The welcome to The Arsenal, Gabriel thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Kingralph

The welcome to The Arsenal, Gabriel thread

Post by Kingralph »

Signed finally! Let’s hope you’re better than the last CB called Gabriel that we had at the club. :barscarf:

SteveO 35

Re: The welcome to The Arsenal, Gabriel thread

Post by SteveO 35 »

A bit like buses eh centre halves? You wait for a lifetime and then two come along at once. Been a while since we had a commanding pair of centre halves and I've never known a truly successful team not to have them - even City and the Bindipping Filth were bobbing along 3rd or lower with all their attacking talent before adding proper centre halves to the mix.

One can only hope he lives up to the hype and that he and Saliba go on to be that pair of CBs that we've craved for over a decade.

All the best Gabriel !

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

He's been given the No6 shirt

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Welcome Gabriel :barscarf: let's hope :rubchin: Dreams can come true.. :D :oops: :barscarf:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Welcome and good luck Gabriel, surely that means we are letting one or two go if anyone is mad enough to take them, come on Palace you know it makes sense :lol:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:27 pm
No pressure then!

He’s a big fucking unit, hope he plays as with as much power as he looks and fucking beasts people with his strength and height. A fucking dominant center back, been crying out for one of those with a decade.

Mustafi RIP :lol:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Kingralph wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:32 pm
Signed finally! Let’s hope you’re better than the last CB called Gabriel that we had at the club. :barscarf:
Blimey, that was a bolt out of the blue, didn’t see that one coming.

Luiz being given another year makes sense, with 2 new, long term prospects to bed in.

Surely Papa, and Mustafi are now gone ?

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

rodders999 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:26 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:27 pm
No pressure then!

He’s a big fucking unit, hope he plays as with as much power as he looks and fucking beasts people with his strength and height. A fucking dominant center back, been crying out for one of those with a decade.

Mustafi RIP :lol:
I think you’ve forgotten the towering presence of the big ducking German, my friend

Midz

Post by Midz »

Finally!

Supagoon

Post by Supagoon »

Welcome. He shall known as the Good Gabriel.

May he bless our defence with the best of success.

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

Supagoon wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:01 pm
Welcome. He shall known as the Good Gabriel.

May he bless our defence with the best of success.
Ooh the arc angel Gabriel

augie

Post by augie »

I understand the decision to keep luiz based on the fact that we had a limited budget in which to operate for new signings, but now I am struggling to see the point in keeping sideshow :? We now have signed two YOUNG powerful centre halves, signed mari on permanent deal only a few weeks ago, so why keep luiz on a big contract then ?? For those of us who have bemoaned the lack of a english/british spine to the team in recent years, this will be another blow cos it doesnt take einstein to figure out that this is the death knoll for holding and chambers career's at AFC, and that disappoints me tbh. This mornings papers suggest that napoli are in for sokratis and are hoping to get him on a free because he has less than 12 months left on his contract - he is another player I like (I loved the way he got in kane's face and scared the bejesus out of him every fcuking game 8) ), but he is 32 years old and clearly doesnt fit in arteta's plans, so I would be ok with the concept of letting him walk on a free.
Sadly mustafi is injured for the foreseeable - I say sadly not because I want him in the team, but because his injury could fcuk over our chances of getting shot of him anytime soon :cry: :cry:

Re Gabriel, it is great that we now have two young centre backs that seem to have all the attributes needed to excel (pace, strength and size) - I wont buy into the suggestion that they could be the cornerstones of our team for the next decade cos a lot can happen in that time (must likely they will want to get to a more ambitious club :roll: ). Anyway, given our current financial situation, building a team around young hungry players is 100% the right way to go, and I wish the young man the very best of luck with us and hope that he will be the big powerful number 6 of which we havent seen since the great TA6

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

augie wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:30 am
I understand the decision to keep luiz based on the fact that we had a limited budget in which to operate for new signings, but now I am struggling to see the point in keeping sideshow :? We now have signed two YOUNG powerful centre halves, signed mari on permanent deal only a few weeks ago, so why keep luiz on a big contract then ?? For those of us who have bemoaned the lack of a english/british spine to the team in recent years, this will be another blow cos it doesnt take einstein to figure out that this is the death knoll for holding and chambers career's at AFC, and that disappoints me tbh. This mornings papers suggest that napoli are in for sokratis and are hoping to get him on a free because he has less than 12 months left on his contract - he is another player I like (I loved the way he got in kane's face and scared the bejesus out of him every fcuking game 8) ), but he is 32 years old and clearly doesnt fit in arteta's plans, so I would be ok with the concept of letting him walk on a free.
Sadly mustafi is injured for the foreseeable - I say sadly not because I want him in the team, but because his injury could fcuk over our chances of getting shot of him anytime soon :cry: :cry:

Re Gabriel, it is great that we now have two young centre backs that seem to have all the attributes needed to excel (pace, strength and size) - I wont buy into the suggestion that they could be the cornerstones of our team for the next decade cos a lot can happen in that time (must likely they will want to get to a more ambitious club :roll: ). Anyway, given our current financial situation, building a team around young hungry players is 100% the right way to go, and I wish the young man the very best of luck with us and hope that he will be the big powerful number 6 of which we havent seen since the great TA6
I think Arteta’s preferred set up will be with 3 CBs, that’s why he has kept Luiz.
I’m no fan or “supporter” :wink: of bob, although I do think he looks far more comfortable in a back 3, he will also offer experience.

augie

Post by augie »

goonersid wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:56 pm
augie wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:30 am

I think Arteta’s preferred set up will be with 3 CBs, that’s why he has kept Luiz.
I’m no fan or “supporter” :wink: of bob, although I do think he looks far more comfortable in a back 3, he will also offer experience.

I assumed last season that he switched to a back 3 cos he had no faith that he had 2 centre backs capable enough to play in a back 4 - he had good reason to think that way

Midz

Post by Midz »

I wish this lad the very best for his career at Arsenal and hope he can be great for us.

I'm not getting carried away just yet as we haven't seen him play.
Remember that we all got excited when we signed Mustafi and look how that panned out. :D