RIP Thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
Bradywasking

Re: RIP Thread

Post by Bradywasking »

Herd wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:00 pm
goonersid wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:26 am
John Hume RIP
Indeed not sure about the |Irish contingent on here think but for me he was one of the few men of real peaceful intent and integrity during the troubles !
Agree 100% .

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Hume was a great man. When he spoke to the IRA and their political allies to try and stop the slaughter he was slated by both the Irish and British governments. And then when they realised what he was doing might work they jumped on it and tried to sell it as their own work the shameful fuckers. And then the Clinton scum leached onto it. To add insult to injury most of the world still think it was Clinton that brought peace to NI. It was John Hume. RIP. 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Producer Martin Birch - He of Deep Purple's "In Rock" fame and many other Classic Rock Albums. R.I.P.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:38 am
Producer Martin Birch - He of Deep Purple's "In Rock" fame and many other Classic Rock Albums. R.I.P.
Legendary producer and engineer. RIP.

Also produced Iron Maiden from "Killers" onwards as well as Sabbath, Whitesnake, BOC, Rainbow and Fleetwood Mac to name but a few. Sad loss. :(

John F

Post by John F »

Alan Minter R.I.P.I always remember those great fights against Finnegan.He became world middle weight champion in 1980 but lost to marvellous Marvin Hagler the same year.

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

Diana Rigg RIP. We baby boomer adolescent males have very fond memories of Emma Peel.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Toots Hibbert from Toots and the Maytals

Had the pleasure of seeing him up in Norwich a couple of years ago, still looked and sounded great for his age

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... NKnYKEkN14

54-46 was my number :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Eddie Van Halen. RIP. Genius. Guitar God. Legend. The reason I first picked up a guitar and learned to shred.

I am heartbroken. :(

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:12 pm
Eddie Van Halen. RIP. Genius. Guitar God. Legend. The reason I first picked up a guitar and learned to shred.

Sad news. Not many real “Axe men” left now.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:12 pm

Jeeezzzusss I am in Shock....

It just feels like a Punch to the Guts and The Heart - He was one of my Music Heroes....

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I know we are meant to hold a Silence for when someone passes, but I've just opened a bottle of JD and the neighbours are about to get some (E)VH...

I need to get drunk and rock out till I pass out. :cry: :cry: :cry:

R.I.P Eddie you fuckin' LEGEND. :cry:

NickF

Post by NickF »

Terrible news. Still rate Van Halen's 1993 show at Wembley Arena as my best ever gig.

EVH RIP.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Saw VH as a very young teenager at Donington in 84. My best mate and I told our folks we were sleeping over at each others gaffs and then we basically ran away and boated and thumbed to Donington for the Monsters of Rock festival. Got semi-adopted by some English bikers who looked after us and bought us food. Man what a trip. :D

Eddie and Jake E Lee (Ozzy's guitarist) were immense that day. Especially Eddie. 8)

We came back to Dublin covered in mud booze piss and God knows what else. Went to another friend's gaff and borrowed clean clothes before heading home. :lol:

I only told my mom the truth about that weekend years later in my thirties and she still gave out shit to me lol. :D

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

NICE ONE! DB... I used to pull that kind of shyte back in the 70's my version of your story involved YES ( My fave band) Told M & P I was staying at Terry's (a drummer) mate in school and he said the same to his parents - We hitched to the Open Air Crystal Palace Bowl to see them Premier "Close To The Edge" = The Olympics were on at the time...

We hid our school uniforms in the house of the girl who would one day become Terry's missus - Lynsey - Blonde and Beautiful...Got into the gig and could only afford some Water Melon slices off some Rasta's outside the gate, they took pity on us and gave is some Jamaican patties (YUMMMY!)

We eventually got home 2 days late, exhausted bt in Seventh Heaven for weeks on end... :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Still got my ticket somewhere :D Got slapped up-side the head by my Mother - because she loved me and was " Worried out of her skin"...Then a right hander from my father for worrying my Mother...

I was till in Seventh Heaven - Even with an aching jaw :D

Sorry I digressed. :oops:

Sadly I only got to see VH once it was on their first UK tour supporting Sabbath (in London) it was 78 or 79 sorry it's all a blurrrr... ; we got the tickets because one of my mates dad owned a record shop and back in those days they used to get loads of 'freebies' from the Record Company Reps....Sabbath were playing to promote what for me was their worst album 'Never Say Die', ironically it was their last tour with Ozzy who left shortly after...and again; sadly, they were not good.

I was in the bar and my mate comes in and Screams "FUCCCCK YOU GOTTA SEE THIS!!!" and dragged me out ..Van Halen were on stage and Eddie was in the middle of "Eruption" - we just couldn't figure out where the other guitarists was...Eddie had his back to the audience and was doing stuff we had NEVER heard before....

Neeedless to say they blew Sabbath off stage, which under usual circumstances would have been quite a feat...But Eddie even then was un-friggin-believable and Dave Lee Roth was the consummate Front Man, BUT Eddie was always the King-Pin and Main Attraction... I remember returning from that gig and getting my sister to embroider my Levi denim jacket with the VH Logo in Red! 8) :lol:

They did the Van Halen invasion Tour in 74, but I was working for my uncle at the time and the cunnt wouldn't give me time off... Shoulda gone...but family pressures etc

Eddie was the first guitarist since Hendrix to TOTALLY CHANGE THE WAY THE INSTRUMENT WAS PLAYED AND SOUNDED and IS king of Rock/Heavy/Rock/ Metal guitarists, of which there are many highly skilled players etc BUT it was him who made that leap with the six stringed instrument that no one else had done and so everyone else followed and was influenced by his "GENIUS".

It's gonna have to take someone who is extremely Gifted and Rare to take the Electric Guitar to the next level IF there is one?

R.I.P Edward Val Halen = LONG LIVE THE KING. :cry: :?

herbert

Post by herbert »

20yrs ago today we lost an Arsenal legend far to early

George Geordie Armstrong

https://www.gunnerstown.com/arsenal/201 ... armstrong/