Wenger book - My life in red and white

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
OneBardGooner

Re: Wenger book - My life in red and white

Post by OneBardGooner »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:16 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:29 pm
Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:00 am
I get the impression that a lot of the paragraphs will end with: "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
Superb Partridge referencing there Perry. 8)
Thank you. The similarities between the two of them are quite striking.
Yeah, one's AP and one is AW... I'll let you decide what the 'W' stands for.. and it isn't wenger. :wink:

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

Eboue-Why? wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:40 am
Wenger bingo cards at the ready boys:
‘I turned down every other club in the world’
‘I gave absolutely everything for this club’
‘The infighting between the fans was partly to blame’
‘20 years in the CL’
And the classic........"I almost signed _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ "

Clash

Post by Clash »

‘’I sacrificed my marriage for this club but the fans still didn’t appreciate me’’ :yawn:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

robbo10 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:49 pm
Eboue-Why? wrote:
‘20 years in the CL’
Hopefully there will be a whole chapter on that. I'd look forward to reading about how many virtual champions leagues we would have won with Ronaldo, Drogba, Eden Hazard, Zlatan and Yaya Toure

Arsene Wenger - the lonely virgin sat drinking on his own in the pub, but who tells anyone who listens about all the birds he's shagged

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:56 am
robbo10 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:49 pm
Eboue-Why? wrote:
‘20 years in the CL’
Hopefully there will be a whole chapter on that. I'd look forward to reading about how many virtual champions leagues we would have won with Ronaldo, Drogba, Eden Hazard, Zlatan and Yaya Toure

Arsene Wenger - the lonely virgin sat drinking on his own in the pub, but who tells anyone who listens about all the birds he's shagged

Hopefully we'll get a chapter devoted to that young French singer he was shagging a few years back. Also, I fucking well hope he has a dedication to you and your Barbecues on the first page.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Bradywasking wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:21 am
I wonder if Wenger believes he is still manager of Arsenal?

You know what BWK.......and I don't want to frighten you all here....but for quite a while, I haven't been able to shake the notion that Arteta is in constant touch with him. :speechless:

Apparently they were very close when Wenger was managing and there seems to be a whole load of indicators that the old fraud is giving advice and worse still, that Arteta is listening. It's puzzling to most of us why Arteta has reinstated the likes of Xhaka and Mustafi as favourites and benched better options who, of course, weren't part of Wenger's team. Maybe we shouldn't be puzzled.

But beyond the playing staff, it's the style of play. Like most, I liked Emery as a bloke, but had to accept that his time had come when he was sacked, but at least he had increased the tempo of our game and wanted to get the ball from back to front at pace. I sat watching the Villa game the other night and it really was just like watching a Wenger performance. Painfully slow and laborious build ups, endlessly backwards and sideways, a lack of positive movement and giving the opposition all the time in the world to organise their defence and stay in shape. It's ridiculous how many times we have the ball in an advanced position and it ends up getting gradually passed all the way back to our keeper !

Anyway, I've been thinking that Arteta is either in close touch with the clown, or is a complete disciple of his "style". Worrying.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:59 pm
Bradywasking wrote:

You know what BWK.......and I don't want to frighten you all here....but for quite a while, I haven't been able to shake the notion that Arteta is in constant touch with him. :speechless:

Apparently they were very close when Wenger was managing and there seems to be a whole load of indicators that the old fraud is giving advice and worse still, that Arteta is listening. It's puzzling to most of us why Arteta has reinstated the likes of Xhaka and Mustafi as favourites and benched better options who, of course, weren't part of Wenger's team. Maybe we shouldn't be puzzled.

But beyond the playing staff, it's the style of play. Like most, I liked Emery as a bloke, but had to accept that his time had come when he was sacked, but at least he had increased the tempo of our game and wanted to get the ball from back to front at pace. I sat watching the Villa game the other night and it really was just like watching a Wenger performance. Painfully slow and laborious build ups, endlessly backwards and sideways, a lack of positive movement and giving the opposition all the time in the world to organise their defence and stay in shape. It's ridiculous how many times we have the ball in an advanced position and it ends up getting gradually passed all the way back to our keeper !

Anyway, I've been thinking that Arteta is either in close touch with the clown, or is a complete disciple of his "style". Worrying.
^^ This 100%

Reminded me of virtually every away game in the last couple of seasons under Wenger. The senile old tool himself developed that 'illusionary domination' nonsense and the stats bore that out the other night......something like 65% of possession without troubling the oppo keeper once. That final Wenger season when we won only the very last game at Huddersfield to ensure we hadn't gone from Christmas to end of season without an away win, was punctuated with performances like that shite against Villa the other night. Rather try something different and 'fail', than go back to the same old tippy tappy ***** we had to endure for much of the past decade and still fail !

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:09 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:59 pm
Bradywasking wrote:

^^ This 100%

Reminded me of virtually every away game in the last couple of seasons under Wenger. The senile old tool himself developed that 'illusionary domination' nonsense and the stats bore that out the other night......something like 65% of possession without troubling the oppo keeper once. That final Wenger season when we won only the very last game at Huddersfield to ensure we hadn't gone from Christmas to end of season without an away win, was punctuated with performances like that shite against Villa the other night. Rather try something different and 'fail', than go back to the same old tippy tappy ***** we had to endure for much of the past decade and still fail !

"Illusionary domination"...I'd forgotten that ! :lol: :lol:

It is troubling though, because we are back to the exact same style. The City semi-final seems to be the exception rather than the rule and of course, the difference there was that they had all the possession and we caught them on the break for the winner (it has to be said that the first goal was brilliantly worked).

When we have the majority of the ball and teams sit deep, we have no idea how to break them down and that was a latter day Wenger trait. The problem worsens as the quality of the playing staff declines and it's currently the worst since the mid 90s, when at least we had a defence.
I'm VERY worried about the final tbh. I fear another embarrassing loss to the chavs as per Baku. Fuck I hope I'm wrong. :(