Wolves A Sat 4th Ko 1730

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
wilson2.0

Re: Wolves A Sat 4th Ko 1730

Post by wilson2.0 »

Arsenal -1 was paying 12 to 1 on betfair. You can put up a tenner and win 120 back if Arsenal win by 2 goals, which was not unrealistic . 120 AUD in the bank!!

Now we are 14 to 1 to win the fa cup.

I know we are out favour, but there are some generous odds offered on Arsenal matches these days.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Has there been any explanation why Tierney was replaced?

Just seemed like a bizarre move

markyp

Post by markyp »

It's a sad state of affairs when you are a better team with xhaka in it, it's pretty clear now that that is the case but credit where credits due, hes no viera but he does a job that let's the rest of the team play.good win yesterday not to be sniffed at wolves were the in form team, another clean sheet too. One thing that I thought was abundantly clear yesteday was that some of the players really arent good enough, in relation to that Artetas doing well with what hes been given because god a lot of it is truly dreadful

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Fair fucks to Arteta and the team - for me that was by far the best performance we've seen over 90 minutes since he took on the job. The Man U game would have been the one prior to this, but that was very much 'new manager bounce' and United were powder puff back then and there for the taking. This was against a team that hadn't conceded a goal since the restart and who rolled us over up there last season

The defence stood firm, particularly in the first 20-25 minutes of the second half when they gave it a go. Tierney looks to be getting better by the week, and as much as I was gobsmacked when he was subbed......again, credit where its due to the manager because Maitland-Niles looked like a man possessed when he came on. I have NEVER seen him rip into tackles like he did and against Adama too, so deserves much credit for coming in to a game like that. Torreira showed in the brief period he was on, why we really do need him at this club. He's just always in the right place mopping up

Fuck me even Lacazette scored an away goal - and a pretty tidy one too.

I hope there's more days like this and I'll get the humble pie out of the oven and eat the lot !

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

One thing I noticed yesterday with Tierney and Cedric was they both seem to want to get quick crosses into the box especially in the first half, I think our forwards need to get used to it, it is a perfectly viable tactic but as our lads are not used to it the crosses quite often weren't meeting a red shirt. If Arteta can review these things properly and get the players into the right area at the right time those quick whipped in crosses really could cause problems for defences.

We still half a massive gap behind the front three and I think one of our biggest areas of need is someone to replace Ozil, a player who actually wants to play there and has the skill, not sit on the bench earning shit loads of money for nothing.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:56 am
One thing I noticed yesterday with Tierney and Cedric was they both seem to want to get quick crosses into the box especially in the first half, I think our forwards need to get used to it, it is a perfectly viable tactic but as our lads are not used to it the crosses quite often weren't meeting a red shirt. If Arteta can review these things properly and get the players into the right area at the right time those quick whipped in crosses really could cause problems for defences.

We still half a massive gap behind the front three and I think one of our biggest areas of need is someone to replace Ozil, a player who actually wants to play there and has the skill, not sit on the bench earning shit loads of money for nothing.
I noticed that too with the crosses yesterday, especially with Tierney down the left. I can't work Nketiah out at all - sometimes I see him arriving in the box and think he could make it.....other times he seems lightweight and uninterested. He looked both during yesterday's game - ironically when he got hooked he looked to have livened up a bit.

The Ozil/Ramsey replacement needs to happen soon too. Our goals ratio from midfield is absolutely awful. Willock had a golden chance at the end but his finish just about summed up the lack of confidence in our midfield to find the net. In the Premier League between Ceballos, Ozil, Torreira, Willock, Guendouzi, and Xhaka they have 4 goals which is frankly pathetic

augie

Post by augie »

markyp wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:42 am
It's a sad state of affairs when you are a better team with xhaka in it, it's pretty clear now that that is the case but credit where credits due, hes no viera but he does a job that let's the rest of the team play.good win yesterday not to be sniffed at wolves were the in form team, another clean sheet too. One thing that I thought was abundantly clear yesteday was that some of the players really arent good enough, in relation to that Artetas doing well with what hes been given because god a lot of it is truly dreadful

Have to say marky, I have a different assessment that you re xhaka's performance yesterday - ceballos (love him or hate him) was the one running about closing them down and winning tackles, and all xhaka seemed to do was look for easy ball out from our defenders so he could improve his passing stats (mind you his "pass" out over the sideline in the second half was shocking :oops: :oops: ).

augie

Post by augie »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:56 am

In yesterday's post game interview saka spoke about how he knows that Tierney likes to pull the ball back to the edge of the area, and that is why he positioned himself there for his goal - I like that cos it suggests a thought process/link up as opposed to the years under le cock when we had 11 players all doing their own thing :roll: Mind you announcing the tactic to every club in the league might not have been the smartest thing to do :lol:

I did wonder last night though about the thinking of Tierney pulling the ball back to edge of the area - is it because it is his preferred option or is it a recognition that we are not likely to win headers in closer to the goals and are likely to be outnumbered anyway. Even if it was arteta's tactics that made Tierney do it (I am assuming from Saka's comments that it wasnt), the questions regarding the reasons for it remain. Let me clarify that I dont care the reasons behind it but am just curious

markyp

Post by markyp »

augie wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:07 pm
markyp wrote:

Have to say marky, I have a different assessment that you re xhaka's performance yesterday - ceballos (love him or hate him) was the one running about closing them down and winning tackles, and all xhaka seemed to do was look for easy ball out from our defenders so he could improve his passing stats (mind you his "pass" out over the sideline in the second half was shocking :oops: :oops: ).
It's more the point that we dont lose when xhakas playing, the stats show this, it's a weird one but true, I know he does the simple but he does it ok and seems to understand his role now, hes more pro active instead of reactive life he used to be

markyp

Post by markyp »

augie wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:07 pm
markyp wrote:

It's more the point that we dont lose when xhakas playing, the stats show this, it's a weird one but true, I know he does the simple but he does it ok and seems to understand his role now, hes more pro active instead of reactive life he used to be

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

To be honest I was furious when Xhaka got booked yesterday, we all know he is notorious for rash tackles but yesterday he got booked for sliding on the ground to make a tackle with no studs showing which clearly took the ball with little force and the player basically fell over Xhaka clutched his leg and got him booked. In my opinion it was an example of a shit ref booking a playegr on reputation alone not the actual event. :rubchin:

augie

Post by augie »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:54 pm
To be honest I was furious when Xhaka got booked yesterday, we all know he is notorious for rash tackles but yesterday he got booked for sliding on the ground to make a tackle with no studs showing which clearly took the ball with little force and the player basically fell over Xhaka clutched his leg and got him booked. In my opinion it was an example of a shit ref booking a playegr on reputation alone not the actual event. :rubchin:

You honestly believe that ?? :shock: :shock: It was a nailed on yellow AT LEAST

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

augie wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:15 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:

No it wasn't

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:41 am
Has there been any explanation why Tierney was replaced?

Just seemed like a bizarre move
He was sat in the stands (no ice packs on his legs or anything), I thought it may have been because he 'physically' was struggling to deal with numbnuts adama, so AMN was brought on and in all honesty did do 'do a job' on him.

? :?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:25 pm
augie wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:15 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:

No it wasn't

He's behind you!!!!!!!!

:popcorn: