Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

arrgee

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by arrgee »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:29 am
arrgee wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:39 am
Ozil is ready. About fcuking time. Sicknote did this sh!t with Dick, hopefully Captain Black ain’t gonna let it happen, is he?

https://www.90min.com/posts/mesut-ozil- ... -liverpool

...taking to Twitter 24 hours ahead of kick-off against Liverpool, Ozil had a clear message for both his manager and Arsenal fans: “I AM READY.”

He's no doubt after a Wembley appearance. Fuck him.

One of the best examples of Wenger's toxic legacy. We've had no chance of getting shot of him with the huge salary he's on and even less chance with the final year of the contract upon us. He'll continue to sit tight, let the contract run down and then pick up a huge signing on fee with a Turkish club, as he leaves next summer on a free.

If it were up to me, I'd just accept the massive weekly financial loss, put it out of my head, forget he exists and let the fucker rot in the reserves for a year.
Emery attempted to manage him out and that didn’t work. He wouldn’t rot in the reserves, cos we don’t have them anymore. Even if we did have reserves, he would spend the next 12 months in bed with sickness.

(Strange name his missus has)

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

arrgee wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:58 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
arrgee wrote:
Ozil is ready. About fcuking time. Sicknote did this sh!t with Dick, hopefully Captain Black ain’t gonna let it happen, is he?

...taking to Twitter 24 hours ahead of kick-off against Liverpool, Ozil had a clear message for both his manager and Arsenal fans: “I AM READY.”

One of the best examples of Wenger's toxic legacy. We've had no chance of getting shot of him with the huge salary he's on and even less chance with the final year of the contract upon us. He'll continue to sit tight, let the contract run down and then pick up a huge signing on fee with a Turkish club, as he leaves next summer on a free.

If it were up to me, I'd just accept the massive weekly financial loss, put it out of my head, forget he exists and let the fucker rot in the reserves for a year.
Emery attempted to manage him out and that didn’t work. He wouldn’t rot in the reserves, cos we don’t have them anymore. Even if we did have reserves, he would spend the next 12 months in bed with sickness.

I knew I'd be picked up on saying "the reserves". :lol: Ok, what I mean is, he doesn't get anywhere near a matchday squad, so doesn't even make it onto the bench. We could certainly make him train with the youngsters and not the first team. I'd treat him as an absolute pariah for his final 12 months.

Emery nor anyone else would ever have managed him out, as that ridiculous wage meant he was here for the duration of the contract whether we liked it or not.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:31 pm
arrgee wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:58 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
arrgee wrote:

I knew I'd be picked up on saying "the reserves". :lol: Ok, what I mean is, he doesn't get anywhere near a matchday squad, so doesn't even make it onto the bench. We could certainly make him train with the youngsters and not the first team. I'd treat him as an absolute pariah for his final 12 months.

Emery nor anyone else would ever have managed him out, as that ridiculous wage meant he was here for the duration of the contract whether we liked it or not.

Exactly. All the talk of managing him out was / is just wishful thinking.

augie

Post by augie »

Was driving down from dublin last night so didnt see the first half and had to make do with listening to the commentary on sky go - did arteta do the same as emery did in victimland and play narrow thus allowing their full backs to attack at will ? Sky commentary kept hammering home the point that robertson was causing us real problems bombing down the wings. His tactics in scouseland this season, plus his team selection at home v palace last season, will always be the massive black marks on emery during his time in our club, and surely arteta couldnt use the same tactics against the c.unts could he ???

I did like his comments afterwards when he basically demanded transfer funds - too many managers deflect the question or understate their answer for fear of upsetting the board, but why sugarcoat such an important issue ?

I still dont want him to be in charge of any transfer funds mind

Herd

Post by Herd »

He made things clear player wise and he sent a clear message to the board of what needs to be done if we are to make a comeback.
Balss in their court.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I still genuinely believe that Arteta will have minimum input on transfers, he's Head Coach for a reason, and unlike with other ones who have proven ability he doesn't :rubchin:

It's like trusting the Apprentice with the coffee swindle, never going to happen..... he can make the coffees and thats about it :lol:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

augie wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:49 am
Was driving down from dublin last night so didnt see the first half and had to make do with listening to the commentary on sky go - did arteta do the same as emery did in victimland and play narrow thus allowing their full backs to attack at will ? Sky commentary kept hammering home the point that robertson was causing us real problems bombing down the wings. His tactics in scouseland this season, plus his team selection at home v palace last season, will always be the massive black marks on emery during his time in our club, and surely arteta couldnt use the same tactics against the c.unts could he ???

I did like his comments afterwards when he basically demanded transfer funds - too many managers deflect the question or understate their answer for fear of upsetting the board, but why sugarcoat such an important issue ?

Fuck me, that’s a hell of a drive on a pony and trap :shock:
How long did it take :D :wink:

augie

Post by augie »

goonersid wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:08 pm
augie wrote:

The pony and traps are living in dublin and not the other way around my good man 8)

Ironically enough though, my son is playing for a club with the nickname "gypsies" (bohemian's Under-15s) :oops:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

augie wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:12 pm
goonersid wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:08 pm
augie wrote:

The pony and traps are living in dublin and not the other way around my good man 8)

Ironically enough though, my son is playing for a club with the nickname "gypsies" (bohemian's Under-15s) :oops:
Bohemians in Ireland, don't make me laugh .... should be renamed The Troglodytes :shock: :wink: :lol:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

augie wrote:

No Augie, he didn’t play narrow. The two wing backs stayed wide and Nelson and Pepe stayed tucked in quite close to them. Well, I say Pepe, but most of the time he stood watching the game with a cup of tea and a pie. :roll:

By the way, congratulations to your boy. No mean feat to play at that level. What position does he play?

augie

Post by augie »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:55 pm
augie wrote:

No Augie, he didn’t play narrow. The two wing backs stayed wide and Nelson and Pepe stayed tucked in quite close to them. Well, I say Pepe, but most of the time he stood watching the game with a cup of tea and a pie. :roll:

By the way, congratulations to your boy. No mean feat to play at that level. What position does he play?

Cheers - he plays centre half (or he will if they ever start the fcuking league :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

augie wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:02 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:55 pm
augie wrote:

Cheers - he plays centre half (or he will if they ever start the fcuking league :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Have a word with Arteta. I'm sure that even as an U15, he'd be an improvement on the complete circus we've got at centre half !

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Wednesday might have been a bit of a freak result but no doubt today was the real deal.

The club has to back Arteta. He is improving bang average players, what could he do with a bit of class to complement our attack.

augie

Post by augie »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:08 pm
Wednesday might have been a bit of a freak result but no doubt today was the real deal.

The club has to back Arteta. He is improving bang average players, what could he do with a bit of class to complement our attack.

Which one's exactly ? Dunno about you but I have seen many howlers from mustafi, luiz and xhaka both before arteta arrived and since he took over, so tell me what average player is he improving ??

Fcuk me we dont half get carried away with one (outstanding) result :oops: :oops:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:12 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:08 pm

Which one's exactly ? Dunno about you but I have seen many howlers from mustafi, luiz and xhaka both before arteta arrived and since he took over, so tell me what average player is he improving ??

Fcuk me we dont half get carried away with one (outstanding) result :oops: :oops:
That's how I see it too - it's about getting consistent improvement out of these players that is the hallmark of a great coach. It was only last weekend Mustafi looked like Bambi on Ice against Kane, and when Kolasinac and Luiz looked like Laurel and Hardy. Go back to the first 2 games after lockdown for more comic book capers

Remember that even Wenger's soft as shite goons beat Pep's City and Conte's Chavski champs to win the cup in 2017. Dick had us rolling over the Spuds and getting decent results against the big guns too

And there lies the frustration- there is talent amongst the ranks and all three of the managers have managed to get it out of these players on occasions....and all three have also overseen some of the most calamitous, error ridden, soft as shit performances within a week or two of a great one. If Arteta eliminates the type of shite we saw against the Scum, Brighton, away to City, Olympiacos etc, then we can truly say he's driven consistent improvement. I still feel a performance like that is only a heartbeat away however. We will see in time. One things for certain...he will have to do all that despite the owner because he sure as hell won't be coming to his rescue