Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

SteveO 35

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by SteveO 35 »

We've now beaten the bindipping murdering filth twice under Arteta, and also beaten City and the Chavs in big games, so there is no doubt that our ability to be competitive and confident in these big games has improved infinitely. As much as I defended Emery and still think he was harshly done, it can't be by accident that Arteta has made us much more resolute in these games. I now go into them not expecting the rimmings we were getting in the past 8 years or so of Wenger.

For me, the bigger disappointments under Arteta have been in the games we should win. The performances against Brighton and Villa were as pathetic as anything witnessed under the previous managers, and there were others in the earlier part of his reign too. If he can get more of a consistent tune out of the players when we're expected to win, he could just be on to something.

That opening game against Fulham will tell me a lot - has he turned us into a team who just turn up for the big games (and don't get me wrong, it's about time we did so not bemoaning that), or has he now instilled a more professional and dedicated approach against the lesser teams too. There's some big games coming thick and fast in the first few weeks of the season but they'll mean nothing if we piss it up against Fulham and West Ham in the two opening games. Lets hope he can get the players equally up for those games because we absolutely should be taking six points from those first two games

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:36 pm
I'll go with (c) Augie - puts Xhaka in the side because our central midfield options are so fucking dire he's actually the best of a bad bunch, frightening and all as that may be.

Sorting out both central midfield slots - occupied by Xhaka and Cabellos last season - has to be the top priority between now and the close of the window. Just as the signings of Saliba, Mari and Gabriel (plus the Luiz extension) will spell the end of Mustafi at the club, or at the very least in the side, proper additions in central midfield (Partey and Aouar?) will similarly see the demise of Xhaka from the team.

I'll go back to last January when the world and it's mother knew that xhaka wanted out and that we were happy to get rid - the accepted story at that time was that BMG were willing to pay approx £30m and no doubt we should have bit their hand off. Fast forward 8 months and to the outside world xhaka has had some form of redemption, so is it not feasible that we could get at least £30m if we sold him now ?? Wouldnt selling him and raking in £30m to go towards buying partey or Aouar be the most sensible and obvious thing to do ? Keeping an average player when it means that you cant generate the funds to buy better seems ridiculous to me, and I dont care how good his midfield partner is, when xhaka is in our midfield we will always struggle against better teams

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

The first few games will tell us a lot like SteveO says
Fulham A
West Ham H
Red dipper filth A
Sheff U H
Citeh A
Leicester H
Manure A
Villa H
These take us into November and there will be Europa and League cup games amongst these(I wouldn't mind taking the league cup seriously for a change as it's another piece of silverware)
Last season in these fixtures we took 10pts if you swap Fulham for Norwich who we drew with at Carrow Rd.10pts from.8 games is shite..we need between 15-18 I would say.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

augie wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:28 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:36 pm
I'll go with (c) Augie - puts Xhaka in the side because our central midfield options are so fucking dire he's actually the best of a bad bunch, frightening and all as that may be.

Sorting out both central midfield slots - occupied by Xhaka and Cabellos last season - has to be the top priority between now and the close of the window. Just as the signings of Saliba, Mari and Gabriel (plus the Luiz extension) will spell the end of Mustafi at the club, or at the very least in the side, proper additions in central midfield (Partey and Aouar?) will similarly see the demise of Xhaka from the team.

I'll go back to last January when the world and it's mother knew that xhaka wanted out and that we were happy to get rid - the accepted story at that time was that BMG were willing to pay approx £30m and no doubt we should have bit their hand off. Fast forward 8 months and to the outside world xhaka has had some form of redemption, so is it not feasible that we could get at least £30m if we sold him now ?? Wouldnt selling him and raking in £30m to go towards buying partey or Aouar be the most sensible and obvious thing to do ? Keeping an average player when it means that you cant generate the funds to buy better seems ridiculous to me, and I dont care how good his midfield partner is, when xhaka is in our midfield we will always struggle against better teams
Wasn’t it mooted to be just a loan deal with maybe some slight talk of making it permanent at the end of it but no actual obligation? That’s how I remember it anyway and I’m rarely wrong 8) Feel free to school me by linking an article from the time about it although I’ll probably dismiss it as bullshit anyway if it doesn’t suit my agenda. That’s how I roll baby.

I certainly don’t recall any talk of 30 million quid for him for sure. Not a hope in fucking hell we’d get near that sum of money for him in a pre or post covid world, fuck it we’d be insanely lucky to get even half that.....and even that would be at a stretch.

Wenger is the only mad bastard out there stupid enough to piss that sort of crazy number up against the wall for him.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:29 pm
We've now beaten the bindipping murdering filth twice under Arteta, and also beaten City and the Chavs in big games, so there is no doubt that our ability to be competitive and confident in these big games has improved infinitely. As much as I defended Emery and still think he was harshly done, it can't be by accident that Arteta has made us much more resolute in these games. I now go into them not expecting the rimmings we were getting in the past 8 years or so of Wenger.

For me, the bigger disappointments under Arteta have been in the games we should win. The performances against Brighton and Villa were as pathetic as anything witnessed under the previous managers, and there were others in the earlier part of his reign too. If he can get more of a consistent tune out of the players when we're expected to win, he could just be on to something.

That opening game against Fulham will tell me a lot - has he turned us into a team who just turn up for the big games (and don't get me wrong, it's about time we did so not bemoaning that), or has he now instilled a more professional and dedicated approach against the lesser teams too. There's some big games coming thick and fast in the first few weeks of the season but they'll mean nothing if we piss it up against Fulham and West Ham in the two opening games. Lets hope he can get the players equally up for those games because we absolutely should be taking six points from those first two games
This is the bit that has me struggling with whether Arteta can be a good manager, can he instill a discipline against smaller teams which if we're honest has been sorely lacking in the team for at least 10 years,.

Season after season not only would we fold against the big 4 or 5 teams but we'd arrogantly go into games against the fodder and royally fuck them up because of the 'we are the mighty Arsenal' and we'll walk this one attitude. IF Arteta can be ruthless and resolve that then maybe we can begin to turn things around and push back up the table but winning the difficult matches means nothing if we throw away the 'easy' ones :rubchin:

wibble

Post by wibble »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:20 am
SteveO 35 wrote:

This is the bit that has me struggling with whether Arteta can be a good manager, can he instill a discipline against smaller teams which if we're honest has been sorely lacking in the team for at least 10 years,.

Season after season not only would we fold against the big 4 or 5 teams but we'd arrogantly go into games against the fodder and royally fuck them up because of the 'we are the mighty Arsenal' and we'll walk this one attitude. IF Arteta can be ruthless and resolve that then maybe we can begin to turn things around and push back up the table but winning the difficult matches means nothing if we throw away the 'easy' ones :rubchin:
Yes, the hope is that the shit performance and result against Brighton was due to players focussing on the upcoming game cup game.

I guess time will tell if our new found ability to mix it with the ‘top teams’ has also resulted in more consistency

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Mikel Arteta's job title has changed to 'first-team manager' from head coach.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

He’s capitalised on the power vacuum left behind by the Raul departure and gone full blown Wenger and made himself king.

In 15 years from now we’ll be flying planes over the stadium trying to oust the bastard :lol:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

rodders999 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:21 pm
He’s capitalised on the power vacuum left behind by the Raul departure and gone full blown Wenger and made himself king.

In 15 years from now we’ll be flying planes over the stadium trying to oust the bastard :lol:
Yeah probably! :lol: :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Those fucking MKB's!! :banghead:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

rodders999 wrote:

Just as he's started to win me over a bit!

If he starts talking about judging him in May, I'll revert to my previous self :D :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:22 pm
rodders999 wrote:

Just as he's started to win me over a bit!

If he starts talking about judging him in May, I'll revert to my previous self :D :wink:
If he says that, I'll fucking join you! :lol:

John F

Post by John F »

wibble wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:06 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:20 am
SteveO 35 wrote:

Yes, the hope is that the shit performance and result against Brighton was due to players focussing on the upcoming game cup game.

I guess time will tell if our new found ability to mix it with the ‘top teams’ has also resulted in more consistency
It is probably due to the standard of players we have.Arteta can play counter attacking football against the bigger teams as we have Aub a and fast wide players but against teams that defend against us we spread the ball out wide all the time because we have no creativity in the midfield and teams know this and hit us on the break.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

In Arteta I trust 1000%. A revolution is starting boys and girls.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Playing Willian in the middle has changed the dynamic.