Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

SteveO 35

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by SteveO 35 »

goonersid wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:04 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:57 am
One more time for the pea brains

Losing a final 4-1 is never something to be proud of. Hazard ripped us to ribbons in 20 minutes flat in a game that was going nowhere. Dick failed to address the right back position and that of course was a failing of his. AMN is never a right back, Bellerin is an utter embarrassment of a 'defender' and Lichsteiner was a geriatric, cheap option for the board and an utter failure. We are still as weak at right back today and anyone with a decent left winger will expose it time and time again

However, I'd say that getting to within a point of CL qualification and reaching a European final largely with Wenger's wankers and a few cheap additions wasnt bad at all. Anyone think we will get within a point next season? Wenger reached 2 European finals in 22 years and lost both - no shame in the Barca final, but losing to fucking Galatasaray with the team we had then....unforgiveable

If Arteta wins the FA Cup I will give him the credit he deserves. The last 3 games of the run were all tough ones and he would rightly be praised for that. Next season is the real test for him as he will face what Dick did - players he doesn't want but who were left on outrageous contracts and can't be shifted. So I dont want to hear any excuses about Mustafi, Ozil and Xhaka not being his players because nor were they Emery's.

Sid - just about every game last season you slammed every substitution or tactical decision that Emery made and called him every name under the sun. I just find it odd that Arteta can make equally baffling choices (Kolasinac, Willock, Xhaka etc) but that's fine?

As for the argument about games being dead rubbers....well perhaps you should ask the question why there are so many dead rubbers to start with. The league season was dead two games after the league restart, with that shameful defeat at Brighton that was every bit as bad as anything either of the previous managers served up. A team that hadn't fucking won since Christmas and are absolutely shite. People slated Emery's last few games of last season (and I agree with some justification) but mostly because those games mattered as we were still chasing CL qualification until the penultimate game. Rather have that personally than the league season done and dusted weeks before the end
Steveo, all pisstaking and mutual winding up aside :wink:
On Emery, I wanted him so much to succeed, but the warning signs were there very early!
Persisting on playing out from the back, with a goalkeeper and players who weren’t capable.
Team selections, tactics, being totally outplayed in the first half of every game, but miraculously avoiding defeat due to inexplicable poor finishing by the oppositin resulting in the most fortuitous run in football history. We all knew however that once we faced quality opposition we’d be fucked!
Against the victims, it could and probably should have been a ten goal drubbing!
It was downhill from then.
Despite that, the unbeaten run and spurs end of season capitulation in the league, offered us the simplest of chances to qualify for the clge.
So instead of praising getting to within a point of qualification, we should have been damning his failure not to qualify!
On Arteta, I want him to succeed, just as I did Emery.
When judging Arteta, the first thing to acknowledge, is unlike Emery, virtually none of this squad are his signings!
Emery had 8 of his own signings? if it turned out that only 3 were good enough to start, then that’s down to him.
Arteta has made mistakes, but the difference is, he seems to learn from them!
Since the resumption, we’ ve been playing basically three times a week, so kolasinic etc, were always going to feature, when we lost to Citeh in the first game, clge qualification was a longshot dependent on others fucking up and us winning almost every game.
He has however got us into the cup final, beating Citeh in the semi, was arguably our best performance as a clear underdog, since the Graham era, PSG and Parma spring to mind!
He has also not been tempted to recall Ozil or Dozy, both of whom are a disgrace to our club!
So, that’s why I’m still getting behind Arteta, if, come Xmas, he has 5 or 6 additions to his squad and we are struggling, then that’s different!
To be honest Sid, whoever took on the role deserved 2 years. I think Arteta deserves 2 years, but I'm upset Emery wasn't given that time also.....even though I know I'm probably in a minority of me and Augie

I hope Arteta has learned from his mistakes but I think the jury is out on that. Just when I think we're coming out of it there always seems like there's a Villa or Brighton performance round the corner. Perhaps the Watford game was a dead rubber but even in the more competitive games I don't get some of the weird substitutions that always seem to involve Willock, Pepe, Nketiah or Kolasinac one way or the other! Maybe you're right - a few new signings (pray fuck that the wig wearing twat supports him) and a regular schedule and maybe we will see some of these *word censored* gone forever

One thing I don't blame him for is the shocking state of our academy and i can't believe this doesn't get more focus. I'd love anyone to tell me the last genuine top class talent that thing has produced either in the centre half or centre forward position? I've said many times that I can't believe we can't produce a CB that improves upon Kolasinac. Likewise Nketiah couldn't get a fucking game at Leeds ahead of Bamford !

We hear about this wonderful academy and global scouting network but for my money it is shite. Wheres the Mason Mount, Phil Foden, Jack Grealish etc amongst our ranks? Perhaps Saka will have a decent career but the rest??

Anyway, it's a bloody cup final and if Arteta wins it you can give me as much shit as you like. I'll be so pissed I probably won't be able to read it anyway :D

COYG !!

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Have to agree with most of what you've said above SteveO, especially about the academy. There must be hundreds of thousands of kids playing football in the parks around this country week in week out and we cant find a decent centre half or centre forward amongst them, imagine how many there are like that across the world :banghead: You cant tell me there isnt a youngster out there better than Kolasinac :cussing:

gazzatt2

Post by gazzatt2 »

how is the hard of thinking Emery fan club tonight ?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

gazzatt2 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:56 pm
Lol. Love posts like this. We are very well mate - getting pissed and enjoying the evening. How is it in the depths of your garage knocking one out? :D

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

gazzatt2 wrote:
We need to put the Emery episode behind us!
As my mate steveo said we’ve seen 3 great performances since the lockdown so move on!
And Steveo, thats not bait! Good luck lad

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

goonersid wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:32 pm
gazzatt2 wrote:
As my mate steveo said we’ve seen 3 great performances since the lockdown so move on!
I don't mind the comebacks anyway mate. I've put my views out there before and admitted when I'm wrong and will happily do so again

However, I can honestly say whenever I've seen the Gooners win a trophy I've been too pissed to worry about who said what. Hopefully our friend here is enjoying his Pot Noodle tonight though :D

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Four More Years! :barscarf:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

:barscarf:
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:39 pm
goonersid wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:32 pm
gazzatt2 wrote:
I don't mind the comebacks anyway mate. I've put my views out there before and admitted when I'm wrong and will happily do so again

However, I can honestly say whenever I've seen the Gooners win a trophy I've been too pissed to worry about who said what. Hopefully our friend here is enjoying his Pot Noodle tonight though :D

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

If Arteta doesn't work out, Eddie Howe is looking for a job now

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

Well done Mikel and real classy of him to thank the club and Guardiola.

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Surely In Arteta we Trust now. He’s earnt the right to implement his plans now.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

I was scathing of the Arteta appointment, but I will admit I have been humbled. He deserves backing and support from club and fans.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Well he got us silverware in his first 3/4 season so I cant complain. Now he needs to go out and have a good transfer window. I worry about the style he is trying to implement because I am not sure the players we have can implement it but if nothing else I feel that most of the players have bought in to him even if they might not be good enough for his ideas.

It might actually be an interesting season upcoming but I am still far from convinced Arteta is the right man for the job and only time will tell, there is still that nagging doubt in my head that the owners wont back a novice coach and if like Emery things appear to go wrong the team ( senior ones) will quickly turn.

I also think he needs to replace Xhaka but I cant see it happening, he seems to be a go to player for yet another Manager, quite why completely baffles me. Getting rid of at a bare minimum Ozil and Kolasinac, preferably Xhaka, and maybe Mustafi (although I think we might have to retain him as Sokratis is likely to go).

Anyway an FA cup win is better than Fat Fwank, Jose Moanhinio and OG 'babyface' Solskaer have done so far this season :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:35 pm

Yes and no. He has earned the right to a chance to implement his plans, but I still dont trust him and still dont think that he is the right choice - I will get slated this morning for that and I dont understand it cos there are many, many Gooners who still would not have had confidence in emery had he won in baku last season, and for me it is the same thing.

Emery is gone so my issues with arteta are based on what arteta is doing and not what emery would have done. My huge problem is and will continue to be the faith he is placing in sub standard shit like xhaka and mustafi - as I said during the week, if he dispsenses with them then it will boost my confidence in him, but I feel it is more likely that he will give them new contracts rather than sell them

Yesterday (leaving out his blindness to a woeful centre midfield partnership) he did very well. I liked the pragmatism is what might be viewed by some as a long ball game, but for me it was a case of exploiting their weakness with long balls over their backline. Somebody (either arteta or luiz) changed the tactics midway through the first half and pushed luiz up onto giroud when he dropped deep, and that for me was the changing of the game.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

augie wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:59 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:35 pm

Yes and no. He has earned the right to a chance to implement his plans, but I still dont trust him and still dont think that he is the right choice - I will get slated this morning for that and I dont understand it cos there are many, many Gooners who still would not have had confidence in emery had he won in baku last season, and for me it is the same thing.

Emery is gone so my issues with arteta are based on what arteta is doing and not what emery would have done. My huge problem is and will continue to be the faith he is placing in sub standard shit like xhaka and mustafi - as I said during the week, if he dispsenses with them then it will boost my confidence in him, but I feel it is more likely that he will give them new contracts rather than sell them

Yesterday (leaving out his blindness to a woeful centre midfield partnership) he did very well. I liked the pragmatism is what might be viewed by some as a long ball game, but for me it was a case of exploiting their weakness with long balls over their backline. Somebody (either arteta or luiz) changed the tactics midway through the first half and pushed luiz up onto giroud when he dropped deep, and that for me was the changing of the game.
I think he deserves a chance to see what he can do but I don't understand why he can't see what we all see.

in the final few minutes when chelsea were really going for it, Xhaxa was just letting their midfielders through. He ran with them for a bit but did nothing to stop the play!