they are up to the task either, but I believe that proper game time should be given to the younger players NOW, instead of wasting time sticking with players like ozil, xhaka, mustafi and luiz who have already shown us many times that they are not gonna get us back to where we want to be.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:50 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:14 pm

I think that he has shown that he is going the opposite route - restoring proven overpaid shite, and start squeezing out the younger players. Players with big reputations are the one's that appease a lot of modern day fans - look at the ozil situation as a case in point, cos fans STILL call for him to be in the team on bad days as though a player with his rep will make everything alright :roll: The reality is that ozil has contributed the square root of fcuk all in the last few years for us - the counter argument to that is of course than many of our younger players havent proved yet that they are up to the task either, but I believe that proper game time should be given to the younger players NOW, instead of wasting time sticking with players like ozil, xhaka, mustafi and luiz who have already shown us many times that they are not gonna get us back to where we want to be.
When Emery left we were still in Europe (in fact had won the group) and within striking distance of the European spots. More importantly turdbags like the ones you mentioned were either already out or being actively pushed out. Xhaka was gone without a doubt. Mustafi and Ozil too. Luiz was his stop gap as the wankers on the board gave him fuck all to work with and he needed a 'body' before Saliba joined

Here we are with 8 games remaining, sat in the bottom half of the table, out of Europe, Luiz handed a contract extension and Xhaka back as a mainstay (injury thank god prevents that again this season). Mustafi restored too. Hope everyone has enjoyed the improvement - I'm sure the first 30 minutes of the Chelsea game and the home game against Man U was worth it

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Xhaka starts tonight